The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Crabjörn

Right. Most characters treat Dash as a way to get out of no-win situations, but quite a few can use it to gain momentum and a bit of an edge, particularly those that accumulate a resource over time.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Crabjörn

At this point I've kind of gone lenient re: Adjenna's Dash, mostly because I barely ever see people play as her and therefore don't really have a horse in the race.

But for those who don't know: Adjenna gives out Petrification counters if she is adjacent and not stunned. She can do this on a Dash. This is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds, and good luck countering it.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM

So I just found out about the battle-con online kickstarted from another one I backed. I put in the 10 for the beta, because why not. Hopefully it turns out good.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I backed the Online kickstarter too, but I'm thinking of pulling out. Level 99's games always sound so interesting but, while they're usually enjoyable, actually playing them fails to really light me up and I've already given them so much money.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Crabjörn

I really like their games, but the main reason I'm not backing BCO is because, well... we were already kind of promised that as part of the Kickstarter for Devastation. I don't even know how many campaigns they've run between then and now, but as much as I like their games, I'm going to hang onto my money and not pay twice for the same thing.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Inherently Stealthy

I actually like the experience of playing card games with actual cards and other people. I only really play the simplest in digital form.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Crabjörn

Default warning: huge skeleton and t-1000

So, Fate of Indines was revealed. Like I do, I'm going to post a bunch of character profiles and tell people all about the wonderful and stupid new characters that are now available for consumption via eyeballs.

Disclaimer: I haven't fully played as all of the characters yet, but as they are simpler than most as a rule, and there aren't that many to begin with, I think I can speak with confidence as to their handling. And in the event I end up being flagrantly wrong, I will blame it on me having a bias because the characters I wanted in Fate didn't get voted in. (That qualifies as an excuse, right?)

Lord Eustace

"If that's how it has to be, then let's settle this like gentlemen!"

Lord Eustace is the baron of Kherodza, a Relecan holding that stands as a hub of traders and trappers. He began ruling over Kherodza during the first Centennial War, when Rexan was still around, and earned a reputation for his sense of justice and propriety. He made a close friend in the form of Shendrassa, a water elemental who not only would've opened trade to the elemental nation, but saved his life following an assassination by Heketch. Shendrassa's spirit is now bound to Eustace's body, and he continues to manage Kherodza in his current form from the shadows, not wanting to terrify his people.

Unique Mechanic: Shendrassa's Embrace. Eustace builds up a supply of Frostflow counters over the course of the fight, which can be anted for Soak 1 apiece. However, Eustace loses a token if he gets damaged and/or stunned, and if he should lose one when he can't, he instead loses 3 life and automisses.
Strengths: Eustace hits consistently hard, and the ability to get soak on-demand makes him exceptionally powerful, weathering dangerous attacks with ease. There isn't much else to say here, because as Cadenza has proven, sometimes having lots of soak and hitting hard is all you need.
Weaknesses: Eustace manages to combine Marmelee's easy disruption, Hikaru's poor range, and César's complete lack of priority into one extremely brittle package. You'll need to focus on dodging enemy attacks long enough to get the Frostflow to soak what the opponent throws at you.

Baenvier Marlgrove

"Magic, Science, Gods, or Daemons - any power outside your own hands is merely a crutch."

Baenvier is a high-ranking Vaum (i.e. vampire, like Demitras) soldier in the army of Gesselheim. Like most Vaum, Baenvier enjoys a hearty natural resistance to magic. Unlike most Vaum, Baenvier leverages this offensively as well as defensively, to wield cursed weapons and armor without harm to himself. He likewise relishes this durability against opponents' offensives in combat and has zero qualms about mocking them about it.

Unique Mechanic: Spellbreaker. Baenvier has 3 Spellbreaker tokens, which he can ante during a fight to cause all players to return their Style cards (which includes Special Actions or Strikers) to their hands. Much like Cadenza, he can't regain these tokens, so he has to make them count.
Strengths: Baenvier has some very all-around solid stats, with only one style having a penalty to priority, and none going below +0 power. He has a few tricks that let him neutralize enemy capabilities, but usually he just gets by using his own raw power to be better than the opponent. Plus, he can disrupt special actions with anted tokens, which is, uh, KIND OF NUTS.
Weaknesses: Not only is his UA fairly weak for most of the game, but Baenvier can very easily shoot himself in the foot with his Curse and Spellforge styles, giving the opponent an opening that Alexian would shake his head disapprovingly at. And if he does use a Spellbreak token, he needs to be sure the bases he has on hand can beat the ones the opponent uses.

Thessala Three

"Anything that stands in my way will be cut to shreds!"

Thessala Three is Yet Another Willati Supersoldier (YAWS), this time being an artificially created steel elemental capable of shapeshifting to mold her body into the right tool for the job. She was dispatched to seek out one of the keys to the Underlands, where tech and magic beyond current capabilities are rumored to be held. I mean, that's what almost everyone is doing in Fate, but Thessala kind of forgot to have a character outside of being a bloodthirsty maniac, so I may as well list that here.

Unique Mechanic: Continuous Evolution. In their ongoing quest to destroy my documentation via Google Drive, Thessala is the first BattleCON character to have a separate board, namely the Evolution Board. She adds Trackers to it as an ante, gaining the benefit on the space she places it on, but can only place to spaces adjacent to other trackers.
Strengths: Very few characters have the adaptability and versatility that Thessala does. She's reminiscent of Kehrolyn mechanically, but the later effects on her Evolution Board can far outpace even Kehrolyn, and her styles have a little more trickery than Kehrolyn's do.
Weaknesses: Not only do you start by building up weak effects to get to strong ones, but how you place your counters can give the opponent a good idea which direction you're planning on building Thessala, letting them counterplay accordingly.

Jager Brandtford

"I guess it's time to go on my own adventure for a change."

Hey wait, we've seen this guy before! Jager formerly appeared in wolf form alongside his sister Karin, but as of Fate, he's set off with Lord Eustace to keep people from misusing the keys to the Underlands. Karin, presumably, is dealing with being left alone by eating massive delicious cakes and complaining to Marmelee. Jager tends to prefer being a human to being a wolf, but either way he's just as vicious a fighter as his sister.

Unique Mechanic: Signature Move. Jager gets 4 cards that represent complete attacks on their own. These work like Ante finishers, in that he can set one face-down as an ante to have it completely replace his attack pair. Once used, a Signature Move is exhausted for the duration of the duel.
Strengths: Jager handles a lot like Karin does, favoring mobility (especially switching sides) and all-around decent stats to keep the opponent off-balance. The real threat is his Signature moves, which he can use to force the opponent to play to guard against them.
Weaknesses: Much like a normal Finisher, once Jager blows a Signature move, the threat it represented vanishes. Unlike normal Finishers, Signature Moves, while technically impressive, are honestly not too dangerous unless he uses a style to prepare for one, in which case the opponent can easily see it coming.

Sarafina Vanedran

"Fascinating. Let me see the full extent of your capabilities."

We've seen her before too! Sarafina was in Devastation as "that odd girl on the Lesson cards". Turns out she's the youngest Magister of Willat yet, and responsible for, among other things, the design of the ARIA unit and dispatch for Division Thirteen, where Clinhyde operates. Sarafina's specialty is augmentative devices, particularly holoprojections, but the most surprising skill of hers is her martial arts. She is the kung fu scientist we all wish we could be.

Unique Mechanic: Holoprojections. Remember that one Arec style where he drops a clone on the board and you have to guess which of two positions he's going to be at next beat? Sarafina does that every beat, with the option of placing a Projection marker at the range indicated on her style at the end of the beat.
Strengths: Sarafina, much like Tanis before her, brings incredible amounts of mobility and mindgames to the table. Having to play against several ranges is hard for most characters to reasonably do, and Sarafina's effects mean she can usually function just fine at either range.
Weaknesses: Sarafina's stats are low enough that she NEEDS to be tricky to stay ahead of the game. Again, much like Tanis, she won't be doing lots of damage or going superfast unless everything lines up, and opponents can usually deny or predict those effects.

