The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-13-2015, 06:00 PM

Admittedly the league I'm playing in starts at a really low point level. (250) And so far both the games I played in ended up with me vs a melee army. I'm playing skitarii and each time I rolled you fire Overwatch at BS4. It ended the second they tried to get in.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM

So I messed with the nuln oil today and it gave my skitarii this really nasty oiled up look like they'd been splashed with it everywhere I love it! I'll post up pictures tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM
An Animal of Joy

Nice, maybe I just got a bad batch then.

Is your group playing with enough terrain? That can really hamstring melee units, and it seems way more common in my experience to see tables with too little terrain. Though I've definitely seen some with too much, it's a lot less common. I saw some pictures of a game my brother was playing with 8 large ruined buildings, and other small terrain and little streets that could get clogged by a single vehicle. I guess he had fun but it looked like a nightmare to me.

I've got a 7th edition manual in the mail, but I haven't got it yet. Is overwatch firing stronger for all units now, or is that specific to the skitarii?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Skitarii have a special warlord trait that says you fire at ballistic skills 4 for your unit. Dark Angels has one as well that makes them fire at ballistic skills period. Normally Overwatch is at 2BS
Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM

Will upload better pictures when I have access to a better camera.

Edit: Fixed, things I need to do eyework. First time painting a 40k model though.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:17 PM
An Animal of Joy

Yeah those are pretty impressionistic.

Did you just luck out then, don't you have to roll warlord traits randomly?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Yeah with the 7th rules you can basically reroll twice. Once for being CAD once for being part of the skitarii formation. I fixed the original post.

Combo Edit:This really helped me out in figuring things out.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default No interest in playing but this model is on fleek

Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
borgn

Well they discontinued Hobbit/LOTR anyway, which means that all the models and gaming material ever released for it can no longer be used and must be thrown down a well or other convenient never-to-return receptacle

E: also, overwatch is BS 1 normally. I definitely know this because when my Boyz overwatch it only reduces their BS by one :P
Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 AM
An Animal of Joy

Played some 2v2 X-Wing tonight. I had a ball with Deathrain a TIE Punisher pilot who can lay bombs forward or aft, then barrel roll, along with cluster mines, connor net, and the extra munitions upgrade, and the scope that has you activate at pilot skill zero. He was definitely MVP on our (losing) side. Probably because it minimized luck and the other side's dice were on fire. It's fun to see Scum beat the Empire at least.

We took down Bossc's Houndstooth, but the headhunter he escaped in turned out to be a massive thorn in our side. It was great.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post

E: also, overwatch is BS 1 normally. I definitely know this because when my Boyz overwatch it only reduces their BS by one :P
Haha whoops! My bad!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Safe Space

I need some suggestions for miniature paints. My collection of acrylics is very old and gritty, and I'd like to replace it with something better, but I don't know much about the paints on the market. I went to a game store and was overwhelmed by the selection on display... So, what would those of you who paint miniatures suggest to start with?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 PM

I've always stuck with citadel for the most part as the selection is very easy with the whole base, shade, wash being labeled, but I've began to dip into the vallejo. My only major experience is with Citadel.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM
An Animal of Joy

I would recommend Vallejo. It has good pigment quality and coverage, and the eye-dropper bottles are really nice. Just get a cheap little plastic paint palette (or use an old plate or something) to put a few drops at a time on and they'll go a really long way.

Citadel it about the same quality, but the pots are more expensive and wasteful. They have a couple special effects paints for rusts, stains, etc. and that's about all I get from them.

I don't recommend general craft paints because they have crappy pigment content, or artist paints because they usually form too thick of a film. Golden Fluid and Extra Fluid are the exception, but they're pretty expensive if you don't have them around for other stuff.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I'm tempted to get Star Wars Armada while it's cheap-ish on coolstuff for Halloween. This is balanced against the fact that it's still not really cheap (half off is still fifty bucks!), the only expansions they have in stock right now seem to be just more of what's already in the starter kit, and I just made a big order from them last week already.

Odds are still good I'm going to bite.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Because I'm really self conscious about colors I'm looking at advice for color combos. I'm thinking black with gold trim and royal purple for minor details. This is for eldar and mostly the jetbikes.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 PM
An Animal of Joy

I kind of think black is a bit of a boring comfort zone for a lot of people. Like, they want their models to look like little badasses but it just ends up hiding a lot of volume and detail. I think an almost black, like a navy blue or very dark purple, paired with a lighter purple would be more fun and expressive. I think the eldar look great and will be pretty hard to mess up though.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Work is hosting X-Wing regional championships. More than 100 players registered so far, the total may crack the 128 mark. This is going to be NUTS.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Oh man, I'd like to see that.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Total reg is over 120. (We cut off pre-reg Tuesday night.) Assuming not too many people drop, this will be the biggest X-Wing tourney on the American continent to date.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM

So DBZ is getting a miniatures game from Jasco games. I'm not sure how well its gonna do. There's only so many characters.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Each character will have variant models/stats for every power level they ever hit in the show.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Each character will have variant models/stats for every power level they ever hit in the show.
There's a drinking game in there somewhere.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

*Kicks down door*

HEY MAN, I LIKE COOL MINIATURES

I LIKE GAMES

I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF WAR, TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, BUT WE GOT TWO OUT OF THREE OKAY, RIGHT

I EVEN BOUGHT ONE OF THESE ALMOST OUT OF DATE RULEBOOKS, MAN

LET ME GET IN ON SOME OF *sees price tag on a miniature*

*walks out*

*walks back in, picks up a Warmachine Menoth battlegroup box*

*walks out a second time*

*walks back in*

*stares at Scyrah battlegroup box*

*sweats*

EDIT: While this is mostly just a joke, I did end up grabbing Captain Victoria Haley and a Lancer. For some reason, after seeing a Warjack named Lancer, I just had to have one laying around.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 05-22-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

If you're interested in picking up a game Warmachine's not a bad game to get into for a beginner, either. The rules are simple (which is a very relative term when talking about miniatures wargames, admittedly) and the scenarios tend to revolve around fairly small skirmishes instead of something like Warhammer's brigade-on-brigade action. And most established players will have an extra army they won't mind loaning you for a training/hooking-you-on-the-crack session.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I've got a buddy I'm getting into it with. We're mostly just doing it for cool minis and an excuse to play with paint and styrofoam and paints and flock, etc.

Reading the (soon-to-be-obsolete) Prime mk2 rules, it's not complicated at all, really. Peanuts compared to D&D 3.* or Pathfinder. A large amount of the rules chunk of the book seems dedicated to being very thorough about explaining the rules, rather than having a bunch of rules.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Oily Butt Thing

fairly heavy 40K nerdery, but: work is hosting a big tournament today and a guy with a Tau army rolled up with a KX139. thing is about a foot and a half tall.

I like how there is a character in the 40K fluff whose whole deal is that he infuriates the bureaucracy running the Tau empire because he constantly ignores their orders to stop building bigger and bigger and more overpowered battlesuits. There's a funny kind of meta-joke going on there.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM
An Animal of Joy

I might get one of those when I'm done painting my Stormsurge. With the GBP down it's not that much more expensive. First things first though, i'm working on a 30k army for the Nova Open in august. going good so far!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Remembers Love

I don't play Warhammer, but I have to admit I like the aesthetics of this new faction. Not too m'lady cogfap, and not too as much of a space marine riff as the stormcaste or whatevers.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM
An Animal of Joy

I think if I ever got into Age of Sigmar I would be interested in those. Ranks a little below ogres or lizardmen for me, but only just.

Tags
warhammer 40k , warmachine