The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Totally Radicola!

I can't believe this game (well, the original) is 10 years old.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Man, March is shaping up to be an embarrassment of riches.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Picked up the Vita version, it seems like a solid port, though of course it's cropped on the sides since the original game was specifically designed to fit 4:3.

I've noticed some minor changes in dialog/hints and some additional signs/markings in the background. The bestiary (which also includes NPCs) is great, as most of the entries include some artwork along with the description.

Only one boss down so far, though I've explored the first 4 areas pretty thoroughly.

I played the Wii version about half way through on Hard (by accident) then restarted and got about three quarters of the way through (6 bosses down) when I avoided triggering Hard mode.

I'm hoping being able to playing it on a whim will let me actual finish it this time.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
MOE~

I bought the Vita version as well. The added signage in the village seems pretty pointless, and kinda gaudy even. Not like it hurts the game. But I really do wonder why in a game as esoteric as this you'd go out of your way to point out something so obvious.

Anyways.

This is a great game. Chunky action and satisfying puzzles. So far I've been blundering through the game solving things accidentally or through sheer intuition. I've found two jewels and killed two bosses. I found another Ankh but need to find another jewel to challenge its boss. I've got maybe one or two obvious loose-ends that need to be followed up on, so I'm hoping those leads don't go cold otherwise I'm going to have to start recording notes (via one of the in-game apps (so cool!)) and going back to puzzles I'd left behind. The last Metroidvania I played was Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. That game was like eating at Jack-in-the-Box. It got the job done, but I felt unsatisfied and kinda dirty afterwards. Comparatively, La-Mulana is a steak dinner. Every bite is full of flavor so I'm taking my time to savor it while I can.

Last edited by Belmont; 03-15-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I've been Vita-ing this too and it really is a treat. Definitely one of my favourite games ever.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM
MOE~

I love how I have three games on my Vita where I get to assume the role of an Indiana Jones character archetype.

1001 Spikes
Spelunky
La-Mulana
Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 AM
one zero zero one SOS

This game gave me so much grief over the months it took me to beat, including the four month divorce during which the game and I were not on speaking terms.

Now I inexplicably think back on it as one of the best games I've ever played.

If only my IRL friends liked these kinds of games. I'd love to sit and actually watch someone get broken by it, and then doggedly fight through to the end to realize they love it. A sort of Dark Souls cycle.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 PM
MOE~

I made a lot of progress today (double jump!)—but I also kind of ran out of ideas on where else to go so I'm going to put this on ice for a while. I've got mixed feelings about it. While I would like for some things to be more organic and less obtuse, for the first time in forever I'm not just going through the motions playing not only a video game, but a metroidvania at that.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:35 AM

I played La-Mulana up to the second boss. At that point I already had to look up the solutions of about 80% of the puzzles, which kinda dragged down my motivation to play it and when I just couldn't beat the second boss, I gave up.

Also, it's incredibly annoying that you always have to walk all the way to the hot spring to fully recover. They should have just made it so you fully recover at save points.

What I would have wished for in this game was something that marks the map-parts that still have unsolved puzzles on them. If I know where to investigate further, then I probably wouldn't have needed to use a FAQ at all. Plus it'd makes it easier to decide "where to go next".

Other than that, the game was quite enjoyable.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM

I've now cleared the first 4 bosses, which is is about as much as I can do from memory, having played the first part of the game about 3 times now.

I will agree that some of the puzzles are really obtuse, even with the ability to take notes; and on my previous play through I had to start reading FAQs after boss 6, as I couldn't find any way to progress further. Having to resort to FAQs just to progress at all is what lead to me dropping it for something else in my last play through, but I've still enjoyed my time with the Vita port.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 PM
MOE~

This game took a pretty sharp turn for the worse.

Like, I really appreciate what this game is doing. But I just don't have the wherewithal to put myself in the mindset required to enjoy it on its own terms. As is, playing let alone thinking about La-Mulana has become a stressful experience. 5 bosses down and I'm feeling pretty burnt out of the idea of the game. I'll totally get back to it and finish it, but for now, I don't want anything to do with it. I don't think any other game has really given me such a gamut of emotions like this.

There's a reason that game design has evolved past the notions set forth by Maze of Gallious, but once again, I do admire what this game is doing. I just need some time apart.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:16 AM
Chief Servbot

Angry

This game is hateful and I hate it and its creators should go directly to jail

(I may or may not have played this game for 8 hours straight last night)
Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 AM
one zero zero one SOS

There were a couple of riddle solutions that made me feel that way too. I distinctly remember flipping some papers off my desk when I looked up that kneeling was the solution to a riddle despite the character not having an animation for it.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
There were a couple of riddle solutions that made me feel that way too. I distinctly remember flipping some papers off my desk when I looked up that kneeling was the solution to a riddle despite the character not having an animation for it.
I refuse to believe anyone has beaten the Gates of Illusion without either looking at a FAQ or receiving some sort of government grant to research this game full time.

I'm more apprehensive about the many puzzles that simply cause something else to happen somewhere else in the world without any hint or logic. Like how beating Viy causes a door to the Tower of the Goddess to appear under the waterfall at the surface. Why? Damned if I know!

I admire the hell out of this game but I don't know if I can bring myself to love a game that so adamantly refuses to love me back.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I admire the hell out of this game but I don't know if I can bring myself to love a game that so adamantly refuses to love me back.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Chief Servbot

I think I'm done with this game. I've got like 90% of the inventory and defeated every Guardian except Tiamat, and at this point it just feels like I'm clawing my way uphill. I've got the wiki on the game open pretty much nonstop at this point. Also they give you a fixed jump but then expect you to do a Megaman-style disappearing block gauntlet, which pissed me right off.

Whatever I'm probably gonna play La-Mulana 2
Old 06-11-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I've got the wiki on the game open pretty much nonstop at this point.
This sounds a lot more like work than entertainment.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:41 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
This sounds a lot more like work than entertainment.
At one point I pieced together the alpha-numeric conventions to the in-game hieroglyphics.

It only kind of helped.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM
MOE~

La-Mulana is the type of game that pushes its own boundaries too far for comfort. But I'm glad that it exists.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Better be the real thing.

I just treated the FAQ as a gameplay component after a certain point, and wound up liking the game pretty well. I figured, what the hey: I played plenty of NES and SNES games with the help of player's guides, why stop now?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
I just treated the FAQ as a gameplay component after a certain point, and wound up liking the game pretty well. I figured, what the hey: I played plenty of NES and SNES games with the help of player's guides, why stop now?
Same. The first half of the game, where I could actually figure out the puzzles, was a bit more fun, though.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM

So what's the best way to enjoy this game for someone who has given up early? I've explored a bunch of the first dungeon, and found a couple new areas. It was unclear if I could continue in the first dungeon, and then I died a few times in a watery ruins area ('Spring in the Sky'?) and stopped playing. Probably a little over an hour of solid progress on this file.

Based on this limited impression (and what I heard about the game going in), it didn't feel like the clues the game was giving me would ever click. While playing, I imagined the areas I've 'explored' might contain hidden puzzles that I wouldn't even be aware of without randomly trying things. Would I even realize that there are puzzles to be solved, and that the clues are related to them?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes, let's feast!

The best way to play the game is with the Invisiclues guide. You get hints at your own pace. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM

Terrific, that's an even better answer than I was expecting.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Better be the real thing.

Now I wish I'd found that when I played.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Now I wish I'd found that when I played.
You should have used the Invisiclues Meta-Guide.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:01 PM

I started a fresh attempt at La-Mulana yesterday (PC remake version), and holy smokes I've made it through the first dungeon. Moreover, I actually enjoyed the game this time.

3 years ago I gave up during the first dungeon after an hour. Never before have I been so satisfied to make it through 2 hours of a game.

The biggest reason was being in the right mindset for this game. Before returning to La-Mulana, I had just finished a point and click adventure game. I completed it without guides, but not without multiple periods of being completely stuck. Each time I'd spend a couple days rethinking my assumptions and trying unfruitful ideas. I consciously realized how enjoyable it was being stumped provided I was patient and not trying to force immediate progress. I think you can see where this is going and why I thought it would be a good time to reattempt La-Mulana.

Both of these games also got me thinking about the idea of "having an overall positive experience while still giving up". For a while now, I've basically regarded games where I lose interest before finishing (especially early on) as having turned out to be a waste of time. But when I was younger, the idea of never making it past a certain point didn't seem to be as damning of an assessment. I'm not sure if this has to do with the nature of the game or the nature of one's perspective.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
The best way to play the game is with the Invisiclues guide. You get hints at your own pace. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Bloody hell. I'm going to start a fresh play with this.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 PM
Chief Servbot

Man when's La-Mulana 2 out anyways
Old 03-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Does the PC remake have a toggle for graphics and music or not?

The configuration menu has a space for changing the both of these settings, but it defaults to 'original' and can't be changed. (and 'original' seems like the wrong word choice, but what do I know..)

Edit: Nevermind! It seems like that config space is for mod support.

Tags
difficulty , la mulana , la-mulana , msx pain train