The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

A decent start overall, but a bit of a muddy narrative hurt it.

Good stuff -

- Amy's hot as hell, although (a) shame she won't be keeping the police outfit and (b) we'd better see that french maid outfit at some point. Interesting to have a companion that brings even less to the table than Donna, though - she's a lot like Rose in that way.
- 11's got a decent amount of charm to him, although he almost seems more like a reflection of Tennant than his own distinct character. He's less manic than Tennant's interpretation so far, which is at least a good direction to go with it.
- Good, solid creepy-as-fuck monster to kick things off, which was lacking in a lot of the RTD stories. This one you could see working well with Baker and a special effects budget less than what I'll spend at Subway this month.
- While they admittedly always get me all excited when they air that montage of all the prior doctors, it's almost overplayed at this point.
- The episode was very well-paced, aside from the opening sequence (see below)
- I dig the new opening, although I miss that shot where the camera rotates around the Tardis itself.
- Decent ongoing plotline set up via Prisoner Zero's dialogue, although it seems a bit too reminiscent of the disappearing planets thread from season four.

Bad Stuff -

- Just about all the music. Someone lock Murray Gold in a closet, or at least force him to turn in a score that doesn't have an angelic chorus wailing away during key scenes.
- The new TARDIS set, if only because I thought I caught a glimpse of an all-white set in one of the preview trailers and really want to see a done-up-with-the-modern-budget version of that look.
- The prologue was a mess: The scene with the foods pandered to the kid audience a bit too much, even if it set something up later. The cold open over London was unnecessary and didn't give enough of a 'sting' into the credits, and the bit with Amelia was a couple minutes longer than it should've been.
- Good LORD did the Tardis flying over London look horrible in HD. The cell-shaded one in "The Infinite Quest" looked more realistic. And I already know it's too much to ask to just have the damn thing appear and sit in a corner for the entire episode, since the trailer at the end had it flying around.

Overall, solid, but it's safe to say this won't challenge "Blink" in the Moffat rankings. But a gleaming model of restraint compared to RTD's final eps, which is all you can ask.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 AM
borgn

I really love the new logo, it feels like an update of one of the older series.

Minor detail but it sticks out and flavors the experience.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Unreliable Narrator

At first I thought the new title sequence was related to the TARDIS being reborn, but I guess it's related to the cracks in time thing instead. The music is not very good though, like the instrumental version and old woowoo electronic stuff were awkwardly mixed together.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think it was more just "OOOH! LIGHTNING!" than any narrative-related reason; they won't change it for a couple years, I'm guessing.

The full theme is a bit better, but that's because they had the sense to not mess with the 'middle eight' bit.

(I'm assuming Smith's still credited as "The Doctor", although I didn't check to make sure. I still admire Tennant for being such a geek that he insisted on that change.)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
It's all good, man

According to IMDb, he is. When I first started watching the show and realized why it was actually called that, I had quite a laugh. Crediting an actor as "Doctor Who" hurts that a fair bit.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Very punny.

I dunno, I kinda like the theme. It seems retro, and since I'm getting a 7th and Ace feel from this pair up (well, plus some unfortunate Doctor crushing), it kinda fits.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
According to IMDb, he is. When I first started watching the show and realized why it was actually called that, I had quite a laugh. Crediting an actor as "Doctor Who" hurts that a fair bit.
Yeah, I still don't know why they screwed that up for the first season back. Heck, I think they even got it right for the TV Movie.

I stand corrected on one thing - someone pointed out to me that the flashback sequence showing all the former doctors was different from the one in "The Next Doctor."

And seeing Ghandi in that clip makes me think that would make ripe material for a storyline. I know Big Finish has set a couple shows in India, but if they ever get the budget for it, it'd be awesome to go back to pre-WWII India.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:15 AM
I Cuss You Bad

There are four Doctor Who adventure games coming soon. And they'll be free!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
And they'll likely suck!
Quote:
"By aiming these interactive episodes at the broad audience of the TV show - unique in British television, in that it encompasses at least three generations - we're aiming to encourage the family to gather round the PC or Mac in the same way they do the television,
Just track down that really good 4th doctor adventure game someone made in AGS a couple of years ago - I think it got to two episodes before the BBC cut its knees off because they wanted to preserve their ability to put out crappy Dalek flash games.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
And they'll likely suck!

