The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
From the sounds of it I think G Gundam was made just for me.
G Gundam is so fantastic. I also like how the American space colony has its very own Statue of Liberty. And before you ask, yes, the torch does conceal a massive laser canon.

The plot is pretty ho-hum though. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy fights a giant robot with a windmill on its chest, boy and girl combine their powers to destroy a mechanical incarnation of the Devil, etc. Standard stuff. But it's very much worth watching to see how crazy it gets.

Plus, I really need to re watch 08th MS Team. I saw it on Toonami a long, long time ago, and really liked what I saw.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM

YouTube has it all uploaded. I watched a few episodes before realizing how boring a lot of this stuff is, so I skipped to episode 10.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
TT Pokemon Champion

Debating whether I should get Gundam Senki when I'm in Japan later this year:

Gundam Senki

I dunno, the actual story seems kind of cool! Like an interactive OVA or something. But I'm wary because the framerate seems kind of low, and Gundam games have a bit of a reputation (though I really enjoyed Gundam Battle Universe).

Sigh, I guess I just have to see it in motion. Hope there's a demo.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

G Gundam is the greatest thing ever. You should watch it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Oh, and then there's SD Gundam. Not the recent SD Gundam Force, which is a crappy cookie-cutter kid's show, but the late-80s to early-90s vintage paraody episodes, which are completely awesome. I wish more of them were easier to track down.
Belay that first part. Superior Defender Gundam is a great entry level Gundam series. Plus, Dai-Shogun of Perfect Virtue (完全善大将軍) increases the awesome factor by 10 just by appearing.

I've seen two of the original SD one shots. They were funny but WEIRD. What's the deal with streaker running around?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Shares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
G Gundam is the greatest thing ever. You should watch it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM

This topic is lacking in Doozy Bots.

No Gundam thread is complete without that.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
The Great

The best part about Doozy Bots is that the kid in the wheelchair gets put in the Guntank.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

There are so many ridiculous parts of that video that I don't know if there is a "best" part. I mean, there's a character called "Tag-a-long". It's...oh man. So funny.

But I think the part where the skater and the guy in the wheelchair somehow fly through the goal post may be the best part, if there is one.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM

There is so much to say about that video, but the part that appeals to me as a Gundam nerd is the fact that all the mecha are OYW-era except for the Jagd Doga.

It's like, "Ok so you're drawing on First Gunda-oh wait, I guess not."
Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
There is so much to say about that video, but the part that appeals to me as a Gundam nerd is the fact that all the mecha are OYW-era except for the Jagd Doga and robot turkey.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:

Uh.. er... ahh... wha?

What does "doozy" even mean in conjuction with "robot." As in it, "it's a doozy?"
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
There's no thread shortag

Please explain to me...as someone whose only experience with giant fighting robots has been Neon Genesis Evangelion and Transformers G1...would you think I would like Gundam? (I hate the original series ending to NGE)

Keep in mind that I find Noir boring, don't see the appeal of Hellsing, find Ranma 1/2 hilarious and don't like the "being japanese" part of Inuyasha, i.e. drawn out fighting scenes, but revel in the japanese demonology the series shows (so far, I've only seen a few episodes when my girlfriend watches it).

Addendum: Detectice Conan makes me wanna do a constant facepalm.

Also: As you see I don't have that much experience with anime...and maybe for the better...I don't know yet.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Please explain to me...as someone whose only experience with giant fighting robots has been Neon Genesis Evangelion and Transformers G1...would you think I would like Gundam? (I hate the original series ending to NGE)
Gundam is an over-the-top space opera, but prides itself on military realism. It's almost completely devoid of mind screws in the NGE sense.

If that sounds appealing to you, then Gundam may be the franchise for you.

I have no idea where anyone should start anymore though. It's hard to ease into this franchise.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Conquers the World

I started with the 0079 compilation movies, so... that.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I started with the 0079 compilation movies, so... that.
Yeah, they're good but... not very well paced.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Hrist View Post
I have no idea where anyone should start anymore though. It's hard to ease into this franchise.
08th MS Team is the right answer. It's short, sweet, and it's got great action and characters. Perhaps most importantly, while it's linked to the original series' continuity, it's mostly its own thing, making it perfect for non-fans.

(Of course, I've heard some fanboys over the years whine about how non-canon it is, but screw that noise.)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
08th MS Team is the right answer. It's short, sweet, and it's got great action and characters. Perhaps most importantly, while it's linked to the original series' continuity, it's mostly its own thing, making it perfect for non-fans.

(Of course, I've heard some fanboys over the years whine about how non-canon it is, but screw that noise.)
That's what I tend to recommend to people who are curious
Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm out

I started with the First Gundam movies too, though I had the synopses on the long-defunct Gundam Project to fill in the gaps. If you do start with the the compilation movies, it might be a good idea to read the reviews of the TV series episodes at MAHQ afterwards. I'm not sure what else I can say about any of Gundam that hasn't been said by someone else already, but my favorites are First, Zeta, and G in that order.

I'm trying to catch the second season of 00 on SciFi just so I can see how they translate the name "Bring Stabbity." Which is a fine name in the long, proud Gundam tradition of bizzare-ass character names.

And yeah, 08th does screw with the continuity of the Universal Century as painstakingly hacked out by the fans up to that point. But Sunrise has a refreshingly laid-back approach to this: everything they produce themselves, contradictory or not, is official and officially happened. With two TV series with compilation movies that shuffle events or change them completely, this is as close as you'll ever get to a company telling you to chill the hell out and believe whatever you want. I really liked that, and Gundam helped cure me of the disease that is "canon."
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM

You should start out with something bitter (Wing) before moving on to something sweet (everything else). Makes it all the more sweeter.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
You should start out with something bitter (Wing) before moving on to something sweet (everything else). Makes it all the more sweeter.
Replace "Wing" with "SEED," and I'll agree ^^
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Hrist View Post
War in the Pocket: Slow start, capped off by two gut-wrenching final episodes. In terms of sheer quality, I think this might be the best Gundam ever.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to watch this again. I should really just pop in the DVDs tonight or something.

Quote:
Char's Counterattack: Too long and poorly paced. Char comes out of nowhere -- all the sudden he's just back and fighting Amuro, like it's One Year War or something. They were practically buddies during Zeta Gundam! And didn't he and Amuro get over Lala during Zeta Gundam? This movie really drove me crazy.
My understanding was that the gap between Zeta and Char's Counterattack was fleshed out in books and radio-dramas, which is why it doesn't seem to really "fit" to someone who has only ever watched the anime.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Like I said above, SEED's made for people who can't stand regular UC Gundam like myself.

(Plus, again... SEED gets hero / villain psychology right, which Gundam often fails spectacularly at. Again, that's a common anime flaw, but SEED avoiding it for the most part was very much appreciated.)
Old 07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Like I said above, SEED's made for people who can't stand regular UC Gundam like myself.

(Plus, again... SEED gets hero / villain psychology right, which Gundam often fails spectacularly at. Again, that's a common anime flaw, but SEED avoiding it for the most part was very much appreciated.)
As a magnificent bastard/psychopath, I liked Rau La Creuset well enough. As Char clones go, he was more consistent than Zechs, who seemed to make decisions quite randomly.

"To show humans how awful war is... I'm going to start a war and plunge the earth into an ice age by driving my ship into it! That'll learn 'em."

But then, Wing was mostly just silly fun, as I already said.

Why don't you like UC Gundam?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
I'm trying to catch the second season of 00 on SciFi just so I can see how they translate the name "Bring Stabbity." Which is a fine name in the long, proud Gundam tradition of bizzare-ass character names.
My guess is that the translators got to the first mention of Bring Stabbity and their brains just locked up, rendering them comatose. The broadcast will just end abruptly at the episode that comes before.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
My guess is that the translators got to the first mention of Bring Stabbity and their brains just locked up, rendering them comatose. The broadcast will just end abruptly at the episode that comes before.
I'm looking forward to watching Season 2 more everyday.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Banned

Oh, Bring Stabbity is just the beginning. Just wait until they introduce Revive Revival and Healing Care.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Wing I'd have liked more if I'd seen it before SEED, I suppose. I could handle ONE whiny Kira, maybe two with Athrun's occasional whining (by the time Destiny rolled around, I'd practically be screaming "GROW A SACK, ALREADY!" at him a couple times an episode*), but all five of the leads just had me grinding my teeth.

That's why SEED was so successful for me - whenever Kira would get whiny, they'd have Mu come in and do his Roy Fokker thing, Kira would crack a smile (or do that creepy blushing that I'm sure all the fangirls went crazy for) and things would lighten up a bit. Heck, they even got in a legitimately funny gag (incredibly rare for Gundam) when the Captain asked Mu what they needed to give Kira to snap him out of a funk, and he stared at her tits by way of response.

* - Kelly's theory, which she's telling me over my shoulder as I type this and now threatening to grab the laptop for revealing..., is that SEED pilots are less annoying the more sex they're having. Given Kira's growth as a character after getting... well, not raped, but certainly not entirely consenting of his free will... by Flay, there's something to that. Athrun's avoidance of the half-dozen women who want to fuck him at various points over the course of 100 episodes might be a big reason he wasn't very likeable.

Quote:
As a magnificent bastard/psychopath, I liked Rau La Creuset well enough. As Char clones go, he was more consistent than Zechs, who seemed to make decisions quite randomly.
I really didn't like how they used him as the last boss (for want of a better term) at the end of the series. They'd been setting him up against Flaga the entire way through, but suddenly it was as if everyone realised "oh, shit, we don't have someone for Kira to go one-on-one with in the last episode since we turned everyone else face" and POOF! Flaga gets killed off in Episode 49 (in admittedly heroic fashion) and Freedom gets to duel with Providence.

Of course, the stumbles in that last episode were just a sign of things to come....

Oh, and G Gundam is awesome, even if you're more likely to have more fun just grabbing some action figures and playing out the duels yourself. But by capturing that feeling on-screen, it really does succeed in every possible way.

Last edited by Sven; 07-06-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Space Prez

Quote:

Wow. You have stunned me with Gundam. Congratz.

I counter with Gundam 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Please explain to me...as someone whose only experience with giant fighting robots has been Neon Genesis Evangelion and Transformers G1...would you think I would like Gundam? (I hate the original series ending to NGE).
Do you like robots in space? There are other shows you may like more!
Do you like robots and socio-political intrigue in space? And a lot of time to kill? Pull up a seat.

The cynic in me says if you have to ask, you probably won't like it. But I would also recommend dipping your toes in 08th MS Team for both it's awesomeness and (relative) shortness.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 PM

From what I've seen of NGE, I seriously think the mech battles in Gundam are superior. Though obviously that would depend on which Gundam series but I'll play it safe and shake 08th MS Team in everyone's face yet again. Gundam Wing has some excellent fights too! It's not all for loss on that front.

Tags
ウエアブー , anime , anime ja nai , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , doozy bots , gundam , irritable bowel orphans , toy commercials , zeig zeon