The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Oily Butt Thing

yessssssssssssss

WRESTLE MAX WAR GAME is like the loopiest gimmick ring setup since the WCW Thundercage.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 AM

Another season is ending, so it's time to begin to look over how things went:

March Comes in like a Lion - This show 'ended' for now. And unsurprisingly, a second season was immediately announced to continue in the Fall. Overall I liked this show, but at times its nature as a Studio SHAFT Thing was a detriment to my enjoyment.

Almost every moment Rei Kiriyama spent with the Kawamoto family was delightful. Unfortunately, that ended up amounting to maybe a third of the show. Every moment the show dwelt on the minutiae of Shogi playing put me to sleep. A lot of the show's melodramatics were effective, but lent the show an extremely oppressive tone. Something that wouldn't have been as bad if it was balanced better with the lighter moments, but the pacing of the show was excruciatingly slow.

Scenes tend to drag, and I can't help but feel SHAFT is doing a typical SHAFT thing of stretching material thin in order to milk it. Had the show gone at about 3 chapters/episode (instead of 2), that probably would have alleviated a lot of my problems here. It's also painfully obvious at times that SHAFT is doing a typical SHAFT thing by stretching their production capacity. Halfway through, episodes started seeing delays, and the quality of animations and illustrations took a big hit. This might be a 'wait for the home video' kind of shows so they can get their act together and clean a lot of stuff up.

Overall, it was nice. I'll continue to watch when it comes back. I enjoyed the dramatics, the entire cast was fascinating, and the insights into the world of professional shogi was intriguing. But this show has a number of flaws that kept me from enjoying it to the fullest, and was a little disappointing since there's a lot to like here, it's just not executed as well as it could be.

Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas - This sure was a thing. Its roots as a mobage RPG are painfully obvious, and condensing its story and cast into a 12 episode/3 movie thing was a detriment to the story it was trying to tell. The story here, is a very generic, very typical friends & hope beat back despair and evil from destroying the world kind of thing. The major plot beats are puerile and predictable. I imagine a lot of the appeal of the game's story is exploring its deep and varied cast and its interactions with each other versus the major plot beats, kinda like you would with a Fire Emblem game. But since you've got a very limited run-time here, most of that is lost. So what you're left with is a very generic story, and a huge cast of characters that don't get sufficiently explored beyond one or two central characters, and a lot of pretty battle scenes that are well choreographed and shiny. The whole thing then feels more like a fan-service show for people who already played and loved the game than anything else. So for most folks here it probably isn't worth watching. I thought it was OK popcorn stuff. I liked the fights, and I enjoyed the Arc the Lad-ish scenario. You could do worse to get your fantasy-fix, but you could do a whole lot better. If you do try it out however, I suggest going for the film-version over the TV-version. They're exactly the same, just there's no OP/ED/recaps every episode so it cuts down on the amount of time you're spending on the show (however it's paced to work as a TV show just as well).
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Blue Comet

On the subject of Tiger Mask, I gotta say the Italian OP song for the old original anime is...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4KjxU6J_m0
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Remembers Love

There's an incredible folk history to be written regarding early anime imports that needs to get compiled before everyone involved dies of cocaine-related health complications. Obviously Mexico's fascination with Go Nagai, and Haim Saban and Shuki Levi get their own chapters, but what I really want to see is an atlas of what country got what giant robot anime.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Shachi is a handsome boy with FABULOUS HAIR and I immediately love him

If nothing else, I like how many different ways Fist of the North Star has established you can punch a guy once and have him get eviscerated. Kenshiro/Raoh punch people and they explode. Shachi punches people and they shrink and implode. Ryuuga freezes people, who then explode. Shuren burns people, who then explode. Hyui cuts people into vertical strips. Rei cuts people into horizontal strips. Jagi shoots people with a shotgun, just after punching them. Shu kicks people into diagonal strips. Falco and the other four Source Star users punch lasers at people that blow them up, and they all have different colored/shaped lasers. I don't even remember what Shin does.

I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT SHIN DID

No I won't shut up about this show until you all watch it. All y'all are like "ahhh Devilman" and "I like this slice of life show about, like, a boy" and FUCK THAT NOISE, WATCH THE SAD MANLY PUNCH BOYS SHOW. This is your duty.
You forgot about Toki, who exploded people into rainbows/very shimmery water. Also he was so sad and manly because he had cancer. He had cancer because he literally stood in front of fallout from the nuclear explosion to save the underground bunker from radiation.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM
poisonous thread snake

Word on the street is that Devilman Crybaby is a full adaptation of the original manga with the original ending. Oh my.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Word on the street is that Devilman Crybaby is a full adaptation of the original manga with the original ending. Oh my.
If Devilman does a fourth wall-breaking soliloquy to the viewer about how they aren't watching a normal anime anymore, I'll know there is still good in this world.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
On the subject of Tiger Mask, I gotta say the Italian OP song for the old original anime is...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4KjxU6J_m0
there's some 70s easy-listening hit this is reminding me of and it's gonna annoy me all day.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Finished the Tanaka-kun is Always Listless rewatch.

The only thing wrong with that show is that the relationships are all over the place. Miyano and Echizen are unambiguously dating in some episodes but Echizen is still hung up on both Tanaka and Ohta, often in the same scenes. Every girl except Miyano wants to jump Tanaka's bone despite him being an unreliable jackass, including his own sister. The series repeatedly asserts that Tanaka and Ohta are perfect for each other but never has the guts to go through with it. The last episode being one big farce about romantic entanglements is perfect. Also it's weird that Saya is the only person on the show to notice how incredibly pretty Tanaka is.

I appreciate that the show doesn't go out of its way to paint Tanaka as being good or bad. He's kind, but he's a terrible role model. He is a beautiful garbage boy.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 PM

I still enjoy Tanya the Evil but I feel like they are no longer capitalizing on how the protagonist is a little girl or that she was a (Episode 2 spoiler) modern business man as they did in earlier episodes.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Finished the Tanaka-kun is Always Listless rewatch.
Yeah... Tanaka-kun's gender dynamics leave a lot to be desired. There's probably good yuri stuff out there that has a complicated and nuanced understanding of homosexual relationships/people. But in my experience with the stuff, most of what I've seen is made by straight people, with a straight demographic in mind. And the homosexuality is less about sexuality of same-gendered individuals being attracted to each other, and more a kind of super-friendship. There's probably a graduate thesis to be written about this, but I'd be willing to bet a large part of it is attributable to a repressed society not being able to adequately express their desires for more normalized platonic intimacy where such things are traditionally frowned upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I still enjoy Tanya the Evil but I feel like they are no longer capitalizing on how the protagonist is a little girl or that she was a (Episode 2 spoiler) modern business man as they did in earlier episodes.
I've actually lost a lot of enthusiasm for this show over the course of its run. I don't necessarily need likeable characters to root for in a show, but it certainly helps my enjoyment of things in most cases. And in Tanya, I'm just left in a kind of hollow place where it's like, I Tanya herself is a terrible human bean and I really don't care what happens to them. To make up for that, the moment to moment machinations of the plot have to be interesting, but you can only send an evil little girl out to murder people so many times before that loses its fresh appeal and becomes stagnant. A lot of the show's appeal to me also rests in its historical setting, and adding V1 rockets to a 1920s setting is kinda
Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Kenshiro challenged Han and he was like "okay, let me take you to this conveinently placed boss arena I have in the adjacent room".

I...I love this...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Not a Beer

Just catching up on last week's shows after being out of town, and Rakugo continues to be one of the best things ever, like Wist and JBear already said. So damn good.

And yeah, Tanya has really just kinda been a large-scale war story about how everything is terrible lately. It's not bad, and there's enough wacky stuff going on that it doesn't just get drearily depressing like a realistic war story with no likable characters probably would, but I'm not sure it can really decide what it's focus or thesis is.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I'm loving the sudden and immediate retcons for no reason. God damn it, this is too pure and beautiful.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Little Waves

We watched the last episode of Mazinkaiser last night. They apparently got Obari for key animation on that one, which explains the appearance by the Obari Sword Pose. Also, like every other shot featured some ponderous zoom in and/or out. Nothing wanted to stay the same distance from the camera for any length of time. I enjoyed.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM
The Great

Sounds like it's time for somebody to watch True Mazinger Impact! Z Chapter.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Directed by: Yasuhiro Imagawa
Sold!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The only sadness is that there isn't a Great or Kaiser chapter yet.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The only sadness is that there isn't a Great or Kaiser chapter ever.
Kishi we'll get round to Shin Mazinger just you wait.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:23 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Sold!
You've got sound judgement

Is it just me or is Jun Kawagoe's anime direction like eating mayonnaise straight from the jar
Old 03-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Look if I remain positive then maybe it will happen, especially if it's not going to be partially tied to Bandai's abortion of an exclusive anime channel in Japan.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 PM
The Great

We got Mazin Emperor G in SRW just a month ago, which was also how Mazinkaiser was born. It also had a pseudo-Great Chapter plot to go along with it. Stuff in SRW has coincided with dormant IPs getting revived before, so maybe.

Though the upcoming 45th anniversary Mazinger Z movie might make the continuation of Shin Mazinger less likely.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Are You Sure About That?

SRW V is next on my list of things to buy in a few months. Sadly can't afford to toss $80 out the door yet.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM
The Great

The Asian-region version is only ~$60! And is in English.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Are You Sure About That?

You either pay $20 in shipping or some wag on Amazon adds that to the sticker price.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

The final episode of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju was perfect. Just everything about it. I can't even list highlights because I'd just summarize the episode. Wonderful, wonderful episode, and a perfect one to end on.

I'm going to miss Rakugo. The show had me enthralled right from the first episode, and it only managed to get better and better from there. This season, in particular, just kept topping itself even when it didn't seem possible. I don't know how they did it, but it's truly masterful. It's immediately jumped into my all-time favourites, probably even within the top five.

ALSO HOLY SHIT MATSUDA SURVIVED THE WHOLE SHOW I'M SO HAPPY
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

This show was magical. An instant classic. Might just be the recency bias of the afterglow talking, but I have a strong feeling I'm gonna feel the same way years from now. This was the best thing I've seen this decade, bar none. I'm actually tearing up again just thinking about everything that happened and how the final moments played out. That transition to the credits was just... perfect. I really don't want to oversell this show, but I can't help it. Rakugo Shinjuu is an absolute masterpiece.

My only real complaint about the show/ending was that we needed to see Konatsu do a performance as Kosukeroku along with the family. But I don't fault the production staff for not following through. It's clear from the context of the episode that she would have been performing a new/original piece. And a lesser show would have risked writing one for her even though the writers weren't equipped to do the medium the justice it deserves. And given how much love and care and sweat and blood just drips from every frame of this show, I don't fault its writers for not being confident enough to do it. Also, not really a complaintm rather an interesting topic of discussion: I don't mind Higuchi's assertion. If it's true, it's somehow fitting for a show that's played with such intense psychological baggage this entire time. However, I'm going to believe it's not. Not out of denial, but simply because Higuchi represents a stand-in for the rabid fan. I mean, for god's sake, he's been writing rakugo fan fiction this entire time! And these kinds of lurid, wishful fan theories are par for the course, and the author is just coyly having fun with such things.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Also, not really a complaintm rather an interesting topic of discussion: I don't mind Higuchi's assertion. If it's true, it's somehow fitting for a show that's played with such intense psychological baggage this entire time. However, I'm going to believe it's not. Not out of denial, but simply because Higuchi represents a stand-in for the rabid fan. I mean, for god's sake, he's been writing rakugo fan fiction this entire time! And these kinds of lurid, wishful fan theories are par for the course, and the author is just coyly having fun with such things.
I definitely took it as Higuchi cooking up a wild fantasy to satisfy his own narrative. What tips it, for me, is how he notes how symbolic and exciting it would be for Shinnosuke to be a merger of Bon and Shin's lines... but we've already seen that merger, in other ways. Bon adopting and raising Konatsu brought the two families together legally, and Yotaro represents the two in a symbolic way, inheriting first Sukeroku and then Yakumo.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I'm also pretty skeptical of his theory there, but it's fine that they leave it up in the air.

What a great show.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM

One thing I didn't want to leave unmentioned, is that Yotaro has the most incredible/adorable dad-bod going on in the finale.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road