The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
You guys ever had CherryWine? Someone at the college I attended let me have a swig. Apparently it comes from the South. I don't eat cherries (can't stand squishy, juicy spheres in my mouth; it makes me think of eyeballs) but I imagine this is a lot like how a cherry would taste. I've never had anything like it in a soda and it would probably be a great once-in-a-while drink, like Squirt.
Do you mean Cheerwine? If so, I have had it and I did like it. It's the closest alternative to Dr. Pepper I've ever tasted.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
23 ski-dook

Does horchata count as a soft drink?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Time for mandatory yoga

Heck yeah it does. Mmmm, horchata. Though you're kind of a jerk for making me realize how long it's been since I had any, jerk >=|
Old 01-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Do you mean Cheerwine? If so, I have had it and I did like it. It's the closest alternative to Dr. Pepper I've ever tasted.
Yeah, that's the one! Sorry about that. It was pretty tasty, but I'm not sure I'd compare it directly to Dr. Pepper. The cherry flavor is a bit more pronounced.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 AM
King Of Space-Time

The ultimate cola no longer exists.

Cold brewed with filtered water and cane sugar. No artifical ingrediants. A king among colas.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Cold brewed with filtered water and cane sugar. No artifical ingrediants. A king among colas.
"We can't even pay our bills, and they're drinking Royal Crown Cola!"
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Super Nerd

Man, it's all about Jarritos: "A basket of fruit in every bottle!"

The Mexicans in my neighborhood are all about the Squirt. I see folks carrying cases of it around on a daily basis. It's good stuff.

I've had Moxie before, in Maine I believe. The weird thing about Moxie, aside from the taste, is it was made in a southern state and shipped up north. Kind of like Malört.

Soft drinks are another thing I cannot resist trying something new. Every single time I find some weird regional thing, or someone comes out with some crazy new flavor I must try it.

If you're mixing with alcohol, Izze and Dry sodas are your best bets. I had some of the Dry Rhubarb and it went surprisingly great with rum.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
Soft drinks are another thing I cannot resist trying something new. Every single time I find some weird regional thing, or someone comes out with some crazy new flavor I must try it.
I had some Pomegranate 7-Up over the holidays, and it was... well, I finished the bottle, but that was enough, I think. The problem with 7-Up and Sprite, and other varieties of lemon-lime is they're too sweet, without enough tartness for me. You know what got it right? Slice.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber Baron View Post
Here's the thing with Dr. Pepper's recent "23 Flavors" marketing scheme: am I supposed to believe that I really need that 24th flavor in there, or even that cherry isn't already one of those 23 flavors?

As I suspected. Twenty-four flavors!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Me Gorgar!

Guys! Guys! Guys! There's a 'throwback' Dr Pepper out now made with sugar instead of HFCS. It is wonderful!

http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/...er-with-sugar/
Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 AM
King Of Space-Time

Now if only Coke would get a clue.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Now if only Coke would get a clue.
Man, Mexican Coke has been doing that all along. It's not hard to come by. Get yourself to a Mexican grocery store.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Curious Young Gent

You know when you've been Tango'd because it is more delicious than most
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Red Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Man, Mexican Coke has been doing that all along. It's not hard to come by. Get yourself to a Mexican grocery store.
I buy this stuff in bulk at the local Cosco. Can also pick it up at the local corner store. Hell I'm drinking one right now.

I drink way too much normal Coke at work, since it's free. I still drink far too much soda, though.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Ailes Shake Your ButtButt

Cheerwine: This is a native NC drink, although it's more of a Piedmont thing than an eastern one. It's pretty good.

Sunkist: The best chaser for moonshine.

Sun Drop: Revel in the whitetrashness.

Jarritos: Mandarina is my go-to, but I like to try some of the weird flavors when I come across them.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Time for mandatory yoga

Default I don't know about the flavor of this tamarind Jarritos but it soothes my sore throat

I got some of that Dry soda yesterday, and I'm trying out the lemongrass right now. I know it's supposed to be delicately flavored, but it honestly tastes like straight tonic water to me. Maybe with a slight aftertaste of envelope glue.

I'll report on the other flavors I got later.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Life is a Blender

I have this weird liking for black cherry cola.

Too bad its really hard to find in Ontario!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I got some of that Dry soda yesterday, and I'm trying out the lemongrass right now. I know it's supposed to be delicately flavored, but it honestly tastes like straight tonic water to me. Maybe with a slight aftertaste of envelope glue.

I'll report on the other flavors I got later.
Ack, I should have warned you. I think Lemongrass and kumquat suck.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Time for mandatory yoga

And kumquat's the one I was looking forward to
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
King Of Space-Time

I miss Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. Canada Dry now makes it under their label but it seems to be missing a certain something.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi

Wow guys. The Moxie energy drink is nightmarish.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
We just don't know.

My favorites are real-suger real-ingredients small-batch ginger ale and root beer. Including Sarsaparilla etc. and Ginger Beer.

Here in Japan I'm rather partial to C.C. Lemon, and it's not only available here but I only ever bothered to drink it here but I am currently gone crazy over grape fanta.

However, I don't drink soft drinks commonly anyway - I had waaaaay too much in High School, and in college it got horrible what with an unlimited fountain in the dining hall. One day I realized I was drinking the equivalent of like 3 cans of soda per meal on average. So I quit outright, cold turkey. Successfully, too! I still have soft drinks now and then but try to avoid them unless I get cravings. Real sugar in the Japanese ones instead of HFSC helps (or doesn't help depending on your point of view).

EDIT: it comes out of a fountain so I count it. Horchata and Orange Bang were my lifeblood in LA.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
certified comics master

I really loved mandarin Jarritos when I was in college. I would usually get a bottle of the stuff when I got a huge pile of delicious $10 nachos at a place called Freebirds. Fresh and custom made every time!

But this isn't a thread about me making myself sad about food I can't have, it's about soft drinks. I try not to drink too much soda, but I've been pretty happy with the different selection of drinks available here in Japan. Like Paul mentioned, C.C. Lemon is pretty good, and apparently has a lot of vitamin C. I like Mitsuya Cider, which is like ramune except cheaper because it doesn't come in a gimmicky bottle. There's another brand called Lucky Cider which is pretty much the same thing, but a bit sweeter. I think I like that brand more but I don't see it around as much. Melon-flavored soda is always a good choice when I'm at a place that offers a drink bar (I always think it looks like I'm drinking ectoplasm or something radioactive though). And two weeks ago, I had Apple Fanta. Also great!

Deserving of its own paragraph is Calpis. I don't like it when it's carbonated, but I think its regular form still counts as a soft drink. In theory Calpis sounds gross (a yogurt-flavored soft drink? ew!) but I seriously adore the stuff. I only had a little of it before moving to Japan, but now that I'm here it's hard not to guzzle whatever I come across. ...okay, I'm not THAT bad. But I do love Calpis and it's even great in popsicle form! Can't say I care much for fruit-flavored Calpis though.

The one thing that sucks is how you pretty much have to go to an import store to find root beer.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Spelunker Die

Red Bull Cola is so good, and tastes nothing like Red Bull. No HFCS, no artificial ingredients, though it's a bit expensive so I don't drink it so often. When I was in Munich I remember ordering some kind of super spicy (as in spices, not heat) cola in a restaurant, and that's what Red Bull Cola reminds me of.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
the artist formally known

There's been Apple Fanta in metro Atlanta for years now but I haven't ever tried it. It was pretty popular when I worked at Publix, though. Maybe it's a regional thing?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Orangina yet. It's the best soda that you can't get in North America.

I had Orangina when I went to Europe and when I came home seriously debated ordering a 12-pack of the stuff online for something like $30.

The drink itself is an orange-flavored soda (obviously) that hails from France. It's light and crisp, whereas drinks like Sunkist or Crush seem much heavier and syrupy. It's a great drink even if it comes in a weird bottle.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Orangina yet. It's the best soda that you can't get in North America.
Orangina is awesome, but you definitely can get it in North America. I've seen it in a number of different cities.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
There he is!

I miss Stewart's Cherries and Cream Soda flavour so much. I can easily find their black cherry, or the Orange and Cream, or the key lime soda, but Cherries and Cream Soda seems to have disappeared forever.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Time for mandatory yoga

Yeah, I've gotten Orangina from Trader Joe's a few times. I usually prefer the sparkling lemonade from down the aisle (used to be Geyer Brothers, but they changed the brand name, I think) though.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Nonplussed

In the vein of Orangina is also this stuff (which I also love):

Tags
beverages