The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well she at least realizes that Marcos' plans to help Zero People is worse than her plan to help some people. Particularly after she realizes that soon there will be no people.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I liked that book. I'm really looking forward to your impressions after you finish it.
I'm not quite done yet, around 70%. Think I'm at the beginning of Part 4; they just figured out the footprints. So far it's itching a lot of my scratches. The narrator/main character is basically a Delight, and even though she does some slightly Dumb Main Character Stuff It's never bothered me. I totally buy it because of the way her old self looks back and is like "this was totally dumb!"

I really like the natural history/science aspects, though honestly I could probably use a little more of them (like, inject a bit more of their actual findings instead of just her memoir of the journey). It's got ancient ruins and moderately realistic cultures and isolation and a mysterious dragon graveyard.

It's not blowing me away or changing my life, but I also can't think of anything I don't like about it.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Going to try my hand at The Recognitions by William Gaddis
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM

Gave up at about 70 pages. Let's read Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon instead
Old 03-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Why not read the Devil in the White City with the rest of TT?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Read it last year. That's why I advocated reading one of his other books, but I'll try to join in a discussion from what I remember
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
You seem to be in the mood for long books!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 AM
STATACTATON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Oh! Neat. I bought this book maybe four or five years ago and started reading it, loved it, then put it down for some reason. I just recently listened to that same Lore episode you mention in the thread and it got me thinking that I need to pick it back up...
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Out Of Warranty

I finished The Last Colony and I'm disappointed that Scalzi's "number of novels in a series until they start to read like fanfiction of themselves" factor is apparently a mere three. Alas. Still enjoyable, but full of empty calories, even by soft sci-fi space opera standards.

Next: Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Mystery Contraption

Man, a lot of people here got into that series recently...
Old 03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
I. Love. It.

I've started to gradually get back into reading again, it's been far too long since I used to read regularly. Part of this is due to the fact that I haven't been sleeping all that well and I'm thinking some of it had to do with spending about 30 minutes in bed every evening watching online videos on a device, and that extra screentime must have been effing up my sleeping patterns. I switched to reading before turning in instead and it seems to have done the trick. I'm sleeping longer with fewer interruptions than I did, and I'm reading on a regular basis again to boot!

To start I read Bone, complete 1 volume edition, which teg got me for Festivus 2015. I was only ever vaguely familiar with the character (previously known as 'that goofy little white blobby thing, right?') but it didn't take long for me to really get into it. It was a bit jarring at first to see the Bones next to normally proportioned real people once Thorn and everyone was introduced, but it didn't take long to get over that. Overall I really enjoyed it and wish I had gotten into the series sooner, but it was great having it all in one book.

I also read the other two novels teg got me that year, Going Postal and Making Money, except I read them in the wrong dang order! In fact I'm pretty sure it was recommended to me in the Festivus thread what the proper order was but since I let a year pass without reading them I plum forgot and grabbed Making Money first! I guess it's a credit to Terry Pratchett that it was easy enough to get into that book as-is despite not only being one of the later Discworld novels, but the direct sequel to another book entirely. I just treated Going Postal as a prequel, so it's all good. I liked both of these books quite a bit, they were charming and funny and both easy reads. They did more to get me interested in Discworld than anything else, so I'm considering picking up The Color of Magic on my Kindle sometime soon.

I also read Wishful Drinking, with the intent of picking up The Princess Diarist sometime later. It was pretty bite-sized, but really engaging, and devastating, and I laughed out loud a few times. Carrie Fisher really had a way of writing that just grabs you, I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.

Then there was The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe which I grabbed as a lark. It was short and punchy, but funny and a pretty good introduction to the character. I've been wanting to read some of the Squirrel Girl comics for awhile now.

Aaaaand right now I'm in the middle of the second hardcover volume of the Darth Vader comics, containing the remaining issues of that series, Vader Down, Star Wars #13-14, Star Wars Annual, and some other stuff I'm sure. It's a big hardcover, and a tad pricey, but it was well worth it because it's really excellent.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 03-18-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I've started to gradually get back into reading again, it's been far too long since I used to read regularly. Part of this is due to the fact that I haven't been sleeping all that well and I'm thinking some of it had to do with spending about 30 minutes in bed everything evening watching online videos on a device, and that extra screentime must have been effing up my sleeping patterns. I switched to reading before turning in instead and it seems to have done the trick. I'm sleeping longer with fewer interruptions than I did, and I'm reading on a regular basis again to boot!
According to an article I read on the internet, which must be true, the blue light that comes from backlit screens negatively affects the part of your brain that regulates sleep. So this is a good decision!

ETA: don't start Discworld from the beginning after reading a couple of the later ones. I did it. Lots of people do it. The first couple of them kind of suck in comparison. You'll thank me later.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

Finished The Clown Service by Guy Adams, and my opinions on it did a complete 180. Just before I was going to drop it, in fact. The main, viewpoint character that the audience is supposed to resonate it was a weeny sadsack who, frankly, I just didn't want to read about.

Then, suddenly, like a bolt out of the blue, that characterization is dropped and he suddenly becomes sympathetic and the extended cast of characters becomes way more likeable. Now I want to read the follow-ups. It's weird. Like a different guy wrote the first third of the book.

As for the book itself, a failed secret agent whose PTSD comes across as clumsiness due to his embarrassment of it, is reassigned to British Weird Stuff division. On the downside, this book is just a zombie apocalypse story, but at least there's an interesting twist with it actually being a reverse-Watchmen situation, and also possibly a ghost-Cthulhu is involved?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
We just don't know.

My final impressions of A Natural History of Dragons are about the same above! I'll add a bit more when I'm not on my phone. But I liked it and I want to read on in the series.

But for now, I picked The Book of Strange New Things off my bookshelf. So far... The idea is intriguing, but I'm a little conflicted because of the concept. Not big on missionaries or the concept thereof, and hope the book isn't going to be too Religious. But we're just getting started, and the writing has intrigued me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
I know you don't typically say much about the books you read but I'd love to hear your impressions of this one. Against the Day is one of my very favorite books!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
But for now, I picked The Book of Strange New Things off my bookshelf. So far... The idea is intriguing, but I'm a little conflicted because of the concept. Not big on missionaries or the concept thereof, and hope the book isn't going to be too Religious. But we're just getting started, and the writing has intrigued me so far.
As I recall, the author is an atheist. His novel The Fire Gospel has some somewhat blasphemous passages.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
As I recall, the author is an atheist. His novel The Fire Gospel has some somewhat blasphemous passages.
Honestly, I kind of assumed as much. But since I like going into books and movies knowing as little as possible, I wasn't sure which way things would go. Guess we'll see!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM

Frank: The Voice by James Kaplan
Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Safe Space

The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon. I learned about it from a list of essential fantasy novels for DMing.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 PM

I have that. Let me know how it is
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon. I learned about it from a list of essential fantasy novels for DMing.
Love this trilogy/novel A lot of the realistic treatment of military life is because Elizabeth Moon was a marine. Hmm, I should really catch up on the sequels that've been coming out recently.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:46 AM
The metal babble flees!

Don't Bite the Sun: I'm not sure why I was expecting a gothy thing of the second Tanith Lee I've ever read. Maybe the author photo I saw online? Anyway, this was a fun, even funny, book.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Don't Bite the Sun: I'm not sure why I was expecting a gothy thing of the second Tanith Lee I've ever read. Maybe the author photo I saw online? Anyway, this was a fun, even funny, book.
Tanith Lee was all about capital G Gothic Sci fi , which led to her being embraced by goths et al in the 80s. Source: anyone who read Sabella as a teenager
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Working my way through The View From The Cheap Seats. I've read a lot of these essays before but it's nice to have them in one place. I need to pick up Norse Mythology at some point but I have a few other books to start/finish first. (The Buried Giant, Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End of the World, and another trip through House of Leaves.)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Johannes Cabal: The Detective was pretty good, not as enjoyable as the first book, but a perfectly serviceable locked-room mystery where the detective happens to be an evil wizard. Kind of lives or dies but merit of Cabal himself though; there's something strangely endearing about him considering his utter lack of any endearing aspects. He is very definitely both a bad guy and a bad guy, he's just opposed by Worse Guys. There's also an epilogue that is an almost entirely unrelated short story where Cabal meets a lawyer-friendly take on Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. So that's nice.

Anyway, next is The Dracula Cha-Cha, honestly, is a book I'd read based on the title alone, even if it weren't part of a series I'm already a fan of.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 AM

The second book was my least favorite in the series. The Fear Institute is much better IMO
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Tanith Lee was all about capital G Gothic Sci fi , which led to her being embraced by goths et al in the 80s. Source: anyone who read Sabella as a teenager
The cover on Sabella's DAW edition is wonderfully terrible. I'll have to read that one when I'm done with the other half-dozen Lees I have lying around.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM
#deadfish2017

Lee is one of those good authors who's never had a good cover.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM

I'm getting into Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. But the numbering is a bit confusing. I started with Sharpe's Tiger the first book in the series timeline(which was the sixteenth book written), then went to Sharpe's Eagle (the first book written in the series but the 8th one in the sequence) and am now onto Sharpe's Gold (the second one published but the 9th in sequence). I have to go to wikipedia to figure out which book I should read next in the series!

But other than the confusing chronology I'm really enjoying the picaresque adventures of the soldier Richard Sharpe and his adventures in the Napoleonic wars.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM

On to Kaplan's second volume of his Frank Sinatra bio called Sinatra: The Chairman

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book