Charles Cecil's behind these though, and he knows his adventure games. And even if they do suck we can't complain about wasting money on them.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Charles Cecil's behind these though, and he knows his adventure games. And even if they do suck we can't complain about wasting money on them.
Oh, I know, it's just that aiming an adventure game at an all-ages audience always runs the risk of taking any challenge out of it, and the BBC isn't exactly an entity I think is capable of making a hard choice in that regard.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Terrible confusion

I am pumped to see the new series. I've been wanting to get into Doctor Who for a while now, but I figured I would just wait until the new Doctor took over to do so. I've seen enough random David Tennant episodes to know that I like it, so it'll be nice to start following it chronologically.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
I am pumped to see the new series. I've been wanting to get into Doctor Who for a while now, but I figured I would just wait until the new Doctor took over to do so. I've seen enough random David Tennant episodes to know that I like it, so it'll be nice to start following it chronologically.
Good. Now be like everyone else in Canada and just BitTorrent it.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Hawkguy

Amy Pond's hot. I got a thing for redheads.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Easily the hottest companion of this series. Martha was is now number 2.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Terrible confusion

I just watched the new episode. I really, really liked it! Very fun, and I love both the new Doctor and his companion. Even though I can't fully appreciate it, I like how they worked in a bunch of old scenes of past episodes and Doctors. It's neat that a show that's been on this long still acknowledges all that canon. Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
This.

I'm only 14 days older than her, we could totally make a relationship work.

Last edited by Bergasa; 04-09-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Penalty Box

Am I the only one who thinks the preview at the end of the second episode for the third episode (title omitted on account of spoilers) might have been cut so that the snippets of episode dialogue combine with the background ending theme music to evoke Jon Pertwee's "I Am the Doctor" song?

Edit: Well, maybe not, at least not intentionally, but I think it ends up having the same formula and some of the fun of that song if you remember it.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

T-minus two minutes on the Torrent (I think that's the Demonoid one).
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
T-minus two minutes on the Torrent (I think that's the Demonoid one).
I meant to start it before I left for errands! It's ETA is currently an hour 50. arrrggghhhh
Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Terrible confusion

Wow, those go up quick. Torrent get!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Comprehends Words

Thanks for the reminder, guys! 26 minutes and counting.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Demonoid's registrations are / were open - I have a temporary account on this laptop because I still haven't ported my stuff over from the old one - and they usually get a well-seeded torrent up about 90 minutes after the episode finishes airing in the UK.

I gotta say, if Moffat doesn't give credit to Terry Pratchett for that ending, I'll be disappointed in him.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Hawkguy

I'm not a big fan of that episode. Bit too early for serious Doctor.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think they were going for "Dalek" with that one, but missed the mark. Also was pretty odd visually - just didn't look like a regular episode.

You know what the biggest dropoff's been so far? Confidential just isn't that much fun to watch since Smith seems a bit more standoffish when he's doing the interviews than Tennant ever was. He seems like an actor talking about a role, whereas Tennant was just a laid-back guy talking about his favourite TV show.

Last edited by Sven; 04-10-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 AM
It's all good, man

People seem negative on it but I thought it was fine. Pretty pedestrian for Moffat but that will happen when you're writing half the season.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
I gotta say, if Moffat doesn't give credit to That guy from that thing for that ending, I'll be disappointed in him.
If you're referring to what I think you are, he hardly came up with the idea. That episode's more beholden to George Lucas than him, unless I'm missing something.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
I think they were going for "Dalek" with that one, but missed the mark.
I'd argue that they were going for "The Fires of Pompeii" with this, in that instead of Donna convincing the Doctor to save the family and preserve a bit of humanity despite his wonky no-interference rules, you have Amy outright defying the Doctor and risking the last of humanity in order to save the star whale from perishing. Well, maybe it's more similar than I thought.

I enjoyed the episode. Yes, it was a bit formulaic (and I felt the little girl's significance was squandered -- why is she so brave? how does LizTen know her? it weakened Amy's epiphany for me), but man, those carnival heads freaked me out like nobody's business. While I'm a bit ambivalent to see Daleks show up so quickly, I'm holding out hope that this means they'll have nothing to do with the season finale. Also, Churchill! War games! And I want that poster, oh yes.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Terrible confusion

So what kind of schedule is Doctor Who on? It seems like an odd time for a show to be starting (at least by North American standards). Does it run through the summer?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycar View Post
If you're referring to what I think you are, he hardly came up with the idea. That episode's more beholden to George Lucas than him, unless I'm missing something.
I know, but in terms of the SF/F zeitgeist, Pratchett has ownership of the idea more than anyone else.

The red-tinged scene was indeed a direct lift from ANH, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
So what kind of schedule is Doctor Who on? It seems like an odd time for a show to be starting (at least by North American standards). Does it run through the summer?
Well, remember that the UK isn't as beholden to the three sweeps months as American TV is. It usually runs from Easterish until 13 weeks later, although they've been tinkering with it a bit and there's probably going to be some delays this year due to the World Cup - same thing happened back in Season Two.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I Cuss You Bad

I really enjoyed it. Other than the Lancashire crack, of course. Bastards.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff