The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Cast Meat Metal on the cauldron, transmuting it to meat and ruining its power to contain magic?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM
We just don't know.

Heart Metal
*Barracuda riff starts playing extremely loudly*
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Indelible Inkling

Ok so the DM ruled that Tasha's Hideous Slaughter would cause death saving throws on random people in the AoE but that included many PCs so I went with Create Flood and Water.

Demons failed almost all swim checks and our Sorcerer cast Flight on the 2 people in armor. I Dimension Door'd away and we escaped, and later found the cauldron washed up with some magic items in it.

We also dinged 10 and found out the spider we had been sent to kill was in fact the temple itself which was coming to life to eat us. Overall success but I think the arachtaur who sent us on this mission will count it as a wash.

Last edited by periodical; 05-27-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:03 PM
is Earnest

Yay, congrats on making it out alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periodical View Post

I went with Create Flood and Water.

I think the arachtaur who sent us on this mission will count it as a wash.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:00 PM
We just don't know.

So my character is chosen of some sort of Storm God(s) but doesn't know which ones or why, and they mostly "guide" him very obtusely by nearly killing him with natural disasters. He started having dreams about a lava-filled cavern and a great magical forge, and lightning strikes guided us to a mountain that Duergar had started to mine. We found them running for their lives from "Living Fire."

We found the forge, and in a room with a bunch of stuff got surprised by a couple of earth elemental guards. They were about to attack until I spoke to them. (Part of my background included the language Auran, which came to me along with my storm powers when I was hit by lightning before setting off on my quest). They were like "...Oh. Uh. Hi. What are you doing here?" And I played it cool and ended up promising to help fight the fire snakes. There's a Malleus sealed behind a huge door with dire warnings about flesh passing it and molten blood running through the channels and so on.

Then we fought a fire giant. Motherfucker hits HARD. The material rightly pointed out that "Be careful when fighting your party. If you focus attacks on one person, you will easily kill them." He still tore us up pretty good, but we took him down and got the earth elementals to wall us into a room for a short rest.

I'm tooootally getting a magical hammer at the end of this.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 AM
is Earnest

Every once in a while I look around at different customized character sheets, but they tend to add a lot of complexity and features that are only useful for certain classes. I got tired of waiting for someone to make what I wanted, so I went ahead and did it myself!

(click for big)

I started with the alternative character sheet because I like the way skills and saving throws are lined up with their ability. I added Age, Height, and Weight to the banner because they're called out during character creation but there was nowhere to record them. I felt that speed and languages were a good fit for that section too. I split class & level and took out player name (it can go in the margin if you want). I cleaned up the proficiency box so that all proficiency information is in one place. Inspiration was out of place, and it's better as a physical token. Passive perception is redundant and players don't need to see it. I gave max HP its own box (heart icon stolen from 9bit's sheet on enworld), and removed temp HP and death saves since my players never used those boxes. You can keep track of that stuff in the current HP box. I also expanded the hit die box because the old one was almost unusable and it's an important mechanic. I got rid of ideals because they're vague and awkwardly tied to alignment. Personality Traits, Bonds, and Flaws are all much more concrete and helpful. Equipment got a bit squashed, but it's actually bigger than it used to be since it takes up more columns.

I'm pretty happy with it. I had to download and learn how to use GIMP to make it, but it was a lot easier than I expected. It did end up at a lower resolution than the starting file though, so I'm going to have to see how it looks printed out. Hopefully it doesn't end up fuzzy looking. Feel free to use it if you like it, and let me know if anyone has feedback.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:53 PM
is Earnest

We played a bit of D&D last night, and we had an extra player join us. One of the player's friends jumped in for a session as a Tiefling Sorcerer. He had only played 4th edition before, but he picked up on 5th without any trouble. The party was approaching the dragon's lair and had just avoided a bunch of pit traps, so I had him fall in through the ceiling, having stumbled into a trap door on the floor above. Our Cleric failed his saving throw, so the Sorcerer landed on him and the Rogue immediately tried to blind him with sand and tie him up. After a rough start, the Halfling who started the expedition hired the Sorcerer to help fight the dragon.

And the rest of the session was the dragon fight! It was only a young dragon, but he had a bunch of Kobold Dragonshields helping him out. The Rogue and Cleric were mostly distracted by the Kobolds, while the Druid turned her staff into a tree (blocking the tunnel leading up and out of the lair), and followed the dragon around with Moonbeam. The Sorcerer blinded the dragon early on, then hit it with Vicious Mockery and a Quickened, Empowered Fireball for a huge hit. Eventually the dragon shook off his blindness and dove into the sand on the floor, using his burrow speed to move and popping up to blast lightning at characters. The Sorcerer headed for a big pile of gold and spent the rest of the fight filling his pockets, while the Druid used Erupting Earth to blast the dragon up out of the ground. It hit the Druid with lightning and set her tree on fire (her magic staff is now scorched), and then just barely made it past the Cleric's Spirit Guardians and escaped with 2HP left. The fight ended with the Sorcerer disguised as the Rogue, and the Druid running around as an ape. Two Halflings died, and most of the party was down to single digit HP.

It was actually a reasonably difficult fight after all, and the rolls worked out well. I'm glad that the dragon just barely survived, because now he can join up with the BBEG and make a return appearance later on. I did not have time to bring the Flameskull back, and our Cleric is taking over as DM for a bit, so I think I'll just let that thread go. I'm still working on the West Marches stuff, but I should have that ready in a week or two.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Crabjörn

So hey guess who did a cool thing. (It was Nich.) Low-magic healer class go.

Last edited by Kalir; 06-20-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 PM
We just don't know.

So a few adventures ago we found a Bag of Beans and have been planting some. We've gotten 2 permanent increases to our lowest stats, some neat potions as fruit, and other fun stuff.

Today we planted one and 9 bright pink magical toads appeared. When we touched them they turned into gigantic versions of harmless animals like a penguin and a seahorse which all disappeared after a minute.

Then we planted a bean and a 60-foot pyramid came out of the ground, so we went inside. There we found a Mummy Lord and fought it. Surprisingly, we managed to kill the damn thing (We all thought we were fucked) and burn its heart phylactery. Then, seeing as I was rocking the spell Remove Curse, we walked out with 8 art pieces worth 750g each + 12,000 gold, plus an armload of potions and some goggles of night for our one human without nightvision. We damn near doubled our net worth and got about 1/4 of a level in one fight. (We're level 9, which you hit at 48k, but we were already at 55k and now we're at 59, and level 10 hits at 64. We haven't even started our level 9 adventure yet!)

It was pretty fuckin' sweet.

Then we planted one more bean and got a magical blue campfire with no special effect at all.

All in all, a good day of adventure.

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 06-20-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 AM
hi there

did you remember to grab the golden rune of zot
Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
is Earnest

Woah, that sounds like a fun adventure. I think I had conflated the Bag of Beans with the Bag of Tricks, but that's a cool magic item. I'll have to keep it in mind.

My West Marches campaign is more or less ready to play, but I'm super worried about running out of stuff so I want a little more time to prepare. I have the first four levels in every direction done, and beyond that I have areas sketched out up to level 10 and a lot of encounters and monsters picked out. I also have a really good template for those areas, so it's gonna be easier to make them going forward. But, I don't have much free time in the next two weeks anyway, and I'd like to be a bit more prepared before starting and spend a bit more time messing around with Roll 20. So I'm thinking of starting it up after the 4th of July weekend. Maybe I'll do a test run before that if people are interested.

This is by far the most I've prepared for anything in D&D, and it's been really fun to make and I've learned a ton. Even if nothing else comes of this, I've enjoyed making it and I can easily use this area as a new campaign setting going forward.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Bob

I mean, I'll play Patrick! If you'll have me, I'll even do so in person!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 PM
hi there

I'm up for a game! I can't do voice until mid-August, though.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Lucky In Love

My old group is finally reuniting for a monthly game, and we've set a date for July-December. Very Exciting! I'm doing a campaign based somewhat closely on the scenario and lore of Bloodborne, but with plenty of changes as well, and none of the same proper names except "The Healing Church".

They will be starting as strangers individually arranging for passage across the great lake to reach the city on a shady ferry that is willing to take them even though the church is trying to close it's borders in preparation for the upcoming hunt. The ferry will drop off these illegal immigrants in a slaughterhouse district at night, but the captain has been paid off by a gang to drop marks off on their doorstep.

Below is the handout I'm going to send in a couple days so that the players can start making characters. Let me know if you have any other good ideas that will mesh well with this type of setting and I can add them in.
  • This is a dark fantasy story, and will focus on themes of folly, loss, horror, and madness. The setting is gothic horror, think Dracula, Frankenstein, and Poe.
  • You may choose any race and gain its features, but you are still a human in look and stature. You will have to explain any unusual features like dark vision or spell-like abilities using your background.
  • Let’s have at least one woman PC.
  • Names should be somewhat archaic, but otherwise realistic. Think about an appropriate title or honorific.
  • This will focus on an urban setting, though surrounding wilderness and dungeons will allow all skills to shine at times. Your characters are foreigners, and should ideally be diverse in origin, coming from many different places.
  • An additional aspect of character creation should be your illness. A physical injury or deformity. A disease, cancer, or genetic condition. A mental illness or addiction. This must be something so disruptive in your character’s life that they are willing to do almost anything to heal. One of the PCs must be anemic. This is separate from your Flaw, though they may be related.
  • Roll for ability scores. 4d6, drop the lowest dice. Do this SEVEN times because:
  • There is a seventh Ability Score (gasp!): Sanity. Roll an extra 3d6 as normal upon character creation. Sanity can be lost by some failed Sanity saving throws. Your maximum Sanity can be increased when gaining levels like any other ability score. Sanity and Madness potentially create extra utility for these spells: Calm emotions, Lesser Restoration and Greater Restoration, Remove Curse, and Dispel Evil.
  • For divine casters: The setting has a monotheistic religion, but feel free to use any deity to represent your foreign belief system. If you want to be a part of this region’s religion you may imagine a saint, angel, or other divine aspect or agent of god that is connected to your chosen spell domain.
  • Clerics have access to the Death Domain (from the DMs Guide, let me know if you need the info)
  • Warlocks must choose a Great Old One as their Otherworldly Patron.
  • Renaissance firearms and explosives are officially in play. Nobody has access to the proficiency to begin with, but it may be trained later for 250gp and some downtime. It is unlikely that you will have enough money to buy one with your starting gold, but just in case: Pistols are 250gp, Muskets are 500gp.
  • The Fighter and Hunter Archery Fighting Style applies to firearms.
  • All characters will be able to spend Hit Dice to heal in combat using a common item, so do not feel obligated to play a healer if you don’t want to.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Definitely not a werewolf

Default and my axe

I, too, am interested in playing.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 PM

And my axe?

I mean, potentially. Depending what nights you're planning to run it and whether it's a system where I can create a character in my sleep.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Safe Space

Me too!

As with Googleshng, it does depend on what day/time.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
Bob

It depends on how Patrick intends to run it, but the original West Marches had the time as flexible, dependent on the players and the DM scheduling nights where some of them could be there. The point is to run a campaign with many players that aren't going to be there for every mission, allowing for people with busy schedules to schedule a mission when it happens to work.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
I mean, I'll play Patrick! If you'll have me, I'll even do so in person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I'm up for a game! I can't do voice until mid-August, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I, too, am interested in playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
And my axe?

I mean, potentially. Depending what nights you're planning to run it and whether it's a system where I can create a character in my sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Me too!

As with Googleshng, it does depend on what day/time.
Sounds good! In person players are welcome! I think we can manage to have someone without voice too, you'll just have to use the chat to communicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
It depends on how Patrick intends to run it, but the original West Marches had the time as flexible, dependent on the players and the DM scheduling nights where some of them could be there. The point is to run a campaign with many players that aren't going to be there for every mission, allowing for people with busy schedules to schedule a mission when it happens to work.
Yeah, that's the idea. I'm going to let people know when I'm free to run a game, but I'm going to vary the times up so that it's open to as many people as possible. For the trial run, maybe this Sunday or Monday? It's going to depend on how my weekend shakes out, I might push it back a little further still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
My old group is finally reuniting for a monthly game, and we've set a date for July-December. Very Exciting! I'm doing a campaign based somewhat closely on the scenario and lore of Bloodborne, but with plenty of changes as well, and none of the same proper names except "The Healing Church".
Woah, this sounds really cool. I'm especially interested in how the healing in combat and sanity scores work out. Healing in combat should make everyone much more tanky, but wouldn't extend the adventuring day at all since you're still using the same hit dice. That opens up a bit more flexibility in encounter design, but could make the characters overpowered if there are only a few fights each day. Sanity is just a cool idea. I want to someday do a campaign using Honor (which is pretty similar) and have it take place in a massive city that's connected to multiple planes. There would be tons of conflicting factions, and the Honor score would determine how each one treats you.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
is Earnest

Oh, and I actually got to play D&D yesterday. I played as my Sorcerer again, and we also had our Druid and a second Sorcerer. The DM attacked us with four statues that are completely immune to magic. The fight took 3 hours and we barely survived. We ended up killing them because the druid summoned bears and we spent the rest of the session running away.

The DM is new, and he recognized that he should have planned it out better based on our class composition, but that was rough. Hopefully I'll be able to use some spells next time.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Woah, this sounds really cool. I'm especially interested in how the healing in combat and sanity scores work out. Healing in combat should make everyone much more tanky, but wouldn't extend the adventuring day at all since you're still using the same hit dice. That opens up a bit more flexibility in encounter design, but could make the characters overpowered if there are only a few fights each day. Sanity is just a cool idea. I want to someday do a campaign using Honor (which is pretty similar) and have it take place in a massive city that's connected to multiple planes. There would be tons of conflicting factions, and the Honor score would determine how each one treats you.
Sanity should be really fun, especially indefinite madness effects which add new Flaws to your character sheet. Some of them make you a real liability if you choose to really try and earn some Inspiration. It also adds an element of long-term attrition over the course of the campaign which will be interesting.

The DMs guide has an optional rule to use Hit Dice in combat (called Healing Surges, after the 4e system) but you can only use it once per combat and use up to half of your hit dice I think. I'm thinking instead players will be able to use a Blood Vial as a free action to use one Hit Dice, so they won't have a huge burst of healing, and will also have to use some amount of resources in the form of an item to keep it from being to abstract of a power.

I'm okay with them being a little super-heroic if it turns out that way, because the hunter in Bloodborne feels that way too.
Old Today, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
For the trial run, maybe this Sunday or Monday?
As a rule, my mondays are much much clearer than my sundays.
Old Today, 03:19 PM
hi there

I'm open whenever!

Tags
concentration , edition wars , gith racism , tasha's hideous slaughter