The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-12-2017, 02:52 PM

This week on IBO:

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 03-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 PM
EARTH FOREVER

You know, you didn't have to show us this.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Wisteria is saving me the trouble of watching these episodes myself.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I just watch the mech battles on youtube, and even that's pretty boring sometimes. Where the fuck did the people who orchestrated the GBF, Unicorn, and Thunderbolt battles go?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Not a Beer

The Barbatos vs mobile armor fight at mid-season was pretty fun.

And honestly? I'll take some scared, fucked up kids deciding to make a trio over a lot of the catty love-triangle nonsense you often get in a show with teens.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I'd be more forgiving of it if the writing was better overall.

I still haven't been able to finish the first season.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I just watch the mech battles on youtube, and even that's pretty boring sometimes. Where the fuck did the people who orchestrated the GBF, Unicorn, and Thunderbolt battles go?
The studio in Sunrise that made Unicorn are the same people tasked with making Thunderbolt currently*. So that's where they are. S2 of that starts very soon, so get hype.

Meanwhile, the studio that did GBF is actually the ones doing IBO! However, the director/writer combo that was the main creative force behind GBF has nothing to do with IBO. Those two are actually at work on My Hero Academia currently, so that's where that talent went. The main creative talent handling IBO however? Their resumes are composed of great action shows likes Toradora and AnoHana.

IBO, even if you're willing to forgive the boring action, mediocre mecha design, and god awful histrionics that substitute for a story, just the pacing of the show is abysmal for a Gundam thing. Most good action shows will, you know, have some action every episode. I can't remember the last time I watched something titled Gundam that went several episodes on end without anyone piloting a mech out into a fight. Even 0080 and Turn-A manages to get the viewer some action every episode, even if they just amount to light skirmishes. Meanwhile, IBO spent the last two episodes having its cast stand around talking about their feelings nonstop, but basically just repeating things we already know about them rather than making any progress or character development (see pics above). It's a colossal waste of time if you're here for the mecha. Which, as a Gundam fan, you probably are.

*Fake edit: Did you know the director of Thunderbolt was the director of Valvrave?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Hooray, the 16th volume of Johnny Ridden got scanlated, so here's a Gyan:

Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Remembers Love

that crest camera is so dumb and i love it
Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Why does a monoeye have another camera up there? Why does that Gyan not have a pointy top? Where are all the little missiles on that Gyan's shield??
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Can you guess what happened next???

Meanwhile, how will the character McGillis Fareed fare in the next episode titled, "McGillis Fareed"???
Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Orga shot Mika?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Orga shot Mika?
That would threaten to be an actually interesting development, so no.

Orga gets shot in a street just as it looks like the situation is turning around a bit, in a similar manner to a female character's death a little while ago. But because Orga is a big tough manly man, he doesn't just unceremoniously die like she does, and instead gets to fight back and gives a long dying speech as he bleeds gallons of blood.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post

Orga gets shot in a street just as it looks like the situation is turning around a bit, in a similar manner to a female character's death a little while ago. But because Orga is a big tough manly man, he doesn't just unceremoniously die like she does, and instead gets to fight back and gives a long dying speech as he bleeds gallons of blood.
Are you farkin kidding me? I mean, I'm still on Gundam AGE, so I have a long way to go on my Gundam quest until I'm at IBO S2 but Orga was, like, the only reason I watched the show.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post

I can't stop laughing. Like, really. What.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Hmm, spitballin' here, but finale will be Mika and McGillis having a totally-not-homoerotic final MS battle that results in Mika dying at the very least, end credits are the two haremettes with a small cluster of children telling them about their father.

Christ, IBO is so dumb. So, so dumb.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Hmm, spitballin' here, but finale will be Mika and McGillis having a totally-not-homoerotic final MS battle that results in Mika dying at the very least, end credits are the two haremettes with a small cluster of children telling them about their father.

Even more ridiculous because 00 already has the totally-not-homoerotic battle scene on lockdown. Like, they perfected it. They reached peak "pretty guys locking really long swords". There's no further space to explore there.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM
The Great

To be fair, that death was pretty obviously inevitable as soon as it was clear how everyone in Tekkadan's life revolved around him 100%. It just... shouldn't have been so obviously telegraphed in the middle of a million other obviously telegraphed deaths, and it should have happened in S1 to give the rest of the cast enough time to actually grow and become independent and develop personalities to cope with his absence. He doesn't really do anything in S2 other than retread ground already covered in S1 anyway.

Quote:

This, and the kids are named Mika, Orga, and Orka.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Orga was, like, the only reason I watched the show.
He was an OK character in the beginning because his inner conflicts of balancing the expectations of others with his own insecurities was probably the closest thing to a compelling characterization this show had. But as SpoonyGundam points out, the show has done literally nothing with growing his character whatsoever (I'm convinced Mari Okada is so bad at writing that she literally has no idea what 'character development' means in a literary sense) so watching his same singular plot-beat get repeated ad nauseum for 48 episodes has been a patience-testing experience. Not to mention, the stupidity he demonstrates throughout the show (along with the rest of the cast/plot contrivances) is insulting as a viewer.

Quote:
Hmm, spitballin' here, but finale will be Mika and McGillis having a totally-not-homoerotic final MS battle
I will chop off my left-hand if this comes to pass, because as I alluded to earlier there's no way McGillis will survive an episode titled after him in order to see the final episode. That's not Mari Okada's way. Character deaths aren't written in service of the plot or a greater central theme. They're the the thing that all of her writing centers around as an end-product. Because she's not in the business of telling good stories. She's in the business of writing the laziest, most transparently emotionally manipulative melodrama as possible. So as a result, if a major antagonist like McGillis dies, he needs a whole episode centered around him. And since Mikazuki is going to die in the last episode (this week's episode went to great lengths to highlight, once again, that Mikazuki has zero personal agency and he only lives to serve Orga; his S2 story arc has been one of him increasingly becoming integrated with his mobile suit and physically incapable of living any other kind of life) we can't have these tear-jerk moments overlapping on top of each other.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
He was an OK character in the beginning because his inner conflicts of balancing the expectations of others with his own insecurities was probably the closest thing to a compelling characterization this show had. But as SpoonyGundam points out, the show has done literally nothing with growing his character whatsoever (I'm convinced Mari Okada is so bad at writing that she literally has no idea what 'character development' means in a literary sense) so watching his same singular plot-beat get repeated ad nauseum for 48 episodes has been a patience-testing experience. Not to mention, the stupidity he demonstrates throughout the show (along with the rest of the cast/plot contrivances) is insulting as a viewer.
Granted, but he's hot and cool
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 AM

I'm actually just angry with how stupid his death scene was. And the more I think about it, the more angry I get. Gonna spoilerpop this rant because I'm sure plenty of people are tired of my anti-IBO diatribes.
This is a show where hit-and-run assassinations have happened at least a dozen times. Sometimes by Tekkadan itself! So here we are with Orga, who at heart is a soldier. It's almost all he's ever known. He's in the middle of an active warzone, and behind enemy lines. Does he think to wear a bulletproof vest underneath his suit? Does anybody in this world? We have "nanolaminate armor" that's so powerful it deflects beam weapons and renders traditional munitions impotent. You're telling me he can't wrap some of that around his torso?

The dude runs a military organization. You'd assume the guy has access to a whole armory of guns. So why does he have to go to Mikazuki to borrow his personal glock? For what purpose, other than to telegraph a blatant death flag for the audience? Why is he the only person on this commando mission with a gun too? What is even the purpose of bringing Chad and Ride along with him if they're just going to be helpless bullet sponges for him to have to throw his body in front of, rather than visa versa? How did you not plan for this to happen? Do you know how they sneak past enemy lines? They literally drive a car right past them. How do they think nobody will notice that? Why do they offer no protection on themselves for when they inevitably get found? Why did Orga bring two of his better mobile suit pilots with him - who might be needed to help defend HQ - instead of some more expendable muscle?

Also, why is this hit-squad only involve three MiB in a car? This is a military organization hunting wanted criminals, why are they acting like the mob? Why wouldn't they send more people like an entire SWAT or commando unit? Why aren't any of them wearing bulletproof vests? Why aren't they dressed down in military gear if they're justified in hunting wanted war criminals? Why do the shooters peel out as soon as just one of them gets hit? Even though they already lodged a dozen slugs into their target? Even though they overpower their target massively? What kind of shitty soldiers are these?

Furthermore, why does Orga just tank all those bullets? Isn't 101 of Getting Shot At to hit the deck? To reduce the available surface area that a shooter can hit by getting low to the ground? Why didn't he do this? Isn't he a soldier?

I fucking hate this show. It's so bad. The writing is so god awful and grossly unprofessional. Literally all of these complaints above could have been easily accommodated for/solved had someone with half a brain been writing or editing this train wreck. But they're too god damned lazy and/or incompetent. Literally every single moment of the show is like this. Filled with massive amounts of stupidity, where characters act out of character or like they're mentally handicapped in order to service emotional plot beats. It's so incredibly frustrating that Sunrise/Bandai has wasted two years on this garbage when literally anything else they could have been doing would have been a better use of everyone's time.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I'd take more gunpla shows, hell I'd prefer it at this point honestly, unless they replace their writing staff.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM

At this point I'd prefer Doozy Bots
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Inherently Stealthy

SD Gundam would almost certainly be more sophisticated.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:11 AM
The Great

Real talk, SD Gundam Sangokuden was baller af even if it was a kid's show with a silly premise. Lu Bu Tallgeese is my spirit animal.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Not a Beer

Not that it really matters, and I'm totally not defending all the blatant death-flag-abuse which is, in fact, terrible, but just as an inconsequential plot nitpick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Also, why is this hit-squad only involve three MiB in a car? This is a military organization hunting wanted criminals, why are they acting like the mob? Why wouldn't they send more people like an entire SWAT or commando unit? Why aren't any of them wearing bulletproof vests? Why aren't they dressed down in military gear if they're justified in hunting wanted war criminals? Why do the shooters peel out as soon as just one of them gets hit? Even though they already lodged a dozen slugs into their target? Even though they overpower their target massively? What kind of shitty soldiers are these?
I don't think those were Gjallahorn soldiers. I think it basically was a mob hit, possibly ordered by the shady rich dude financing Rustal, who maybe (unlike everyone else) actually had the sense to monitor the local organization that was Tekkadan's main local civilian support.

Orga was probably actually correct that Gjallahorn is too tunnel-visioned to consider anything but major military engagements, because the antagonists are just as short-sighted as the protagonists here. Of course, he should have brought protection anyway for exactly such shenanigans as happened, as he's spent years entangled with actual mob factions anyway, but then, he's never given a second thought to his own safety so why start now.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Orga was probably actually correct that Gjallahorn is too tunnel-visioned to consider anything but major military engagements, because the antagonists are just as short-sighted as the protagonists here. Of course, he should have brought protection anyway for exactly such shenanigans as happened, as he's spent years entangled with actual mob factions anyway, but then, he's never given a second thought to his own safety so why start now.
While I haven't watched any of S2, that's a pretty dramatic change from how Orga treated his engagements with the space mafia in S1. There my memory was that while he was a little bit cavalier, as they didn't have much to lose, he did take steps to ensure there were contingency plans and guarantee his personal safety, as he knew everyone was depending on him.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
I'm still on Gundam AGE
How are you finding it? I remember everyone had their knives out for the show, it came out and everyone hated it as much as they hoped to, and then it feels like no one talked about it anymore.

I could see this potentially as a show that could be better than its very negative contemporaneous reception would indicate. But it also could just be terrible...
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The show peaks about halfway through the second generational arc, I want to say? The third arc is just dire all the way through (which is fitting I guess, since it's supposed to represent modern AU Gundam) with a few bright spots when the second arc protag is on screen.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM

There's an interesting time capsule to be had by going through the posts in this thread from when AGE was airing (at least I think it's this one, might be anime general). They start off mildly positive and are on a general reasonably upward trend for the first 2 arcs and by the end it's just very frustrated and sad.

Tags
ウエアブー , anime , anime ja nai , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , doozy bots , gundam , irritable bowel orphans , toy commercials , zeig zeon