The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I Cuss You Bad

OK, the return of the Master was pure Harry Potter and really incongruous. Also the Master's new Peter Petrelli suite of powers is ridiculous and not even slightly explained.

But I defy anyone not to enjoy the Master's performance and to laugh at the ending. Also - TIMOTHY DALTON.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:12 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

1. Holy crap.

2. Holy crap.

3. Geez, they actually named Obama and borrowed audio...

I actually thought at first that the Master's plan was to bring Gallifrey back, so the first revelation was a slight letdown. But, yes, god bless Jon Simm, and god bless that ending since I was more or less right.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM
It's all good, man

Part 2's New Year's day, right?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:49 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Now go watch Life on Mars and revel in more John Simm awesomeness.
I'd follow Sven's advice here. Why suffer through Torchwood when there's something far better which you could watch instead? And seeing as it has John Simm and (maybe) time travel in it it's as close to Doctor Who as Torchwood is.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't really care for Torchwood.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I just keep hoping the rumours of him doing a guest shot on Ashes to Ashes' finale are true. I have more of a fondness for the early 80s than the 70s, but because he's not around the sequel's not as fun.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Hawkguy

What's up with Billie Piper when she shows up in Season 4? I don't know if I'm just remembering things differently but it seems like she has a lisp now.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
What's up with Billie Piper when she shows up in Season 4? I don't know if I'm just remembering things differently but it seems like she has a lisp now.
Childbirth does weird things to a woman, I guess.

Like force them to use a body double in Secret Diary of Call Girl, which completely ruins the whole freaking point of that series. But, yeah, I noticed the same thing. I thought it was supposed to be a tip-off, but it wasn't.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Childbirth does weird things to a woman, I guess.

Like force them to use a body double in Secret Diary of Call Girl, which completely ruins the whole freaking point of that series.
You seem bitter about this.

And I read that she "forgot" the accent.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
You seem bitter about this.

And I read that she "forgot" the accent.
I figure the two reasons to watch the show are nearly-naked girl-we're-talking-about and its 'humor.'

And I don't care what my channel guide says, that show's not funny enough to be a comedy.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Hawkguy

Awwwww the season 4 finale was a heart breaker.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 PM
It's all good, man

Now you get to watch the last five specials, of which four have aired and one has been good!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Now you get to watch the last five specials, of which four have aired and one has been good!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Hah, I seem to recall that was much commented on at the time. I think it was generally put down to an overuse of botox.

"The Next Doctor" is worth watching for David Morrissey's performance if nothing else. Shame the story and plot were so flimsy outside of that. Clearly one of the scripts where Davis came up with the big set pieces first and then cobbled together a story around them. Actually, who am I kidding? That's what he always does.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
"The Next Doctor" is worth watching for David Morrissey's performance if nothing else. Shame the story and plot were so flimsy outside of that. Clearly one of the scripts where Davis came up with the big set pieces first and then cobbled together a story around them. Actually, who am I kidding? That's what he always does.
At least it felt Christmas-y and like something was actually going to happen THIS EPISODE. Usually the problem is that Davies sets up so much in the first part that the second part is wall-to-wall deus ex machina, but here it starts with deus and Timothy Dalton head and there wasn't really any story or much Christmas in it. The whole episode I kept thinking "Couldn't this have all been shown as the pre-credit teaser, so we can start when the Doctor DOES SOMETHING?"
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Hawkguy

Just watched Planet of the Dead. The episode was rather ho-hum but damn Bionic Woman sho is fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Hawkguy

Of the first three special, Water of Mars is my favorite. Seeing the Doctor as this unstoppable force that won't give up is awesome.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Of the first three special, Water of Mars is my favorite. Seeing the Doctor as this unstoppable force that won't give up is awesome.
Yes. If Russell T Davies was more consistently at that kind of quality I would be really upset to see him go.

I love the Christmas Special so far but I can't see how it can end in anything other than multiple dei ex machina. Which will be disappointing if it does happen.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Remember, this one doesn't necessarily have to have a happy ending. Of course, the last time Davies wrote a regeneration episode I hated it, so he's got a low bar to clear.

I still say it'd be great if Matt Smith turned out to be a regeneration that lasted for about twelve minutes, but I also watched Curse of Fatal Death too many times. Then again, we all know who wrote that....
Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Sven, have you seen Coupling? It's about as far from Doctor Who as it's possible to get (being a British take on Friends, sort of) but it's pure Steve Moffat.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Saw it, own all four seasons. It's what got me excited to think that Moffat was writing for Who in the first place.

Still need to get Jeckyll on DVD.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
It's all good, man

I want to see Coupling now.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I want to see Coupling now.
Last I looked, it was pretty much all online on a service that rhymes with Blue Rube.

Season 4 is much packed with Doctor Who gags since I'm pretty sure Moffat was lobbying the BBC to be in charge of the reboot at the time, but the first three seasons are superior. Episodes two and three of the first season are two of the best sitcom episodes ever produced, and that's leaving off the high-concept stuff like the Rashomon episode and the one where Jeff tries to pick up a hot Israeli girl that doesn't speak English.

Actually, check that - Kelly reminds me that the best episode is 'Unconditional Sex.'
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Hawkguy

So why are the Time Lords back?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
So why are the sprays of spittle so drippy?
For the greater good?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 AM
It's all good, man

Personally, I'd take the first.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I like that line from bottom left to top right on the second one, even if I think Davies, and the show in general, are a bit too celeb-worshippy to kill off Donna, and it's a little self-contradictory. That fucking Emperor Dalek square kills off an easy vertical line on the first card.

Although I'm fairly sure the radiation box is going to be the regeneration trigger, as they were so obvious about the method of escape in part one.

One prediction that I'm confident in making is that Tennant's going to get a more grandiose regeneration sequence than the ninth did, probably aping Davison's with all the cameos.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Suspected Atarian

I love these BINGO cards.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Season 4 is much packed with Doctor Who gags since I'm pretty sure Moffat was lobbying the BBC to be in charge of the reboot at the time, but the first three seasons are superior. Episodes two and three of the first season are two of the best sitcom episodes ever produced, and that's leaving off the high-concept stuff like the Rashomon episode and the one where Jeff tries to pick up a hot Israeli girl that doesn't speak English.

Actually, check that - Kelly reminds me that the best episode is 'Unconditional Sex.'
I love the one where Jeff accidentally says he has a wooden leg to impress a girl and especially the one where Sally reveals the story of how she met Patrick. Season 4 is the weakest one (no Richard Coyle) but the one with female Jeff is brilliant.

The Time Lords returning is a great thing but it's a bit predictable really. There have been no Daleks left (or only one) so many times and apparently those disgusting little Kaleds multiply like snotty little rabbits.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
The Time Lords returning is a great thing but it's a bit predictable really.
I didn't think so. I was beginning to believe it was going to be The Black Guardian even before the aforementioned Timothy Dalton head, at which point I became nearly convinced it was. But it wasn't, which is shame since it really should have been for a while now instead of those stupid, stereotypical looking Satan/Abbadon things that have still not been explained.

I was also disappointed that the Master's wife wasn't the one who got the ring since that's what I thought the red nail polish implied and it would have made the shooting all part of the plan.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey guys, I'm only up to episode 3 of the 2005 season. Can we restrict discussion to those three episodes? I don't want to have to worry about spoilers.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , literal slap in the face , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff