The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
This way up

Iain Banks has passed away.

Oh, contemporary authors, stop dying before I have a chance to read any of your books! I've heard such good things about "Walking on Glass".
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
is Earnest

Any other Chicago people going to CAKE tomorrow? I'm going to try to make it by noon for the Chris Ware interview.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

My fathers has a number of "True Murder Stories" style books strategically placed around the house wherever he thinks he might need one. I just flipped one open and saw this:

Quote:
Are Russians only interested in winning Olympic events, sending Cosmonauts into outer space and lining up for loaves of bread? Of course not. They are also deeply involved with murdering one another.
Which, as far as opening paragraphs go, is definitely one of the better ones I've encountered.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM
This Guy

That jives with the impressions I got from reading a lot of Russian short stories, which left me thinking that Russia was the most miserable place possible, with everyone determined to make sure everyone else was a miserable as they were.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Here Comes the Sun

So, I've been watching Avengers: EMH on Netflix lately, and it's put me in the mood for some superhero comics. In particular, I've always enjoyed the concept of the Fantastic Four and the characters when they appear elsewhere, but I know next to nothing about their series. Can anyone recommend me the best of the FF?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Metroid View Post
So, I've been watching Avengers: EMH on Netflix lately, and it's put me in the mood for some superhero comics. In particular, I've always enjoyed the concept of the Fantastic Four and the characters when they appear elsewhere, but I know next to nothing about their series. Can anyone recommend me the best of the FF?
If I were to recommend any one book, it would be the third Essential Fantastic Four volume, besides being aged to perfection Lee/Kirby, it's also got two of the most famous FF arcs and has Reed and Sues wedding, which am very well be the Craziest Damn Comic I Have Ever Read.

Seriously, it has a blind man hijack a semi-truck full of nuclear weapons from a group of terrorists and crash it into a whale as a minor plot point and is by no means he most insane thing to happen in those pages.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Here Comes the Sun

That's exactly the guidance I was looking for! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
This Guy

Once you are done with the Lee/Kirby FF, if you still want more I would recommend the three Waid/Wieringo volumes.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM
is Earnest

So recently I went to Chicago Alternative Comics Expo (CAKE) and the American Library Association Convention and got to meet some comics people. Here's what I got:

Anthony "Nedroid" Clark drew a wizard riding a mythical creature:

Meredith Gran drew a little cat:

Michael DeForge drew a deer being sliced into pieces:

Zac Gorman drew Mega Man:

And Paul Pope gave me a free preview copy of Battling Boy and signed it:

Battling Boy #1 (of 2) comes out in October. It's completely rad and reminds me a lot of Gravity Rush in terms of atmosphere. It's aimed at the Bone set, but it's surprisingly violent and has a cool mix of Monsters, Technology, and Mythical beings.

Buy it! Also, buy Paul Pope's earlier book 100% if you haven't read that yet.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Dinger!

I want this show now, just so the world can see this title sequence.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
How did we not have one of these already?

ALT: How did I miss the old one?

Anyway, question:

How do you feel like a book club for TT?

I read a lot of books and sometimes I really want to have somewhat meaty discussions about them. The "Watcha Reading" thread moves too fast for that or it doesn't move at all.

Please note this Book Club will not be a team effort. I will name some books each month that are in my queue and people can say they want to read that or not, I'll pick the one most people respond to or seem to care about, unless I pick something completely different. Why is it this way? Remember when you had your senior group project in High School and in order to guarentee you got a decent grade you ended up doing the whole thing yourself? That's why. They can drop in and out of the Club, see?

Is this an idea worth pursueing or am I crazy(ier)?
Remember when I asked this whilst creating a superfluous thread? You should cause I just quoted it!

Well guess what?! It's happening!. Go to the subforum and scroll down to the bottom of the screen. See my name in the bottom right hand corner?

(I RULE YOU)

So, there's going to be a Talking Time Book Club! Modeled after the fun club we have for video games. It will begin next month (August 2013) I will be creating a thread for nominations.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Inscaper

I for one welcome our new ant overlords.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Here Comes the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
If I were to recommend any one book, it would be the third Essential Fantastic Four volume, besides being aged to perfection Lee/Kirby, it's also got two of the most famous FF arcs and has Reed and Sues wedding, which am very well be the Craziest Damn Comic I Have Ever Read.

Seriously, it has a blind man hijack a semi-truck full of nuclear weapons from a group of terrorists and crash it into a whale as a minor plot point and is by no means he most insane thing to happen in those pages.
So, when does FF stop being awkwardly sexist (or is that "get less awkwardly sexist")? I mean, I knew Sue didn't have her force field powers right away, but there was this issue that had the FF answering fan mail, and the complaint that she was a token female came up. It was both hilarious and cringe-worthy at the same time, as they fiercely defend her by bringing up all the times she helped them out while they were saving the day, and Ben literally says "if you want to see women fighting all the time, go watch lady wrestlers!" I mean, their heart was in the right place, but wow...

And then the next issue, which is not a(s overtly of a) fourth-wall breaker, has them discussing how they're gonna take down the Hulk, and Sue's saying how she doesn't think she'll be very helpful. General Ross reassures her by telling the superhero that she can help by keeping up the men's morale. Her teammates basically say "yeah! That nice gentleman is right! See, you can be helpful!"

I mean, I've read plenty of Silver Age Spider-Man, so I wasn't totally unprepared, but I thought a woman superhero as part of the core cast would make more of a difference.

With that said, I am enjoying how off-the-wall and experimental the stories are, and Stan's lovable wacky dialogue can really shine with a team of heroes to play off each other.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM
#deadfish2017

J. K. Rowling wrote a secret novel!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Gosh It's Hot!

So I was in Half-Price books today and saw a ton of Dragonlance books, and in my subsequent ponderings I realized: Legends is one of the best fantasy trilogies ever, but it's hard to fully appreciate it without reading the good-but-not-great Chronicles trilogy first. Which leaves us I'm not sure where.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
This way up

The Chronicles trilogy is much more endurable if you get the huge version with commentary in the margins. Watching two people who are trying to figure out how roleplaying and novels work simultaneously is pretty entertaining, and there's a lot of fascinating backstory about TSR's early history.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
So recently I went to Chicago Alternative Comics Expo (CAKE) and the American Library Association Convention and got to meet some comics people.
I'm going to go to my first ever comics convention next weekend. My local comics shop mentioned it on their facebook page, and I decided why the hell not, I'll go! The admittance is pretty reasonable, and I already had trades by quite a few guests. I'm really hoping I can get a sketch of Young Justice Impulse from Todd Nauck. That would get framed and put up on my wall right away.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped.

Edit! I went to the convention this weekend. It was basically a shopping day but the tickets were only $15. That's ok for shopping rights. More than that, you better have some RPGs for me to play in or something. Anyway! Loot! I didn't see much in the way of stuff I specifically had my eye out for, but like all the trade paperbacks were half off, so I grabbed plenty anyway. I got the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion for half off, and trade paperbacks of The Spirit and Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew for $5 each. I got a book on the history of the St. Louis comic scene, and a comic called Hoax Hunters. (It has something to do with a Astronaut made of crows from what I can tell from the ads. I'm down with that.) And a few other little things. I got lots of stuff from home signed. But what I really came for was a drawing. Behold my score!

Impulse is my favorite superguy, and I really liked Young Justice. So I had to get Todd Nauck to draw him. I like it plenty. The Kid Flash was an... impluse buy. YEEEEAAAAAHHH! Seriously, though I was in the line to get George Perez to sign my Crisis on Infinite Earths, and there he was just sketching up a storm being all jolly and adorable and stuff. So I got a Kid Flash! I'm quite happy with the pair! I shall frame these and then Wally and Bart can be all passive aggressive up on my wall.

The icing on the cake was my streetpass bounty. I probably had like 15! And one was from Hawaii!

This convention was a success!

Last edited by Pseudonym; 09-23-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Here Comes the Sun

So, are the Alien/Predator/AvP comics from Dark Horse worth reading? My local comic shop has a couple "omnibus" collections of each...about 500 pages apiece. I was considering picking up the Aliens or AvP edition, but I'm wondering what I'm in for.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
A real human being

Asterios Polyp - this book keeps popping up recently and I'm kind of curious about it. Anyone here have opinions on it?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM
A real human being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
It's very good and worth reading. The ending is pretty... divisive, but I've never been one to let an ending retroactively ruin the rest of something fantastic.
This is very good to hear! I'm seeing people saying it is "too academic". Any idea why this might be?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM

The people who say that probably either haven't read it (and thus are taking the chatter about its formal elegance as stuffy intellectualism) or constantly analyze art at the expense of experiencing it. Asterios Polyp is certainly high-falutin' and intelligent and thematically rich, but it's also a hell of a good time. It's funny, it's nuanced, it's amazingly drawn, and honestly more accessible than any of the big OGNs by alt-comics luminaries that have come out in the last several years.

That said, if one spends a lot of time reading superhero comics, it's certainly a change of pace, and in the sense that "academic" is opposed to "violence and one-liners", the description is apt. So... maybe a palate cleanser between Asterios Polyp and Deadpool?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM
A real human being

Thanks for the answer! This makes me want to read it even more. I really like what I've seen of the art, and now can't wait to read it.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
This way up

The Kruger Telegram totally inspired "The Adventure of the Second Stain".
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 AM
King Of Space-Time

BRACE FOR (fanwankery) IMPACT.

Quote:
[Rowling] said: "I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That's how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron."

She added: "I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 AM
This way up

That was a perfectly coherent and logical statement and you can follow the line of thinking that led her to write it that way in the past, and why she thinks it was an error now.

I expect fandom crazy anyhow.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 AM
#deadfish2017

Ooooohhhh booooooooy.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
That was a perfectly coherent and logical statement and you can follow the line of thinking that led her to write it that way in the past, and why she thinks it was an error now.
Oh I concur, but this is meaty bone is the same as when ATLA fans found out that Zuko was originally supposed to end up with Katara as mentioned in the official artbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
I expect fandom crazy anyhow.
It's gonna get uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Dinger!

I've been having a discussion on Facebook over the past few days with a friend who is adamant that Harry and Hermione should have gotten together and that Ginny is an empty character who only serves as a "Hero Reward."
Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
This way up

Heh.

It is true that Ginny hasn't much personality, though. She's sweet, she got hypnotised once, she likes Harry. Do we know much else about her? Not really.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Dinger!

That's what my friend is arguing, but I completely disagree. Sure, Ginny isn't the most developed character, but she's as developed as any of the side characters. She gets a ton of action in books 5 and 6. We know that she's a great Quidditch player, an accomplished witch, she's clever, has a bit of an acid tongue and is kind to others.

Tags
fear of new threads , not worth its own thread