The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
P.S. Anyone remember the days when it seemed perfectly reasonable to buy a VHS tape with two episodes of Evangelion on it, subtitled, for thirty bucks plus tax?
No. Because this was never reasonable.

Anyone remember when you'd rent anime tapes, hook up two VCRs and copy them?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
TWO VCRs? Well excuse me, Mr. Moneybags, but not all of us are rich, and even if someone wanted to buy my wallscrolls on eBay, they're not for sale.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:

Not quite possible in my parents' house, but I do remember recording anime from the Sci-Fi channel. To this day, I'm afraid it's the only way I'll ever be able to watch Galaxy Express 999 and Urusei Yatsura Lum 2: Beautiful Dreamer.

Edit: Renting anime in my neighborhood was pretty much impossible. I think the only anime they had at any of the video stores was Ghost in the Shell, and maybe some truly horrifying things back in the Adults Only section.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Remember all this stuff?
I do!

Quote:
I did this.

A lot.

I even had a tape rewinder to speed up the process. Now there's a hilariously obsolete piece of technology!

I don't actually feel old, though. Heck, my life is just about to begin.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM
actually an eevee

I wrote one paper on a word processor/electronic typewriter. (well "wrote". more like I retyped what the encyclopedia said. "synthesizing" information was a vague concept that never really got driven in until many years after!). This just bespeaks how behind my family was with regards to high tech!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM
who's she

It occurred to me the other day that my mental having-it-together-ness is probably at its lifetime peak. Which made me worry for the first time about what I'm going to do when I'm actually old, since it's very unlikely I'll have a lot of money or children to look after me.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

My first console was a Sega Master System.

My second computer had 32 megs of hard drive space.

In order to get anime, I had to send blank videotapes via snail mail to fansubbers who had an SVHS master tape, who would copy my tapes with the shows of my choice and snail mail them back to me. In college.

I'm old. And I don't give a crap. I'm kind of glad I grew up back then, so I can enjoy what I have now.

Last edited by Mara; 06-28-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I'm old. And I don't give a crap. I'm kind of glad I grew up back then, so I can enjoy what I have now.
You are wise, young grasshopper.

I'm glad that I'm grown-up enough to have my shit together. Makes it easier for me to be young at heart and afford to do the cool stuff I wanted to do as a wee tot. And I'll never be too old for a go on the swing set.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
In order to get anime, I had to send blank videotapes via snail mail to fansubbers who had an SVHS master tape, who would copy my tapes with the shows of my choice and snail mail them back to me. In college.
I never did this, but I have friends about my age who did. They tell me the process wasn't always reliable.

The first Utena fansubs I saw (before the series past episode 13 was available in the U.S.) were video files that had been recorded from someone's TV with a digital camera. The subtitles were nearly impossible to read.

Some things, I don't miss.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I don't feel old I feel better. I'm liking what I'm learning and looking forward to learning so much more.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudfooht View Post
And I'll never be too old for a go on the swing set.
YES! SWINGS ARE THE BEST EVER!!!

I'll never be too old for swings.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 AM
who's she

Quote:
YES! SWINGS ARE THE BEST EVER!!!

I'll never be too old for swings.
Except nobody makes them high enough anymore. Stupid playground safety concerns.

If swingset was an olympic event I would have been a contender.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Baroness Kika

Quote:
About twenty years ago, my father purchased our first computer, a Packard Bell 386SX which came with Windows 3.0. Show of hands, now: who else remembers when Windows 3.1 was an upgrade?...

...P.S. Anyone remember the days when it seemed perfectly reasonable to buy a VHS tape with two episodes of Evangelion on it, subtitled, for thirty bucks plus tax?
My parents bought a Macintosh something-something the year I was born (1985). I don't remember the exact model, but it had to be booted up through DOS, and the only thing we ever used it for was playing super pixelated versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! (I suppose my father may have used it to do actual work on, I'm not sure). I know someone else has played those. Up top! The cost of that computer? Five. Thousand. Dollars. To my parent's credit, we had that thing for over a decade.

In a similar vein, my mother, up until a few years ago, had a twin VCR set, specifically made to copy tape to tape. When it finally crapped out, she went on a mad hunt to pawn shops and thrift stores to try to find a new one. And, I love my mom, please don't get me wrong, but the only thing scarier than her refusal to embrace new technology, is her in a pawn shop. Or maybe it's her sudden infatuation with technology. She's on Facebook now.

*mind is blown*
Old 06-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
My first console was a Sega Master System.
*fist pound, explosion*
Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudfooht View Post
And I'll never be too old for a go on the swing set.
My friend fell off a swing and broke his foot. 6 weeks in a cast, and he's lucky that it's healing correctly.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviar.n.cigarettes View Post
a Macintosh [...] had to be booted up through DOS
Unpossible.

Quote:
Anyone remember when you'd rent anime WWF tapes, hook up two VCRs and copy them?
Yes. And I used EP mode, because I apparently wanted it to look as awful as possible. I still have a tape with the 1994 and 1996 Royal Rumbles on it.

Last edited by Ethan; 06-29-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Grr. Argh.

So I'm watching the Casey Anthony trial (oh my GOD only old people WATCH TRIALS!), and for weeks now I've been trying to figure out who it is George Anthony reminds me of.

This morning, I figured it out: he reminds me of Judge Wopner.

About 2 minutes later, it hit me:

I'm old enough to remember Judge Wopner.

Oh. My. GOD.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Yes. And I used EP mode, because I apparently wanted it to look as awful as possible.
Dude, EP mode was smart. You could get six hours on that shit. SP, with its pitiful two hour length time, was a fool's game.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
My friend fell off a swing and broke his foot. 6 weeks in a cast, and he's lucky that it's healing correctly.
Clearly unskilled. Dude that sucks. Sorry to hear about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilMoth View Post

I'm old enough to remember Judge Wopner.

Oh. My. GOD.
Ha. Doug Llewelyn's sardonic delivery was the shizz.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:

I edited almost every school project ever (I ended up being quite good at it so I edited other people's projects as well), and it took forever!

I still remember when I got a G4 Mac with iMovie and watched the tutorial on cropping. The fact that you could click and drag over 20 seconds of movie you didn't want, press delete and be DONE broke my brain.

Quote:
Kris Straub had a nice post about this a while back. I can't find the original post now but here's an edited bit:

"There's a generation of kids that will grow up never knowing that, once, a screen wasn't touch-sensitive. That generation will be here in like 5 years. "Of course you interact with it by touching it, it's a screen! What else would you do, wiggle rocker switches and dials on the sides of the phone? Ridiculous."

The same goes for the internet. My generation showed up at the right time -- late enough to be amazed by it, but early enough to still be savvy. If we were a little older we'd be shouting at it like our parents, and a little younger we wouldn't know what we had.

It's a good time to be alive."
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
utada hikaru

Woah dudes I was born the day before Sonic the Hedgehog came out!

It's worth noting that I am twins with a Sega Genesis.

TOO BAD THE OTHER GAME WAS ALTERED BEAST LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Not a Beer

I have an EP VHS tape with twelve episodes of barely-legible Maison Ikkoku and a handful of AMVs shipped from Arctic Animation, still on a shelf somewhere, probably near the official COLLECTOR'S EDITION Ranma 1/2 OAVs from when they would actually charge us *extra* for subtitles. Man.

Also, swing-set high fives all 'round.

Also, 640x480 all-in-one black and white Macintosh, yeah.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
never go full retard

I do a double-take when I remember just how old these games are, and that I'm still playing games from over 10 years ago more often than I play modern games... online browser-based games excepted (and the ones I play were active since 1999 or early 2000s...)

Mostly though it's the lack of normal stuff people do at a given age. Given my life situation I feel like I'm already done for, complete with a staring window to look out of. Maybe it's not so much age, but a sense that I'm falling away from the world, one way or another.

...I still have a VCR.
Long ago we had a working ink typewriter, which I used to write a garbled mess that has long since been destroyed. Must have been thrown out somewhere.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
P.S. Anyone remember the days when it seemed perfectly reasonable to buy a VHS tape with two episodes of Evangelion on it, subtitled, for thirty bucks plus tax?
Yes, but I hated it and was mad about it.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Baroness Kika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Unpossible.
Whatever the brand/model was, it was ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I have an EP VHS tape with twelve episodes of barely-legible Maison Ikkoku and a handful of AMVs shipped from Arctic Animation, still on a shelf somewhere, probably near the official COLLECTOR'S EDITION Ranma 1/2 OAVs from when they would actually charge us *extra* for subtitles. Man.
I still have the first two R1/2 Collector's Editions, clamshells and all, and even with the "Furinkan Gazette" and other Viz Video liner notes. Never did the fansub tape trade, though, because it was simply unfeasible to do it across countries. I did have a local provider who offered to record a playthrough of the third Ranma fighting game, because back then I had no way of getting my hands on that cart

I also made a Ranma AMV entirely by using two VCRs, before I even knew AMVs were a thing. Nothing fancy, obviously, just edited video, but it turned out pretty nice.

And speaking of which, I also wrote my first fanfic (Ranma again, natch) in 1994, before I learned that fanfiction was also a thing (it was just a "story" I wrote for myself, and it's gone forever.) Then, in 1995, I wrote and posted another, epic-length one, and its sequel in 1996/1997. I decided to rewrite the whole thing in a revised, improved form in 2000, but its basic concepts have gone through so many revisions and "Good God why did I ever think THAT was a good idea!?" rereadings that I haven't finished writing it yet

I still plan to, someday! (Latest revision: 2008) (So yeah that fanfic has been on my mind for exactly half of my life now.)

Oh! And my NES can drink and vote now. There are people on this forum who can only do the latter... or neither

Last edited by Zef; 06-29-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Majestic

I'll feel old when I start talking to young'uns who actually have an awareness of what existed before 2010 to call it ancient. I'm not a dinosaur until I'm walking among children who are even aware that there are dinosaurs. Until then, my childhood is stuck in a time warp outside the reach of age and death, and every single person who thinks that this move is a reference to Naruto is an ignorant youngling who needs to hit his history books hard until he recognizes that it's obviously a Spinning Pile Driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
I don't actually feel old, though. Heck, my life is just about to begin.
bunglesama please to be helping me with the learnings of how to do this
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

hey guys

my NES is older than I am

I own a perfectly-functioning game system that is older than I am

:I

Also since old PC games seems to be a popular topic: I had a 486 DOS box handed down from a relative. The first game I remember playing was a very primitive bowling game, but eventually I turned to the likes of Xargon, Jill Of The Jungle, Descent, and the first game I ever owned a physical copy of: The Secret Of Monkey Island.

Do I get nerd cred now?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

No. ..
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
hey guys

my NES is older than I am

I own a perfectly-functioning game system that is older than I am

:I
That means I have Shonen Sunday "phonebook"-style weeklies that are older than you. Mwahahaha.

('course, I only bought them a couple of years ago via Yahoo! Auctions Japan, but still. Paper that was pressed before you were even a thought!)

Tags
don't fear the reaper , get off my lawn , nostalgia , planned obsolescence