The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 AM
This Guy

No, its Hawkeye's occasionally dead ex-wife.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Since when is freakin' Odinson, former Thor, a Nazi?
Ásatrú.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
...well who could've seen this ending of American Gods playing out.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
wait is that mockingbird the one from the thunderbolts
There was no Mockingbird on the Thunderbolts. Are you thinking of Songbird?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:55 PM
so exciting!

birds are all the same
Old 06-15-2017, 03:11 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
birds are all the same
I don't know the difference between the 50 ant men on that chart either. Why is being tiny such a popular power for a hero?

Like- couldn't Tony Stark or Mr. Fantastic or Vision or Ultron or Peter Parker or Doctor Doom or Black Panther or Bruce Banner or Amadeus Cho or Klaw or that guy who's the Lizard in his spare time easily whip up some kind of tiny man-detector or an 'A Tiny Man Is Eavesdropping' alarm and nullify any usefulness that power might have?
Old 06-15-2017, 03:52 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Whenever DC and Marvel do crossovers again, I want an issue where Hawkgirl walks into a bar, sits down on a stool next to Wanda, and they just complain about their respective backstories for 22 pages.
Donna Troy: "Hold my beer."
Old 06-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Undisclosed, though it may have something to do with Cap having the hammer, which means he may also have Jane.

In the spirit of your question rather than the text: find me one person who worships the norse gods today who isn't a nazi.
I actually know quite a few, all of whom are quite markedly angry over once again having to deal with nazi scumbags appropriating their cultural heritage... and in a fashion I really wouldn't qualify as "worshiping" at that.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Donna Troy: "Hold my beer."
*nods* Fair point. Donna certainly got to the "holy shit my continuity is fucked up" point before anyone else.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:31 AM
This Guy

Like the moment of her creation, when Bob Haney (I think) turned weird Wonder Woman stories where she teams up with her teenage self into a teenage sidekick that had not previously existed?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Like the moment of her creation, when Bob Haney (I think) turned weird Wonder Woman stories where she teams up with her teenage self into a teenage sidekick that had not previously existed?
You could also argue that her messed up backstory was the impetus for a lot of DC's continuity cleanup efforts in the 80s, since it was Wolfman and Perez who noticed that it needed addressing in Titans, and then they went on to Crisis.

Of course, Crisis and Perez thoroughly fucked whatever cleanup efforts they'd done....
Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Mystery Contraption

I was surprised at how early (issue #2 of Fantastic Four) one of my very favourite pieces of world building in the whole of the Marvel universe was established; that there exists an in-fiction Marvel Comics that found its proper foot when it started exclusively telling tactfully edited, Ripped-from-the-headlines style dramas.

My other favourite is the existence of Damage Control, the company that deals with superpowered insurance claims. But I don't think they were introduced until the 90s.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM
noble beast

Listening to Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men recently (goddamn this thread for introducing me to a podcast I can listen to!) reminded me of a personal fav: how aggressive and militaristic the Canadian government is in the Marvel universe.

BTW I do consider Alpha Flight an X-book. It got a beautiful spread in that 2000-ish X-encyclopedia I had as a child! I'll concede it's an edge case, but that's it.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM
This Guy

How many Xs are in the title 'Alpha Flight'? It is no X book. *hopes no one thinks of New Mutants*
Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 PM
noble beast

As many as in Wolverine!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Listening to Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men recently (goddamn this thread for introducing me to a podcast I can listen to!) reminded me of a personal fav: how aggressive and militaristic the Canadian government is in the Marvel universe.
I love that recent (~6 months old) issues of Captain Marvel have confirmed that her Alpha Flight isn't just reusing the name it's actually Alpha Flight, severely limiting the US government's ability to fuck with it. So it appears that the modern Marvel Comics Universe has most of the world approximating the current tech level, give or take some AIs and ray guns...

... And then Canada and Wakanda have space stations and starfighters.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:

BTW I do consider Alpha Flight an X-book. It got a beautiful spread in that 2000-ish X-encyclopedia I had as a child! I'll concede it's an edge case, but that's it.
Oh, right. That's my third favorite.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Safe Space

Puck is weird.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:43 PM
noble beast

Seems like every (?) issue of UXM volume 1 is on Marvel Unlimited, (good) but I'm disappointed that older secondary/tertiary books are patcher. New Mutants has at least been given a full digital release; (I think) there was just a sale. Meanwhile, I've always wanted to check out old X-Factor, (I really liked Louise Simonson's X-Factor Forever) but it doesn't look like it's been completely released digitally.

And no Mutant X!! (Tragedy) The 90's were wild, 3 years of Alex Summers in a random alternate reality.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
New Mutants has at least been given a full digital release
Unfortunately not. It's complete through 61, and then again from Liefeld's first issue (86) until the end (100). In the pre-Liefeld latter half, it only has issues relevant to major crossover events (Inferno, etc.).

At the rate they add issues, they would probably need 3ish updates where New Mutants is the classic comic they add to finish it off. (For example, the most recent update's major classic add was Alpha Flight #9-19. But before that it was Daredevil, and before that it was Spider-Man 2099, so there's no pattern to what they focus on as far as I can tell...)

I bet those stragglers will be added near the release date of the movie in 2018, though, if they don't before then...
Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 PM
noble beast

Dang!!

Also, you reminded me that I'm disappointed Alpha Flight, vol 2, isn't On Line. I'm sure it'll be there soon.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
so there's no pattern to what they focus on as far as I can tell...
They're actually digitizing all these classics as they add them, right? I imagine at least some of it is what they've been able to find sufficiently high-quality sources for.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

This week in Mighty Thor, Volstagg the Voluminous befriends some delightful orphan refugees! Yay! And then he watches all the children die in his arms in a magical firebombing! Boo! So then Volstagg, traditionally the delightful comic relief of the Thor pantheon, decides to grab Ultimate Mjölnir and become WAR THOR, THE THOR MADE FOR WAR! So we've basically got Volstagg the Vengeful going here.

That's... fun.

And then in Ultimates 2, EGO THE LIVING PLANET gains a tragic backstory where he was just a dude trying to survive the death of his planet, and kind of accidentally became EGO THE LIVING PLANET. And then EGO THE LIVING PLANET evolves a torso and limbs, so now he's EGO, THE GIANT DUDE WITH A LIVING PLANET FOR A HEAD. And then he joins a bunch of other celestial beings (not The Celestials) to fight a war for the sake of the universe.

Weird week.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:51 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
They're actually digitizing all these classics as they add them, right? I imagine at least some of it is what they've been able to find sufficiently high-quality sources for.
I dunno, a lot of their gaps I've noticed are late 80s/early 90s titles, not super rare books that might be hard to find in good condition. Less than a materials/sources issue, it feels more like a donut hole of prioritization that is neither the classics people looking to start from 1960s issue #1s demand, but also not close enough to the start of standardized Marvel Unlimited to be prioritized as recent.

They do a ton of color correction and cleaning up (too much, in my opinion) to make the books more vibrant than they ever actually did in print, so it understandably takes time. My assumption is that it's more about only having so many staff members devoted to doing that touch up work on not quite modern, but not quite classic books. The bottleneck is probably not that they don't have the material, but just that they do a lot of processing of the material they have.

I'm sure they have some internal schedule that makes sense, but to an outsider it feels arbitrary. (I pretty much only subscribe temporarily when there's a deal, so I admittedly probably don't pay close enough attention to notice a pattern...)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It also could be contractual: DC has a weird block on reprinting a lot of their material (generally 70s - 80s-ish stuff).
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
It also could be contractual: DC has a weird block on reprinting a lot of their material (generally 70s - 80s-ish stuff).
I think it's likely not that either, because major issues (anything part of a crossover, the first appearance of an important character) are already up in these conspicuously absent runs.

I think the simplest explanation is that they prioritized more recent books and the most popular/classic books to launch the service, and they are only willing to pay so many staffers to slowly color correct late 80s/early 90s books like of X-Factor and the New Warriors.

If anything, I'm kind of impressed that they do seem to be slowly filling in this gap.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 AM
noble beast

Well hey, a new contiguous chunk of old Alpha Flight popped up this week. Mysterious! Catching up to an already released omnibus, so I guess it might be a while before more comes out.

Caught up on the Gwenpool what's on Marvel Unlimited. D*ng, that's a good book. Bit depressing. Almost considering buying the rest of the issues, especially b/c I've seen a bit where the comic takes on goddamn Kitty Pryde. (I've been further radicalized against her since I read the dire Black Vortex crossover in full)

Going through Silver Age X-Men, too. Not nearly as painful as I was expecting. The gang are absolute assholes to the Blob in X-Men 3. Lots of excellence, but my favorite bit might be Professor X expressing a desire to one day no longer use his voice ever again in favor of telepathy in the first issue.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
This week in Mighty Thor, Volstagg the Voluminous befriends some delightful orphan refugees! Yay! And then he watches all the children die in his arms in a magical firebombing! Boo! So then Volstagg, traditionally the delightful comic relief of the Thor pantheon, decides to grab Ultimate Mjölnir and become WAR THOR, THE THOR MADE FOR WAR! So we've basically got Volstagg the Vengeful going here.

That's... fun.

And then in Ultimates 2, EGO THE LIVING PLANET gains a tragic backstory where he was just a dude trying to survive the death of his planet, and kind of accidentally became EGO THE LIVING PLANET. And then EGO THE LIVING PLANET evolves a torso and limbs, so now he's EGO, THE GIANT DUDE WITH A LIVING PLANET FOR A HEAD. And then he joins a bunch of other celestial beings (not The Celestials) to fight a war for the sake of the universe.

Weird week.
EGO THE LIVING PLANET actually got that back story in '70s Thor, in one of the weirder cosmic storylines. I can't remember which one as they all kind of blur together - it might have been the one where Galactus tried to eat him? This is also your reminder that EGO THE LIVING PLANET used to exist in a living sub-universe called the "bio-verse" and as such has pretty much always been super weird.

Volstagg is pretty neat IMO, because he's done the "actually I am a TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD" thing before, but infrequently enough that it's easy to forget about or miss. Which lends a whole new layer to his boasting while staying out of the way of Hogun and Fandrall
Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post

Weird week.
I was following Ultimates 2 with excessive interest given all the cosmic and quasi-religious stuff going on in there, but particularly because Master Law and Lord Chaos fusing into LOGOS was Shin Megami Tensei as HELL (and my God, that character design). But then Secret Empire happened and I stopped buying Marvel until they get their sanity back (and I'm not reading pirate sites for it, not now, not ever). How's the LOGOS thing progressing? Have they revived The Adam Tribunal yet?

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes