The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Celery soda isn't even that easy to find inside NYC. It's a shame.
I was not aware celery soda existed and now I desperately want it.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I was not aware celery soda existed and now I desperately want it.
Let Alton show you how!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Aside from the corn syrup/sugar, how so? I drink diet all the time and I don't have any health issues. I'm "built like a brick", as it were.
They destroy your bones, and all that acid is murder on your teeth. For women in particular, soda is a major contributor to osteoporosis
Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Green Tea Canada Dry ginger ale
This stuff is great!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
the artist formally known

Default And what kinda coke would y'all like today?

Vernor's is excellent, but as everyone's said, it used to be better. I really like Squirt, which is like a sharper tasting Sprite. It used to be something we only got when visiting the grandparents in Buffalo, but it appeared in the southeast years ago now.

I have acquired a fondness for UK-style lemonade. It's clear and carbonated and tastes exactly like lemonade in the US. "Cloudy" lemonade is usually mixed with lime here, and just doesn't taste right. Ginger beer is everywhere over here, and most pubs carry one or two kinds of alcoholic ginger beer! It is my thing. Icy Lemon Fanta is also a thing here, and it is delicious.

And you can't talk about soda in Scotland without mentioning Irn-Bru, Scotland's other national drink.

It has the ubiquity that Coke has in most of the US (and has quinine in it, so supposedly it's excellent for hangovers). The flavor is really unique and no one can quite agree. It definitely has hints of bubblegum and cream soda. I think it tastes exactly like Big Red.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM

I usually just drink Coke, because I'm boring (HFCS Coke is foul, though). I don't know if we have any special local soft drinks. Maybe Solo - but then, the concept of a lemon soft drink is not exactly new, is it.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Love and Peace

I used to be obsessed with Green Apple Jones Soda, but it's kind of expensive here, and neither of the convenience stores by my home carry it.

Lately, I've been annoyed because I like Coca-Cola, but my sister's boyfriend only likes Pepsi, so she insists that everyone must stock the place with Pepsi, and not Coke, when he comes to visit. IT IS MY BODY MY CHOICE I WILL DRINK WHAT I WANT.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

So, I watched that Alton Brown video on celery and was then inspired to go grab a stalk (which I only bought to use in chicken stock), put some peanut butter on it, and eat it. I've hated celery since I was a little kid... but I apparently don't hate it anymore. Celery was one of the last foods on my list of foods I don't like, so this is good! Still on the list: iceberg lettuce, raw green bell peppers, blood.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
So, I watched that Alton Brown video on celery and was then inspired to go grab a stalk (which I only bought to use in chicken stock), put some peanut butter on it, and eat it.
Extra fun: put a couple raisins on the top as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Oh, I know all about it. I've lived a life of wanting to eat ants on a log, because it looks so fun, and then being repelled when I remember that damn celery part. But no more!

Also, I'm making that celery syrup as soon as I can get to a store that has celery seeds. I wonder if cheesecloth is fine enough to strain the seeds out.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Hrist View Post
They destroy your bones, and all that acid is murder on your teeth. For women in particular, soda is a major contributor to osteoporosis
Not only that, but most soft drinks contain sodium benzoate, which reacts with absorbic acid (vitamin C) to form benzene, a carcinogen.

Also: sugar. I quit soft drinks so I could eat more jelly beans and Sour Patch Kids. A fine trade-off if I do say so.

Nevertheless--Sun Drop is the best, followed by Dr. Pepper.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM

We have a restaurant in town where you can watch them bottle their house soda while you eat! It's called Fitz's. Unfortunately, I don't like root beer and that's their specialty. And every time I go to eat there I can't have soda because the only soda they have on tap is stuff I dislike such as root beer and orange. If they would only throw me a bone with a simple cola or something!

The king of sodas for me is Dr. Pepper! I hear there is a Throwback style version out. I'd really like to try that, but I'm not sure its distributed to my area.

I read the other day that several decades ago people liked to heat up Dr. Pepper like it was a hot cider and drink it at the holidays. I'm not sure if that would be good or if it would just be a waste of good soda.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
yum

I was disappointed to find out that Moxie is still in business(or was bought out and revamped by some larger company, I suppose). I'd like to be able to say "You got moxie, kid!" without promoting a brand unintentionally.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Current fave is Diet Coke with Lime. Although I bought Pepsi Lime today just to get a comparison.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Hrist View Post
Not every soda has phosphoric acid, which is the cause of most of the health problems you're talking about. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of them don't. It's mainly colas and Dr. Pepper. When in doubt, check the ingredients!

Anyway, the answer is Henry Weinhard's Root Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
leninade.jpg
Holy crap I must have this.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
テレビに火をつけて 思い出した

I only really like Ginger Ale, which sadly I havent been able to find in Korea outside of some cafes. I drank it like crazy in Japan just because i could.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death. There was even an orange-flavored cola!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Shares?

I like Coke, Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Dr. Pepper, Strawberry (Welch's), Grape (Crush), Orange Drank (any company will do) and my personal favorite is Peach (Nehi).
Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I was disappointed to find out that Moxie is still in business(or was bought out and revamped by some larger company, I suppose). I'd like to be able to say "You got moxie, kid!" without promoting a brand unintentionally.
Oh, c'mon. It's like super small time. subsidiary of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England Inc
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
I love that specific Guarana. Whenever I go to a Brazilian place, I specifically ask if they have Antarctica. If not, I don't get it. The usual alternate (whose name escapes me, but is in a yellow can) is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death.
I have been there. If the aperitif is the one I'm thinking of (Fanta Bitter Aperitif from Italy), then it is the foulest drink I've ever tasted and everybody I tricked into trying it agreed.

When I drank soda, I subsisted on Dr. Pepper. When traveling in Europe, I get Fanta Orange. It's so delightfully tart.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

The Cuban sandwich place I sometimes go to on my lunch break has Guaraná Antarctica – among other rarities like Champ's Cola, Inca Kola, and Materva.

Know what's totally awesome? San Pellegrino Chinotto. It's impossible to find around here, but I found it in a vending machine once in Toronto. I couldn't believe it.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
heh

Dr Pepper used to be my absolutely favorite soft drink, but I think Cherry Dr Pepper may have dethroned it.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
I have been there. If the aperitif is the one I'm thinking of (Fanta Bitter Aperitif from Italy), then it is the foulest drink I've ever tasted and everybody I tricked into trying it agreed.
Well, it was called Beverly when I visited, but everything else you said was accurate. There was a mother with two young children at the World Refreshment Station, and after the four year old had a taste of the aperitif, he first made a face, then forced his two year old brother to drink it. I LOLed.

I think aperitif is supposed to be a palate cleanser for wine tasting, but it seemed more like a palate destroyer to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Super Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
Dr Pepper used to be my absolutely favorite soft drink, but I think Cherry Dr Pepper may have dethroned it.
Here's the thing with Dr. Pepper's recent "23 Flavors" marketing scheme: am I supposed to believe that I really need that 24th flavor in there, or even that cherry isn't already one of those 23 flavors?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber Baron View Post
Here's the thing with Dr. Pepper's recent "23 Flavors" marketing scheme: am I supposed to believe that I really need that 24th flavor in there, or even that cherry isn't already one of those 23 flavors?
I'm not aware of any campaign, since the only Dr Pepper I can get my hands on is imported, but I don't care how they justify it, all I know is that the cherry stuff is fantastic and tastes different from regular Dr Pepper.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber Baron View Post
Uh, no. It's pepper. Can't you taste it? Fresh ground, right outta the mill.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death. There was even an orange-flavored cola!
They were out of this horrid concoction when I visited. We were all kind of disappointed because we wanted to try it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
actually an eevee

There are two places in Arkansas to obtain Blue Sky Soda. It's really interesting, although maybe not teh best evarrr
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

You guys ever had CherryWine? Someone at the college I attended let me have a swig. Apparently it comes from the South. I don't eat cherries (can't stand squishy, juicy spheres in my mouth; it makes me think of eyeballs) but I imagine this is a lot like how a cherry would taste. I've never had anything like it in a soda and it would probably be a great once-in-a-while drink, like Squirt.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Erudite Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
Know what's totally awesome? San Pellegrino Chinotto. It's impossible to find around here, but I found it in a vending machine once in Toronto. I couldn't believe it.
Have you looked in the "ethnic" foods section of your local supermarket? I know my old Acme sold it by the sixpack.

The best soda I ever had was a local cream from Mystic Seaport. The brand itself escapes me, and "that one with a sailing ship on the label" isn't the best descriptor.

Tags
beverages