The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Really! But once you've seen the new models you'll want to throw your old ones away.
Meat and potatos of the army is the 6 skimmers, 100 warriors and a dozen incubi, all of which have pretty decent models. If I can pick up new commanders/elites/wych models that don't suck....

Did they make mandrakes or scourge worthwhile?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Meat and potatos of the army is the 6 skimmers, 100 warriors and a dozen incubi, all of which have pretty decent models. If I can pick up new commanders/elites/wych models that don't suck....

Did they make mandrakes or scourge worthwhile?
Old Incubi:

New Incubi:

New Wyches:

I haven't had a lot of time to sit down with the codex, but according to a site I trust everything in the codex is solid including the mandrakes (also have bitching new models) and the scourge as well as new things like a Talos alternative and some of the Haemuncluaes (sp?) creations
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comb Stranger View Post
...You know they came out six years ago, right?
And are no longer available on the GW store.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
TARANTUL

The old Incubi (especially the ones that came with Vect who everyone uses as a master) are my favorite models in the army. New ones don't look bad, but they don't say "Corrupted Striking Scorpion" as strongly to me, and that's a shame...
Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
And are no longer available on the GW store.
Well judging by the dark eldar you'll only have to wait about 5 years between when you army is pulled off the shelf to when it's reintroduced.

Also that hilarious recent "update" to the codex was great. My brother got all excited when he saw a new PDF for witchhunters on the website, and it turns out it's just the old codex with everything pertaining to allies stripped out of it. You're amazing sometimes, GW.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Safe Space

Scuttlebutt has it that the Sororitas are going to be included in the rumored "Inquisition" army, which probably won't come out until next year.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Erudite Swine

So this page here selling them isn't actually selling them?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Safe Space

Ah, good point. And yet something's still troubling me... What was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW Store
Three figures for $20.75
Oh yes, that.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Erudite Swine

Yeeeeeah, that's never gonna change. I got in years ago when troop boxes were $25 instead of $35, and you could get them from a third-party retailer at a 20% discount. If you're really set on starting at some point, e-Bay is your best friend. You can usually get them pre-painted, too, which is better than naked pewter until you can get the time and motivation to paint them all yourself.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
and ermine, too

Guess why my 1000~ points of orks never had grots! It's because of the price of pewter in China.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

So I actually saw some of the plastic Warmachine models today. It's an interesting idea, a box of parts that can be used to make one of several different models depending on their configuration. They still cost the same, but for the price of one model and some rare earth magnets to hold the pieces in place non-permanently, you basically get three. As long as you aren't too eager to use them all at the same time, of course. I wonder if that's what Privateer had in mind when they came up with the idea?

Of course, the entire idea only works for factions that have warjacks with a unified look (hello Cygnar!) and it'll probably be impossible for Hordes models. Such a shame.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
So I actually saw some of the plastic Warmachine models today. It's an interesting idea, a box of parts that can be used to make one of several different models depending on their configuration. They still cost the same, but for the price of one model and some rare earth magnets to hold the pieces in place non-permanently, you basically get three. As long as you aren't too eager to use them all at the same time, of course. I wonder if that's what Privateer had in mind when they came up with the idea?

Of course, the entire idea only works for factions that have warjacks with a unified look (hello Cygnar!) and it'll probably be impossible for Hordes models. Such a shame.
It's a really nice idea and is excellent for the few people who are still playing the game small. But with the last few expansions Warmachines and Hordes seems to be moving away from a squad based game to an army one. What with calvary and heavy support weapon models being introduced...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Erudite Swine

At least nothing they put out will be as ridiculous as the Manta.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comb Stranger View Post
At least nothing they put out will be as ridiculous as the Manta.

please tell me that isn't you with that model...
Old 11-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Whoever it is, they look confused and dismayed at their possession of that model.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:58 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
please tell me that isn't you with that model...
Hair's the correct color, but that's no Comb Stranger.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Erudite Swine

No, that's not me.

I scratch built my superheavy star destroyer.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 AM

OK. So. It actually DOES open up, able to house 40 or so standard scale little tau dudes in it...

... in the form of custom-sculpted sitting-in-chairs minis. Wow. That was ALMOST a conceivable thin justification for it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
TARANTUL

Are the guns detachable drones like the other Tau models?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
OK. So. It actually DOES open up, able to house 40 or so standard scale little tau dudes in it...

... in the form of custom-sculpted sitting-in-chairs minis. Wow. That was ALMOST a conceivable thin justification for it.
no its not. There is no way to ever justify buying that thing. Especially because its resin and if someone bumps it, it will fall apart.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Erudite Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Are the guns detachable drones like the other Tau models?
The burst cannons all over it are drone-controlled longbarrelled burst cannon turrets. They don't detach, but there is sixteen of them. Along with the ion batteries and missile pods, it fires 68 shots, plus two heavy railgun blasts, plus its seeker missile batteries. Every round. And it has ten structure points and an invulnerable forcefield. It is laserdeath incarnate, and can deploy an entire 2000-point mechanized army in a single round, right on the objective.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Whoever it is, they look confused and dismayed at their possession of that model.
Maybe because he just realized he could have bought two or three armies worth of regular models instead, or an enormous television, or taken a girl out on several dozen dates. He, or someone he knew, just made a bad life choice.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Super Nerd

Quote:
but for the price of one model and some rare earth magnets to hold the pieces in place non-permanently, you basically get three.
They're held together with magnets?! That's the coolest thing!

My coworker is heavy into Warmachine. It sounds kind of nifty, but when she gets started talking about it she starts going into the very nitty gritty of the rules with no explanation and I just sort of nod and occasionally say something like "I think the zombies are pretty cool looking."

To which she always says, "You mean the ____?" Where ____ is the actual name of the thing I can't seem to keep in my head.

I always wanted to play tabletop games when I was a kid. I had one or two of the GW collaborations released to general toy stores. I know one of them had a huge plastic mat.

The shop in which I play Magic is starting to get into 40k and some of the Privateer stuff. One day, perhaps.

I feel this is relevant to this thread:

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Erudite Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
They're held together with magnets?! That's the coolest thing!
They're not, by default. It's a common trick hobbyists use for models whose only appreciable difference is their mounted weapons. It's not much harder than gluing them, and you can swap things out indefinitely.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Yeah, what Comb Stranger said. It's not normally done with Warmachine/Hordes since they use pewter models which have pretty much no customization beyond their paint job, which means both that the parts are too heavy to use the magnets and that there's no point to doing so. With these new plastic models Privateer's putting out for Warmachine, however, the magnetizing thing can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
My coworker is heavy into Warmachine. It sounds kind of nifty, but when she gets started talking about it she starts going into the very nitty gritty of the rules with no explanation and I just sort of nod and occasionally say something like "I think the zombies are pretty cool looking."

To which she always says, "You mean the ____?" Where ____ is the actual name of the thing I can't seem to keep in my head.
The Cryx, I'm guessing. They have normal zombies and their warjacks (the giant robot units) are made out of dead bodies. They were the first Warmachine army I ever played and I couldn't remember their name for years afterward myself (note that I've actually played exactly one game of Warmachine and one of Hordes, I just wish I could play more often).

And yeah, that's not a good way to get someone into the game. The rules are of standard or even light complexity for a tabletop minis game (so still plenty of nitty gritty) but they really require context to make them interesting, even if that context is just sitting you down in front of an army and going "This is your giant robot. You'll notice one arm is a ball-and-chain cannon. Here's how you can fire it halfway across the table at my giant werewolf: (rules rules rules)."

Getting straight into the rules of any minis game is probably an awful way to get someone into the hobby if they don't already like tabletop wargames, come to think of it.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Erudite Swine

I skimmed the rulebook and saw that there were rules for suplexing another steambot through a brick wall.

Then I remembered that I had no money, and I was sad.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM
and ermine, too

More importantly, it seems to be compatible with the game that has this mini:

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Erudite Swine

The luchadile.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
More importantly, it seems to be compatible with the game that has this mini
Yeah, Warmachine and Hordes, despite slight differences in aesthetics (one is giant steambots and the other is giant monsters) and mechanics (resource management vs. risk management), are completely compatible.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
More importantly, it seems to be compatible with the game that has this mini:
I was always partial to the voodoo crocodile, myself.

Tags
warhammer 40k , warmachine