The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure Four View Post
I AM AMPLE VIGOUR
You got good taste in comics about guys punching one another in the mouth. Worst is equal parts yakuza movie and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. You have guys uniting under charismatic warlords and giving speeches about the nature of true bravery and honor. Then you have entire chapters spent waiting for someone to finish taking a shit. Shonen Champion, how I love your taste in series.

I can't say I love Baki so much as I can't tear my eyes away from it. It's a trainwreck of hellish art, bizzaro writing and pacing so uneven that I'm certain the writers simply forget entire story arcs.

Who am I kidding? I love that shit.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Er, quite definitely on the violence, but the rape thing was only at the end of the flashback arc when Griffin went all demon and Guts went nuts.
Don't forget the sultan who populates his army entirely with halfbreeds born from his demon rape factory.

EDIT: Doublepost. Yuck.

Last edited by Ample Vigour; 02-07-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

I should really get back to Battle Angel Alita. I haven't read past Volume 5. And that was...back in 2005?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Panicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Don't forget the sultan who populates his army entirely with halfbreeds born from his demon rape factory.
Or, you know, the troll rape orgy during the arc where they're defending that village.

Or the part in the flashback where Wyald rapes a girl and then throws her impaled corpse at Guts.

And that's just the non-consensual stuff!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Late reply, but I'm another one on the anti-Trigun bandwagon. I kept with it for 6 volumes thinking for some reason that Nightow was just inexperienced and he would improve with time, but somehow the panel layouts managed to get worse as it went along. It's a shame too, because I like his artwork.

Ghost in the Shell might not be better than Stand-Alone Complex, but I'd say it's still worth a read. Stay away from Man-Machine Interface though, it's actually less readable than Trigun.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten Ghost in the Shell. Still need to read 1.5. ...And Shirow's other stuff.

Not sure how well this has aged over time, but I do remember Real Bout High School being at least a fun little diversion. Though I was in 8th and 9th grade when I was reading it, and haven't looked at it since.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
Real Bout High School
Wretched. And the anime managed to be even worse.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Recommendations of only things not mentioned so far (that I saw, barring ninja-edits or my own negligence):
Kimagure Orange Road (Mason Ikkuku-era stuff)
Monster (from the guy who did 20th Century Boys)
Akira (at least it's much more intelligible than the movie)
Sexy Voice and Robo (short!, I think it was left unfinished though)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Little Waves

If the Orange Road manga is half as dumb as the anime, I'd say avoid it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM
D=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
What's your main beef with the show?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Designated Antagonist

Stuff I don't think most people have mentioned:
Fruits Basket
Hikaru No Go
Kare Kano (first 12 volumes for sure, after that it slips a little)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days
Short Program

Stuff that bears repeating:
Azumanga Daioh
Blade of the Immortal
Honey & Clover
Nausicaa
Neon Genesis Evangelion (non-Angelic Days)

Endless Yet Amusing Shonen/Shojo manga:
Bleach
Naruto (really!)
Love * Com (this one might just be me)
Skip Beat
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
What's your main beef with the show?
The protagonist is torn inextricably between a troubled but beautiful badass and an bitchy, clingy genki-girl with an ugly haircut. Even given numerous opportunities and nearly fifty episodes to make the obvious choice, he still mutters "Uh well gosh I dunno" and resolves nothing.

Also, there's a whole ongoing sub-plot about him having super powers that he needs to hide at all costs, which also never goes anywhere other than tovoccasionally set up some wacky predicaments. It's not like he even needs a secret identity to protect his loved ones, either, since his entire family has the same powers. There's no real reason for all the tension -- except that Japanese society hates anyone who's different, I guess.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Wretched. And the anime managed to be even worse.
Haha. I remember seeing some of the anime. And had to wonder how they got...that.

These days I've gotten more selective with manga, and it's a shame the ones I read and/or look for don't seem widely available in Borders or Barnes and Noble. Yes, Tezuka's Buddha is in Barnes and Noble, though after a while they don't seem to really have the volumes I look for. Hopefully one of them carries 20th Century Boys when it hits the U.S.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Placeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefor View Post
Endless Yet Amusing Shonen/Shojo manga:

Sasuke
Fixed.

Unless they've been giving the titular character more page time since last year.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Oh yeah. Shit hath happened in the last two months.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM
What Time Is It?

I absolutely love Cromartie High School as the super serious tough guy art just makes the situations even funnier.

Isn't the translation of Cromartie also incomplete?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
this is fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Third: Challenge: name some series that are a) good, and b) less than 10 volumes. Bonus points if less than 5. I cannot get interested in 20+ volume series that are still ongoing. Your shit is not that interesting to read, author guy.
1. Real; Takehiko Inoue's gritty sports manga about wheelchair basketball. WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL!; 8 volumes and ongoing.

2. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service; Unemployed buddhist university graduates find unclaimed corpses, commune with them and grant their last requests while extorting them for money; 9 volumes and ongoing

3. Ooku; Fumi Yoshinaga's post-apocalyptic gender relations masterpiece set in an AU shogunate era Japan where a plague has wiped out most of the male population; 4 volumes and ongoing

4. Liar Game; imagine what Death Note would be like if Misa weren't as ditzy and Light wasn't a megalomanic sociopath; 7 volumes and ongoing

5. Detroit Metal City; A very shy and timid loser who's alter ego is the foul-mouthed lead singer of a death metal band; 6 volumes and ongoing

6. Children of the Sea; Scientists discover these two mer-children and placed in an aquarium where they're befriended by the daughter of one of the aquarium workers; 3 volumes and ongoing

7. Sexy Voice and Robo; She's a middle-school girl who works for a phone-dating service and wants to someday be a spy. He's a bumbling otaku and one of her clients. Together they fight crime!; 2 volumes on hiatus

8. Ohikkoshi; Samura's slice of life manga about aimless college students. Think of it as a much grittier Honey & Clover; 1 volume

9. The Embalmer; Main character's an embalmer working in Japan. Since most of Japan cremates the dead embalming is not a common practice so there's a lot of misunderstanding and discrimination towards people in that profession. Hey it's entertainment that is also educational; 4 volumes.

10. Astral Project; By the same author as Oldboy. About this guy who's trying to discover the mystery about his sister's death after an out of body experience happens to him when he listen to a jazz CD that she was listening to when she died and he meets other people that can roam around the astral plane; 4 volumes?

11. Paradise Kiss; Ai Yazawa's manga about a straight-laced high school student who falls in with a bunch of bohemian fashion design school students who convince her to model stuff for them. It first ran in a women's fashion magazine I believe.; 5 volumes

And I'm cheatin' and stretching it a bit but feels these need mentioning:

12. Mushishi; ooh what a lovely article kirin has written about it; 10 volumes

13. Parasyte; alien parasites that can transform themselves into anything land on earth, infect the heads of humans and killing them, which make them look like normal human beings that can change their appearances or turn their heads into nightmarish monstrosities start killing and feeding off the human population in secret. Main character has a parasite that infected his right hand instead of his head so he's still alive and so is his parasite and they form an uneasy symbiotic relationship/alliance as both of them try not to get killed by both of the rest of their kinds; 10 volumes

14. After School Nightmare; main character is a hermaphrodite who's been living his life as a male though he encounters a big problem when he has his first period. He's enrolled in a special class where every week once a week where he shares a dream with the other students in his class in order to graduate where his secret is revealed in the most unpleasant manner possible all the while he's trying to reveal the secret identities of his classmates because he can't live with the thought of not knowing who knows his secret.; 10 volumes

I also second recommendations of Hour of the Mice (4 volumes), Song of the Hanging Sky (2? and ongoing), and Me and My Devil Blues (4 volumes and ongoing).
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 AM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Kare Kano (first 12 volumes for sure, after that it slips a little)
Man, this series starts off so, so great, and then just turns into standard shoujo slop.

Quote:
Love * Com (this one might just be me)
No, Love * Com is really sweet and fun.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baron View Post
Unless they've been giving the titular character more page time since last year.
Oh, they've done one better and made him into the main character again. As in, he's really the main character again.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

I bought all the I''s manga books and I regret nothing!

Other stuff that's made it into my shelves:
  • Battle Angel Alita: Last Order
  • Black Jack
  • Buddha
  • Cromartie
  • Death Note
  • Eagle
  • Eden: It's an Endless World
  • Kare Kano
  • Monster
  • Parasyte
  • Phoenix
  • Planetes
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Yotsuba&!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamacuhsuckit View Post
I just downloaded the Nausicaa manga on accident, thinking it was the anime. Is it better?
Much. But it deserves better than being read on a computer screen, it's not overly long, and the volumes should be easy to find.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

Quote:
Death Note is only six and a half volumes if you know better.
Really, if you're going to get that far into Death Note, you may as well go all the way because the ending is fantastic. The anime condenses the second half of the series nicely, but it also fucks up the ending.

Quote:
Stuff I don't think most people have mentioned:
Fruits Basket
Second'd. It's a shojo series, but there's a dark, compelling plot driving it.

If you want pure shojo for some reason though, I have a soft spot for My Heavenly Hockey Club.

Quote:
Stuff that bears repeating:
Azumanga Daioh
Another series I need to polish off. I liked the anime well enough, but I find the manga is far better.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
Really, if you're going to get that far into Death Note, you may as well go all the way
Agreed. The 2nd part really jumps the shark near the very start with the hilariously bad Light's dad as Rambo schtick, where the plots were awful and the pacing indicated that they were going to drag the series on forever.

However, they recovered pretty damn well not too long after hitting rock bottom, probably because the horrible choices in the early parts of the second half forced them to find a way to end it quickly or risk killing the brand, which in turn made the story much better.

(Note that they weren't adverse to killing the brand, they just wanted to do it via live action L spin off movies rather than ruining the manga. I can't stand the actor who plays L.)
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Really, if you're going to get that far into Death Note, you may as well go all the way because the ending is fantastic. The anime condenses the second half of the series nicely, but it also fucks up the ending.
The entire second half is terrible, including the ending. Especially the ending. Just about anything else would have been better than some snotty twelve-year-old coming out of nowhere to thoroughly drag both L and Light's names through the mud, ha ha, the end.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 AM
A tasty beverage

Quote:
I will have to agree here. No one can dispute that the first part is the best part, but despite the horror that is the second part, at least I really liked the ending.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:28 AM
First Crusade! Judge!

Eh, I wasn't a fan of the final twist, and N is a thoroughly unlikeable hooker.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's half as dumb, not twice as dumb, as the anime. Therefore it's actually MUCH BETTER than the anime.

Honestly, the anime was really really bad compared to the manga.

Less focus on the 'magic' power of the main guy and much, much more about a love triangle and him trying to do what he thinks is right. The power (teleportation as I recall) is mainly there as a plot device, an additional way to show how he tries to make everyone else happy at his own expense.

You have to understand, the 'cute and nice' blond girl that likes him idolizes the 'secretly nice bad girl' brunette and is her best friend. He can't dump the blond to date the brunette because he'd knowingly break a girl's heart and destroy a close friendship, AND still not get the brunette.

It's a no win situation.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Little Waves

That's a good way to put it, because I found it totally frustrating and unfulfilling. Thank god for Maison Ikkoku.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I haven't bought any manga in a couple of years, and my appetite for it has been kind of on the wane for a while, but a few titles really jump out in my mind:

- Battle Angel Alita
- Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
- Blade of the Immortal

Also, Parish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
- Strider Hiryu
Please, please tell me this is out in English. I have a fascination for the concept of Strider that I am not quite sure I can explain, but if this is in English, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Little Waves

Sadly, it's not, and it's obscure enough that it probably never will be, officially. The Japanese version has been scanned in full in the hopes that it might get a fan translation, but apparently, it's proven too obscure for even that.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations