The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Anyway, what do you guys think are the odds of Dany and Jon getting together?
Who else is there left for her to marry? It's the only powerful alliance left to be had.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Anyway, what do you guys think are the odds of Dany and Jon getting together?
Slim, I'd say. Dany seems to be into testosterone-loaded swashbucklers, and Jon is like the quintessential nice boy.

Also seconding Jaime offing Cersei. Seems real, real likely. The show's done way too much to make Jaime likeable and Cersei hateable for it to go any other way.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Slim, I'd say. Dany seems to be into testosterone-loaded swashbucklers, and Jon is like the quintessential nice boy.
Oh sure, it's a weird romantic pairing, but Tyrion neatly explained why she should ditch Daario before heading to Westeros, and all his reasoning basically perfectly lines up with a Jon pairing, even disregarding his Targaryen heritage (which, hey, maybe they'll hold that back as a surprise until after the wedding?). Mainly I just really really want to see the two of them interact, whether romantically or otherwise.

It's funny that the show's now set up both Tyrion (now on his way back to Westeros with a whole bunch of death to deliver) and Jaime in positions where either one might be the brother who kills Cersei. But my money's definitely on Jaime; the parallels of Jaime killing Aerys Cersei to let Tywin Tyrion Lannister retake the city in response to madness and a threat of wildfire seem too good to not happen.

I think this season finale did a great job of making me super excited for the next season, in a way previous season finales didn't. But that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've been a book reader since before the show premiered, and this is the first finale leading us into 100% unknown territory, whereas there was still bits of book 5 left for this season to get through.

EDIT: I know they teased it a little bit with Tyrion interacting with the dragons, no where near as much as they teased R+L=J, but I really hope that they confirm that Tyrion is actually a Targaryen too, and Tyrion, Dany, and Jon become the three dragon riding Targaryens and everything is totally awesome.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
…and everything is totally awesome.
Are we watching the same show?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
One is from the witch, what's the other?
Quote:
I would also like to know this.
The other is the Azor Ahai stuff. Everyone assumes that the BIG HERO is either gonna be Jon or Dany, but neither of them really fit the metaphor of the prophecy like Jaime does.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 PM

(Spoilers for S6E10)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

This will forever send chills up the spine.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 AM
We just don't know.

One thing that seemed especially perfunctory to me was Tommen's death, specifically his rather sudden suicide. Even taking the best-faith reading, where he realizes his mother had just spectacularly murdered his wife, his spiritual advisor and hundreds of his people/citizens, it just... I really don't think they earned that. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
This will forever send chills up the spine.

HNGH this is so good
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Are we watching the same show?
After the latest episode? Hell yeah
Old 06-28-2016, 05:20 AM

Do you think Cersei expected Tommen to kill himself? What do you think her original game was
Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM
It's all good, man

She prevented him from going to the sept to save him. She was going to go to him and use her motherly charms to convince him that he was better off without all those people and she would guide him to being the king she knew he could be. Everything she has done has been for her children, and the irony of her greatest act toward that end resulting in her final child taking his own life is palpable.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Oily Butt Thing

This ties into something I was thinking about this week's gross torturous heel heat segment...

The first time through I was annoyed by the scene with Cersei and the septa. Like, we just watched her nuke a building largely full of innocent people, we get that she's gone completely round the twist. Do we really need to see her crazy this up close and personal?

Second time, though, I think I figured it out. The scene isn't about itself. It's about the scenes before it and after it -- Tommen's initial reaction and his final reaction. After Cersei watches the sept blow up, her first thought isn't, "Now I need to go to my son and help him deal with this." It's, "Never mind him, it's time for even more bloody revenge."

Season three or so Tyrion has the line that defines Cersei: "You love your children. It's your one redeeming quality." We know she's irredeemable because her first thought isn't for her children anymore.

Last edited by The Raider Dr. Jones; 06-28-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I wonder how many show-only people remember who Rhaegar is. I imagine a lot of people picked up that Lyanna is Jon's mother, that was pretty clearly established, but I feel like a lot of people are going to be confused about his father. Nothing a quick episode opener can't fix when Jon's Targaryen blood becomes relevant, I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
Fwiw, the scene where Littlefinger talks about Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna was in the previews, so there's enough in the show that people should be able to catch it (assuming they remember the previews because I never do)
I was initially really confused about how they chose to handle this, and the only explanation that makes sense to me is that they don't expect or want show-only people to figure out the second part of this yet. I mean, that obscured sentence, which I think Bran heard, was either "He's Rhaegar's son" or "He's a Targarean", but they explicitly made that inaudible so that they can make a big show of revealing it later. I think that all that viewers are expected to gleam is that there is some reason that it was important to keep Jon's parentage secret, and figuring out the rest prematurely is left as a bonus for those paying careful attention, much like the books do time and again.

