The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Default Make Mine Marvel! Marvel Comics General Discussion

I could have swore we had one of these, maybe it got lost in the great purge of 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
His didn't stick, he gave up on the symbiote suit and stopped feeding people Extremis through phone apps.
what
Yeah, the gist of the Superior Iron Man storyline was that Tony Stark started distributing Extremis for free to people via a phone app. Once people got hooked on having perfect bodies via this cosmetic surgery (essentially), he'd take it away and start charging people an exorbitant amount of money to keep using the app. I honestly don't remember how it shook out in the end.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

Oh that Tony.

You, you keep trying real hard at being good.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
It's all good, man

Nah it was the evil Iron Man aren't you paying attention
Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

Oh, right. Well...

He should still try harder.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM
poisonous thread snake

Did anyone read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe? It was extremely interesting.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Your life is forfeit

My sister gave me Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. run as a trade paperback for Christmas, and I have been reading it. Currently I am reading an arc featuring a Chinese villain called the Yellow Claw. He and his henchmen all have yellow skin. Halfway through the arc, the Chinese characters started using Japanese honorifics out of nowhere.

The ’60s!

On the plus side, there is a totally cool Chinese-American G-Man on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s side named Jimmy Woo.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Did anyone read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe? It was extremely interesting.
I have this but haven't gotten around to cracking it open yet. I'll bump it up a few places on The List on your recommendation.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
My sister gave me Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. run as a trade paperback for Christmas, and I have been reading it. Currently I am reading an arc featuring a Chinese villain called the Yellow Claw. He and his henchmen all have yellow skin. Halfway through the arc, the Chinese characters started using Japanese honorifics out of nowhere.

The ’60s!

On the plus side, there is a totally cool Chinese-American G-Man on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s side named Jimmy Woo.
The Yellow Claw (and Jimmy Woo) actually dates back to the 1950s, when he had his own comic (for four issues), and where he was depicted as a pretty blatant swipe of Fu Manchu.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Jimmy Woo would go on to rep SHIELD's Godzilla Squad, which fought Godzilla.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I honestly don't remember how it shook out in the end.
Pepper kicked his ass and he straightened up? Or it just all got erased by Secret Wars. One or the other.

So, I've usually been a DC guy. The Justice League was way more my thing than the Avengers. But we've all see the other comics thread. And with Marvel Unlimited, I can actually, you know, read Marvel comics. And holy shit they have been hitting it out of the fucking park.

The post-Secret Wars stuff is incredibly good. Every single line has launched with an issue that lays out, succinctly and entertainingly, what this book is about, why it's good, and, most importantly, why it's going to be a fun ride. The casts and creators are diverse and interesting, and running through it all is clear enthusiasm for the characters and themes on display.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:51 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I've totally fallen off post-Secret Wars. What's worth picking up?

Bear in mind, at the risk of inviting ire, I'm not a big fan of the Squirrel Girl thing, I'd prefer a more trad cape book for now.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I've totally fallen off post-Secret Wars. What's worth picking up?

Bear in mind, at the risk of inviting ire, I'm not a big fan of the Squirrel Girl thing, I'd prefer a more trad cape book for now.
Meh, I can't stand Squirrel Girl's solo books either.

If you're looking for traditional "cape" books, of what I've read so far I'd recommend:

* Ms. Marvel is a fantastic heir to the Peter Parker legacy, being primarily focused on the life of a teenager who suddenly finds herself with extraordinary powers. The first issue of the new run depends more than usual on existing continuity - her relationship with her best friend - but since she'd only had 18 issues prior to that, I'm willing to forgive it. Plus, her prior run is fantastic. Read it.

* Speaking of Peter Parker, he's now Amazing Spider-man, an international techno-industrialist, playboy, and problem-solver. The first few issues have been a fantastic, wild ride, and full of fun.

* Wait, you may ask, isn't that kind of stepping on Tony Stark's shoes? The Invincible Iron Man now appears to be on the outs. He's still got a fantastic suit full of incredible technology, but can't effortlessly pay his way to success. It looks like Mary Jane's going to do at least a short stint in this title, but "Gal Friday" (AI) and Amara Perara (MIT biophysicist) round out the supporting cast and obligatory Love Polyhedron

* Captain America: Sam Wilson deals with what happens when the "symbol of America" is passed to a black man who's not shy about criticizing the government when it's crossed the line. Also, Misty Knight.

* Nova has a bit more "cosmic" in it than Ms. Marvel, and a bit more "rural", being set out in Arizona instead of Jersey. But it hits the same "young hero struggling to find a balance" notes.

* Thor creeps all the way up into cosmic fantasy, but grounds itself in Thor's mortal identity really, really well.

* All-New, All-Different Avengers, for an awesome team-up of most of the above (not Spider-Man), plus Vision. It's only just getting started, but looks like it's going to be the "main" Avengers book, so this is where you want to go for your standard team-up needs.

