The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

I bought The Last of Us for $2 at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago. I'm now convinced that this was the best $2 I ever spent. It does the whole cinematic experience thing better than most video games, while rolling in enough familiar but satisfying action scenes to keep you engaged between plot points. (Forcing a punk into a wall, then collapsing his skull with it is the ultimate guilty pleasure.) I know zombie games and post-apocalyptic settings have been done to death, but there's a sobering sense of realism and emotional depth to The Last of Us that's lacking in many of its contemporaries. I didn't think I would enjoy this one, I really didn't, but so far it's gone well beyond my expectations.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Chief Servbot

Yeah a lot of people rag on it for being a typical Western AAA cinematic borefest or whatever and I don't get it. The game is very good!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Random guy

So, I did not expect this, but I laughed out loud as I was playing Nier (the first one) yesterday.

At the end of a dungeon filled with puzzles, there's this kid rushing to a mask, picking it up, and putting it up in the air like Link does in any 3D Zelda. Then there is a little jingle that is very similar to something that you would hear in Zelda.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but this was just totally unexpected and hilarious.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Blue Comet

VA-11 Hall-A has *excellent* writing. So does Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Default Shove-em-up

Started playing Ys Book I & II for TurboGrafx. So far this is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now. It's beautiful
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM

I've gone from not really caring to being completely in love over the course of the Toukiden 2 demo! One big world instead of tiny zones separated by loading screens is exactly what Monster Hunter clones need in order to set themselves apart.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Started playing Ys Book I & II for TurboGrafx. So far this is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now. It's beautiful
I played it a couple of years ago. There are remakes since that are technically superior, but the look of that game and the specific mixes of those songs tingle my nostalgia in a particular way. Even though I'd never played the original games.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I've gone from not really caring to being completely in love over the course of the Toukiden 2 demo! One big world instead of tiny zones separated by loading screens is exactly what Monster Hunter clones need in order to set themselves apart.
Yeah, I'm enjoying it too. It's unfortunately a bit uglier on the Vita than the original Toukiden, but it's nice to have a big open world action RPG so whatever. The original was a slow burn for me, but by the end I found the cast really endearing, the story was fun, and the difficulty got to where I wanted it.

They added a new interrupt attack to the club move set and I totally locked down a Windshredder with perfect timing a few times, and that was great.

I tried the chain whip for most of the demo, and it's a little hard to tell when I'm doing a good job with it.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Yeah, I'm enjoying it too. It's unfortunately a bit uglier on the Vita than the original Toukiden.
I tried it on the PS TV and... it looks like shit on a big screen TV. PS4 version is not the best looking game ever, but looks great by comparison. I was going to buy the Vita version, but decided against it because of graphics, and preordered the PS4 version instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I tried the chain whip for most of the demo, and it's a little hard to tell when I'm doing a good job with it.
It's the weapon I used for most of the demo, and I have to say it's hard to gauge the range of the thing. I will keep using it for now, we'll see how it goes in the final game.

Liked the demo quite a bit overall, though! I still have a few quests to do, I should be able to clear them before the game shows up next week.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I played it a couple of years ago. There are remakes since that are technically superior, but the look of that game and the specific mixes of those songs tingle my nostalgia in a particular way. Even though I'd never played the original games.
I'm getting close to the end of the Ys I portion (I think) and it's amaaaazing.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Crabjörn

Iji updated.

The update changed a few things here and there (Attack and Assimilate are real stats to invest in again) but there's two major new things.

1. Passive mode. There are now alternate versions of the eight basic Nanoweapons, aimed to facilitate nonlethal play. Without spoiling too much, the Tasen ones are meant for dealing with foes more directly, while the Komato ones are more technical tools, particularly useful to those hoping to play a cracking-focused character.

2. Two new potential endings. One is available as a result of a choice you get by clearing Sector 9's boss without clearing Deep Sector and without being berserk (I just got this ending I was not ready for it), and one you can get if you clear the game while berserk.

If you haven't played the game yet, now would be a fine time to do so.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM

I picked up Etrian Odyssey 4 again, resolved to finally finish this damn game. I continued on my old save file, which was somewhere near the end of the third labyrinth. I killed the Boiling Lizard and made my way through the first bit of the 4th land. Now to go back and finish up some side quests.

This is a fun game.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti for the Famicom has a boss battle in which you enter a room where a school girl is lying on some sort of operating table. Her belly bulges, and out bursts a swarm of spider-like creatures which you have to fight off. After you kill about 50 of them, the girl stands up, yawns, and strolls off the screen, as if nothing had happened.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Blue Comet

Toukiden 2 ish pretty fun
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Lucky In Love

We should play together. I'll send you a PSN friend request.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Random guy

I have a bunch of things to do tonight but all I want to do is play more Toukiden 2.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

One of the recent updates to Solitairica made it so it no longer devours my phones battery life like popcorn caught in a tornado.

Now I can play it while commuting or in a long line without needing to charge my phone immediately after!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
One of the recent updates to Solitairica made it so it no longer devours my phones battery life like popcorn caught in a tornado.

Now I can play it while commuting or in a long line without needing to charge my phone immediately after!
Hey, neat!

