The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM
120 Days

Default The Second Apocalypse

Anyone else reading these?

They are (so far) 2 trilogies, the 2nd of which is only 2 books in:

The Prince Of Nothing Trilogy
1 - The Darkness That Comes Before
2 - The Warrior Prophet
3 - The Thousandfold Thought

The Aspect Emperor Trilogy
1 - The Judging Eye
2 - The White Luck Warrior
3 - ?????

These are fantasy books focusing on politics, religion and philosophy. They take heavy influences from Dune, LOTR and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Its the story of a mysterious monk from the north who is on a pilgrimage to meet / assassinate his father who had left 30 years prior. The Dunyain monks possess powers of persuasion, and can read the feelings and thoughts of men and use this to their advantage, to accomplish their mysterious goals.

In the meantime the Shriah (pope of the Thousand Temples, the church of Inthrism) has declared a war on Fanimism, followers of the prophet Fane who had conquered Shimeh, the birth place of Inri Sejenus (prophet of Inthrism) some centuries before. While all the various factions bicker and squabble to gain advantage over one another, a mysterious force known as The Consult lurks in their ranks, secretly guiding events with their spies.

I just finished the first trilogy and have started The Judging Eye.

YOU SHOULD TOO
Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
...we're shy.

I have the first book, read about 1/3 of it and put it away. Maybe I'll get back to it after I finish reading Wheel of Time... but, I dunno. It just felt so very dull to me.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM
120 Days

You are not wrong - the first half of the first book pissed me off. I will say this though - it's worth sticking with. It's kind of aloof like Dune, which can be a negative, I think Thrones may be a superior series if only for its sense of immediacy.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I think Thrones may be a superior series if only for its sense of immediacy.
Agreed. I like Bakker's books quite a bit, but they do definitely have their flaws, the clinical, detached narrative being perhaps the biggest in my mind. That said, there are several things I love about them: the magic system(s) (and the broader metaphysics behind the magic) are great; the "elves" are non-stereotypical and fascinating even to me, a jaded elf-hater; the big baddies have a clear, comprehensible goal that extends beyond "rule the world because we're evil and stuff"; the prose is head and shoulders above that of most fantasy books.

The thing that prevents me from recommending them to more people is that they are dark. Violence, sex, sexual violence and despair all fairly leak from the pages of any given book in the series. If you can stomach that, though, they come highly recommended.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
120 Days

So still reading The Judging Eye

I am beginning to wonder what Kellhus actually wants, if he even is all that concerned by the Consult.

Favourite new element - the Yatwer worshippers
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Here's a link to a review of (which in turn provides links to) two recent short stories set in Earwa. Chud, you should totally read them, but only after you've finished The White Luck Warrior.

Tags
rise from your grave!