The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM
There he is!

I'm in the same boat as Estragon and the cast members in that I barely play video games any more, and I still listen to the podcast for the random digressions than for anything to actually do with games, so the new show sounds like a good fit for me.

In terms of the show losing readers, when I emailed Chris to express my support, he said that they are expecting they may have to some kind of fund-raiser, since starting a new feed will mean their listener count for ad sales purposes drops quite a bit.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
Also does anybody else get the feeling that Jake has a crush on Chris, but Chris has a crush on Nick but Nick has a crush on spreadsheets?
The fact that Jake continues to pronounce Chris' last name correctly when even Chris himself has given up on it is a central point in my Chris/Jake fanfiction
Old 02-07-2017, 04:23 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
In terms of the show losing readers, when I emailed Chris to express my support, he said that they are expecting they may have to some kind of fund-raiser, since starting a new feed will mean their listener count for ad sales purposes drops quite a bit.
Yeah, that's been my biggest concern for the guys. I suspect their follow rate isn't going to be particularly great, but I'm glad they're not letting money be a reason to just keep trudging along when they're not loving it.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM
There he is!

New podcast teaser is up, and the title is based on one of my favourite Thumbs digressions that I think was limited to the Progresscasts: Important If True.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM
the :motion: stands

The second worst thing to base a podcast around is a handful of dudes sitting around bullshitting on whatever. The worst thing to base a podcast around is a handful of dudes sitting around riffing on general (read:geeky) pop culture. We'll see how it goes.

They've given the caveat that they're not exactly sure what the podcast will end up being, and I realize that any 5 minute clip taken from a Thumbs episode would have a great chance to be just as disjointed and formless. I may pick it up when you guys start talking about how well they've made it to the new format.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 AM
It's all good, man

I thought the clip was pretty funny.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The second worst thing to base a podcast around is a handful of dudes sitting around bullshitting on whatever. The worst thing to base a podcast around is a handful of dudes sitting around riffing on general (read:geeky) pop culture. We'll see how it goes.
You might say the same thing about a show where a comedian walks out, tells some jokes stand-up style then interviews celebrities, except that's the conceit of some of the most popular television shows of all time. Shows live and die based on personalities, charm and the ability of their hosts to create and innovate within a defined space.

Just because iTunes is clogged with unfunny shmucks doing nerd round tables doesn't ruin the format for the entertaining shmucks of the world. I think the Thumbs can succeed here.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:46 AM
contains words & diagrams

I like the Thumbs because they're smart, funny, get along well, and aren't shitheads. The video games part are what got me into them but it's not why I've stuck around, so I'm not worried about this new format. Though I will miss their video game insights, their perspective on things has taught me a ton about various things.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Yeah. The thing with the preview clip was that it wasn't a radical change. It was pretty much what the show already is now. Less forced video game talk when Jake/Chris aren't really into it is purely a plus for me.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 AM
It's all good, man

I'm sure they'll still discuss games when it makes sense. They're just not going to force themselves to do it.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:57 AM
and ermine, too

The preview clip is the natural extension of Robot News. I'm not anticipating much discontinuity other than a change in the podcast feed, here.

For reference, this is from the description of Idle Thumbs episode 299:

Quote:
Discussed: The Idle Thumbs Podcast, Mouth Moods/Mouth Sounds, the evolution of dinosaurs and birds, Jurassic Park III, Jurassic World, cyborg moth cars, Bubble Tape, XOR, hobbies, cooking, cocktails, Dark Souls 2
I thought it was a pretty good episode.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

Their Patreon recently went live, if anyone else would like to pledge some well-deserved support!

Idle Thumbs Patreon
Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 AM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The second worst thing to base a podcast around is a handful of dudes sitting around bullshitting on whatever.
Yeah, but here's the parts of Idle Thumbs that have always been the best (at least since episode 51): Jeff Goldblum, outer space, Robot News, Jurassic Park. None of these have anything to do with video games. Actually I take that back: The Hat Baron/CS GO stuff was insane and great.

Honestly if they just had a 30-40 minute Robot News podcast every two weeks I'd listen to it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM
It's all good, man

I wonder how long it took to create an hour+ long montage of the entire history of the cast
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM
There he is!

Episode 2 of the Nick Breckon Podcast finally came out!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
For the record, I've never found Danielle to be a good podcast host and I'm really bummed that she's on Waypoint Radio most of the time. She isn't on the latest show and I am absolutely enjoying it more for her absence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline in the general podcast thread View Post
I like Danielle and I appreciate her enthusiasm for everything but I don't think she has anything interesting to say about games????
I think she's been more interesting on Waypoint when Austin Walker is there to moderate. I also like Danielle but in retrospect one problem on Idle Thumbs was that her appearances were kind of foreshadowing none of the old thumbs caring about video games anymore. So, when Danielle was there, Jake and Chris would kind of be like "thank god, someone else is here to talk about games so we don't have to." But then they would just kind of have Danielle run down a list of things she was playing while feigning attention, so the conversation would be really one sided and she was kind of floating around without a lot of support. And then on Idle Weekend I don't think they ever got their chemistry to work at all, despite both of them being interesting individually.

Austin Walker is bringing his PhD candidate discussion facilitation game to Waypoint's podcast though, which helps bring out the interesting stuff Danielle has to say. Also, now Rob Zacny got a job with Waypoint as well, which kind of renders Idle Weekend moot? If I can get Danielle and Rob facilitated by Austin, there's not no reason to listen to them kind of flounder keeping a conversation going with just the two of them. I wonder if they'll keep it up...

(This was a smart hiring decision on Austin's part, I think. I think with Parish gone from USGamer, Waypoint currently has the most interesting and well rounded staffing setup of any current gaming journalism venture...)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah, when she isn't carrying the full weight of a game conversation it works out better.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:20 PM
There he is!

Jake laughing at Chris' shoehorn had me in stitches.

Tags
baboo , calorie mate reads this , far cry 2 , fuck nick , idle thumbs , podcasts , puffins , that's the stuff , the wizard , video gaaaaaaames , wizards