The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
hidden in snow

One day before my actual wedding anniversary, this arrives. I'm not home to open it up, but other unboxing threads show the paint jobs vary from good to serviceable. Considering the scope of just how many pieces are in the game, I'll be happy with that.

The box, board and rule books are amazing, and I can't wait to set it up and never play it!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I just played a few games of Vye. That game has beautiful art. It's fun, too.
Yeah, I've been taking it around and gotten a good number of plays in. Fast, portable, fun, strategic, unpredictable with lots of turnarounds. I've only used like one of the special card sets too, the most basic Wild Land/Earthquake/Sinkhole one. I'm looking forward to trying out the others as well. Some crazy stuff in there!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM
is Earnest

^we had that set of cards in our second game, but people only used the wild land cards.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM
hidden in snow

This new edition of War of the Ring is massive.

My table's 3'x3', and the board extends about 5" over the edge. I noticed a couple ink scrapes on the board, which I'm bummed about.

Probably not bummed enough to contact support since it doesn't affect the game at all.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Dinger!

Beautiful.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
This new edition of War of the Ring is massive.

My table's 3'x3', and the board extends about 5" over the edge. I noticed a couple ink scrapes on the board, which I'm bummed about.

Probably not bummed enough to contact support since it doesn't affect the game at all.
Niiiiiiiiice.

Considering how much I'm sure that cost, I would definitely contact support, my dude.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Is that a gussied up version the same basic hex-and-chit War of the Ring I have 2 copies of for some baffling reason, or a new thing with the same name?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Dinger!

War of the Ring isn't particularly new, but I can't imagine it working as a hex and chit game, so yours must be a different game with the same name.

Coincidentally, my roommate recently bought We of the Ring as well (although the regular one, not that fancy one with painted minis and such). It's really good!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM
hidden in snow

It's a newer game than the 70's hex/chit version, probably takes a ton of inspiration from that one though. The first edition came out a decade ago and was published by Fantasy Flight, and they made a special limited Collector's edition soon after. FF either gave up or lost publishing rights, and a second edition came out published by Ares Games, who just re-made the Collector's edition into the Anniversary edition.

I've still got the First Edition with the Second Edition upgrade kit (new cards), so will be looking to unload that soon.

I did email customer support on this, so we'll see if they will swap out the boards.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Space dad

Played a game of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition last night. We'd played it once before, right after I got it in August. I like it a lot, the app is very well done and it sets up in a fifth of the time.

BUT! Because there is no human Keeper who knows what's going on, there is no one to harrumph and gesture vaguely if the investigators are wandering around like dopes instead of picking up and examining the random bits of ugly statues that keep dropping to the ground whenever the shadow monster whisks away another member of the family you're trying to save, and so you may burn up a lot of rounds trying to escape a raging fire set by the candles your master of the occult dropped and to not get killed by a Deep One who's outside the attic you've barricaded, while increasingly nasty Mythos events drive you ever closer to madness and death until, finally, the last of the family is eaten, and then it is your turn.

So in other words it's a lot of fun but we haven't quite figured out the game flow and what's important to do when the scenario is run by the app.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
So in other words it's a lot of fun but we haven't quite figured out the game flow and what's important to do when the scenario is run by the app.
Hey, I did that scenario and lost pretty much the same way. We managed to build the idol, and take out maybe half the thing's health but only just one turn before we all got wiped out but the sanity-damage-per-turn that was going on.

The way I see it with MoM, there's almost no way to win the first time except in the very easiest scenarios (maybe, just barely). There's just too much ground to cover, the objectives are hidden, the combat doesn't seem to be figured into the action economy, and there's always a hidden turn limit. If you make a wrong turn, or second guess your path through the map then you're screwed. If your smart guy ends up at the door that needs to be busted in or your strong guy ends up having to open the puzzle box, and they're on opposite ends of the map, you're screwed. If a monster survives more than 2 or 3 attacks, you're screwed. If you didn't bother re-talking to the right NPC after the right event you'll miss out on one of the good weapons and you're screwed.

It's not the most fairly tuned game if they want people to feel like they have anything resembling a chance on their first play. And there's alternate maps for each scenario too, so you might get thrown for a loop your second time too.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM
We just don't know.

Working through my unopened games, I shortened the list by one and got a play of Cave Troll in last night. It was pretty neat! A decent... Territory-claiming game, I guess you'd call it. Special units, monsters to attack enemies with, etc. No actual combat despite the adventurer-warrior/monster theme, except one or two monsters that can mess with opponents' heroes or even kill them off.

We also played the first age of Blood Rage from a friend's similar Unplayed list. It was interesting; seemed very chaotic; hard to grasp a good strategy, but it also depends on your cards and such. I felt pretty resource-starved in the first round. Dunno if that would go up much by the later ones, because it seemed really hard to get more of the things that limited you (only 4 units on the map, which two of us forgot about and blew past; limited amount of rage w/ which to do stuff...) It would be worth another play to get through a full game to see if the later ages go on longer and give you more opportunities to act with. But, I did get summon a giant sea serpent in a fjord. So that's pretty cool.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Space dad

Blood Rage has a lot of love AND is designed by Eric Lang, who's made tons of good stuff, so I'd definitely give it another try.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:26 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Working through my unopened games, I shortened the list by one and got a play of Cave Troll in last night. It was pretty neat! A decent... Territory-claiming game, I guess you'd call it. Special units, monsters to attack enemies with, etc. No actual combat despite the adventurer-warrior/monster theme, except one or two monsters that can mess with opponents' heroes or even kill them off.
I like Cave Troll, though only one other person I've played it with has shared that view. Many really hate that you can't predict when scoring will occur.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Blood Rage has a lot of love AND is designed by Eric Lang, who's made tons of good stuff, so I'd definitely give it another try.
Yeah, the stakes ramp up nicely even though the game is only three rounds long. For your next play remember that there's also plenty of stuff to do that doesn't cost Rage, and you should do that first if you want to stall and see what everyone else is up to. Play your quests, invade with your chieftain, play any 0-cost upgrades, etc. You can pillage as long as you have 1 rage, so always plan around that (though there is a combat card that allows the loser to steal 1 rage from you if you win).

The game recommends sticking to the clan upgrades pertaining to one god until you know the ropes and this has served me really well both times I played, with two completely different strategies. It also advises to get an equal distribution of quests, combat cards, and upgrades, and that's also sound advice.

I really like the game, so definitely give it a full play.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Satanic Mechanic

I remember playing Cave Troll maybe 5 years ago and enjoying it.

Blood Rage is great, although the first time I played it I lost hilariously badly. I was being taught by experienced players, though, and I felt like if I played it again I would do a lot better.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Lucky In Love

How would y'all counter someone using the Loki strategy (losing on purpose). I completely trounced everyone with a 40+ point lead last time with Loki cards and complimentary quests. I want to try something different next time, but I'm wondering what to do if someone else goes for Loki. Don't say hate draft, because I don't think hate drafting works in a game where you only get 18 cards for the whole thing, and you have to make good use of every single one.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
We just don't know.

The unpredictable scoring in Cave Troll is one of those things that I'm not sure about, but I think I like it. It's not entirely unpredictable, but since you don't know when it'll happen it encourages you to try and maintain as good a board state as possible.

We had some good plays. A friend put down a treasure chest in a corner room, then hit score room with a dwarf in there. V. good. Then another friend moved in to take it over. On my turn, we were at 4 scoring counters. So I used my artifact to move all characters to a stairwell (the corner one with 1 of 2 exits blocked by a cave troll,) thief-moved in myself, then drew-played to score it. I didn't know the odds of drawing a card with a score counter (didn't have one already) so I made it my third action; got my own treasure chest to put in that room, which also triggered scoring, so I got a nice big 11-coin bounty from it. I wanted to cave troll a friend who had a dwarf in a 5-coin room, but didn't want to risk not triggering the score before someone could screw me out of that room. I THINK I had the cave troll in hand though, so I should've drawn the chest, known I had one more action, used #3 to troll friend and then #4 to play chest. Oh well!

Some interesting stuff. We didn't even get much into the monsters, besides one other friend who let his stuff get too close so I marched in with my orc and took out both his thief and barbarian in one turn. But the others kinda just sat in the wells for the rest of the game, waiting for the right times to strike that never came.

Would play again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Yeah, the stakes ramp up nicely even though the game is only three rounds long. For your next play remember that there's also plenty of stuff to do that doesn't cost Rage, and you should do that first if you want to stall and see what everyone else is up to. Play your quests, invade with your chieftain, play any 0-cost upgrades, etc. You can pillage as long as you have 1 rage, so always plan around that (though there is a combat card that allows the loser to steal 1 rage from you if you win).

The game recommends sticking to the clan upgrades pertaining to one god until you know the ropes and this has served me really well both times I played, with two completely different strategies. It also advises to get an equal distribution of quests, combat cards, and upgrades, and that's also sound advice.

I really like the game, so definitely give it a full play.
Yeah, I definitely picked up on the no-rage stuff I could do. I misplayed one thing (summoned my sea monster before my free "upgrades cost one less" card), but the real problem was when I won a pillage but my friend played Loki's trickery and stole my last rage. I was planning on several more pillages before that happened. Then I misplayed an Yggdrasil invasion with one of my cards and got wiped the fuck ooooout.

Wait, so you DO get 6 cards per age? We thought that at first, then someone said that the book indicated 8 instead.

And yeah, I'd definitely want to give it another full play.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:35 PM

Paul: I double checked the rules just now, and when you do drafting you're dealt 8 but everyone only drafts 6, but when doing the beginner variant, "For your First Age, we recommend you simply play with the 8 cards you’re dealt, and don’t draft. After one Age, players should be familiar enough to draft during the Second Age." -- I'm guessing keeping all eight instead of the normally drafted six is to give you a chance at some synergy in the random cards.

That is, we played it right keeping eight random cards for the first age.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:50 PM
We just don't know.

Word!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Re: Blood Rage,

It seems to me that the person who goes 1st in the 1st round has a big advantage. They can quickly upgrade their stats without competition. What do you guys think? Is the game balanced with regards to turn order?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Lucky In Love

I don't see how you can do it with no competition because it's pretty unlikely you'll make it to your next action without any other players invading adjacent regions or oceans. Also if there's no opponent when you pillage you don't get victory points.

And there are enough ways to get stat points through quests and upgrade cards that you can usually get a couple maxxed out even if you don't win many pillages.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 AM
and ermine, too

Last weekend was the weekend of PAX. I only learned two new games, but played a lot.

Fabled Fruit - Not my description: "the Frog Fractions of board games." It even meets Friedemann's alliterative-Fs naming convention.

America - The second Friedemann game of PAX.

Power Grid: The Card Game - ... and the third Friedemann game of PAX.

Spyrium - I appreciate worker placement games with some fluidity to the placement part, and Spyrium allows you to do clever things with your workers. I should really play this more.

New York Slice - This picked up a lot of plays quickly. Relatively substantial games that can take a large range of players are a good choice for conventions.

The King of Frontier - We played two games in a row that ended on conditions other than running out of tiles, which is a pretty sharp turn from earlier plays. This has grown on me since including the expansion buildings every time.

Traders of Osaka - I played a rule incorrectly for two years. Fortunately, I like the correct rule a bit better.

Rights - This is staying in my collection for now. TROLL is the only Oink game I've let go of, which is still a good game.

Mission: Red Planet - I used to think I didn't enjoy majority games. What I have discovered in recent years is that I just strongly dislike Revolution.

Rolling America (new to me) - A game I bought at PAX and immediately played twice. I had read the rules before, but they don't sell how entertaining it is to fill out your bingo sheet. It's a very fun puzzle.

Quartermaster General - Italy and Japan became victory point machines in this game, and the United States didn't start bombing Japan quickly enough to make a difference. The UK had a considerable front that stretched all the way through southern Asia - I love how differently every game of QMG turns out.

Codenames - I was happy to play the 3p variant several times in a row at the end of the convention. I'm not really interested in the competition, so much as trying to deal with the largest possible clues.

El Grande (new to me) - One of the few remaining 90s classics I was interested in trying, I wasn't disappointed. I'm marginally interested in owning a copy, but even if I go out of my way to buy an older edition, the box is too big to fit on my shelves right now.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
It's a newer game than the 70's hex/chit version, probably takes a ton of inspiration from that one though. The first edition came out a decade ago and was published by Fantasy Flight, and they made a special limited Collector's edition soon after. FF either gave up or lost publishing rights, and a second edition came out published by Ares Games, who just re-made the Collector's edition into the Anniversary edition.

I've still got the First Edition with the Second Edition upgrade kit (new cards), so will be looking to unload that soon.

I did email customer support on this, so we'll see if they will swap out the boards.
Ares committed to send me a replacement board, after all the Anniversary releases have been shipped out, so in a month or so. Awesome!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Spent Saturday night playing the apparently much-loved Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle game.

It sucks!

However, we didn't come to this conclusion until our second session. The first session, we played Games 1 through 3 and were pretty excited about each new game adding elements from the stories. We ended Game 3 on a failure.

Second session, we played games 3 and 4. Failed both times. Here is the problem with this game: Within the first few turns, you will know if you are going to succeed or not. If you have a bad spread of villains and events (entirely random), you will spend each round watching everyone having their agency stolen from them and being forced to waste their turns. You do not keep your purchased cards between games, starting with each character's default cards only, so if you have to face a powerful enemy on the first round you will never be able to build the deck you need to defeat them and whoever appears after.

It's not satisfying to encounter the new parts of a Game because it basically just increases the difficulty while distributing a handful of new cards among the ones you already saw in the previous Game. You get a jumble of ingredients from each Harry Potter story, none of which really communicates with each other. Quirius Quirrel will appear in every game, but he's just a number you have to reduce to zero.

I felt especially bad for the host of this game night, as he'd been really looking forward to progressing through the whole series. But we were all on the same page after this session. Fortunately for him, this game is very popular, so he won't have any trouble selling it off. We washed out the bad taste with a few rounds of Tapple 10.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Played Burgle Bros last Friday. This is a fun game! Took a couple place throughs to really begin to understand some of the nuances of the game. Definitely, one where it pays to think three dimensionally which we weren't doing until the latter half of the second game. If we had been from the start we would have progressed further in the two games we played.

Looking forward to playing again.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I finally managed to get my copy of Burgle Bros to the table for the first time just last week, only to find that my copy was missing some components.

That being said, their support was prompt and accommodating, so I should be getting some free replacements in the mail shortly.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Space dad

Star Wars: Rebellion is under $50 on Amazon. Great game, best price I've seen for it.

Over and done.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 03-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it