The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Default this feels like it should be a parody of something

Old 08-31-2016, 08:33 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
It's basically Jojo for smaller children (but adults are also welcome).
Go on.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Go on.

Last edited by hologramblue; 08-31-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: actually I will go on
Old 08-31-2016, 09:48 PM
contains words & diagrams

Keep going, if you will.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Keep going, if you will.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Default and back to the ENEMY STAND side of things:

Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

An interview with Kusaka and Yamamoto!

PokeSpe is the first manga Kusaka has ever worked on. God damn, that is some incredible luck. Imagine just kind of tripping and falling into working for a franchise that gets as big as Pokemon.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

ORAS 21 dropped. Ruby and Sapphire died in space. Show's over, everyone home.

actually they're alive and will be fine

There'll be a print-only epilogue when the third ORAS mini-volume comes out, but this was the last web chapter.

XY is still chugging along and as much as I enjoy it, I do really hope they can wrap that up before SuMo hits so they're not juggling multiple arcs anymore. Volume 53 supposedly will come out before next February, which means B2W2 will finally come to an end maybe?

Maybe we'll even find out where DP sits in the series chronologically by the time a Sinnoh remake arc rolls around.

If ORAS was any indication of how Kusaka's handling character development in remake arcs, I am so very ready for a Sinnoh remake arc.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
hi there

I mean, I'm sure the answer is "because PokeSpe", but

why is sapphire in the contest dress in that second shot
Old 09-06-2016, 05:50 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Because Ruby finally talked about his feelings and she still thinks pretty clothes are silly, but accepts that they mean a lot to him and doesn't mind wearing his glitter-soaked creation because she basically did the same thing with inviting him to go Irwinning around Hoenn so this is kind of like smooching if you read between the lines.

I think they're wearing the contest stuff under the spacesuits.

For a space date.

I have been waiting on this ship for ten years
Old 09-06-2016, 05:58 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Oh also

XY is good, villains have absolutely no chill as is usual

Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

I'm still the only person who cares about this thread and that is fine by me.

"Maybe XY will have a happy ending. I mean, the main character is a shut-in! The moral of the story will be that even though things are hard out in the real world, it's worth it!"

"...Well, I mean, they'll get to go home now, and-"

"....o-oh"

I mean I guess now I'm really interested in the tankoban epilogue, which I guess is the point, but

are...are you okay, Kusaka
Old 10-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I'd like to read it, but it's not available digitally, and I don't have room for dozens of comics anymore.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 PM
whatever it takes

I've been slowly making my way through my re-read. The Yellow arc was indeed way crazier than I had remembered! But at least I was never bored, and Yellow was a much more interesting protagonist than Red.

I'm one book into the GSC arc now, which I previously found a little slow but don't actually recall much of what actually happens. Hoping it does better the second time through.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:27 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

GSC is kind of - I feel like I've posted this before but I'll post it again if so. I think the style of the writing shifts along with the change in artists - Yamamoto's more detailed art lends itself better to dramatic battle scenes, so it feels a little more...I don't know, cinematic? After the switch. Mayo's hand injury started to progress around the beginning of GSC, so the art is super-blobby in those first few volumes and it makes the front half feel a little vague and slice of lifeish. I can never remember the order of events before the Whirl Islands or so.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I'd like to read it, but it's not available digitally, and I don't have room for dozens of comics anymore.
I desperately want some kind of digital release because I'm running out of room for the...nnnuhhh...35 or so volumes I have, out of 52 currently in proper volume size. Whoof.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

God, okay, I'm binging XY since it's over and I should have long since stopped being surprised by anything that happens in Pokespe but this is some Animorphs-grade shit in this arc and as of the halfway mark I feel kind of emotionally eviscerated.

XY is not a happy story. XY is about children who have been failed personally and systematically by the adults in their life and the society they live in. XY is about enemies that are too big and entrenched and powerful to score a clean win against. XY is about the implicit violence of the Pokemon world's premise, but all the worst things in it are the least fantastical things about it. Whenever a character goes off about the unfathomable cruelty of Team Flare's plan to secure immortality for the mega-rich by killing off everyone else, I have to sit back and feel kind of overwhelmed and cynical.

It's also really tightly paced - only 39 chapters, compared to, like, 86 for RS. Here's the link.

This arc and ORAS are really interesting to me because I get the sense that Kusaka has always been aware of the darker side of the Pokemon world (or at least his Pokemon world) - and not in an edgy/grimdark HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED, THAT POKEMON TRAINING IS SLAVERY way, but in kind of a nuanced social way? Since the word go he's had characters who have had really weird childhoods or lives in general directly because of the culture that exists around Pokemon training - Silver and Blue's kidnapping, Crys' strained relationship with her mother, the pressures on Green, every-fucking-thing that came out of Norman's weird trainer machismo and inability to just give his son a fucking hug - but they've always kind of faded into the the wild, Jojo-esque action manga tone of things, and been pieces of worldbuilding more than focal points of the story. XY and ORAS turn up the focus on the characters' emotional state and interpersonal issues, but they don't feel like they're introducing anything that hasn't been in the series before. It's more like...the action and the emotion have switched places? Like the battles/training/Pokemon metaphors all work out to highlight the real story, which is the interpersonal drama, instead of the interpersonal drama enabling the explosions and battles and whatnot.

I was going to make some self-deprecating joke about overanalyzing kids' media here but man, fuck that, this is a genuinely good comic and I've already used Animorphs as a reference point which kind of refutes that argument.

Anyways this panel is good.

WELL ARE YOU
Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Speaking of grimdark you ever read about Takeshi Shudo's novels about the anime? There's a fan translation somewhere. Boy his version of the Pokemon world sucks.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

I've seen summaries! That was...some weird shit. A lot of Gen 1 material is kind of bizarre. Got links?

PS: finished XY. The ending was...heavy. Nominally hopeful, and imo very good, but very heavy.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 PM
hi there

help

what have i gotten myself into
Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
TTLucas - Yesterday at 6:09 PM
I need $1.05 more on my order to get free shipping. Obviously the only reasonable thing to do is add a $42 boxed set of Pokemon Special
aturtledoesbite - Yesterday at 6:09 PM
I approve of this plan
So that's on the way now.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

YES GOOD, EXCELLENT

I need to catch up on BW/2.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Also apparently some kind of PokeSpe lorebook thing just came out and I'm seeing about getting my hands on it. I won't be able to read it but I still want it.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I finished Red's story last night. I vaguely commented to a friend about the arbok and magmars being killed and was assured that Red's chapter is the edgy one and the others are toned down. I'm not sure how I feel about that? Like, maybe it's because of the relative hyperviolence of the other manga I got at the same time, but it still felt pretty tame to me, and not all that out of place when I was specifically looking for something that kind of illustrates some of the consequences of pokemon and their abilities without being too horrible. At the same time, Red wins pretty often while ignoring the mechanics of the game and sneaking in a victory via the power of bullsh- friendship, and that's... not really grabbing me too much.

I've still got Yellow's story to read already sitting next to my bed, so I'll get started on that tonight.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Pacifist psychic healer Yellow makes winning through friendship way easier to buy in to.

Also, totally called it that Yellow was the little kid Red helped to catch a rattata a while ago.

Last edited by Lucas; 08-19-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Also also, seeing Blue Surf on Golduck is a gosh darned delight
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

None of the chapters are edgy, really, just more on par with, like...Digimon, in terms of how violence and high stakes factor in, rather than the very tame Pokemon TV show. Like, aimed at middle schoolers instead of kindergartners, that's kind of the scale at play here. Pokemon fans overestimate how "edgy" it is because they're used to Pokemon being a very sanitized product.

There's a tonal difference between RGB and later arcs, but I think it has more to do with pacing than "edginess". Early arcs feel like late 90s anime, with all the focus on action and gags and things happening very fast; later ones feel more modern, with more attention to worldbuilding and character development and more drawn-out, detailed scenes (of all kinds, battles and conversations etc etc).

If Red's inexplicable RGB victories aren't your thing, you'll probably like later arcs, because as the source games get more complex they give Pokespe more cool mechanics to work with and battles become really, really clever (and reflective of character personalities, it's super neat). Lots of legit wins and losses, and if you're already familiar with the Pokemon and moves/abilities at hand it's a fun ride. It's this kind of I KNOW THAT YOU KNEW THAT I KNEW THAT YOU KNEW shit except you can put it together yourself and it makes you feel smart.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I finished Yellow's chapter this morning. It was far more engaging than Red's jank, and the fights were a good mix of over-the-top freeform one-ups-manship without completely ignoring the basics of the games. Also, it made me connect emotionally with a doduo, which a week ago I would have considered impossible. Not going to work with that snubbull though.

Looking forward to getting into the next gen sometime soonish, maybe.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Red face

The way Mato draws Doduo and Raticate is so stinkin' cute.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hologramblue View Post
The way Mato draws Doduo and Raticate every single pokemon and most of his human characters is so stinkin' cute.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I'm reading Pokemon Special for the third time. I read RGB two times already, but always stalled out at the beginning of GS. This time I kept going, and I think the problem is that I don't like Gold much (and I only care slightly more about Silver). I guess I like the way how Red, Blue and Green are prodigies and win battles by just being awesome. Maybe it's just nostalgia, and that Gen 1 is the only one where I was really into the anime and the games.

When the story changed to Crystal I got hooked immediately, which definitely has something to do with her being so ridiculously competent at catching. By kicking pokeballs. Also, what's up with her mother? "What do you mean you broke your arms? Get of your lazy ass and fulfill your dreams, you worthless garbage person!" That felt a bit harsh.

But even so, RGB felt way more like an abstract power fantasy, where three little kids destroy a dangerous crime group. It does feel way less like a world that really works, and more like a video game in comic form? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

RS starts very promising, with a male protagonist (Ruby, I guess) who couldn't care less about Pokemon battles and only wants them to be pretty. Sapphire is introduced by looking like she was raised by wolves or something. I have high hopes for this arc.

Tags
pokemon