Last edited by Kalir; 10-10-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
i found the best battlecon character
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Jager formerly appeared in wolf form alongside his sister Karin, but as of Fate, he's set off with Lord Eustace to keep people from misusing the keys to the Underlands. Karin, presumably, is dealing with being left alone by eating massive delicious cakes and complaining to Marmelee.
Actually, according to one of the Kickstarter updates she has a dragon now. So there's that.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Actually, according to one of the Kickstarter updates she has a dragon now. So there's that.
Marmelee is a dragon.

I wanna try the fate characters but I don't have Tabletop Simulator or the actual game or anything. They're all super weird anyway.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I tried out Jager against Brad last year at BGGcon. He was playing the magical girl whose name I forget. Jager was fun times. I remember the signature moves as being pretty strong, but several of them were situational.

Both characters were obviously preproduction prototypes (magical girl in particular having just gone through a major revision), so it's totally possible that they were completely changed since then.

Brad won, of course
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 AM
TARANTUL

Can you spoiler pop those huge images, Kalir? they make the post impossible to read since it stretches the text out across the width (at laptop resolution, anyway).
Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Crabjörn

NO. WEAKLING.yeah it's done
Old 09-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Crabjörn

THAT IS SO GOSH DARN EXCITING I'M GOING TO POST THE REST OF THE FATE PROFILES RIGHT NOW

Larimore Burman

"I didn't expect to pick up this mantle again... but this is too important to leave to fate."

One more familiar face for the pool, although most people are probably familiar with his dragon form from Devastation's Scenarios. Larimore Burman is one of the few dragons who lives openly and comfortably among the people of Indines, and despite his terrifying command of war magic he prefers the (relatively) quiet life, teaching at Argent University as the Dean of Sorcery. Occasionally Adjenna pesters him into testing out would-be heroes, but usually he tends to hold back in duels out of sport.

Unique Mechanic: Firepower. Much like Marmelee, Burman (apparently he uses his last name mainly?) can spend Firepower tokens on many of his card effects to do assorted cheaty nonsense. Unlike Marmelee, Burman gains this by consciously charging up, inciting penalties to his stats for a beat or two.
Strengths: Dragonflare is too damn good of a finisher. More practically: Burman has about as much freedom in capabilities as Marmelee does, and if he has lots of Firepower, he's surprisingly quick for how hard he can potentially hit. He also has an excellent range game, being comfortable fighting at anywhere on the board.
Weaknesses: In order to maintain the upper hand, he'll need to regularly spend Firepower, and he will frequently want to charge counters while spending them at the same time, so keeping up with the opponent gets to be pretty tricky, and you'll usually have to spend quite a bit of Firepower to really land those decisive hits.

Irialandradayamorella

"I am Chaos; the hand of fate that balances the scales!"

Everyone just calls her Iri. Anyway, Iri is a Chaon like Oriana, not nearly as powerful as her but still respectably dangerous. While her goals are mostly unknown, she's more than willing to help Indines in repelling Oriana, as well as any other threats from her homeland. Most of the time she uses the low-power Magical Form seen here, but her true form is much more alien, a faceless betentacled unknown thing.

Unique Mechanic: Starlight Change! And yes, the exclamation point is mandatory. Iri has three forms she can switch between in a duel during ante. Switching forms grants one kind of benefit, while maintaining her current form grants another.
Strengths: Keeping up with Iri's many form changes is easier said than done, and her capabilities on any given beat can vary quite drastically. She could be light and speedy one beat, heavyweight and tanky another, blasting away from a distance or delivering a brutal hammer blow up close.
Weaknesses: Her forms each tend to come with a weakness of some kind. Magical Form has low power, Knight Form has low priority, and Cosmic Form is best handled at long range. Changing forms lets her work around these problems, but doing so also incurs the largest penalties, while staying as is makes her more predictable.

Welsie Acktern

"I can't let things play out like this again... I have to fix it..."

Welsie serves many roles throughout Indines: Planestalker, Argent University professor, and Willati Magister. The reason behind this is that one of her powers as a Chaon is the ability to completely ignore rules of causality. As such, she can more or less freely travel through time, and has no problem with her past/future selves helping each other out. She's also the one responsible for mentoring Clinhyde, and wants to see him discover his own morality, so at the very least she's not likely to abuse her power too much.

Unique Mechanic: Time Loop. During Ante, Welsie can play one of three Decision cards. The one she chooses lets her swap her attack pair for one in her discards. Without getting too far into the meat of it, this means that she can repeat attacks she played in previous beats, which is exactly as terrifying as it sounds.
Strengths: Welsie possesses a ridiculous amount of disruptive power. A lot of her attacks get stronger the more frequently you play them, and being able to play from her discards means she can play a LOT of attacks repeatedly. Needless to say, she can still play attacks normally if she wants, so she has plenty of options too.
Weaknesses: Welsie needs to consistently hit in order to play discarded attacks (so she can't hit once and then blast Goemon's Impact theme for the rest of the match). Additionally, her range is, while not quite as focused as Rukyuk's, about in the same vein, so she'll need to keep her distance to avoid being disrupted at a key moment.

Alumis

"These secrets too will belong to me."

Y'all remember Regicide Heketch, right? What a fun fellow he is! As it happens, most Rasps aren't quite as murderous as he, since they feed off of the fear of most beings in Indines. Alumis is much closer to the standard in that vein. She's traveled to Indines from the Shadow Plane in search of untold power, and has used her considerable grasp of illusion magic to take on a humanoid appearance as another Argent University professor.

Unique Mechanic: Shadow Manipulation. Each opponent Alumis faces has a Shadow marker that follows them around the field as they move, which Alumis can then use to do assorted silly nonsense.
Strengths: Did you ever try playing as Karin, but couldn't keep Jager close enough to the opponent to disrupt them? Then Alumis is for you. She has a lot of ways to meddle with the plans of an opponent and excels at punishing the obvious move. (Honorable mention to her Horrific style, which is every heavyweight's worst fear.)
Weaknesses: She's honestly on the weak side as far as stats go. Like Malandrax, most of her strength comes from the opponent being afraid of what tricks she'll pull and her capitalizing on that accordingly. If the opponent isn't afraid of those tricks, she doesn't really have much else.

Xenetia Zook

"If it costs my own life to save you, so be it!"

Xenetia is what you'd get if Iji learned blood magic after her game ended. Like Hepzibah, she is a skilled vivimancer and bloodmage. Unlike Hepzibah, she doesn't give a damn about fame, and on account of her appearance changing as she absorbs blood and her long lifespan, nobody really knows her that well anyway. Her goal is to learn enough about vivimancy to revive her deceased brother, who totally isn't called Dan at all.

Unique Mechanic: Life Tap. Xenetia can ante up to 5 life, which becomes her Draw value. Most of her cards specify something ridiculous that happens if some value of the opponent's exactly matches that Draw value. She doesn't actually lose this life unless she gets stunned out.
Strengths: If you ever wanted to play a character halfway between Hepzibah and Seth, you have weird tastes but hey, Xenetia is exactly that. Unlike Seth, whether her prediction is accurate or not is hard to guess until reveal, and unlike Hepzibah, you can't force her to waste life with a Dash. And she's got decent stats across the board, so don't worry about being constantly exact in your guesses.
Weaknesses: Guessing wrong hurts, but what hurts even more is guessing wrong and getting stunned for your trouble. Fumbles cost Xenetia more than perhaps any other character in the game. Additionally, her long-range potential is limited and dependent on getting Draw right.

Last edited by Kalir; 09-05-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: important for a dumb joke
Old 09-05-2015, 03:32 PM

so, how many fighters are professors at argent university now

i'm just saying, maaaaaaybe argent needs to do a better job with hiring employees if half of them kiiiinda want to kill each other
Old 09-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
so, how many fighters are professors at argent university now

i'm just saying, maaaaaaybe argent needs to do a better job with hiring employees if half of them kiiiinda want to kill each other
Bro they sometimes have a known criminal lord on their consortium for voting in a new chancellor.

Argent University's management has problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Well, to be fair, the chancellor is always evil.

Letting the crime lord pick him is just Argent's way of figuring out his friends.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Inherently Stealthy

To make sure I'm doing it right... Anted tokens go to the ante discard immediately after the ante phase? So Shektur could:

3 Malice -> ante 2 Malice -> hit for 4 -> 5 Malice?

Also, is it common to play with both Ante Finishers and Special Actions?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
To make sure I'm doing it right... Anted tokens go to the ante discard immediately after the ante phase? So Shektur could:

3 Malice -> ante 2 Malice -> hit for 4 -> 5 Malice
That's correct. At least one of her styles depends on it, iirc!

As for the double finishers thing... No? O:
Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
As for the double finishers thing... No? O:
So if you're using Ante-able Finishers you don't use the Special Action card at all? That seems awkward. Is Ante Finishers just a beginner variant?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM
We just don't know.

I personally have never used a special action card.

I dunno, I ever really felt like the game was missing anything by not having it... But then again, I haven't used it so who's to say?

I think it's ante finishers for just finishers, special card for finishers + the others. Typically.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Inherently Stealthy

And then in the new War set you're either using Gauge Finishers or Special Actions but not both?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Crabjörn

Force Gauge comes with a newer, different Special Action.

Ordinary Special Actions still exist, and can be used with ante finishers (in which case, performing a Finish with the Special Action card does a Cancel instead).
Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Force Gauge comes with a newer, different Special Action.

Ordinary Special Actions still exist, and can be used with ante finishers (in which case, performing a Finish with the Special Action card does a Cancel instead).
Ah! I'd missed that bit; that makes sense.

When I perform a Cancel, do I get back the base I used to trigger it? Or is it treated like a clash (I get it back after the action resolves)?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Crabjörn

Any time you use a Special Action, the triggering base goes back to your hand once it resolves. Don't cycle discards or anything.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Hm. I'll try a few more games without them, then.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Crabjörn

Most Finishers are pretty viable as Ante finishers anyway. The only exceptions that occur off the top of my head are Zero Hour (because of how "priority" during ante works) and Fortune Buster (because anteing a finisher immediately ends ante phase), but both of those characters have alternatives that work just fine anyway.

Shekhtur also experiences this problem a lot because of how few characters depend on antes. Against Aria, she just decides she doesn't ever use her finishers (unless Aria is using Synchro Merge for some reason).
Old 09-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Why does Shektur have a problem anteing her finishers? Isn't the sequence:

1) Shektur antes five Malice
2) Opponent passes
3) Shektur antes finisher. Ante phase ends.

Since you don't meet the condition of "both players pass consecutively" until she's done so?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Crabjörn

Sorry, should've phrased better. Shekhtur's problem is her Alpha finisher is useless against a ton of people because they don't declare antes, and against a lot that do it's borderline OP.

I mean, I guess technically the same is true of Coffin Nails, but you CAN use that on anybody, since anybody can pull up Stun Guard if they need it (and against Shekhtur, having Stun Guard is kind of vital).
Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 AM
We just don't know.

My friend got Fate, so we got to try out some new characters tonight!

1: I played Sarafina vs Thessala. Oh man I adore Sarafina. The mobility! It was so fun to blip around the board... Or not to. Thessala hit real hard but couldn't reach me often. Her board didn't seem very strong in that game, except a few of the crazy end ones. Also the tokens are too big for the board spots. Womp Womp.

2: I played Jaeger vs Baenveirn. That fucker. Not only does he live to troll you with your style returns, but he's also shockingly fast. Like, way too fast? I didn't have a good handle on Jaeger. Two of his special attacks got dashed out of and I whiffed a third when I used it poorly to counter B's token. I'm not entirely sure how I caught up but I ended up winning with 3 life by dashing his finisher, baiting his dash, then hitting my finisher.

3: I played Alumis vs Iri. I also reaaaallly liked Alumis. She's like a ranged Karin. The mobility and disruption were so much fun, as well as hitting from range. Iri got a little trashed by my staying at range, which messed some of her forms, and a few well timed stun ignores and movement stops. She did get her all-forms finisher off halfway through the match, which made things really interesting. It didn't help in the end though.

Tags
battlecon , six degrees of cadenza