The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Belated father's day feast today. I did the following on the grill:

Two 7 lb. pork shoulders for barbecue.
1 lb. hot air dried sausage.
2 lbs. hot fresh sausage.
1.5 lbs chorizo.
Fresh local silver queen corn.

The chorizo was a real hit. The redneck sausage place makes the best Mexican sausage, who knew?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
General Error

I cooked a recipe named Martini chicken today.
The chicken is cut into 4 parts seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika, roasted gently and then cooked in 1/4 liters of dry vermouth (Martini) with 3-4 whole tomatoes for half an hour at medium heat with a cover.
Than the chicken is taken out, the sauce is cooked for about 10 minutes at high temperature without a cover, add 100g of cream and seasoned to taste with garlic, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper. The chicken is than cooked in the sauce for another 5 minutes at low heat.
Served with baguette to soak up the sauce. It's delicious and came out great for the first try. Wish I had a camera to take pictures.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
...but WHEN?

I've been trying to make a puppet show for 3 hours. In my haste to cook something quickly before I go to bed, I have crafted a hot-dog-garlic-omelette sandwich. Is there an opposite of the bragging thread?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Not cooked today, but dinner: Portuguese sausage (reheated from yesterday), think cut sourdough bread (that I baked on Saturday), toasted with lots of butter, and a fresh orange.

I'm not entirely sure this meal could be any more awesome.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
troublemaker

My sandwich is nothing special (corned beef, spinach and spring mix salad greens, tomato, fucking fantastic mustard from Leavenworth, Smart Balance mayo), but I'm pretty happy with the homemade black bean salsa I made a couple of days ago. Black beans (duh), shoepeg corn, yellow and orange peppers, tomatoes, and green chiles marinating for two days in a zesty lime vinaigrette. I'm going to have to put more lime juice in it next time for extra kick, but I have to admit it's pretty good.

(Too bad I'm the only one in this house who likes salsa and mustard, because I have enough of both to last me quite a while.)
Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

Chocolate cheesecake cupcakes with chocolate ganache icing. Chocoalte overload but it'll be worth it!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 AM
out of how many points?

Last night I grilled country ribs seasoned with a dry rub given to me by a family friend. They were good, oh so so good. We have no leftovers, I am sad because honestly I'd really love some more for lunch right now.

EDIT: What I actually had for lunch: picked some fresh basil leaves from the planter on the back porch, tore them into smaller pieces, placed them atop a slice of good bread from a local bakery, put a little mozzarella on top of that, and placed it under the broiler for a bit. So very easy and yummy. Blackberries I picked a day or two ago as a dessert.

Last edited by ravinoff; 07-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I made fake ratatouille today. I took two "all red" potatoes, half a zucchini, half a yellow squash, a few big criminis, and a few small tomatoes (all from the farmer's market), cut them all into very thin discs, and layered it all in a cast iron skillet with a healthy amount of decent Greek olive oil. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, dried basil and marjoram (pulverized between the fingers to release the oils), and a dash of cinnamon. I cooked it, covered most of the time, for about 20 minutes on pretty low heat. I never stirred, but I did add some water from time to time to keep the bottom layer moist. I was half-expecting it to turn out tasteless, but it was exploding with flavor. I credit the high quality of the produce. I laid it over shell pasta to complete the dinner.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
BAG

I cooked my first London Broil the other day. But all my cooking pans say "do not broil" so I cooked it at 425 F. Instead of marinating it for hours I rubbed some olive oil+pepper+seasoning salt all over it before cooking.

I'm happy that I took it out before it dried out, and I used it in sandwiches and chow mien.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
But all my cooking pans say "do not broil" so I cooked it at 425 F.
Get a cast iron skillet. They are cheap and so amazingly useful.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
I cooked my first London Broil the other day. But all my cooking pans say "do not broil" so I cooked it at 425 F. Instead of marinating it for hours I rubbed some olive oil+pepper+seasoning salt all over it before cooking.

I'm happy that I took it out before it dried out, and I used it in sandwiches and chow mien.
London Broil is the best cut of beef i can afford. If the roast is only a couple inches thick, you can pan sear/oven it and make some outstanding rare steak from it, rather than treat it like a real roast. How well or rare did you cook it?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM
certified comics master

I made potato salad tonight with potatoes, Kewpie mayonnaise, chives, hardboiled eggs, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. There wasn't really any method to it: I just kind of threw it all together. For my first time making potato salad EVER it was pretty good!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
out of how many points?

We made grouper and grits tonight. Housemate handled the fish while I did the grits.

I made oyster grits. This is a revelation. Last night a casserole was made using (among other ingredients) a large plastic container of oysters, the leftover oyster juice from this container and the butter the oysters were cooked in were retained and I cooked the grits in that plus milk (and fresh garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper). This was amazing.

Last edited by ravinoff; 07-25-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Not a Beer

We just made without a doubt the best new recipe I've tried in months. Fortunately, it's online, so I don't have to try to remember it off the top of my head:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...d_mixed_greens

It was amazing. At the risk of sounding like some hoity-toity restaurant guide, the sweetness of the figs and the goat cheese perfectly offset the tart of the balsamic and the spicy of the sausages, and it was all around just divine.

Notes: the dressing calls for pomegranate molasses, which is hard to find outside Mediterranean specialty shops, but we found some pomegranate juice concentrate and it worked fine. Fresh figs are out of season, but dried figs from the co-op were an adequate substitute. And of course we used vegetarian sausage since my wife is veggie - fortunately, there are all kinds of quite good veggie sausage options, unlike some other genres of fake meat. Oh and for the goat cheese we used a Chevre from a local farmer, which is so so good.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 AM
nobody in particular

Today I got pissed off at the food situation at my parents' house (Dear morbidly obese mother: frozen waffles and whipped cream all day long is not okay) and spent $50 on fruits, vegetables, and a few other things.

I came home and made myself a tofu scramble burrito, okra, and watermelon for desert. Yes, the burrito was frozen & microwaved and the watermelon was pre-chopped but this was still far healthier and tastier than the shit we had in the house beforehand. I can't wait to do some real cooking tonight when I make things to take for lunch this week.

It says a lot about the kind of person I've become when the thing that excites me most about moving out is having an easier time eating healthy.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
We just made without a doubt the best new recipe I've tried in months.
That sounds delicious.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
100% All Original

I made Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes this weekend. They were good, but I learned some things:

-if you try to pipe too warm ganache it makes a huge mess
-I need a piping bag with bigger tips
-if you overfill the cupcake cups before baking you will regret it
-I need pastry rings
-my cupcakes kinda collapsed when I took them out of the oven and I'm not sure why
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 PM
There he is!

Tonight's dinner: rosemary orzo with chicken, zuchinni and green pepper.

That will be tomorrow's lunch as well.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Italian sausage from scratch.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
gatchapon 3*

is that a wild mushroom and asparagas risotto i spy on my stove? why yes, yes it is.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
100% All Original

I made a mushroom and Stilton galette! I forgot the dried mushrooms and rosemary but it was still totally great. Though, admittedly, I might like blue cheese more than life itself.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

Destro is mighty impressive. Yet again.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
The Greatest Player

How's this for a cross-cultural dining experience: I made Finnish blueberry pancakes (with the blueberries being freshly picked in the great outdoors of Michigan) for the visiting Japanese delegation. Furthermore, they actually liked them by requesting the recipe to use back home. Bonus: One family offered me a place to stay whenever I visit Japan. Who knew cooking breakfast could have such benefits.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Gesundheit!

Delicious African peanut soup. AND IT HAD A CUP OF PEANUT BUTTER IN IT!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
100% All Original

I made red velvet cupcakes! With cream cheese frosting, crumbled pecans and a raspberry on top! I may have gotten red food coloring everywhere!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
I made red velvet cupcakes!
Your next step: Red velvet fried chicken.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
well, I'm off to San Francisco!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Formerly known as vlad

I am attempting to make homemade tomato sauce from the tomatoes I grew in my garden; it's simmering in a crock pot at home at this very moment. I'm worried that it's not going to turn out very well...I just kind of winged it with the recipe and flavoring, so I'm afraid it's going to be bland. I'm ALSO worried that my partner (who...ugh this is so frustrating...hates garlic and onions) isn't going to like it because I put two cloves of garlic in there.

On a more positive note, the process of making the sauce was pretty fun. I had a very visceral, emotional reaction seeing the juice coming out of my tomatoes when I realized that...it's the same water that I watered my garden with almost every day all summer. It's the same water I saw fall in every rainstorm that came over my house this summer. And now here it is again in my kitchen, in my sauce. It was a powerful moment.

I'll get back to you all on how it goes this evening.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Madness.

This weekend I made german chocolate cake for my roommate's girlfriend's birthday. I turned out pretty good, though I have yet to make a pretty cake.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Formerly known as vlad

My homemade tomato sauce went well! It had a great texture and flavor to it and of course tasted really fresh. I didn't get the seasoning right though...too much pepper and not enough garlic, so it was a little too spicy and not savory enough. Next time I will correct that!

My partner liked it too and even said it could of used more garlic. =)

Tags
cooking , faaaaabulous , tyrant photos