The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, the key to Vagrant Story is that the different damage types, weapon affinities, buffs and debuffs, are all important, and ALL WORK. You can stack one equipment and one personal buff/debuff on yourself/monsters, and if you pair up correct damage types and weapon/elemental affinities you'll rarely if ever have any problems with combat. Until you get to the end, anyway. :P
Old 07-25-2007, 10:17 PM
zombie

Guys, I need help. I cannot beat a game anymore. I have no patience. As I pick up the controller, my interest is lost the moment I gain control of the character. What is wrong here? I want to have the old satisfaction of beating and game, smiling at the "fin" or "game over" or "mission success" or whatever.

:sadface:
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Loves to overthink.

Stop playing shitty games.

Actually, I think it'd be best just to play through some fun, short games. SoTN and Warioware Smooth Moves did that for me, and Excitetruck's been good for me too, though I don't see myself unlocking everything. I'd need a lot of practice for that. Longer RPGs and all have been boring me more often than not lately, or maybe I just need the surge of enjoyment/challenge I can get from the latter two, and the feeling of accomplishing a lot in a fairly small amount of time I get from SoTN.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Sung Tongs

I want you guys to re-read your posts on VP2 and Vagrant Story and then seriously ask yourselves why most people don't finish games like this. It's because they're convoluted and badly designed. VP2 doesn't tell you a god damn thing about its gameplay system that is useful to you getting far into it, so unless you spend inordinate amounts of time figuring out how to level up and hamstring enemies using Seal Stones, you're going to find it a frustrating experience.

As for Vagrant Story, if I'm supposed to play through a game and figure out its mechanics and then have to start all over again to be able to beat it, I'm not even going to bother. My huge problem with VS is the insane amount of tinkering you have to do to get anywhere--none of the item/weapon crafting is explained well in game/in the manual, but on top of that there's just too many choices. It's a similar reason that I never finish Nippon Ichi games, or play real time strategy games anymore: in the former case, there's too many options and too much to do; in the latter case, they added in too many resources to gather and too many super specialized units that I don't want to bother with.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledGregs View Post
I want you guys to re-read your posts on VP2 and Vagrant Story and then seriously ask yourselves why most people don't finish games like this. It's because they're convoluted and badly designed. VP2 doesn't tell you a god damn thing about its gameplay system that is useful to you getting far into it, so unless you spend inordinate amounts of time figuring out how to level up and hamstring enemies using Seal Stones, you're going to find it a frustrating experience.
In before flamewar.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 AM
For blood and gold

I, uh, beat Starflight for the Genesis last night. It hasn't aged as well I would have liked since I had fond memories of the Mac port, but it would be a nice game to see for virtual console if EA ever decides to get on the VC bandwagon.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
As for Vagrant Story, if I'm supposed to play through a game and figure out its mechanics and then have to start all over again to be able to beat it, I'm not even going to bother. My huge problem with VS is the insane amount of tinkering you have to do to get anywhere--none of the item/weapon crafting is explained well in game/in the manual, but on top of that there's just too many choices.
It's true that playing Vagrant Story can be a bit of a chore, even once you've learned the intricacies of the weapon system. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it was released now, when free time is a resource more precious than money. Still, if you do perservere, the rewards are great.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Faceshove champion

Had had a very similar experience with Vagrant Story, I played it for a while at launch, and left it when I could do only single digit hits.

But after playing through FF XII I decided to revisit it along with a bunch of other Matsuno games. And the game, while still challenging at parts, was much easier. I think more then having played it before, just my own experience in gaming has grown quite a bit over 7 years and so I knew to make a lot of use of the buffs and I kept a variety of weapons and gems ready for different affinities. Which wasn't something I even gave much thought to years back.

And you don't ever have to worry about backing yourself into a wall in Vagrant Story, you can always backtrack (which gets much easier when you get Teleport from a boss). As for weapons, you can always train any weapon in any affinity direction at any time with a bit of effort, so don't worry if you have some useless weapons, just train them on a dummy for a while, and give them a hilt that allows you to attach more gems.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Loves to overthink.

That's a good point actually about aging and just getting more gaming experience. I thought that too after my original post.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Especially Angry

I'm really looking forward to Nadia's article about those of us who are having trouble beating games. For a while I thought it was just me, but now I know that is far from reality.

I suppose my problem is a lack of free time, a surplus of money in $50 chunks and a wandering lust for different gameplay experiences. I never focus, so I never finish.

Super Paper Mario was a breakthrough for me. It was long enough to be satisfying but short enough for me to beat it. It was also fun; you know, that quality that was at one time the most important part of a videogame.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaX View Post
Actually, if you're doing any kind of grinding in Valkyrie Profile 2, you're not making full use of what the game gives you.

First, Seal Stones are pretty much the most important things in any dungeon. With the proper set up in some dungeons, that boss that's doing 1,000+ damage to all characters with 900HP will turn to more like 100-200 points of damage. Second, weapons and chaining into specials/Soul Crushes are important factors in battle. Not to mention, the point of VP2 is to minimize the amount of times you get hit, not to tank your way through damage like in other RPGs. Finally, look up a FAQ and learn some skills. Toughness doubles HP, and will virtually make your party nigh-invincible for the main game.

VP2 may seem broken and unbalanced at first, but it's mostly a matter of how to take advantage of the gameplay mechanics.
Well I have been trying to take advantage of the sealstones along with all the skills that can be unlocked and trying to build those up. I guess I just need to sit down with it for a couple hours and figure out what the hell I'm doing before moving on.

But I think that brings up my main reason for not finishing games... patience. I like new or different gameplay mechanics but those sealstones give me a goddamn headache. I'm sure it's all fairly simple once I figure them out though. And sometimes I'm wondering if I am potenially going to miss one and that will in turn make later bosses near impossible. argh. Well I've got time now that P3 is delayed.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 PM

I like how dj was expecting a flamewar for the shocking revelation that hey, maybe hardcore games actually aren't all that accessable, and everyone went, yeah, pretty much.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I like how dj was expecting a flamewar for the shocking revelation that hey, maybe hardcore games actually aren't all that accessable, and everyone went, yeah, pretty much.
I'm just happy not to have a flame-war.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 PM
For blood and gold

I was kind of annoyed that I wasn't actually finishing games I was starting, so I decided to start keeping a game journal. It worked. It has definitely helped inspire me to finish the games I start. Provided they don't suck like Sword of Vermilion.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I would've finished ActRaiser by now if I could figure out what in the freaking crap I'm supposed to do in Northwall.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I was kind of annoyed that I wasn't actually finishing games I was starting, so I decided to start keeping a game journal. It worked. It has definitely helped inspire me to finish the games I start. Provided they don't suck like Sword of Vermilion.
Sword of Vermilion wasn't all that bad though, when compared to contemporary RPGs. Now it isn't because other games have come and done the same thing it does much better.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Sword of Vermilion wasn't all that bad though, when compared to contemporary RPGs. Now it isn't because other games have come and done the same thing it does much better.
Yeah, I mean it obviously didn't help that I played it back in March. And it doesn't truly suck. It is playable, but just comes off as very mediocre, perhaps below average. I mean, I like it less than Lagoon which is also a very mediocre action/RPG. Also not as good as Faxanadu or Crystalis which are other contemporary action/RPGs that I can think of.

Anyway, in this day and age, it isn't worth my time to play.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Wretched Fellow

Lagoon sucked when it was new. I can say that from personal experience.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

I rented Lagoon a couple of times, so I guess I must have liked it. I even beat the boss of the ice palace, after much frustration. But then I got lost in the final dungeon.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I would've finished ActRaiser by now if I could figure out what in the freaking crap I'm supposed to do in Northwall.
Well, let's see...

You melt the ice using your magical sunshine (don't forget the lake in the corner). As you go, seal off the monster caves as usual - especially those damned skulls. Finally, when the people are freezing their tails off, you must give them THE POWER OF SHEEP, which you get from the people in Aitos, the volcano town.

Of course, then you'll have to go bust some heads in the big frozen tree, which is one of the more challenging action stages in the game.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Getting Equipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Lagoon sucked when it was new. I can say that from personal experience.
I rented it once because Lufia was out and it made a poor substitute. I managed to beat it, but I think I was just trying to make sure the game didn't win.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Sung Tongs

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who doesn't love Vagrant Story. It's one of those games where I can "objectively" (in scare quotes to deflect arguing!!) say it's a great game, but I personally don't enjoy it and don't think it's any fun. I don't think it has anything to do with patience or willingness to experiment, because it's not that long of a game from what I've heard. It's more that I'd rather spend an hour in a game making progress rather than fucking around with smiths and wailing on a dummy before I can get past a boss or whatnot.

Does anyone else sometimes find themselves buying RPGs just because they're being released?? I can remember as a chillun lusting after RPGs in Nintendo Power during the SNES era which weren't getting released here (Final Fantasy V and 'Secret of Mana 2' spring to mind) and a bit later realizing the N64 was not going to have any RPGs at all; after getting a Playstation, it was as if a RPG dam burst and practically every RPG was getting released here.

There were a fair bit of RPGs I missed on the PS1 due to low funds and being too young for a job, but nowadays I frequently buy PS2/GBA RPGs because they're cheap and I love the genre even if I don't have the time or bloody minded willingness to make myself play through them. I've got Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and Star Ocean 3 sitting on my shelf doing nothing because they were like $10 and hey, 15 years ago I'd have never gotten to play games like this even if they aren't very good.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Faceshove champion

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who doesn't love Vagrant Story. It's one of those games where I can "objectively" (in scare quotes to deflect arguing!!) say it's a great game, but I personally don't enjoy it and don't think it's any fun.
That's just the way my roommate and I'm sure, many other people think as well. Vagrant Story, like most other Matsuno games appeals very much towards the OCD crowd. Myself, I enjoyed the smithing quite a bit, because I like having total control over my equipment and getting the most out of everything. But it's no doubt a lengthy chore for many other people.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Thanks to waking up at 4:30 am and a subsequent bout of insomnia, I beat Disgaea 2.

I'll probably give it at least a second playthrough to mess around with classes and monsters I didn't bother with before (most of them).
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Getting Equipped

I finished up Sly 2 this weekend. Next up is RE4 Wii, when Amazon bothers to ship it to me.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Pixel pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordian View Post
I finished up Sly 2 this weekend. Next up is RE4 Wii, when Amazon bothers to ship it to me.
I was playing RE4 Wii this weekend. It's a blast, and I love the new controls-- I only have a few hours left to beat it, and I know I'm going to run right through it again. ...I still get scared in the exact same parts of the game, though.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Rawrther.

I think the last game I beat was... Guitar Hero.

I've gotta confess you guys, I rarely beat games. I just don't have the time to, if I beat every game I played, it would take up all my time, and I just can't have that.

I am so thankful for Metal Gear. Turns out stealth is one of the few genres I 'pwn' at. Totally beat the shit out of MGS1-3 several times over.

And I'll never forget the loathing which fell upon me when, after having beaten Super Mario Bros Lost Levels, the game told me to do it all again but harder.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 AM
Run Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Honestly, Twilight Princess should be your first priority. Fantastic game.
I love the Zelda games. But Twighlight Princess was a letdown for me, and I never finished it. The issues I had with it.

1)Frustration - A lot of places where the controls just didn't do what I wanted them to. Mostly the times when I forced to use Epona. This came to a head right after the caravan guarding mission. Birds dropping bombs flying over me, and orcs in clobbering me and I can't open up the stupid gate... Of course, it might be I am just getting rusty.

2)The characters are ugly. Either ugly or obnoxious. Windwaker boasted similar designs, but it worked for Windwaker because it was done in a cartoonish style. Doesn't work IMHO, with this quasi-realistic look.

3)I haven't finished it, but I heard they brought back Ganon, again. Really after his long speech at the end of Windwaker, I thought they'd stop using him. I mean he was cool and all, but really, its becoming tiring.

Just to get back on track. Games I've beaten recently.

Super Robot Taisen OG - Ryusei route and Kyosuke route.
Final Fantasy XII
Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indalecio View Post
3)I haven't finished it, but I heard they brought back Ganon, again. Really after his long speech at the end of Windwaker, I thought they'd stop using him. I mean he was cool and all, but really, its becoming tiring.
Yeah, but they also brought back Link and Zelda.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM

I finished the "Normal" difficulty of Ouendan 2 last night... that hardly counts, though, because to me the proper game doesn't start until you unlock the "real" game at the "Hard" difficulty.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner