The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Default That Talking Time Thread About That Game Company

I played Journey for the first time last year and loved it, and I just got an itch to replay it. But since I have the collection for PS3, I figured I'd play flOw and Flower first. flOw was amazing (I love how the deeper you go the more ethereal it gets), and Flower has been great so far, too (it goes from upbeat to foreboding so far). And now I come to find out they've got a new game slated for this year.

So lets talk about gorgeous games whose main theme is transformation and evolution.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Who?..
Old 03-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I played Journey for the first time last year and loved it, and I just got an itch to replay it. But since I have the collection for PS3, I figured I'd play flOw and Flower first. flOw was amazing (I love how the deeper you go the more ethereal it gets), and Flower has been great so far, too (it goes from upbeat to foreboding so far). And now I come to find out they've got a new game slated for this year.

So lets talk about gorgeous games whose main theme is transformation and evolution.
Have you played Abzu? You should it's Journey but underwater and with fish friends!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Who?..
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM
is Earnest

Flower didn't grab me, but Journey is one of my all time favorite games. Flow is neat, but I don't think I played it since it came out, so I don't remember much about it.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

I haven't played flOw, but Flower and Journey are two of my favourite games. Journey, especially, has given me some of the most moving and memorable experiences I've had with a video game. Not just with the story, either, but the multiplayer aspect is really interesting; because the game offers no real way to communicate or interact with each other, any attempt made by the players feels that much more meaningful.

One of my favourite times in Journey is when I was playing the penultimate level with another fellow and we came to a big, windcurrent jump leading to a high platform. The other player made it, but I bumbled and missed the platform at the end. The other player shouted. I readied myself and tried again, only to fail that time too— prompting another shout. I made the jump on my third try, but all the while felt kind of bad about it, like I was letting my friend down. When I made it to the top, the other player was still waiting for me, and I noticed this was actually the end of the level. The other player could have gotten fed up with me and advanced without me at any time, but he chose to patiently wait for me to make it up there with them (and no, this wasn't the first player I met in this run, so there was no achievement on the line). It recontextualized the whole thing— suddenly, those shouts weren't "get a move on", but "you can do it"— and it gave me this real sense of camaraderie with this fellow.

It comes across a bit cheesy when I relay the story, and honestly, maybe it is. But it felt really special in the moment, which is more than I can say about most games.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

None of 'em are games I'd replay too often, but Flower and Journey are both awesome experiences; fl0w, not as much from what I'd played of it.

I really should play ABZŰ eventually.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
It comes across a bit cheesy when I relay the story
Not cheesy at all. That's a great story.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM
It's all good, man

Flower > Journey > Flow
Old 03-09-2017, 06:06 AM
Gesundheit!

I enjoyed the "gameyness" of Flower a lot more than Journey, which was beautiful, but I felt like I was just holding forward on the analog stick a lot of the time.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Sudden chomper

Seconding the recommendation for Abzu, it's 100% in line with the "official" TGC games. Plus, the people who made it love them the hell out of some fish. There are detailed recreations of dozens of species, and you can sit on a shark statue and just watch them swim around for as long as you want.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Not a Beer

Loved their main three games, guess I should check out Abzu sometime. What's the word on the new game for this year, got a link?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I enjoyed the "gameyness" of Flower a lot more than Journey, which was beautiful, but I felt like I was just holding forward on the analog stick a lot of the time.
Interesting, I feel exactly the opposite. There was so much more to explore and interact with in Journey.

And yes, play Abzu. Seeing underwater realms in that style is gorgeous. I think the game took me two hours?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Finished all three of them. Man, what a beautiful trio of gaming experiences.

Journey should have been called "Flowest".
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

flOw didn't grab me, but I adore Flower and Journey. I'll have to pick up Abzu, based on this thread.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
flOw didn't grab me, but I adore Flower and Journey. I'll have to pick up Abzu, based on this thread.
If you adored Journey you will love Abzu. Very similar themes but the lushness of the setting makes for a very different feel
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
An Animal of Joy

Because of cross-buy and/or PS+ freebies I would happily replay each of these games when they came out on a new Playstation. Journey will probably never be on Vita unfortunately, but I got to replay it a third time anyway when I got pinned under a sleeping newborn for a couple hours last fall and was just barely in reach of the PS3 controller.

flOw was my first PSN download on my PSP, I really enjoyed it. It was my calming game for my bus commute for a while.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
If you adored Journey you will love Abzu. Very similar themes but the lushness of the setting makes for a very different feel
I love Journey but Abzu left me cold, it just didn't have the same emotional core to me. It is astoundingly beautiful, though, and you can ride a manatee
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I love Journey but Abzu left me cold, it just didn't have the same emotional core to me. It is astoundingly beautiful, though, and you can ride a manatee
Seriously, it's so pretty.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Not a Beer

Someone please bump this thread when Abzu has a good PSN sale, thx!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Someone please bump this thread when Abzu has a good PSN sale, thx!
Abzu is also on Steam, and the Steam app sends you a notification on your cellular phone when a game on your wishlist is on sale. This obviously depends on the age and graphics capability of your compy, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Not a Beer

Good to know in general, but I don't use Steam much (I have an account but rarely log in) and I'm significantly less likely to actually get around to playing games on PC. This in particular looks like I'd want it on a big screen with a decent controller, so I'll definitely wait on a good PSN price. Got plenty of backlog meanwhile.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

I'm afraid this isn't a PSN sale, but a Steam one: Abzu's 70% off this week. I was planning to get this on PS4 but I can't turn down that price.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Not a Beer

Alas, yeah, if that were PSN I'd be tempted, but not just to add it to my permanently neglected desktop backlog.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
I played Abzu this weekend, and I'm afraid I agree with this. It is undeniably gorgeous, but it lacks any depth; the story, such as it is, is too poor to give any emotional resonance. It's too vague, for starters: the player character's motives aren't clear— neither at the start nor why they decide to rebel against the machines— and it wasn't until I read a plot summary that I learned the shark was apparently my ally the whole time. But worse, it's just rote and familiar. It hits the same notes as Flower and Journey did, right down to the dark penultimate level leading to a joyous, cathartic finale. I already thought it was brazen of Journey to repeat that, but it got away with it because it made it work; Abzu, however, doesn't have the strength or conviction to do that, so instead it feels like it's following a template.

I would still recommend it, but temper your expectations accordingly. The $7 I paid felt like a fair price.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Chief Servbot

Coincidentally, Abzu is free for PS+ Members this month. It's definitely worth a play just to gawk at the visuals, methinks.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 AM
Come, noble knights!

Just started playing ABZŰ myself. If nothing else, it's got some really lovely visual/audio aesthetics.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I played Abzu this weekend, and I'm afraid I agree with this. It is undeniably gorgeous, but it lacks any depth; the story, such as it is, is too poor to give any emotional resonance.
Wow. I'm the complete opposite: I was pretty meh on Journey and had no idea what was supposed to be happening, but I just finished Abzu and I would easily rank it among the most beautiful and affecting games I've ever played.

Tags
games are art , no the other game company , who?