* Ultimates takes the serious cosmic half of the Avengers and spins them off into their own book. Captain Marvel, Black Panther, the other Captain Marvel, and a few other characters I don't recognize are here for their main team-up gig.

* New Avengers, meanwhile, is a little bit sillier. It's about an "international rescue" team founded by a billionare super-genius based on an island in international waters confronting over-the-top existential threats. It does have Squirrel Girl, but don't hold that against it. The first issue also involves Hawkeye showing up and declaring that he's here as a spy for SHIELD, while the rest of the team deals with Evil Reed Richards attempting to create a self-sustaining "minus Life" cascade in Paris, which should say a lot about the book's sense of humor.

Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hercules, All-New Hawkeye, Web Warriors, Extraordinary X-Men, Spider-Woman, and All-New Wolverine are also all really, really good, but press farther and farther from "trad cape" stuff.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:30 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Thanks, that's really great.

I have issues with the Ms Marvel run that are probably too heavy to get into but I'll take a look at everything else.

Oh and Dr Strange rubbed me the wrong way instantly with its "I sent the demons to the child molesters and told them to fill their stomachs" EDGELORD SHIT
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Yeah. I also think though there are people who come off badly in the book, it largely feels pretty fair. Stan Lee has been seen as some as a beloved figure and others as, well, Funky Flashman. In this book (this is my takeaway, anyway), he comes across a guy who is a likable person but is also pretty neglectful of the people who work for him and someone who seems to want to avoid conflict to the detriment of others. He's not a villain, but a much more complicated figure who though lovable has some pretty big flaws.

I definitely recommend reading it.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Dinger!

The current Black Panther run is also quite good, Madhair.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Find Your Reason

Dammit, Egar, I was trying to whittle down my pull list to just Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange and now I'm interested in most of not all of those!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I keep saying it, but it's worth saying that the current Vision run is top-notch. Not many super-heroics (or any, really) but it has an really great unsettling mood that has been maintained through every issue so far.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 PM
This Guy

That is because Tom King, who has all of about 50 issues under his belt, is a goddamned master.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM
who's she

Squirrel Girl is all I'm reading right now. I liked what I read of the evil Spider-Man series, though.

Pretty sure my all-time favorite Marvel series is the original New Mutants run, minus the Rob Liefeld stuff at the end.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Dammit, Egar, I was trying to whittle down my pull list to just Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange and now I'm interested in most of not all of those!
Seriously. Just get an Unlimited subscription and read most of the lineup at the six month delay
Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Seriously. Just get an Unlimited subscription and read most of the lineup at the six month delay
The only thing keeping me away from MU is the offline service - it is still capped at three issues at a time?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 PM
concentrate

Dang. I had more or less given up on Marvel comics for the Cinematic Universe, but sounds like they've stepped up the game since the last time I took a look.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
The only thing keeping me away from MU is the offline service - it is still capped at three issues at a time?
Twelve, I believe
Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 AM
just ignore my posts

So question about some Hulk related history.

From what I recall, not a single Hulkbsuter armor made by Tony Stark has actually worked against Banner when he's Hulked out. Am I remembering correctly?

I know at least three have failed.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, if they had a reliable way to bust the Hulk when the Hulk needed busting, it would kind of remove a lot of the excitement from those comics.

Also, going to go ahead and give a recommendation to X-Men '92. Which manages to perfectly carry on the ridiculous tone of that cartoon and gives Cassandra Nova a completely awesome gimmick.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 AM
It's all good, man

Because I'm a weirdo, since I got into Marvel comics three years ago I've been reading a whole bunch of different stuff to build up my knowledge base of the universe over its last fifteen years of existence instead of just buying new titles. It's resulted in a huge backlog of books I haven't read yet, and I'm still a few years behind on basically everything.

Some of my favorite things I've read from this period:

Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid's Daredevil
Brubaker's Captain America and Winter Soldier
Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF
Abnett and Lanning's cosmic stuff (Annihilation, Nova, Guardians, etc.)
Slott's Spider-Man
Gillen's Journey Into Mystery (Thor spinoff starring Loki)
Morrison and Whedon's X-Men
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
Twelve, I believe
That's more reasonable, and I see they also have a deeply discounted annual plan...

Now I *want* to sign up for Marvel Unlimited =/ I wonder how can I sell this to Ms Brain; "fresh food and warm water are overrated, honey!"
Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Also, going to go ahead and give a recommendation to X-Men '92. Which manages to perfectly carry on the ridiculous tone of that cartoon and gives Cassandra Nova a completely awesome gimmick.
Alternatively, don't give Chris Sims your money
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Alternatively, don't give Chris Sims your money
Gonna have to agree with that as strongly as a motherfucker can.

Edit: For people who do not know, he's a bully and a major fucking asshole. Google him and you'll find it without too much effort.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:31 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Most people on the internet were shitty trolls at some point, sometimes you just have to forgive people unless they continue to be shitty. Unless there's been a new incident recently?

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes