The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I didn't know I wanted a Swamp Thing / Batman buddy cop comedy series.

Thanks to Tom King, now I know.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I didn't know I wanted a Swamp Thing / Batman buddy cop comedy series.

Thanks to Tom King, now I know.
Yeah, I just read it and The Brave and The Mold is everything I want in a Batman comic.

Also I hope Kite-Man (Hell Yeah) continues to be a thing in Tom King's Batman run.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Kite Man will have a miniseries of his own by the end of the year, Mark my words.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Read Enemy Ace: War Idyll. A good war comic, but I feel like I've felt all of these story beats before. I guess I feel a little bad about that since George Pratt clearly felt very strongly about the subject matter and worked on the book for three years. It has the murky look that one (or at least me) associates with painted comics of the 80's and early 90's which looks good but is a bit difficult to actually read as sequential art in some pages. Talking scenes work but action scenes, while looking good as skilled images, don't read as easily as I'd like.

And it is good, but as a "horrors of war" comic story, it doesn't feel particularly fresh, vibrant or as shocking/unsettling as I'd like.

I did like the philosophy of the title character and the idea that this character sees his enemies as being as human as his allies but just does his job (and he's also aware of the relative remove he has in killing compared to those fighting in the mud).

Speaking of well researched and technically well-done comics that didn't do too much for me, I also picked up an Age of Reptiles volume for cheap. It's very well drawn and laid out but... I guess I just am not that interested in what these dinosaurs are up to. Pretty art, though. I also really liked the way it was laid out. But I just wasn't too invested in the events of the comics (a predator dinosaur with a fin on his back eats some prey and finds and protects his mate).
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
King Of Space-Time

Please tell me you people are reading Ghostbusters 101

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Find Your Reason

I LOVE that the main comic Ghostbusters are getting so much mileage out of the dimensional teleporter Donatello built for them

That said, if that comic doesn't involve Abby getting into a fight with Slimer, it's a huge wasted opportunity.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 PM

I picked up some comics on the weekend and read them while JBear was getting some stuff ready for the Popularity Contest.

For cheap, I got Waterlogged, an anthology of aquatic tales from Vancouver-based creators. This is from Cloudscape, and anthologies seem to be their bag (I also recently got Mega-Fauna in the discount section, too). It's a perfectly mixed bag. I don't think there's anything really bad in it. Though there was one of such profound mediocrity that I wasn't too surprised that he's in the Canadian animation industry. Come on, guys! We had Reboot! What the fuck happened?!

I also got Get Jiro! For those who don't know it is a comic "by" (notice it doesn't say "written" or tell us exactly in what capacity it is "by") Anthony Bourdain and features a blurb on the front cover by Jimmy Fallon, so I was well warned.

Most comics "by" celebrities tend to be a special kind of bad. This... it was uneven. There's good stuff and bad stuff. The premise is that a bad ass sushi chef named Jiro is caught in a war between two competing food giants in a vague food-focused future/alternative Earth.

It started off on the wrong foot with me. Te first scene is a bunch of dude bros obnoxiously eating at our hero's restuarant, not following proper decorum. When one asks for a California roll, he cuts the guys head off. This part feels like Anthony told the actual writer "Ugh, I hate when people eat wrong. Can we kill them?" I mean, if it was actually funny, I might have given it a pass.

Anyway, as the book goes on, I liked it a bit better. It basically retells Red Harvest (or Yojimbo or A Fistful of Dollars if you prefer) with Jiro being courted by two factions of foody and deciding to use his position to force them into a final fight. Not a bad idea. That said, I wish the premise of the world held together a bit better. I certainly doesn't need to be believable. It's a bit vague though, which could theoretically work in its favour but kind of doesn't.

The two factions represent hippie local growers (represented as fanatic hippies) and big business guys that see food as product. And I think Anthony Bourdain might be trying to say the answer lies somewhere in the middle but really it's more about stupid fights and a crazy revenge plot.

It's not as bad as it could have been but it also could have been REALLY interesting. Instead, it hits a disappointing middle ground. Which is a shame, because the art by Langdon Foss is crazy good in some sections. I suppose I could try to scan some of my favourite picks and post them but I'm lazy. Anyway, I really think if he hasn't worked with Grant Morrison yet, he needs too. His character designs are pretty great, particularly the title character and his footwear, a cross between old Japanese sandals and sneakers. Also, there's a part where he gets a big tuna cutting knife he wields like a sword that's pretty badass.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM
noble beast

So, I finally caught up on Riverdale (TV series) which sent me down the comiXology rabbit hole so I could read the Dark Archie Comics: Afterlife with Archie and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I enjoyed them quite a bit, ended up buying the issues not on comiXology unlimited. I remember the author also wrote the short-lived Nightcrawler series, about which I remember nothing but Emma Frost being a wonderful asshole about how boring seances are.

Today I bought the new Iceman comic, which I can't read bc it's not on the app yet. Also, what the heck: there is a new Generation X series. I own every issue of the original, some obscure one-shots aside, for some goddamn reason. I don't have much interest now, but... I guess they just cycle through titles for their x-youth series. Fair enough.

Also subscribed to Marvel Unlimited again, which was a mistake b/c that app is terrible and I hate it.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 AM
This Guy

I picked up Girl Over Paris by Gwenda Bond, Kate Leth and Ming Doyle. A circus troupe goes to Paris and is menaced by a ghost. It is a perfectly fine comic. What is interesting to me, and why I dropped the $3 when it was on sale this weekend, is that Bond is credited as co-writer. Kate Leth has done good work on Patsy Walker Hellcat and I heard good things about Ming Doyle on Constantine, so I assumed I wasn't just picking up junk, but I wanted to see how it turned out. Because Gwenda Bond has written some absolutely fantastic Lois Lane YA books, and she is apparently interested in and capable of writing comics. It is obvious to me what needs to happen now: DC needs to let her write a Lois Lane comic. Could be a teenage Lois Lane comic, could be a current Lois Lane comic. I don't care which; it just needs to happen.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
It is obvious to me what needs to happen now: DC needs to let her write a Lois Lane comic. Could be a teenage Lois Lane comic, could be a current Lois Lane comic. I don't care which; it just needs to happen.
I keep throwing money at my computer to fund your idea but nothing is happening. Please advice.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM
King Of Space-Time

Well. Last issue of The Flintstones. I liked it. I can live with this ending.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:53 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

DC's meta-setup is kinda weird right now, with Superman through Reborn, Batman having the big ending before delving into a flashback story, Flash kinda keeping the Zoom thread going but not really, and a lot of the other books just kinda treading water.

It's like they gave everyone the big preview with the Button, but then decided to lie low for a few months until the Metal / Doomsday Clock stuff starts up.

Feels like they should've had a fill-in WW-centric mini-event slot in here somewhere, although with the title changing hands soon I understand why that may not have been possible.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Anyone read/have opinions on the Thrilling Adventure Hour graphic novel? I'd only discovered the podcast a few weeks ago and, since then, it became everything to me.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM
noble beast

First few volumes of Saga were free... picked up the rest and the most recent issue. (only 25 cents) I loved it. (Obviously! That's a lot of comics to read in a short amount of time) It feels like it's a getting a bit stale. (Not entirely because I read 43 issues in a day and half) I'm a soft person and I welled up multiple times during this binge, but Izabel's death was bad. (As in, not effective) Obviously, she was going to die during that arc b/c she gave a "I've loved the journey" speech, but I wasn't expecting it to be 5 pages later. (I do suppose most of the other deaths had been noble sacrifices or tragic misunderstandings, though)

Anyway, this comic book also owned me.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 AM

Tom King and David Finch's short story about Alfred and Ace the Bat Dog got an Eisner nom. Read the whole thing here!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Tom King and David Finch's short story about Alfred and Ace the Bat Dog got an Eisner nom. Read the whole thing here!
Should win just for the fact it kept the Kite Man joke going.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
This Guy

except it wasn't follow up by "Hell Yeah"

unless Ace's growwwlllgggh counts.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
except it wasn't follow up by "Hell Yeah"

unless Ace's growwwlllgggh counts.
I actually carefully checked the sound effect because I thought it was a coded "Hell Yeah."
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 AM

In the middle of The Comic Book History of Comics. It's... OK. Most of the stuff I knew already and I don't care for the art all that much, which isn't bad but not really too my taste (Ryan Dunlavey's art basically looks like the gag art from old Wizard magazines). And the humour largely isn't particularly solid, though not abysmal/cringeworthy. Just sort of... there. Still, I'm enjoying it well enough and I did learn a bit more than before, which I'm always looking forward to in such comics. Still, I don't think this is going to be one of the ones I lend to family members.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
In the middle of The Comic Book History of Comics. It's... OK. Most of the stuff I knew already and I don't care for the art all that much, which isn't bad but not really too my taste (Ryan Dunlavey's art basically looks like the gag art from old Wizard magazines). And the humour largely isn't particularly solid, though not abysmal/cringeworthy. Just sort of... there. Still, I'm enjoying it well enough and I did learn a bit more than before, which I'm always looking forward to in such comics. Still, I don't think this is going to be one of the ones I lend to family members.
Yeah, it's definitely a lesser book compared to Action Philosophers.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Halfway through Jason's On the Camino. Perfectly fine. Not one of Jason's best, but it is cool to read some biographical stuff from him.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
This Guy

I finally got a chance to read final issue of The Flintstones. That was the best 12 issue series DC has ever published.

I know what I said.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day