The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 AM
TARANTUL

Pretty sure all the destructable walls are marked?
Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

90-95% of them are, and obviously, but there are some blank ones.

Usually not hard to figure out where though; they usually stick out a bit.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:49 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

The bottle smacking game became significantly easier for me when I realized you could jump and smack them out of the air.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I've been finding Spectre slightly frustrating. His wall run thwarts a lot of my recovery reflexes since jumping out of it usually leaves you worse off. And there's a lot of situations where getting too close to a wall in the air turns a safe situation into death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Yeah, I'm having a hard time with Spectre's controls too. Still liking it, but not as much as Plague.
This is where I am, too. I just find Specter kind of annoying to control. I usually end up wall running or jumping in a way I don't intend to and getting messed up.

....wait what is this code

WHAT ARE ANY OF THESE CODES, I HAD NO IDEA THESE EXISTED
Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
This is where I am, too. I just find Specter kind of annoying to control. I usually end up wall running or jumping in a way I don't intend to and getting messed up.

....wait what is this code

WHAT ARE ANY OF THESE CODES, I HAD NO IDEA THESE EXISTED
Much like many NES games, Shovel Knight uses its name entry on a new save file as a sort of 'cheat code entry' as well.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Not a Beer

... man, that's a ridiculous number of codes. Nice. But only on new game, so I probably won't mess with 'em for a while.

Oh yeah, some townsperson said you could destroy checkpoints for treasure, but I hit one like a zillion times (okay several dozen at least) and it only vibrated?
Old 05-13-2017, 03:48 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Oh yeah, some townsperson said you could destroy checkpoints for treasure, but I hit one like a zillion times (okay several dozen at least) and it only vibrated?
Was it a checkpoint in the first stage? They can't break. The checkpoints in the very first stage (as it is a tutorial) and the very last (because final battle I guess) have golden wings on them and are unbreakable.

Keep in mind, breaking a checkpoint for treasure removes it as a checkpoint. It's basically a method for speedruns or treasure runs, it's not something I'd recommend for a first time through the game.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Not a Beer

Ah that makes sense. I was trying to break them on a re-play of the intro level since I figured I didn't really need them there anymore.

Played Pridemoor Keep tonight and the level was fun (found a bunch of secrets, may or may not have got all of 'em), but I only got through the boss by cheesing it with a health restore potion. Had a hard time dealing with that jump pattern. Oh, and I also cheesed the last book-temporary-platforms segment because I kept getting hit by the molten pots while rushing and falling into pits.

Then I got a map encounter and a treasure encounter, those are kind of cool. Bought second health and magic upgrades, though I'm wondering if I should be keeping some cash on hand in case of finding the relic seller in levels. I did get the fire wand in Pridemoor.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:45 AM
James K Polk Bandito

In my experience, I was able to collect enough treasure per stage by exploring thoroughly to handle the majority of the upgrades as they pop up without replays (and that's without breaking checkpoints). By the time I beat it, I had everything before the final stage. But there is a point where a bevy of things will pop up and you likely won't have the money to afford it all right off, but you will as you continue on through more levels.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Not a Beer

So for the record, I went back into the Explodatorium with almost no money on hand (I'd just spent it all at the armor ship) because I realized I'd stupidly missed the relic room in it, and I ended up without enough money to buy it, by only like a few dozen coins but with no way to collect them and still get to the relic. :P Since that was the only reason I'd gone in I just quit back to the map.

Also man, this game is getting a little hard and I'm not even halfway through yet.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 PM
James K Polk Bandito

Spoilering this in case you don't want any hints: Chester will carry over any missed relics to the Village after you beat a level. So you can save up and then go visit him there instead of trekking back through a level
Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Doesn't that cost more? If money was already an issue, that might be a tough sell.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM
James K Polk Bandito

Mogri - That's correct; I forgot that part. But at the very least it cuts backtracking for them.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Not a Beer

So far the one thing in this game that frustrates me is when I hit a tricky platforming section, sometimes with new tricks I end up learning by being bad at them for a while and dying a lot, and I whittle down my gold exponentially because I keep falling in different pits and not always making it back to my previous dropped stash. Some of the special treasure-challenge stages (the ones featuring a particular relic) I've limped out of with barely more treasure left than I went in with. OTOH, I've pretty much been able to buy everything I need *anyway*, so.

Just pushed back the fog for a second time, lots of fun stuff. Oh and I think Kratos is wandering around my map now?? I'm... a little hesitant about saying hello and probably getting into a fight.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Not a Beer

Jumped back in just briefly and did that spoilered fight... man. He wouldn't be that bad if he didn't get like two full health refills... and then it took me a while to figure out how best not to fall off the screen in the round, which takes off a big chunk of your health. Went in with two red chalices and only won by the skin of my teeth, though I'm sure I could do better if I did it again.

Anyway, curious to see what this new toy does other than give you a new combo attack. Something about orbs apparently...

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention yesterday, it took me a stupidly long time to realize you can cancel out of pogo-bouncing without landing on something unbreakable. Incidentally, not knowing this makes one room in the Lost City completely impossible. Whoops.

Last edited by Kirin; 05-22-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club