Quote:
Why did Qyburn kill Pycelle instead of inviting him to the Sept with everyone else
Perhaps he promised it to the kids? It did seem strange how quickly he earned their loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
I wonder how Sam's going to care for Gilly in the Citadel.
I suspect that they might just hand-wave this. As people have pointed out, they played even faster and looser with the passage of time than usual in this episode, so I expect next season may well open with Sam having been there and studying for months/years and being well-read. Either way, given how the season ended with no pressing matters to be resolved, I think it's ripe to have a between-season time-skip to get all of the pieces in place, and that closing shot of the fleet was just a bit of a cheat/preview of that.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Oily Butt Thing

In re: Qyburn and Pycelle, it makes sense to me as maybe 20 percent Qyburn getting a little professional payback and 80 percent Cersei settling all the family business. Recall that Pycelle helped freeze her out of the council, and that even as a wholly owned subsidiary of House Lannister he would probably make some waves in the aftermath of wildfiring the sept.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I was initially really confused about how they chose to handle this, and the only explanation that makes sense to me is that they don't expect or want show-only people to figure out the second part of this yet. I mean, that obscured sentence, which I think Bran heard, was either "He's Rhaegar's son" or "He's a Targarean", but they explicitly made that inaudible so that they can make a big show of revealing it later. I think that all that viewers are expected to gleam is that there is some reason that it was important to keep Jon's parentage secret, and figuring out the rest prematurely is left as a bonus for those paying careful attention, much like the books do time and again.
Nah, they did that because Ned's dream in Book 1 only includes the "promise me, Ned" bit, and they probably didn't want to reveal anything beyond the books. At this point in the series, it's pretty clear for viewers that Rhaegar and Lyanna had sexy times (even if the circumstances are unclear) and the transition between baby Jon and the King in the North scene seals the deal.

Re: Sam

I don't think they'll pull any time shift shenanigans (aside from Bran). It would confuse many viewers.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
they probably didn't want to reveal anything beyond the books.
They put the old scenes about Rhaegar and Lyanna in the previously on reel before episode 10, and they released this infographic in the making of that just flat out says it. So, I'm pretty sure they don't care whether or not they reveal beyond the books.

I think they assumed it was an obvious inference to anyone following along closely, even without saying it directly. To anyone not following along closely, they had no problem saying it outright in official sources.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 AM
It's all good, man

It kinda makes you wonder why the audio dropped out if they weren't keeping it a secret.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM

This site speculates that Lyanna didn't actually name him "Jon" based on a lip reading, which if true might have been confusing for those (few) who weren't expecting the reveal.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It kinda makes you wonder why the audio dropped out if they weren't keeping it a secret.
It was cooler than just saying it.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Yeah, if the do the all-the-way reveal now, it steals some thunder from when Jon eventually finds out.

Which, incidentally, I wonder: does Bran tell him (most likely), does Howland Reed show up (outside chance), or is it some other character who we don't know for sure knows (Varys maybe).
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Yeah, if the do the all-the-way reveal now, it steals some thunder from when Jon eventually finds out.

Which, incidentally, I wonder: does Bran tell him (most likely), does Howland Reed show up (outside chance), or is it some other character who we don't know for sure knows (Varys maybe).
I don't think my heart could take what the producers would do to Howland. The rawest Crannogman in the Seven Kingdoms deserves better
Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM
We just don't know.

The show is clearly going to have Bran tell him, or they wouldn't have had him go back to see. The books will do something else entirely since the seeing powers seem limited to heart trees there.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I don't think my heart could take what the producers would do to Howland. The rawest Crannogman in the Seven Kingdoms deserves better
when all seems lost a little dude will just roll up and shank evil in the neck with a frog spear.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
They put the old scenes about Rhaegar and Lyanna in the previously on reel before episode 10, and they released this infographic in the making of that just flat out says it. So, I'm pretty sure they don't care whether or not they reveal beyond the books.
I meant in terms of dialogue. The scene itself spells out what the books have only hinted, of course they're revealing plot beyond the books. For crying out loud.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:11 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I meant in terms of dialogue.
I'm just saying that this emphasis on whether it was said in dialogue is not a meaningful distinction that would indicate deference to the books. They already revealed the mother and the father to anyone paying attention, dialogue or not. TV is a visual medium, so how a scene is edited and how it stands in relation to other scenes is just as much a form of communication as dialogue.

And for people who haven't watched every episode, they made an infographic and a highlight real.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

That was my point. That they made pretty clear who that person is, and the scene's lack of verbal exposition is irrelevant to its significance to viewers. I theorized they stopped short of revealing more than (or outright contradicting) the books, because they probably don't know how GRRM's version of that scene is going to play out… but Jesus. You're explaining my original post back to me.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drav View Post
This site speculates that Lyanna didn't actually name him "Jon"
Ned: Hello, Catelyn. I am back from war. I have a bastard son, sown from my own loins, a child that is definitely mine and also his name is Rhaegar Junior.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:27 PM
It's all good, man

Ned should have just told her the truth, it would have made things better for the whole family.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Ned should have just told her the truth, it would have made things better for the whole family.
The Targaryens killed the man Cat loved, indirectly forced her marriage to someone she barely knew, and started a war that devastated her homeland. Even money she'd have pitched Jon out the first window she came to, had she known. Tullys can bear a grudge.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
It's all good, man

She wanted to do that anyway.

Tags
boob of boobs , da king inna norf , hbo , hodor , meanwhile in dorne , ours is the fury , stupid sexy jorah , television , the north remembers , tits and dragons , wincest , you know nothing