Too bad I already finished it work every character!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Super Mario Run is on Android now, so I played the first few levels of the demo. Well, it sure is a Mario game.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Perpetually LttP

Man, Spec Ops: The Line does atmospheric setpieces like nobody's business.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Man, Spec Ops: The Line does atmospheric setpieces like nobody's business.
It's a great game that actively enhances its greatness by being mediocre. It's a complete one-off in that respect. I'll never play it again, but I'll always remember it.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:59 AM
Blue Comet

Toukiden 2 is pretty fun; a respectable addition to the monster-hunting genre by incorporating an open world. Has Monster Hunter already done that? If not, Toukiden 2 might be a nifty first. ;o ;o!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:16 AM

Yeah, Toukiden 2's big world feels so much better than tiny zones separated by loading screens. The gauntlet has been thrown, Monster Hunter!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Tales of the Abyss ain't even in the running for being my favorite JRPG ported to the 3DS, but danged if I don't appreciate how all out it goes in establishing what a complete dipstick the protagonist is.

He doesn't just have amnesia, he has amnesia so bad he doesn't know what a store is. He is genuinely clueless about every aspect of how fantasy world he lives in operates. He is constantly manipulated because it never occurs to him that someone might be lying.

Luke is an amazing, terrible person. Like a train wreck painted by Vincent Van Gogh.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Tales of the Abyss ain't even in the running for being my favorite JRPG ported to the 3DS, but danged if I don't appreciate how all out it goes in establishing what a complete dipstick the protagonist is.

He doesn't just have amnesia, he has amnesia so bad he doesn't know what a store is. He is genuinely clueless about every aspect of how fantasy world he lives in operates. He is constantly manipulated because it never occurs to him that someone might be lying.

Luke is an amazing, terrible person. Like a train wreck painted by Vincent Van Gogh.
They went overboard on his character. It's one thing to know absolutely nothing about the outside world, but he also is a completely spoiled dick head to EVERYONE! And everyone puts up with him, for who knows why???? Really was difficult to play as someone so unlikable, for me.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Even that works because his amnesia is so bad it never occurred to him that living a leisurely spoiled life of splendor is in any way, out of the ordinary.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Perpetually LttP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
It's a great game that actively enhances its greatness by being mediocre. It's a complete one-off in that respect. I'll never play it again, but I'll always remember it.
I do have to say that naming the villain Conrad was a little too "nudge nudge wink wink" referential.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:

Sounds awful
Old 03-25-2017, 09:26 PM
It's a bird! It's a fish!

A while back, I woke up very early in the morning, for no reason, and started thinking about Starseed Pilgrim, also for no reason. Starseed Pilgrim is a tiny little indie game that I played for a few hours when it came out a few years ago, before getting frustrated and quitting. I haven't played or really thought that much about it since then, so I have no idea why it popped into my head at 3 am on a Wednesday morning, but my weird early morning dream thoughts inspired me to play it again, and oh my god this game is brilliant.

The dream-logic revelation that got me to play it again was the realization that this game is a roguelike. This seems like an odd realization to have, as most modern roguelikes are very obvious about what they are and what they aspire to do. Starseed Pilgrim doesn't quite fit that mold, for a number of reasons. The first is that it gives you almost no instruction on how to play it. It is very similar, both aesthetically and in design philosophy, to The Witness (Jon Blow loves this game): it just plops you into its world and lets you play around and figure it out its rules. A lot of other roguelikes do something similar, but follow forms that make their intent much more obvious: there are usually enemies and weapons and a door at the end of the level that takes you to the next one. Starseed Pilgrim has no enemies, no violence, and no goal that is immediately obvious from years of exposure to other games, but play it long enough, and you realize that it follows the core loop of a roguelike.

Understanding the presence of that core loop is a big part of why I'm in love with it so much more than when I originally played it. When I first played this game, I hadn't really played any other roguelikes, so I played just enough of it to get frustrated at the end of an unusually good run and quit. Now that I have more experience with the genre, I'm more inclined to accept the failures as they come and appreciate the highs when they happen. It's also let me realize what the game does exceptionally well.

In most other roguelikes, death is a prominent part of the experience, but it's also kind of boring. You want to avoid it at all costs, but when it almost inevitably comes, there's no feeling except for disappointment. While death is almost as inevitable in this game as in other roguelikes, it's a much more interesting proposition here; without spoiling the mechanics too much, death isn't the end of a run, and in order to make any progress, you need to be planning for it throughout the entire run before eventually accepting the void.

There's so much more I could take about with this game, from its brilliant use of negative space to its beatiful minimalist aesthetics to the way its metagame flows so naturally from its core mechanics to the zen feeling that comes before embracing the void, but it really does work best if you figure out the game for yourself. This went from being some random indie game I had forgotten about to one of my favorite games ever (and inspired the longest post I've made on Talking Time in literally years). If any of this has sounded interesting to you in any way, please play this game.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Toukiden 2 is pretty fun; a respectable addition to the monster-hunting genre by incorporating an open world. Has Monster Hunter already done that? If not, Toukiden 2 might be a nifty first. ;o ;o!
I made it to chapter 4 this weekend, and I have a hard time to stop playing. Graphically, it's not Horizon Zero Dawn, but it works nicely, and I have to say some of the environments are actually pretty neat (especially the floating platforms of the Age of War, mixed with medieval Japan).

I'm not in love with the characters. Well, Benizuki is pretty awesome. The others are kinda bland. I miss my husbando from the first game (Fugaku).

I did not care much about the story for the first Toukiden, but this one is actually not bad (though the two clans who fight each other is not particularly original). The new group introduced at the end of the third chapter will probably spice things up quite a bit.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , repulsive positivity