The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Your life is forfeit

Oh, I'm sure Bashir's fine, he just hasn't done much to define himself yet. He's either the guy creeping on Dax or the guy annoying the ever-loving piss out of O'Brien. I do like his slowly developing relationship with Garak, though.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
The Hunted is pretty silly. Its not bad, but the planet has James Cromwell on a planet where the population wears business pajamas over turtle necks.
It's a speed suit.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 AM
whatever it takes

O'Brien going from quietly smoldering with hatred whenever Bashir enters the room to having giddy nerd sleepovers with him in the holosuite every night is one of my favorite character dynamics in DS9 Star Trek all of fiction
Old 07-31-2017, 09:41 AM
does the Underpants Dance

One thing I didn't like about Bashir was some of his background: the episode dealing with his parents and their cover up that he was a genetically enhanced person really felt like it came out of nowhere and was incongruent with his personality. I just couldn't buy it at all.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM
McBear

On the contrary:

I think it was contradictory and confusing on purpose. Bashir spent a part of that season as a changeling agent, while the real Bashir was in a Dominion prison. So some of his backstory was obfuscated and muddled.
It's why he stopped playing tennis and pursued an intellectual career.
Whenever he and O'Brien played darts, he felt compelled to sandbag against him so as to not arouse suspicion.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
On the contrary:

I think it was contradictory and confusing on purpose. Bashir spent a part of that season as a changeling agent, while the real Bashir was in a Dominion prison. So some of his backstory was obfuscated and muddled.
It's why he stopped playing tennis and pursued an intellectual career.
Whenever he and O'Brien played darts, he felt compelled to sandbag against him so as to not arouse suspicion.
And one of the only ways he could truly let his guard down and enjoy himself is to play a Cold War super-spy in the holosuite - which is probably why he's so annoyed at Garak for showing up in "Our Man Bashir".
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 AM
McBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
And one of the only ways he could truly let his guard down and enjoy himself is to play a Cold War super-spy in the holosuite - which is probably why he's so annoyed at Garak for showing up in "Our Man Bashir".
Interesting that instead of playing a serial numbers filed off James Bond, the name of his "character" IS Julian Bashir.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Your life is forfeit

OK, I'm into season three of DS9 now. It's getting interesting, especially discovering that Odo is basically just Goku. Kinda weird that Defiant just kinda... showed up, but otherwise, good stuff. I liked that they telegraphed the twist in "The Search Pt. II" subtly — the whole thing just feels off, in terms of pacing and how everyone got away from Defiant, but they never call attention to it or have the characters wonder aloud if everything is wrong.

Also, "House of Quark" was really great. I didn't think I'd like Quark as a character, but they've made good use of him.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 PM
This way up

Quote:
Interesting that instead of playing a serial numbers filed off James Bond, the name of his "character" IS Julian Bashir.
I always assumed this was like people playing FF naming the characters after themselves.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 AM
McBear

Well, you've got Data playing Sherlock Holmes, Picard playing Dixon Hill, Janeway playing Mrs. Davenport in her holo-novel, Tom Paris playing Captain Proton, everyone assumes the identity of an EMH in the Doctor's "Photons Be Free".
Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I didn't think I'd like Quark as a character, but they've made good use of him.
Quark is, hands down, the best character in all of Star Trek. And it's honestly not even close.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:28 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Well, you've got Data playing Sherlock Holmes, Picard playing Dixon Hill, Janeway playing Mrs. Davenport in her holo-novel, Tom Paris playing Captain Proton, everyone assumes the identity of an EMH in the Doctor's "Photons Be Free".
Well you see Bashir needs to pretend he has no imagination in order to hide his status as a genetically enhanced superbrainman
Old 08-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Your life is forfeit

So, Deep Space Nine. Getting pretty good. The most recent episodes I've seen do a good job of subverting Star Trek concepts/clichés in interesting ways:

"Second Skin": A fakeout unreality scenario, which itself is kind of a head-fake, coming three episodes after "The Search, Pt. 2." Surely they wouldn't do the "character is abducted, forced to live a lie to manipulate them" thing again so soon. Oh, but they would. The twist is in the fact that Kira is just a pawn in the lie someone else is being forced to live.

"The Abandoned": Basically a rehash of "I, Borg," but with a significant twist: The Jem'Hadar don't have innate humanity to appeal to. They can't be swayed to see things the peacenik Federation way, even when surrounded by positive influences from infancy. They are a weapon created to hate everyone but the Dominion. It's a smart use of contrasts to raise the stakes for this new enemy without throwing a bunch of starships through the grinder — with the Borg, there's the prospect of finding some sort of resolution, of swaying them, but the Jem'Hadar are intractable.

I am enjoying this show.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM
120 Days

So these all first time viewings? Did you have any passing DS9 viewings from reruns or when it was on?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
So, Deep Space Nine. Getting pretty good. The most recent episodes I've seen do a good job of subverting Star Trek concepts/clichés in interesting ways:

"Second Skin": A fakeout unreality scenario, which itself is kind of a head-fake, coming three episodes after "The Search, Pt. 2." Surely they wouldn't do the "character is abducted, forced to live a lie to manipulate them" thing again so soon. Oh, but they would. The twist is in the fact that Kira is just a pawn in the lie someone else is being forced to live.
Originally, they were going to leave the ending ambiguous.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
So these all first time viewings? Did you have any passing DS9 viewings from reruns or when it was on?
Nope.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Nope.
Awesome. It's my fave. Been enjoying reading your posts
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Space dad

Oh, wow, first time! Yeah, DS9 is the best one, for my money. But part of the reason it's so great is in the way it contrasts with the other series.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Your life is forfeit

"Merdian" sure was an episode that existed, yep.

"Defiant," on the other hand, was 😘
Old 08-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Chief Servbot

I love the amount of depth the series is able to give the Jem'Hadar without ever making them seem less threatening.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
"Merdian" sure was an episode that existed, yep.
Hey, that's Jeffrey Combs's first episode! I hope you enjoyed him because he'll be back in other roles.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM
An Animal of Joy

I almost skipped the Voyager episode "Prophecy" because it sounded cheesy and I didn't know if I was in the mood for Klingons. But it was a really, really fun episode to watch. The Neelix/Harry/Tuvok B-plot was just beautiful. Really energetic episode, possibly because the only Chakotay we see is right before he's knocked unconscious.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
the only Chakotay we see is right before he's knocked unconscious.
Yeesh. How would you tell when he wakes back up?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Hey, that's Jeffrey Combs's first episode! I hope you enjoyed him because he'll be back in other roles.
Yeah, I was like, "Man, Shran used to be a creeper."
Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I watched Menage a Troi. It still hurts. Patrick Stewart clearly read the script for this, threw it in anger and some intern had to leave a trail of Shakespeare's sonnets to trick him back to the set.

Transfiguration was lame but not awful. Still, what was that Geordi b-plot about? It turns out the real magic to dating was in Geordi the whole time? That's seriously what it is. Instead of a brain transfer device, Beverly could have started the episode with "swallow these magic beans. They'll make you good at romance". Also, Worf kills it in this otherwise lame episode, then gets killed for his trouble.

Also, I used to believe Star Trek used techno jargon to deus ex machina its way out of a story. Now I know it was to extend the run time. I completely zoned out when they gave a 2 minute description of finding a characters homeworld.
Old Today, 11:32 AM
Your life is forfeit

I'm back in town, and that means I'm back to watching DS9.

"Fascination" is another of those episodes that happened to exist, oh boy. I'm kind of impressed that Lxwana literally ruined everything with her mere presence. Like, that's how many people feel, but they made it a real plot point!

"Past Tense Pts. 1 & 2": I really enjoyed these episodes as I watched... but the more I think about it, the more a lot of little details bother me and make this a sort of substandard rehash of "City on the Edge of Forever." Lots of critical elements hinged on lucky coincidences. Why was there a temporal ripple effect (that went back to status quo at the end) if the presence of the temporal search team didn't have any impact on the actions of the trio stranded in the past? How come there's a picture of Sisko on Gabriel Bell's computer record if the crotchety civil servant stuck his ID on some random corpse? I really feel like this two-parter needed one last round of revisions to bump it up to true classic status. It was almost there, but not quite...

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher