The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
More than two problems

Hey guys, I think it's kind of funny that pretty much all the game's graphics are stored in easily edited bmp files, meaning anyone with half a degree of skill could re-skin the whole game. But nobody does this. Could it be they appreciate the obvious skill it takes to make it look as good as it does with lo-res sprites and only 16 colors allowed ever?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Totally Radicola!

Default La-Mulana Returns

Hey, the remake's been out for 3 weeks and I haven't seen a word about it here on TT! Jeremy even has a Thank you in the credits!

If you wanted to like the original La-Mulana but were put off by the obliqueness of it all, the new version is straightforward and forgiving.

Relatively.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Toxic Boots

I've been listening to the soundtrack non-stop since Giant Bomb's quick look went up. Fantastic stuff.

The game has been on the fringe of my radar for a while, but I didn't realize just how appealing it would be to me. Fake Indiana Jones in a Metroidvania where you fight some supernatural forces to MSX music? Baby, I'm sorry for not putting you in the spotlight.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

As excited as I am about the remake, it's fake-MSX version for me. Mainly because I A) know the important rom combos by heart and B) am too impressed with what was accomplished graphically while adhering to the MSX's limitations. Some of the bosses look absolutely fantastic.

I just hope they made the logical second boss easier for the newcomers. Front-loading difficulty in an already uncompromising game was not a good idea. That thing takes me five or six tries every time, even with knowing what needs to be done.

Also, less permanently fail-able puzzles for ultimate equipment.

... Man, I'm gonna have to go play it right now, aren't I?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
King Of Space-Time

Oh hey I have this.

Tis' nice.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Video World 13 is out!

I've been playing the remake, and while I absolutely love the shit out of it, it is barely La Mulana. Infinitely more accessible, none of the MSX trappings, multiple save points, treasures much easier to get, enemies more forgiving... basically, it's La Mulana for those who found La Mulana irritatingly obfuscating.

Highly recommended either way. A wonderful game.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Hey guys, I think it's kind of funny that pretty much all the game's graphics are stored in easily edited bmp files, meaning anyone with half a degree of skill could re-skin the whole game. But nobody does this. Could it be they appreciate the obvious skill it takes to make it look as good as it does with lo-res sprites and only 16 colors allowed ever?
Well, it's supposed to be a nostalgic throwback to a computer with a very particular visual style. If it were in my power to do so, I'd make the scrolling in that fight against the jumping fish a lot less choppy, but then it wouldn't look like an MSX game.

I've actually changed some of the sprites in the game, replacing the lead hero with one of my own characters, and it IS sinfully easy. However, it doesn't add much to the game beyond personalizing it. As for a complete overhaul, well... I've seen the remake and it's a little too polished for its own good. The images I've seen online give me uncomfortable flashbacks of Final Fantasy VII, where hardly anything was visible because of the dimly lit areas and overreliance on computer rendering. Given the choice, I'd much rather have the single colored characters to the information-obscuring excesses of the remake.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

I'm finding the remake a lot easier, too, so I've decided to stop playing for now and revisit the original, which I'm pretty sure I never finished. I hope I can get back into it!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM
barf

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I've been playing the remake, and while I absolutely love the shit out of it, it is barely La Mulana. Infinitely more accessible, none of the MSX trappings, multiple save points, treasures much easier to get, enemies more forgiving... basically, it's La Mulana for those who found La Mulana irritatingly obfuscating.

Highly recommended either way. A wonderful game.
Is it easier? I think it's just easier to navigate because the objects within the levels are more visually distinct from one another. Xelpud does send those emails now, but I've almost invariably figured out what he tells me long before he sends it. They're also becoming more sarcastic and deliberately useless as the game progresses.

The save points are rare, but it doesn't impact the game too much because most of your time is spent figuring out what to do; once you know where you're going, getting back to where you were is gravy. Delicious turkey gravy in your hands. It reminds me a little of the saveless RPG we came up with on selectbutton.net a long time ago.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Thunder Wool

I'm sad this isn't on a console and/or Mac, and hasn't been released on Steam.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Brew View Post
Is it easier?
After last night's session I can confidently revise my opinion from "easier" to "possibly harder, due to seemingly giving you less HP to work with, and when you reload it retains your terrible HP".
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Totally Radicola!

Puzzles, as a whole, are easier to grok. (Mini)Boss fights are tougher, not only because they have all been revamped (sometimes in major ways), but also because you can't spam subweapons like you could before and end them in 4 seconds. However, you get an auto save at every warp tablet, so an unexpected death won't send you back very far.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Looks like NIGORO is working on a sequel. No release time frame given, though it sounds like they want to put it out on as many platforms as possible.

Reminds me I still need go back and finish the original on the Wii. My playtrough kind of petered out not too long after beating the giant eyeball boss.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Come on, 3DS version!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM

Is anyone playing this? I got it for three bucks on the steam weekend sale. I'm loving the hell out of it. The dungeon design is phenomenal. I love how small every stage is--no more than sixteen squares, I think--which means you spend much less time backtracking and much, much more time figuring out how all the rooms interact with each other. Whereas even in a game as relatively compact as Super Metroid I'd occasionally get frustrated at having to run to every old area to test out every new ability, with the insta-warp here travel is always a breeze. And while I was irritated at first that I have to actually write down the riddles manually, it encourages an amusingly obsessive relationship with the game. You get to spend even off time racking your brain over WHAT these ruins could be trying to tell you. It's kind of a Lemezza simulator in that way.

It also features the best use ever of a mine cart. Thinking, "how is this going to be useful, ever?" and having that answered is one of my favorite moments in any game this year.

Edit: some very difficult puzzles solved. Very brilliant use of the map in this game. Wowee.

Last edited by MikeDinosaur; 12-31-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:32 AM
King Of Space-Time

I'm slowly trying to branch out from the gate area. Damned if I'm not a bit stumped about where to go and what to do... I do find it interesting that, like Spelunky, you can run through spikes safely.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 AM

I have been playing the Wii version on and off in marathon bursts for several months now. I have managed to beat 5 of the bosses but reached a point where I need to do a lot of prep work for the next few and put the game down again.

I really like the game a lot though some of the puzzles can be so obscure that I feel there's no way you could figure them out without some exterior help.

I also had to start over after playing for 20 something hours after I found it impossible to clear the 3rd boss because I had inadvertently turned on hard mode.

If there's just one thing to look up online it is how you turn in hard mode and then be sure to avoid doing it.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM

The secret to La-Mulana is that you can almost never clear an area when you reach it.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Anyone have any relatively-non-spoilery advice on finding the ankh jewel in the sun temple? I feel like I've tried almost everything. Wound up having to use the one from the floating spring. Is that just what everyone does? Already beat the miniboss.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinosaur View Post
Anyone have any relatively-non-spoilery advice on finding the ankh jewel in the sun temple? I feel like I've tried almost everything. Wound up having to use the one from the floating spring. Is that just what everyone does? Already beat the miniboss.
There should be a tablet that talks about the Eye of Wedjat (or maybe Udjat), I think? This is hinting at a puzzle you need to solve.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

KickStarter for La-Mulana 2 just went live.

I don't think there's any doubt it will reach it's goal, though some of the platform porting stretch goals may be a bit much.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

While getting a sequel on a platform I would play it on would make me happier then a pig in a poke, I would be equally pleased with the original getting ported to the 3DS, or heck, even re-released for the WiiU.

I mean, yeah, its on the Wii, and the U is backwards compatible with it, but I need a wiimote on hand when I'm playing it on the gamepad.

What is this? Medieval France?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:22 AM

The La-Mulana 2 KickStarter has reached it's base goal with a couple of days to go. I doubt they'll reach any of their port goals during the main campaign but they've said they'll be taking money through PayPal after, so maybe a portable or console version will still happen.

They also have a playable demo! It's got about an hours worth of content.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

All it needs is a mind-shatteringly huge boost to donations and it will get ported to something I can actually play it on!

But at least it hit the "Project lead will eat spicy curry for four days" stretch goal. I was worried it wouldn't.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM

I don't understand La-Mulana. My sister bought it for Wii and I played it a little bit.

I got stuck after getting to about the third boss (I think I beat the multi-headed snake and the guy in mine-cart). It seems like one of those games that requires a internet faq. I hate games where the in game clues are not sufficient to get the average player throughout the game.

I religiously avoid looking at faqs, but turned to one after spending about 3 hrs not knowing what to do in La-Mulana. I read about 2 paragraphs of make sure you do your order in step X Y Z sequence. Thats enough for me...

Its not like I'm adverse to difficult games. I've beaten Spelunky, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Super Ghouls n Ghosts. But La-Mulana, frustrated me to the point that I just quit it. The in game clues are WAY to obscure.

What is the appeal of this game? Am I missing something here?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I religiously avoid looking at faqs, but turned to one after spending about 3 hrs not knowing what to do in La-Mulana. I read about 2 paragraphs of make sure you do your order in step X Y Z sequence. Thats enough for me...
While I also try to avoid FAQs when possible I don't feel too tortured after looking up an answer when a particular puzzle or clue keeps me from progressing.

For me at least, I have been able to solve the majority of La-Mulana's puzzles though either intuition or sometimes a bit of trial and error. And for those that I did end up having to use an external reference for I never felt to bad about for some reason.

Even with all the puzzle solutions in hand, La-Mulana requires a skilled level of play to accomplish most tasks. That's probably why I find getting past a challenge rewarding, even if I had to reference an external source in the process.

Outside of how the game plays, I enjoy the general visual design and music. Nigoro created a whole world with it's own detailed history and mythology and I appreciate learning about this world by investigating the ruins on my own terms instead of being feed it in cut scenes or character monologues.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
While I also try to avoid FAQs when possible I don't feel too tortured after looking up an answer when a particular puzzle or clue keeps me from progressing.

For me at least, I have been able to solve the majority of La-Mulana's puzzles though either intuition or sometimes a bit of trial and error. And for those that I did end up having to use an external reference for I never felt to bad about for some reason.

Even with all the puzzle solutions in hand, La-Mulana requires a skilled level of play to accomplish most tasks. That's probably why I find getting past a challenge rewarding, even if I had to reference an external source in the process.

Outside of how the game plays, I enjoy the general visual design and music. Nigoro created a whole world with it's own detailed history and mythology and I appreciate learning about this world by investigating the ruins on my own terms instead of being feed it in cut scenes or character monologues.
I will give the game points for player discovery. The diaries and diagrams are a cool way to learn about the world. Reading about the giant brothers and seeing which were which was satisfying.

But on the whole the obtuseness of the game kept me from going back to it. I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent and I would get to places where I literally had no clue where to go and five different linked worlds, that might possibly lead to a new part.

Running into too many brick walls got old for me.

I'll contrast that experience with Portal 2, which I'm playing at the moment with my friend. In Portal, the specific solution is not given to you, but the objective is clear. In La-Mulana I found neither the solution nor the objective from moment to moment clear.

I think La-Mulana is a game that I wanted to like, but ended up not liking. Which is perhaps worse than having a low opinion of a game and then not liking it. My first 1hr was fun, the general aesthetic was fun, but then the difficulty of the game or clues gets cranked up and it left me in the dark.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM
the :motion: stands

Yeah, La Mulana is an excellent game if you want to spend a lot of time dicking around and slowly discovering things.

It's totally okay if you don't want to do that though. You won't be missing much of anything that you'd find enjoyable in the end.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Instead of clogging up the Gripe/Like threads with my shitty La-Mulana posts I'll just bump this.

So, 40 hours in I finally cracked and used the wiki for the solution to a puzzle. I'm a little bit disappointed in myself that I couldn't keep from caving - but in my defense, I would never have figured it out and had I stumbled on the answer I would have been more angry than satisfied.*

*That teleporter sequence in the Gates of Illusion. Thinking back, one of the tablets does say to search on one knee, but I never would have guessed to just press DOWN in that exact spot like that.

I am indeed once again stuck, but I have a few more areas opened up that I think I can figure out what to do with some persistence.

I've killed five guardians and I have a sixth Ankh revealed. A lot of my inventory is filled, but I feel like I've missed some things as well: I got an achievement for killing Zu without stopping time - but I had/have no idea where to get that item anyway, even though I knew it was out there because of clues.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Default La-Mulana EX comes out for Vita next week

La-Mulana EX comes out for the Vita next week. The release dates are March 3 for North America and March 4 for Europe.

Read more about it here

Tags
difficulty , la mulana , la-mulana , msx pain train