The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-18-2017, 05:57 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
If that's the name of the two stupid meth addicts, yeah. I have like 6 episodes to go and hope they at least catch a beatdown for always ruining it for everyone else.
That's them. I have four episodes to go and they haven't gotten any better. :|
Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM

I got to the end of it and didn't find it satisfying for them. But it was satisfying for everything else!

Really, great job with this season. They handed the main story over to their WOC characters and it was a hundred thousand bajillion times better than the first 2 seasons of the show, or last season's really poorly handled commentary on race.

Also, it was super nice to see what happened to this guy: Piscatella got killed! By a trigger happy police officer!

I get that the show tries to demonstrate the humanity in everybody, even its worst characters. But damn, sometimes it's handled really poorly. Especially with the white supremacists and those two stupid meth heads. Mostly that part sucks because they're presented as like, quirky funny additions to the story, despite their actions harming everybody around them.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 AM
so exciting!

So does Daya get anything to do in the back half of the season because she had, like, that first episode or two and then she went out to the yard and just spreads a sheet out in the background of every scene
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 AM
noble beast

By that point, I believe she's turned herself in and disappears. She does get a flashback episode.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM
the :motion: stands

Well, this season was leaps and bounds above the last season. I wasn't even going to give it a chance, but I ended up watching the first episode, and was relieved that every character was spot-on to how I'd expect them to react to the riot (last season it seemed like characters were acting in whatever way the writers needed them to advance the mandated meta-plot). I enjoyed most of the season, even though I knew exactly when the thematic turning point would be, and the event that would signal it (once they set up the new Library, acknowledging Poussey directly, it was the beginning of the end).

Not too happy with the way it ended, though it was somewhat true to the way things would probably go (in real life there'd probably be more casualties other than WHO WILL DIE OF THESE LOVABLE MAIN CHARACTERS and WELL I GUESS WE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT JUSTICE BEING DONE TO THIS EVIL GAY PSYCHOPATH), and it'll be interesting to see if they actually pull the lever on dumping half of the cast, including splitting up Fla/ritza.

I wouldn't mind a bit if the show pruned a lot of characters after this season. Piper's time has been over since about halfway through season 2, Alex is only good when she's interacting with Nicky, Lorna needs to seriously disappear (I appreciate when the show doesn't feed us "cute and quirky" and lets us see that she's genuinely one of the most dangerous characters in the prison), Yoga and her roommate have run out of interesting (not that her roommate has ever been interesting; note that I can't even recall her name), please let us be fucking done with Angie and Leanne (very glad one of the wacky comic relief characters prides herself on "raping plenty of guys"), Suzanne is more of a plot device than a character at this point (the show has done a good job of pointing out that without nice white parents, there's no way she'd be allowed in a minimum security facility like Litchfield).

Soso could go further in some way but I feel like I'd be okay with her journey being done, Daya is thankfully finished from the show (she's consistently been one of the weakest actors from the get-go),

Tastey's actress knocked it out of the fucking park, but I still absolutely hate it when the lingering EMMY MONOLOGUE HERE camera kicks in, and she got the most of those this season.

All in all, there was a lot of frustrating bits this season, but unlike in Season 4, I absolutely believed every time one of the inmates did something to fuck things up for everyone else, because they were absolutely 100% things those characters would have done The Gloria/Maria setup was awesome, and I didn't even see it coming, but again, 100% true to their characters, especially with Maria misinterpreting what Gloria's reward was and ending up with basically nothing.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:57 PM
I. Love. It.

Finished the season. I have mixed feelings about Season 5 overall, but the finale is pretty strong. Though I hate that it ends on another goddamn cliffhanger and we have to wait a year again to see how this shakes out.

Regarding said cliffhanger, honestly I hope that none of the women die in the fallout, but that seems really unlikely. Feels like this was building up to something big before it stopped. Sure, Piscatella got a bullet in the face (which I am ALSO conflicted on, weirdly enough) but that character death hardly feels big enough. On the other hand, what kind of sense does it make for any of the remaining 10 to be killed, and yet the goddamn Neo Nazis and their Latte club set traps for and attacked the SWAT team and each and every one of them got out without a scratch? Sure that was before Hump's body was found, but even so.

Probably the strongest/saddest moment in the finale was Soso being carried away from the 'library', as her monument to Poussey literally falls to the ground.

The final scenes seem to suggest a culling to the large cast, I can think of a few characters I wouldn't mind never seeing again (Leanne and Angie) but we'll see how things go.

I also really hope they don't belabor the Linda from MCC thing next season. That's run its course, and it would stretch the boundaries of belief for them to keep her behind bars for too long, records or no records. She should only be mistaken for an inmate for as long as it takes for A) Someone to recognize her, B) A friend or family to realize she's missing and Litchfield was the last place she was, or C) She gets access to a phone and calls her damn laywer. I do appreciate Boo's masterclass trolling, all the same though.

Pennsatucky.... echh, I don't even know what to say. :/

That absolute last scene, though, frustrating that it might be was really good. I'm not sure if I want next season to pick up immediately where this one left off, much like the last two seasons did, or for it to pick up some time later once the dust has settled. I kind of want to let things have time to breathe, but I also really want to know what happened right after it cut to orange.

And it's gonna be a yeeeaaaaaar either way!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 AM

One thing I liked about Brooke/Soso getting carried away in the last episode is she does a classic nonviolent protestor move, where they have to exert more effort to carry her out than if she were fighting like the other women did. She doesn't go limp, but she doesn't provoke them, so they have to use multiple people to carry her out. It adds to her character without having to say or show anything else.

Mostly I really liked how the season played out. I knew it wasn't going to end well, but I still kept hoping stuff would end peacefully by the end of it. Also, I kind of liked how the first big crack in the talks happened because of clueless, privileged waste of life Judy King. Aside from basic human empathy, she did not get any character-specific humanizing moments, and hopefully will never show up again now that she's out of prison.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
120 Days

Gawddammit Taystee.

Luschek has an impressive array of moles.