The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 AM
#deadfish2017

Default Cool things are in Breath of the Wild (SPOILERS)

Find a cool thing in that there Hyrule? Here's your place to gush!

This is your only warning if you want to avoid spoilers, things in this thread will be all dangling out in the open.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Outraged!

In case you were trying to follow BB's advice in the other thread and couldn't get the shield surfing to work: you need to jump while holding Zl, then press A, not pull your shield out while jumping.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 AM
so exciting!

You can beat up a skeleton and steal their arms to use as a weapon
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Half-Ninja

Man, these memory flash backs are neat.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM
McBear

I spent most of Friday afternoon and all Saturday playing this game, and holy shit, I want to keep going. This game, for all the gripes of "lol wide open spaces with nothing in them", proves that argument is bullshit. There is Shit To Do (c) in this game, and I am loving every minute of it.

I just unlocked the Guardian weapons shop in the far north-east, but I need hella parts for it.

I was wandering by a horse stable, and said "hi" to Beedle, and he just up and gave me a Guardian arrow.

Anyone hit the cap for heart or stamina upgrades? I'm at 6 hearts and 3/5 for stamina, but one of those hearts was from beating the Elephant Ancient Beast dungeon.

Speaking of which, that Zora prince guy? What is he even fist-pump/teeth glinting for? All he did was make it so I could dolphin my way up for those awesome aerial shots at the elephant's exterior glowing weak spots.

Did I mention that boss fight is fucking awesome?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 AM
oh my car

I like the way it indicates that an NPC has a quest for you by just adding an icon to the existing text bubble.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 AM
oh my car

So hey where do you go to redeem Korok Seeds after the initial two?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 AM
This Guy

I've found him near every stable except for the one on the way to kakariko.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
So hey where do you go to redeem Korok Seeds after the initial two?
Area Name spoiler: Lost Woods

Exact Location spoiler: Directly North of Hyrule Castle
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM
oh my car

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:37 AM
oh my car

It's weird that the camera has a zoom but the scope does not. Whose prostate do I have to massage to get that upgrade (if it even exists)?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM
oh my car

An NPC just told me that if you dump mushrooms in the river, bass that provide the same cooking effect will be drawn to them.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I've been playing for a while now, and only went to Kakariko Village after 6 or 7 hours in. I went beach-combing instead.

I threw a bomb at a lizardman to try and blow him up. He swiped it away with his tail.

Also Zora's Domain is very pretty. I thought "Well of course its always raining here, they're an aquatic species they probably like it wet all the time."

I went to the top of a mountain while exploring the jungle forest place to find out why it kept raining around that big rock. On the top of the mountain was a Lynel, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. If you don't do anything, then when he notices you he'll just stare you down. I walked very slowly toward him and eventually he drew his weapon but still didn't move. He won't attack you unless you attack first. I broke like every weapon I had trying to beat him (it was good stuff too) and I was only just starting to get the knack for cooking at the time so I only had heart-restoration stuff. I broke his super-spear mining rocks.

I brought it over to my friend's place so we could play together, and he fought a skeleton hinox. Got a giant boomerang from it, right after having discovered the lizard boomerangs. So the look of joy on his face was pretty indescribable. This is absolutely a game to play with friends on the couch.

I'm on the island-adventure shrine right now, and its very hard.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:06 PM
oh my car

Can I just say that I love everything about the Lost Woods including the shrine?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:01 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Fuck everything about this Vah Ruta beast. The puzzles in this game were a decent challenge until this complete fucking roadblock.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I've discovered a use for gems besides selling them. In Gerudo Town (southwest region), a jeweller wants ten Flints. If you give them to her, she opens up an accessory store. The accessories are headgear with low defense but high passive resistances (plus one that increases swim speed) and they cost several hundred rupees each plus between two and ten of a certain kind of gemstone.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
An NPC just told me that if you dump mushrooms in the river, bass that provide the same cooking effect will be drawn to them.
Throwing bombs works just fine enough for me, but nice of the game to give more than one solution to a problem.

Since this is where we spoil cool things, here's my Breath of the Wild report: followed the plot by heading east, activating the regional tower and clearing two more shrines. I've already run into three nasty surprises:

1. My first storm started just as I arrived to the Outpost Ruins. I immediately unequipped anything metallic, but since lightning kept striking dangerously close (I later found out the outpost ruins have a lot of rusted weapons lying around) I teleported back to the Great Plateau Tower to wait out the storm.

2. I figured I could teleport back to the Great Plateau and either use the bed in the Old Man's cabin or the campfire in the Bokoblin camp that's close to the Tower to avoid getting jumped by all the night monsters while exploring. But just as I started passing the time to dawn... Blood Moon cutscene! And then dawn came, and the camp was full of Bokoblins once again. They were easily bested, but I learned my lesson about assuming I could skip the Blood Moon.

3. I tried climbing a hill to snipe at a Bokoblin camp from the relative safety of the high ground. Found a nice cooking pot with a few shrubberies surrounding it. One of those shrubberies was an Octorok in disguise. I was approaching the place from the Octorok's side, so it wasn't as nasty as it could have been, but you gotta respect the sadism in the visual. (PS: The Bokoblin camp was empty anyway. Some meat merchant uses it as a resting spot.)

This game can be ridiculously tense. People complaining about it being dull don't know what they're talking about.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:37 PM
oh my car

I also encountered an NPC who mentioned something about a forge where ore can be found. I'm guessing that's located in Goron City.

In Zora's Domain, you can exchange Luminous Stones for Diamond at a rate of 10:1.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I hope this game puts an end to the obnoxious "You guys, it's the Legend of Zelda, clearly it's the same archetypal tale retold over the eons" argument, given that I've found multiple instances of the events and characters of Ocarina of Time being referenced by name and in very specific detail.

It won't, but I like to think positive.

It's also amusing seeing how many obscure references they worked into the location names, too. I think my favorite so far are four islands on the far eastern edge of the map named Tingel, Knuckel, Ankel, and Davdi. I can't wait to see what I find there.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Got the rare tunic from 8-bit link it looks good!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Nothing's as good as knocking a bokoblin off his horse and then taking the horse and running away with it. One of these days I'll stay on the horse long enough to actually get it trained, because they have a habit of getting hit by wandering skeleton monsters and such when I dismount them outside of towns, causing them to dash off like there's no tomorrow.

Also fun was the time early in the game I pushed a rock off a platform near an enemy camp and it blew up their dynamite barrels, killing basically everyone immediately.

I found a camp up near the peak of one of the mountains, but didn't want to try to fly over to them while they were shooting arrows at me. So instead I shot my last few arrows at them as well as I could, and dodged the ones they shot at me well enough to add them to my collection -- definitely cheaper than buying them at a shop!

Discovering the blue light rabbit was cool, then I got a note on the world screen saying that shooting it gives you money so I did that. Also a very cost-effective proposition, because one hit can more than pay for the arrow you spent to hit it.

I took a pretty calm route over to the Zora palace, using the patented shortcut of ice blocks over the river until I reached a route on the other side, and climbed up high enough to drop into the palace on my glider and catch the Zora prince guy by surprise.

I completed two of the kiosks in the zora elephant thing before getting the map. (DISCLAIMER: This would have been cooler if I'd known that the map area's door was supposed to be lifted up by ice blocks rather than the result of activating those kiosks... I effectively sequence-broke the dungeon and was wondering why I wasn't able to progress. That puzzle to get the map was both incredibly simple and not in any way related to any of the puzzles in the dungeon, and it's pretty weird that it was even there in the first place? I'd have just given the map on entrance, since it's not like it's even remotely labyrinthine)

Basically,

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Fuck everything about this Vah Ruta beast. The puzzles in this game were a decent challenge until this complete fucking roadblock.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Highway To HFIL

Vah Ruta was not that hard.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

It wasn't once I understood what I had to do! But I literally couldn't do that without the map, and it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to get the map, since some doors work on switches and others (like this one) work through environmental manipulation. When I activated the first terminal, the voice over reinforced my suspcion that I was supposed to be activating them to access the map.

Given that the map access puzzle was trivial once I understood that I didn't need to unlock anything to access it, they may as well have just given me the map when I arrived. The map's hiding there on its own room disconnected from any of the other challenges in the dungeon.

Once I got the map, everything else was mostly pretty straightforward.

Basically, it's one place where I think the game either inappropriately or under-explained what it wanted me to do, and I wound up getting stuck as a result because I couldn't tell what I was doing wrong.

EDIT: In comparison, the gaia gates temple challenges have all been awesome
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

The problem with Vah Ruta is that is tells you to get the map but also mentions the five terminals. It made me think I had to activate the five terminals just to get the map. Once I understood I had to get the map early, and I did, it was all rather straightforward.

Found my first Blue-Maned Lynel and he was a huge dick.

Got a full set of Zora gear. I swim fast now.

I bought the house in Hateno Village and got my own bed and some lighting.

Bolson is the best.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Man, these memory flash backs are neat.
How do you activate these? I went to a spot in one of the pictures and nothing happened, I tried activating camera mode and taking a picture and still nothing happened. There was a thunderstorm at the time, do I have to wait for the weather to be clear?
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

There should be a little ring of light when you're in the right spot, that triggers the flashback. If you're trying for the one under the arches northeast of Kakairiko, remember it's the EAST bank of the lake you have to be under.

Am I right in assuming that Korok Leaves and Magic Wands will only break if I smack a monster upside the head with them?

Because wind gusts/ costless elemental damage are VERY useful things.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:11 AM
oh my car

Magic wands run out of charges and break.

I got the Master Sword. Details within, individually tagged in case you only wanted to

It is located in the Great Hyrule Forest in the unnamed region north of Central Hyrule. You appear to need to have a total of 13 hearts, but I might be wrong about that. It works kind of like the things you get from finishing a Divine Beast in that it recharges on a timer if you deplete its durability, or so it's described.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I hope this game puts an end to the obnoxious "You guys, it's the Legend of Zelda, clearly it's the same archetypal tale retold over the eons" argument, given that I've found multiple instances of the events and characters of Ocarina of Time being referenced by name and in very specific detail.
I'm one of the proponents of that argument, despite Nintendo's best efforts to shoehorn some kind of timeline bullshit. "Oh, I know guys! We can make it branch three times at Ocarina!" Smooch my taint, Nintendo.

Nintendo is going back to the well with quite a bit of this game. Unless the story eventually tells me specifically where it falls in the dumbass timeline, I'm in the "Zelda-as-myth-eternally-told" camp.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Serial Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
It's also amusing seeing how many obscure references they worked into the location names, too. I think my favorite so far are four islands on the far eastern edge of the map named Tingel, Knuckel, Ankel, and Davdi. I can't wait to see what I find there.
I just went up to those islands last night! Bring a hammer. There's also a camp of lizards nearby the isles that have good stuff.

Love that whole region of the world. Would vacation.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM
This Guy

I wanted to make this a full on Miyazaki experience, but the stupid stables won't let me register a deer, so it is harder to play Princess Mononoke.

Tags
breath of the wild , gerudo - sandstorm , green elf needs food , how i mine for wood , nintendo , spoilers , spoilers in the wild , vandal pyro elf , ya-ha-ha , you found me , zelda