The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
tonally odd
I prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
tonally schizophrenic
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I prefer
You're right. Sorry, I didn't mean to plagiarize.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Wait wait, I wasn't claiming anything of the sort! I just liked that turn of phrase, is all. That post is over a year old! You certainly were not plagiarizing. Apologies for the misunderstanding. Your post was a good post!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I'm another who's been reading Sluggy since nearly the beginning and at this point I'm in 'til the end, if nothing else just to see if he pulls it off. Yes it's far too overstuffed for its own good by now, but the guy puts in an admirable level of effort attempting to keep all the balls in the air.

He's actually said that the *daily* strip should be ending within a year, but he has vague plans to keep doing Sluggy things in some format afterwords. I suspect this means he's going to do his damnedest to wrap up all the intertwined dramatic plots in a big finale, and will then be free to go back to using the characters for random sitcom shenanigans and parodies, albeit on an irregular schedule.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM
100% All Original

I had to go back through the Octopus Pie archives to remember who the guy in the most recent comic is (it's Puget Sean), and I ended up reading the whole thing. God, Octopus Pie is amazing.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:08 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ah sluggy freelance.

The myth. The Legend.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Blue Comet

I'd thought the plot of Girl Genius was dragging just a year ago, but the recent pages have been pretty damn exciting
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM

So I was reminded of Kid Radd this week because reasons and decided to re-read it on a whim. The original website is tragically gone, but fortunately for us brave souls have risen to the challenge and ensured that it will be available to read forever.

Re-reading it, 2 things come very prominently to mind.

1: "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST WEB 1.0 THING EVER.

So Kid Radd isn't like most webcomics, which are simply comics that could just as easily be read on pieces of paper in a book. The closest comparison I can think of would have to be Homestuck, in that each panel is on it's own separate "page" and most of them are animated. But Homestuck started in 2009 when we all had super fast internet and wifi and shit, while Kid Radd started in 2002 when a decent chunk of us were still on dialup. The very idea of making a comic where every update contained at least four relatively large fully animated panels was basically completely nuts, but Kid Radd pulled it off without making anyone wait around for things to finish loading.

It pulled off this stunt by having every panel not be a single large file, but a careful combination of tiled backgrounds, text boxes and 1X1 pixel characters which were re-sized and placed onscreen through careful use of HTML coding. The full explanation of how creator Dan Miller did it is absolutely fascinating and should totally be read in full just to gain an appreciation of how the hell you could pull something like this off in an era when you couldn't take your reader's ability to download screen-sized animated gifs for granted.

Unfortunately over time, a lot of the HTML tricks that Kid Radd used just plain stopped working in modern browsers. You can still download archives or the original site, but a lot of it just plain won't work when you try to read it in Chrome or Mozilla. The mirror I linked above had to be extensively tweaked just to make it readable.

When you read it today in the year 2017 you can't really ignore how poorly some parts have aged. The cute little frame surrounding every panel was never really a very good idea. The tweaked version makes sure the re-sized character sprites all look good and blocky AS GOD INTENDED at the normal size, but if you zoom in for easier reading on your 1080p monitor you'll start seeing clashes between pixel and smudgy pretty quick. And it's kind of hard to not notice that all the word bubbles are actually HTML text boxes with slashes underneath them, especially when one character has way more to say than another, but all the bubbles take up the same amount of vertical space. And also, yeah some of the jokes are references to things that haven't been relevant in a decade. That too.

AN ILLUSTRATIVE SCREENCAP WHY NOT

But it kind of doesn't matter how obviously OLD INTERNET it is, because

2: "OH MY GOD THIS IS STILL REALLY FUCKING GOOD."

Kid Radd would be worth your attention if it was just an example of how to use every trick in the book to do everything MSPA did 7 years before it was cool. What elevates Kid Radd past a spot in the Computer Science hall of fame is the that in addition to all that crazy technical shit, it's also a really good webcomic. It takes the goofy premise of "What if the sprites in NES games were alive?" and spins it into a fully realized story with endearing, relatable characters! It addresses BIG SERIOUS QUESTIONS ON EXISTENTIALISM without vanishing up it's own asshole! It uses the rules of it's setting in creative yet still logical ways! It got serious without ever losing it's sense of humor! And the animation (which never really needed to go beyond simple 8-bit walking loops) gets downright amazing near the end.

TL;DR: Kid Radd is fucking PRIMO SHIT. I don't care how hard you've banged the "All sprite comics are bad" drum, it's a modern classic that can be read in a single afternoon. If you haven't already read it, you need to do so immediately.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:22 AM
More than two problems

Kid Radd is great! Still the only webcomic in existence that worked as a tech experiment while also being actually good to read.
Too bad the artist just sort of fell off the face of the earth, huh? I wonder what he could accomplish nowadays.

I did some research a while back and I'm certain a new, more evolved Kid Radd could be pulled off today with HTML5. It could be gloriously 56k-friendly and everything!
Which is what you'll need if the suits who want net neutrality dead ever get their way. You kids and your crazy 1-megabyte jpegs for every single page, you're not ready for what's coming...
Old 04-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Not a Beer

Oh man, there's a blast from the past. I remember reading Kid Radd religiously back in the day. Good times, good times.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM
I. Love. It.

Kid Radd is awesome and I need to re-read it one of these days. Thanks for linking a working archive, BEAT.

So was this, like, the only good sprite comic? I still have a fondness for MS Paint Masterpieces, even though it may never update again, since it grew into something really cool after starting out as a 'lol it's Bob and George again' comic. But when you get right down to it it was still just another Mega Man re-telling, while Kid Radd did really interesting stuff with its format and was completely original.

And that final battle, dang that was great stuff.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:37 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
KID RADD IS RAD
this was the best way to spend this afternoon

A+ webcomic, would forget about and read again
Old 05-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
So was this, like, the only good sprite comic? I still have a fondness for MS Paint Masterpieces, even though it may never update again, since it grew into something really cool after starting out as a 'lol it's Bob and George again' comic. But when you get right down to it it was still just another Mega Man re-telling, while Kid Radd did really interesting stuff with its format and was completely original.
I mean I enjoyed Clevinger's 8-bit Theater once it found its legs. But of course at its core it was still an FF1 retelling, with a lot of its own stuff added on.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 AM

8 Bit theater is actually pretty good.

Nowhere near as good as Kid Radd, but then what could be.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
this was the best way to spend this afternoon

A+ webcomic, would forget about and read again
I am overjoyed to have introduced you to this masterpiece.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Is there not one thing

2004 swinging back around in living colour

Old 05-08-2017, 05:14 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
So I was reminded of Kid Radd this week because reasons and decided to re-read it on a whim. The original website is tragically gone, but fortunately for us brave souls have risen to the challenge and ensured that it will be available to read forever.

Re-reading it, 2 things come very prominently to mind.

1: "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST WEB 1.0 THING EVER.

So Kid Radd isn't like most webcomics, which are simply comics that could just as easily be read on pieces of paper in a book. The closest comparison I can think of would have to be Homestuck, in that each panel is on it's own separate "page" and most of them are animated. But Homestuck started in 2009 when we all had super fast internet and wifi and shit, while Kid Radd started in 2002 when a decent chunk of us were still on dialup. The very idea of making a comic where every update contained at least four relatively large fully animated panels was basically completely nuts, but Kid Radd pulled it off without making anyone wait around for things to finish loading.

It pulled off this stunt by having every panel not be a single large file, but a careful combination of tiled backgrounds, text boxes and 1X1 pixel characters which were re-sized and placed onscreen through careful use of HTML coding. The full explanation of how creator Dan Miller did it is absolutely fascinating and should totally be read in full just to gain an appreciation of how the hell you could pull something like this off in an era when you couldn't take your reader's ability to download screen-sized animated gifs for granted.

Unfortunately over time, a lot of the HTML tricks that Kid Radd used just plain stopped working in modern browsers. You can still download archives or the original site, but a lot of it just plain won't work when you try to read it in Chrome or Mozilla. The mirror I linked above had to be extensively tweaked just to make it readable.

When you read it today in the year 2017 you can't really ignore how poorly some parts have aged. The cute little frame surrounding every panel was never really a very good idea. The tweaked version makes sure the re-sized character sprites all look good and blocky AS GOD INTENDED at the normal size, but if you zoom in for easier reading on your 1080p monitor you'll start seeing clashes between pixel and smudgy pretty quick. And it's kind of hard to not notice that all the word bubbles are actually HTML text boxes with slashes underneath them, especially when one character has way more to say than another, but all the bubbles take up the same amount of vertical space. And also, yeah some of the jokes are references to things that haven't been relevant in a decade. That too.

AN ILLUSTRATIVE SCREENCAP WHY NOT

But it kind of doesn't matter how obviously OLD INTERNET it is, because

2: "OH MY GOD THIS IS STILL REALLY FUCKING GOOD."

Kid Radd would be worth your attention if it was just an example of how to use every trick in the book to do everything MSPA did 7 years before it was cool. What elevates Kid Radd past a spot in the Computer Science hall of fame is the that in addition to all that crazy technical shit, it's also a really good webcomic. It takes the goofy premise of "What if the sprites in NES games were alive?" and spins it into a fully realized story with endearing, relatable characters! It addresses BIG SERIOUS QUESTIONS ON EXISTENTIALISM without vanishing up it's own asshole! It uses the rules of it's setting in creative yet still logical ways! It got serious without ever losing it's sense of humor! And the animation (which never really needed to go beyond simple 8-bit walking loops) gets downright amazing near the end.

TL;DR: Kid Radd is fucking PRIMO SHIT. I don't care how hard you've banged the "All sprite comics are bad" drum, it's a modern classic that can be read in a single afternoon. If you haven't already read it, you need to do so immediately.
The repeated use of the title screen makes it feel very sinister. It's like, "oh, he died again, back to the title screen"
Old 05-09-2017, 12:44 AM
Blue Comet

The last few pages of Girl Genius have been very entertaining for me. That might have been one of my favorite fights in any comic book ever
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, that was a satisfying knock-down, drag-out, everyone vs a single overwhelming opponent fight. I wouldn't want the whole comic to be this sort of thing, but letting everyone let loose once in a while is good fun.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
2004 swinging back around in living colour
See it and raise.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:24 PM
oh my car

I think that today's Kill Six Billion Demons is a good use of alt text.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Bob

Kidd Radd was how I learned about some of the video game injokes before I even knew what they were referencing (i.e. doing a ton of damage to an unbeatable boss and going to a special place because of it, like Chrono Trigger). I also vaguely was remembering it not too long ago, although I forgot what it was called. I'll have to take a look back through it!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 AM
oh my car

What happened to all the video game webcomics?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:24 AM

Copyright.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 AM
post-mystic lich princess

I'm fond of Badnix, as a deliberate and ceaseless blend of SNES-era video games (using some of the same "other side" conceit as Kidd Radd, actually), though it took until about 2-6 to get itself really going on its dramatics front and the rare gamer culture references still aren't that great.

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 05-16-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eishtmo View Post
Copyright.
I don't recall a single instance of copyright complaints causing problems for a video games webcomic.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I don't recall a single instance of copyright complaints causing problems for a video games webcomic.
Less that and more "I can't sell this stuff because it has a copyrighted character on it." Can't make money on it, can't live. Ads can't pay the bills, so they wandered off to do other stuff.

Patreon has changed that, but now most people are just creating their own stuff.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 PM
is Earnest

Small Enough is a beautiful little comic essay by Dustin Harbin.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM
More than two problems

MMMM I'M HOPPIN MAD

Okay, so

When Matt Furie's character was ruined by Donald Trump and the nazis, he decided the only thing to do was kill that character.

Meanwhile David Willis still likes Robin and she still will not leave, even after she was given a third (fourth?) ending by paying for her crimes with her career. Now he's trying to redeem her by having her try to get rid of the date rape guy.
There's something that really bugs me about apologising for that whole debacle by trying to have it both ways. Robin isn't James Comey, she's the very group of jackals he handed the country over to in the first place. It should be one of her aides who gets this story. Call her "Schmobin", I don't care as long as it's not the same monster who got a Looney Tunes-branded hall pass in a comic that otherwise punishes its villains and insists you should hate them. A comic which, again, exists in a world where the people Robin represents are in charge and the only people who like it wouldn't be too upset if we died as a direct result.

I really think Willis should never have stopped doing Shortpacked because even after ten years he's clearly not over it. He's got kids now, but even one page per month might have been the outlet that could have kept him from this fairly obvious "political satire and also improbable superhero antics" constipation that keeps sabotaging a comic built on "These kids' problems are all real and should be depicted with the gravity they deserve".

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics