The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 AM

so I decided to make my own chili roasted sweet potatoes because of you... I went a little different using flakes instead of powder but it's still ++

also tried to go off recipe with tofu ricotta (although not actually looking for a substitute because ricotta sucks as a main flavoring for a dish) for some pasta and it was mostly good but a little bland. Nutritional yeast goes a long way in preventing that but there's still a sort of lightness I wasn't super happy with. But I added giardiniera so it's good anyway.

maybe i'll take pictures at lunch but i wouldn't count on it.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I slow cooked a Japanese curry. I was a bit worried when I got home since I was in a rush to get it ready this morning and I found I was short on certain ingredients. It turned out good, but I could taste some of my mistakes (I wish I could find star anise, but I had to make do with some bottled anise seed and also, I ran out of regular curry powder, so I used a garam masala mix). All the same it tasted pretty good and will make some good lunches for tomorrow and next week.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Resistance

I'm getting better at making pasta.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Is there not one thing

No pics because it looks like dog food, but BBQ baked beans are hell of easy and hell of tasty
Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
アヘ顔と加瀬さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
No pics because it looks like dog food, but BBQ baked beans are hell of easy and hell of tasty
C'mon man, calling Falselogic a dog is a low blow
Old 01-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
C'mon man, calling Falselogic a dog is a low blow
To the dog, maybe. When I used to give hot dogs to my childhood dog, he'd shake the wiener out of the bun and leave it on the ground, eating only the bun. Dogs know what's up.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM
アヘ顔と加瀬さん

you're right, it's not fair to dogs to call either False or that meal one
Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Falsedogic?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Yesterday at the local makerspace we made molds and chocolates. I was the cameraman for this video and a friend did the narrating and work.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 AM

i forgot what i was going to cook half way through and my rice was starting to get cooking so i ended up mixing some tempeh and purple sweet potato that i sauteed and was letting simmer in a red curry with some dino kale that i braised with a little red wine and it ended up going really well together. it was a pretty fruity shiraz for those wondering.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Teriyaki pork stir-fry, served over brown rice. Got leftovers for daaaaays. The rice absorbs the flavour too so it's delicious all the way down. And hey, I'm finally eating my vegetables.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM
contains words & diagrams

Big ol pot of veggie fried rice! Nothing fancy, just garlic and ginger in oil to coat the rice and chopped up red and green peppers an a red onion with soy sauce and sesame oil. I'm so excited because I'm a scrub who's never made home made fried rice before and it came out so good! I never realized that the thing that makes it come together is frying an egg or two in the mix.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Big ol pot of veggie fried rice! Nothing fancy, just garlic and ginger in oil to coat the rice and chopped up red and green peppers an a red onion with soy sauce and sesame oil. I'm so excited because I'm a scrub who's never made home made fried rice before and it came out so good! I never realized that the thing that makes it come together is frying an egg or two in the mix.
Egg adds body to a lot of great noodle dishes. I realized this myself the first time I made pad thai, and it's what made it all feel like the pad thai everyone knows and loves.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I made vegetable fritters the other day for the first time and they were pretty darn amazing. Definitely putting these in the rotation.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I made baked breaded fish this weekend, I can't remember the last time I've made fish any way other than grilling.

It was fun! The breading was pecans ground up in the food processor and panko, then I used this spice (since for some reason we didn't have plain paprika) and greek yogurt as a batter. Baked on a wire rack on a baking pan and came out really well. Going to try it again for sure.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks for noticing me

QUICHE

Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Resistance

Careful of any rat creatures around.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Christmas Witch

I realized how easy it is to stir fry chicken to put into a caesar-esque salad
Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Not a Beer

I finally got a really fantastic batch of caramelized onions out of my slow-cooker. I mean, I still burned a bit around the heating spots which will be a pain to scrape off (which I think is unavoidable for me with this method because the pot's Low setting isn't hot enough to truly caramelize, but I can't be arsed to get off my computer every half-hour-to-hour it would take to stir it enough to avoid the burn spots), but the rest is the most delightful super-dark-brown sweet jammy delicacy. *insert finger-kiss emoji*

Did two things differently this time: started by nuking the sliced onions in a big bowl for around 12 minutes (stirring a couple times). This seems to successfully soften them up without changing the end result and means you can get a really deep caramelization done in the slow-cooker in under eight hours. Other times I've had to stop when they weren't as done as I'd like because I didn't trust cooking them overnight.

The other thing was adding several tablespoons of brown sugar to the pot. It feels a little like cheating, but I think it mostly helps get things started. I'd probably go with a little less next time. In any event, they came out amazing.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I finally got a really fantastic batch of caramelized onions out of my slow-cooker. I mean, I still burned a bit around the heating spots which will be a pain to scrape off (which I think is unavoidable for me with this method because the pot's Low setting isn't hot enough to truly caramelize, but I can't be arsed to get off my computer every half-hour-to-hour it would take to stir it enough to avoid the burn spots)
Maybe you could buy something like this?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Not a Beer

Cute, but I'm not sure it would work very well for onions. Plus you really only want them stirred occasionally or they won't caramelize properly; I see it does have an intermittent setting but it would need to be adjustable to *really* long waits.

Tags
cooking , faaaaabulous , tyrant photos