The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by peach View Post
Kaiba is twelve episodes long. Why have half of us not finished it yet?
My excuse is that my computer just isn't good enough to watch it without significant lag or screwiness on some of the best parts. That's why I'm really holding out for a Western release.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Right Stuf also has this on a preorder sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I've never heard of Baccano (batchano? backano?), but that description does a good job of selling it to me.
Baccano! is one of the most entertaining series that has come out in years and you are missing out if you haven't seen it. I don't think I have ever run across (in person or on the internet) anyone who has watched any of it who hasn't liked it, I can say that of very few things.

Quote:

I mean, in my case, my feelings for the show cooled pretty quickly, but the euphoria I experienced with the first, second, and fourth episodes should have justified seeing it through. Which I will, eventually.
I watched every ep as soon as it was subbed and anxiously awaited the next. While I do think the episodes you named were really excellent I would say that the seventh (well, the second half), eighth, ninth, and eleventh are just as great.

Random bonus fact: the fourth episode of Kaiba was animated entirely by one man over many months.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
misutadonatsu-tan

Also this grousing about Kaiba fansubs encoded in video formats not playable on people's computers reminds me that I wish someone would at least sub the last episode of Mouryou no Hako, also about the same length. Coincidentally MnH originally aired in Fall '08 so that season has been truly endless and unresolved (for me).

I motion Baccano! be declared Talking Time's official favorite anime the way Persona 3 is Talking Time's favorite JRPG.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Remembers Love

From a purely academic standpoint, I find the inexplicable lack of Bacanno! doujinshi to be found a source of deep disappointment. Claire Stanfield is mai waifu.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
The Great

There's a pretty respectable amount of fanart for it, though.

And also this.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
As I was saying in the last thread, Cross Game is a cruel series. Everything will just be going swimmingly when out of the blue tragedy strikes.
It is most cruel indeed. This is good storytelling though, because once again Azuma is going to blame himself for possibly taking away someone's dream of playing baseball. It's going to be very interesting to see how he and the other characters deal with this situation.

Azuma has developed into a really interesting character in general, I think. He's changed quite a bit since the beginning of the series, but it's happened so slowly and subtly that you don't really notice until he does something really out of the ordinary, like eating Aoba's cooking or showing a real interest in the relationships between other people. He's grown up a lot.

Character development! It's what good stories are made of!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Actually after the Elric Brothers leave the North starts the big messy countdown to the final confrontation. Though you are right it will end up with a higher episode count.
All right.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with it except for the mentions in this thread, but I've been inspired to give it a shot. Kaiba Fun Club, anyone?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
flort

I've been ignoring anime for a while now, as everything seemed to go downhill after Cowboy Bebop. The most recent anime series I've enjoyed was Azumanga Daioh. Has anything notable happened since then?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Curious Young Gent

I like to think 2006's juggernaut of Welcome to the NHK!, Black Lagoon and Mushishi happened, but I may be alone in this opinion.

Mushishi at least is noteworthy as the best animated bedtime stories of the last decade. Short enough to be a wind-down rather than a wind up, thoughtful and sombre with dashes of humour, wonderfully sleepy/dreamy soundtrack and some really nice scenic shots. As well as the whole House style 'problem revolving around a mystery the viewer has no way of guessing beforehand', only with semi-organic, semi-mystical takes on Japanese folk myths + fairy stories rather than creative takes on actual diseases.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I've been ignoring anime for a while now, as everything seemed to go downhill after Cowboy Bebop. The most recent anime series I've enjoyed was Azumanga Daioh. Has anything notable happened since then?
'Notable' is kind of subjective, so I hope this isn't a yes/no question. It sounds like you are curious for recommendations.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Also Mushishi, Black Lagoon, and Coyote Ragtime Show.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Family Man

I thought that show was okay until they started taking it seriously. I only saw a few episodes at different parts of the series, though.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I thought that show was okay until they started taking it seriously. I only saw a few episodes at different parts of the series, though.
At least to me they remain so over-the-top that I can't take the show seriously. Ever.

In one of the later episodes Gurren Lagann poses and the enemies blow up because of its sheer awesomeness. A power wave of awesome. How can that be anything but awesome as well? (Also see Lagann's final form for completely ridiculous/awesome.)

I also really enjoyed Noein which came out in 2005/2006. Anybody else see this one?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Has anything notable happened since then?
In the seven years since Azumanga Daioh, and eleven* since Cowboy Bebop? You're probably at least aware of some other series, anything else to narrow down the field?

Given the CB history, perhaps Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex would be relevant to your interests.

* obligatory "aaaaaah I'm OLD" moment
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
flort

I remember seeing some Ghost in the Shell SAC on Cartoon Network. It was decent.

Mushishi sounds interesting.

As for Tengen Tetris Good Lasagna or whatever, well, I still know nothing about it, other than it has a long name.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Has anything notable happened since then?
You should definitely take a look at Baccano!, especially since it is:

Quote:
Talking Time's official favorite anime
Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Penalty Box

Quote:
As for Tengen Tetris Good Lasagna or whatever, well, I still know nothing about it, other than it has a long name.
Here you go, provided you live in the U.S.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinoff View Post
You should definitely take a look at Baccano!
Plus you watch it legally for free online (subbed or dubbed) at Funimation's video site.

So there really isn't any excuse for not watching it.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
This is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
I also really enjoyed Noein which came out in 2005/2006. Anybody else see this one?
Noein was pretty damn good. If you liked that you should check out the two Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode series (both by the director of Noein) which were really really good.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I remember seeing some Ghost in the Shell SAC on Cartoon Network. It was decent.

Mushishi sounds interesting.

I'll second Mazian's suggestion for Stand Alone Complex. From what I'm hearing it should be the top of your list.

Black Lagoon and Gunslinger Girls would be my "go to" suggestions after GITS and Bebop for recent action-y anime that restricts itself to realistic settings. Heck, maybe make them primary suggestions if they sound more appealing, because in my book I don't rate any of them over another.

Gurren-Lagann always has lots of support in anime discussions but I think it is much more YMMV [than GITS]. I found it likable but not worth watching.

If you have any strong likes and dislikes for settings, basic genre (comedy/drama/action), and characters (especially age) it will be easier to tell what will appeal to you.

Last edited by dosboot; 12-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Remembers Love

Am I wrong in thinking that Gunslinger Girl was exploitative trash?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Penalty Box

That's the one about the subservient young girls who get partnered up with older men, right?

So... nope. You're right on the money.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure Four View Post
Noein was pretty damn good. If you liked that you should check out the two Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode series (both by the director of Noein) which were really really good.
Both Birdy series are good, but the second season had a miniscule budget. Miniscule. They basically reserved all of the money for the start and end of the season for the big Birdy fights and the backstory stuff that happens halfway through the season suffers tremendously as a result.

If someone's subbed the DVD/BR releases, they've probably fixed it there though.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
The Great

Quote:
Baccano!.

Go watch Baccano!!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
I find myself missing Revolutionary Girl Utena. Have there been any shows recently like it?

(Oh, and I found a bootleg of the musical, which was surprisingly awesome.)
No. And that makes me sad. A number come close in various ways, but nothing quite captures the surreal psychological androgynous mythological genderfuck that Utena had going on.

I was trying to explain Akio's car to a friend of mine who'd only seen bits and pieces of the series. He didn't get it.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 AM

Yea, I was going to put a disclaimer about Gunslinger's girl basic premise which can obviously be seen in a very creepy way. It's an honest anime though and I think the show is very good. My 2 cents anyway.

Speaking of Baccano!, I just watched the OVA episodes and found them not that great, especially in contrast to how gripping the main series was. Some of the extra backstory was nice (like Nice+Jacuzzi), but man so much focus is given to the new character Graham and his rivalry with Ladd but I can't find a reason to care about either one.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Definitely! In fact, there has been so much of note that I can't possibly tell you about it all in one post! I'll give you a few suggestions to start with, but bear in mind that I am leaving out dozens of good shows. I'm also going to forget important things because I do that sometimes.

I'm assuming that you're asking about series and not films. If you want film recommendations, here are a few things off the top of my head: Ghibli stuff (I'm sure you know which films they've made lately that have been worthwhile), anything by Satoshi Kon, anything by Mamoru Hosoda, the Evangelion movies, Interstella 5555 (Leiji Matsumoto and Daft Punk combined!), Studio 4°C anthologies like Genius Party, and, most importantly of all, Masaki Yuasa's Mind Game.

Now here are some shows you might enjoy!

Baccano!: (Not so) jokingly referred to as Talking Time's Favorite Anime, Baccano! tells several interconnected stories about a rather large cast of characters tangled up on a train in the U.S. during the Prohibition Era. Each of the characters has some part to play in the overall chaos that ensues, and some of them are immortal just to make things more interesting.

The story is told from several different viewpoints and bounces around rapidly between different time periods. If you've seen Boogiepop Phantom then you have an idea of what to expect, but Baccano! works a little differently and is significantly more upbeat and fun.

As an added bonus, you can now watch the entire series online for free if you want. You should give it a try!

Flag: I made a thread about this show quite some time ago because I liked it so much. In a nutshell: it's a story about a country that is tearing itself apart, told entirely through the viewpoint of various digital devices. Since I'm just going to end up repeating myself anyway, here's how I described it initially:

Quote:
It's not a "found footage" type of show, where everything is shakycam POV shots, however. It's actually a lot closer in form to a documentary. The story is told through still images, hand-shot video, press conferences, promotional videos, onboard monitors inside military vehicles, and even through the operating systems of digital cameras and computers.
The effect of this approach is extraordinary and quite unique, and it imbues the show with a palpable sense of immediacy. Of course, all this gimmickry wouldn't mean anything if the show didn't have the characters or story to back it up, but it does. Oh, how it does.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: This show really is worth watching. It's action-packed, cerebral, tightly plotted, and finds a good balance between presenting stand alone episodes and a complex overarching plot (SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE). It has lots of talking heads though! Be prepared for infodumps!

Honey and Clover: If you're the type that enjoys watching twenty-something aged people going through various bouts of drama, this is the show for you. Backed up by a rich cast of characters who struggle with themselves, the people around them, their relationships, their careers, and their art (most of them are creative types), H&C is a top-notch, character-driven drama series. It isn't for everybody though, and its sense of humor is somewhat dreadful at times.

It also has one of the best opening sequences of any anime series in the last decade or so. So, you know, there's that.

Kaiba: What would happen if Osamu Tezuka and David Lynch teamed up to make an anime series? This! You really need to see it to understand. This show actually comes from the mind of Masaki Yuasa, and it's safe to say that there is no other mind in the world quite like it.

Kaiji: An ugly show about ugly things, and about the light that can shine through the darkest of times. Kaiji is a man with no life, no money and no future, and when he discovers that one of his so-called "friends" has gotten him deeply in debt, he is completely lost. That is, until a mysterious man in a suit shows up and offers him the chance to not only earn the money to pay back his debt, but possibly make himself rich in the process. All he has to do is get on board a mysterious ship for one night of gambling.

One night...that will lead him into depths of human depravity that he could never have imagined.

DUN DUN DUN!

Silliness aside, Kaiji is a pretty great show that features the titular character clawing his way through one desperate situation after another and finding previously undiscovered strength and resourcefulness inside of himself. It's intense and intellectual and takes a hard look at people and how they get through life. The pacing can lag a bit at times, and the story arcs can feel a bit like Dragonball Z battles, but when you watch the series all together instead of one episode a week it actually plays out at a pretty reasonable pace.

Mushishi: Pombar has this covered.

Planetes: It's the near future and there's tons of space junk orbiting around our planet. This garbage is cleaned up not by teams of heroic astronauts, but rather by workaday salarymen/ladies. Part office comedy, part romance, part hard sci-fi, part political action/adventure, Planetes is an exceptional series that will give you some Cowboy Bebop vibes, but is entirely its own thing.

One hint I like to give people before they watch the show: it may seem purely episodic at first, but it really isn't. All of those early episodes are actually laying groundwork that will come into play later on.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Gainax pays tribute to the super robot genre with a show that starts big and ridiculous, and then gets bigger and more ridiculous, and then takes the words "big" and "ridiculous" and tosses them out the window because they are no longer even remotely adequate.

Then it punches a hole through the universe.

This show is over-the-top fun of the highest order and I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

So that's a start, at least. Remember that I can give many more suggestions! In fact, I left out some of my absolute favorite shows because I'm a sucker for drama and slice-of-life and I know that not everybody likes that stuff.

EDIT: Kino's Journey! I told you I would forget things! Lots of people whose opinions I trust have recommended this series. I have not seen it, to my continuing shame, but I have seen Allison & Lillia, which was based on work by the same author, and I liked that quite a bit.

Last edited by mr_bungle700; 12-11-2009 at 03:32 AM.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road