The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Yes, let's feast!

No, just one bard singing will stack it in BT2.

If the AC song doesn't self-stack, it should at least stack with the out-of-battle AC song.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Cool Bunny

I finished up in the catacombs tonight. Got my first taste of level drain. Glad that's healable without having to just level up again. I got an eye and some info about the mad god being a statue somewhere. There's a guardian statue of a dragon I haven't taken on yet in town, I guess it's time to go there.

My MVP at the moment is my bard. He's probably been the most useful the whole time, in fact. Early game he was my main source of healing. Now that I've got infinite songs from the bardsword he's a reliable source of buffs, some of which do seem to stack (not the healing, but the AC does). He's also my main damage dealer, using the fire horn. I've got him carrying two, in case the first one runs out or breaks or whatever, and I've picked up several more and sold them to the shop in case I need them back. It's a multitarget that doesn't drain MP, so I only use the magicians in fights if there's more than one enemy I want to get rid of in the first round.

My melee dudes are pretty much interchangeable. I don't really pay attention to which of them does what. The hunter seems to crit pretty reliably, the warrior seems to do enough damage to kill with each hit, and the monk is the same. Both the warrior and the monk have now reached LO AC, so I should probably switch the warrior back to the front spot since he's got double the HP of the monk. The monk does have the advantage of not needing equipment to get there, so he can carry drops.

My two magicians I mostly use for navigation. APAR is my favourite spell in the game so far, since it saves me having to walk back to wherever I was. PHDO is pretty handy when I can't be bothered going around something. Neither of them seemed to work in catacombs 3 though, which is a bit of a worry for the rest of the game. I wanna try out the sorcerer spell that improves your night vision when I remember. I wonder if it allows you to see in the dark zones, since it's supposed to work by improving vision rather than by lighting the area.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Etrian Odyssey is one of my fave series but no other first person dungeon crawlers that I've tried has that same level of quality of level and overall polish. Are there any real stellar dungeon crawl-os that the boys could recommend?
Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Etrian Odyssey is one of my fave series but no other first person dungeon crawlers that I've tried has that same level of quality of level and overall polish. Are there any real stellar dungeon crawl-os that the boys could recommend?
This reads to me like you are looking for relatively high production values, so I can suggest Legend of Grimrock and its sequel, though they have more of a puzzle emphasis than Etrian Odyssey. And even though I haven't played it, a lot of people ITT have recommended Stranger of Sword City which seems to have pretty good production value as well.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
This Guy

Have you tried the SMT dungeon crawlers? Strange Journey and Persona Q are both very Etrian Odyssey-like.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 PM
An Animal of Joy

Stranger of Sword City does have good production values, but it's just not as visually cohesive, and it has nothing remotely approaching the quality of EOs music. Also the bones of Wizardry are still poking through in a lot of ways. I think there's a demo though if you want to check it out.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 AM

I've tried Sword City and it was 'eeeehh' and I 100% adore Strange Journey. I think it is one of the ultimate treasures of our time. I haven't picked up Q yet, though I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
My two magicians I mostly use for navigation. APAR is my favourite spell in the game so far, since it saves me having to walk back to wherever I was. PHDO is pretty handy when I can't be bothered going around something. Neither of them seemed to work in catacombs 3 though, which is a bit of a worry for the rest of the game.
Yeah, you can expect to see that more often as the game goes on. The thing to know here is that it's applied floor-wide. Either you can APAR into a floor, or you can't, and it doesn't matter where within the floor you tried to go. The game helpfully does not inform you if your APAR failed to execute in the manner you had intended, so it's not a bad idea to follow up APAR with SCSI from now on.

But the good news is that few if any dungeons forbid APAR completely. You can still get mileage out of hopping around the early floors or warping from the (teleport-blocked) end of a dungeon back to the start.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Cool Bunny

I know I've said things like this before, but I'm in Harkyn's Castle 2 and it feels like maybe the true Bard's Tale starts here. The map is confusing, with lots of open spaces along the edges meaning I have to think about the wrapping a lot. I've found two small enclosed areas with no apparent way into them (Phase Door, which erases walls temporarily, doesn't work on this floor, nor does teleport). Maybe there are teleporters, or holes from the floor above, or maybe there's just nothing there (I also went back to the Wine Cellar, which had some dead space on the map and had a look with phase door, and while there are some walls in the hidden areas there's nothing of interest). There are also a bunch of floor tiles that drain your HP while you stand on or walk over them. It's not announced, you just have to be looking at your characters' condition. There's the annoying smoke, which reduces your vision to what's immediately in front of you and doesn't seem to be healable aside from by waiting it out (which takes forever) or going back to the guild. Enemies also seem tougher. Groups of dragons are showing up a lot. Usually I run from them because if I don't get lucky in the first round I tend to lose a few guys to them, which means getting out and visiting a temple. The traps in the chests have also changed, though I haven't set any off yet so I don't know what they do. My current strategy is everyone inspects, if someone identifies it I disarm, otherwise I use the disarm spell.

There's some interesting stuff, though. I found a mouth with a riddle that I solved by thinking about it (not sure if there are clues anywhere else I was supposed to use), getting me a magical shield. My bard's fire horns have started breaking though, so I'm reluctant to use magic items now. I'm using Mind Blast a lot, which hits all enemies, and just teleporting out when I run out of MP. There's also a strange thing at the point on the map marked "R" (20 north, 18 east). There's a wall I can see when I stand there but which disappears when I move towards it. The game says "something is not quite right here" when you stand there, so I guess it's intentional. Or a bug they decided to lampshade instead of fix, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

The EO3 threads are dead, but this is active, and it applies, so I may as well talk here.

I've been playing EO3! It's really good! To summarize my initial thoughts from the Like What You're Playing Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Everyone else is excited about Etrian Odyssey V, but in typical JBear fashion I am currently excited about Etrian Odyssey III! I started it up during my week off and now it's 30 hours of play time later and I'm currently obsessed with it. I was lying in bed playing it until after 2AM last night. I loved both previous EO games, but this one has really got its hooks into me. I want to be home playing it right now!

I love my sailing ship. Whenever I get bored or fed up with the dungeon, I go sailing, and when I've had my fill of that, I dive back into the dungeon, and the two feed into each other. I just can't put it down.

Oh, and I love how I can give back-benchers XP via quest rewards. Is that new? I'm making extensive use of it, anyway, and it's a really nice mechanic. I've make a few skilling mistakes, but only one major enough that I felt compelled to rest (I gave my Hoplite some spear attacks, but she's way too busy defending to hit things, so I'd rather she be better at that, and she's already caught back up).

Also, I get to be a pirate.

ETA: I never had as much problem settling on a party in previous games. I just can't decide here for some reason. I've finally decided to just bench the Ninja/Zodiac (she was good early on for setting up chasers to her AoE sleep attack with low skill investment, which I leaned on heavily to clean up groups in the first stratum, but knives kind of suck and she just doesn't hit hard enough any more), and I had decided to relegate my Farmer/Buccaneer to the B/Farm team, but now this new lava stratum has a bunch of damage floors so she's back on the A team to prevent floor damage. My Hoplite/Ninja and Zodiac/Arbalist are the core, but the other slots are fluid. My other two front row slot alternate between 2 of 3 of my Buccaneer/Prince, Gladiator/Hoplite, and Monk/Gladiator, while my spare back row spot alternates between my Arbalist/Princess, Princess/Monk, and the aformentioned Farmer/Buccaneer. I should really just firm things up so I stop spreading my experience so thin, but I can't. I can't even decide on a healer. The Monk/Gladiator was just supposed to be a stop-gap until I got my monster of a Princess/Monk up and running (which requires a heavy skill point investment), but now I just find myself wanting to specialize them both differently. Anyway, these classes/talent trees are super fun and it's a fun problem to have. The sub-classing in particular was a fun/pleasant surprise/optimization challenge!
Anyway, I don't know how well anyone remembers EO3 at this point, but the game was being a real jerk last night. I ended up in a boss and got rolled so badly that I concluded it must be a scripted loss, but nope! All I got was a game over screen and a reload option! I ended up getting it after 1.5 hours and a half-dozen tries or so, but maaaan.

It was a pair of merpeople, a caster lady and a spearman that kept covering her. They had this bullshit combo where she'd hit the whole party with ice, and then he'd chase and also hit the whole party with physical. Also, they both had sky-high defense that took forever to chip away at. I was only able to finally do it by buying a bunch of the line heal consumable and spamming them to supplement my Monk healing. I was starting to despair that I was under-leveled or badly skilled, but random encounters all still feel right for where I'm at. I was about 2 more losses away from grinding, which I almost never do in games.

Also, on that note, I'm half-way through the 3rd stratum and I just discovered that there's a skill that gives your bench members XP, and now I feel like an idiot. Like, I am just inconsolable. So much wasted XP for my farm team. I think I'm going to rest my entire back-bench and give them all points in the skill, but if anyone can speak to how long it will take them to recoup that with the passive bonus (they're all at ~level 12-15, IIRC), I'd appreciate it. I might well be better off just giving it a pass at this point and continuing to level them via quest/mission rewards.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
There's some interesting stuff, though. I found a mouth with a riddle that I solved by thinking about it (not sure if there are clues anywhere else I was supposed to use), getting me a magical shield.
This is around the point where you should start checking new equipment for special powers. The Ybarrashield you found casts YMCA, for instance (although it's not especially good otherwise).

Tags
walk before you crawl , y can't metroid map?