The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM
King Of Space-Time

Bro-fist to my fellow Red Son fan!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

Birthright is easily one of my favorite Superman story and definitely my favorite Lex Luthor story.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Find Your Reason

Secret Identity, nooo! I wanted you to be so much higher on the list

But at least someone else enjoyed Superman For All Seasons.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I voted for a Superman not listed above, so I'm still hopeful! The others are good, too, but I just picked one.

Surprised about TDKR but I put it last on my list.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Secret Identity, nooo! I wanted you to be so much higher on the list
Secret Identity is, for my money, the best Superman story out there. Definitely disappointing it didn't crack the top 50; but I suppose it's somewhat obscure as far as Superman stories go...

(I voted for For All Seasons too, which is therefore the second best Superman story.)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 AM
D=

Argh, I can't believe Batman: Year One lost! If I had bothered to get my list in, it probably would've gotten in for sure. (Feel like I'm gonna be saying that a lot over the next couple weeks.)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Woooooooahhh I was pegging Dark Knight Returns for a top 5 spot! That's super super surprising.

Anyway, high-five to my Long Halloween buddy, whoever you are.
It was me. DKR is certainly influential, but LH is a much more entertaining story.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 AM
#deadfish2017

It's also got better art.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Secret Identity is, for my money, the best Superman story out there. Definitely disappointing it didn't crack the top 50; but I suppose it's somewhat obscure as far as Superman stories go...

(I voted for For All Seasons too, which is therefore the second best Superman story.)
Secret Identity is a great book. I'm a pretty big Kurt Busiek fan and this is a favourite of mine. Now I got to dig it out and read it again.

The Dark Knight Returns was on the cusp of making my list but didn't quite make it.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Woooooooahhh I was pegging Dark Knight Returns for a top 5 spot! That's super super surprising.
Well, TDKR is really an artifact of its time. For all its repudiation and mockery of politics and media, the Batman of the book fits comfortably amongst the type of macho vigilantes and renegade lawmen popular at the time. It's certainly well-crafted, but also cynical and nihilistic.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
It's also got better art.
A grandma's refrigerator has better art
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Secret Identity is, for my money, the best Superman story out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Secret Identity is a great book. I'm a pretty big Kurt Busiek fan and this is a favourite of mine.
Secret Identity is how a "real-world Superman" would work. It is absolutely my favorite Supes story, I love its Lois, and the "Superman through the ages" epilogue made me weep openly. It was the last and greatest hurrah of the bright, hopeful, idealistic DC Comics Universe immediately before Identity Crisis came along, and I've bought it in all three formats.

But considering which Superman stories are only Honorable Mentions, I guess we all know now WHICH perennial, critically-acclaimed, fan-favorite and awards-winning Supes book is in the Top 50.

You know the one.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:04 PM
For blood and gold

Welp, there goes half my votes for Superhero comics.

I voted for Dark Knight Returns largely for nostalgia reasons. For 12 year old me, reading it was revelatory. He fights Superman! And this was before every comic and their mother was doing this style.

It doesn't hold up nearly as well (it was last or second to last on my list), but I can still remember the feelings I had upon reading it and that plus its historical importance made me happy enough to vote for it.

For the man who has Everything and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? are just damn good stories.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Agreed. But I definitely get why people are a little more down on DKR these days. Though it definitely feels like self-parody (even at the time), I'm still pretty fond of Miller's macho-poetry.

That said, I've always preferred Year One in the canon of "Batman stories by Frank Miller from 1986". It helps a lot that we spend a lot of time with Commissioner Gordon and makes him a much more fleshed out character than "guy who calls Batman" (though there may be some strong Gordon stories that came before that I might be unaware of).
Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Not a Beer

Man, now I'm feeling like maybe I should've found a way to do this that didn't leave everyone bummed about all their entries that didn't make it right off the bat. Still, we're getting some discussion of heroes that are proportionally under-represented on the main list (though some are on there), which was the main point, so yeah.

So feel free to keep discussing superhero oeuvres while we ramp up, but meanwhile I also wanted to do a brief post on two runner-up comics that would've barely made the list if we were still using the original voting system.

Runner-Up: #56 Phonogram
Writer/Creator: Kieron Gillen, Artist/Creator: Jamie McKelvie
Mentions: 2, Points: 54

I'd never heard of this, but apparently it's about Brit-pop fueled phonomancers. Sounds rad. Maybe ajr or Westerhof can fill us in. (This goes in general - obviously I don't know about every comic on the list, and I thought about DM'ing people for blurbs but didn't want to hold up the process, so please chime in with more info about your faves!)

---

Runner-Up: #52 The Tick
Creator: Ben Edlund
Mentions: 3, Points: 58

One of the most successful superhero spoof characters, The Tick evidently began as a newsletter mascot, before getting his own comic book and later cartoon series, live action, video game, flamethrower, etc etc. His special abilities include Oxygen Independence and Drama Power.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM
It's all good, man

I'm really curious how a story based around music works in a medium like comics.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM
yum

A whole lot of the goofiness in Dr. Horrible made sense when I saw Ben Edlund's name in the "special thanks" section of the credits.

(For the record, in case we're tracking opinions, this thread is doing everything right)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM
is Earnest

Dr. Horrible and Venture Bros.

Ben Edlund is great, and I'm glad that the original Tick run made it in to the runners up at least.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm really curious how a story based around music works in a medium like comics.
There are plenty of good stories in comics based around bands performing music on the page: Jen Van Meter's Hopeless Savages, Kathleen Jacques' Band vs. Band, or even IDW's Jem & The Holograms. Phonogram's clever trick is that it isn't that kind of story. It's a story about people's relationship to music: none of the main characters are performers themselves, but derive magical power from the heightened emotion and resonance music naturally instills.

For people curious about it, I'd recommend starting with the second of the three volumes, The Singles Club. Not only is the art more polished than the first volume (and in color!) but its cultural touchstones are slightly easier to follow for American audiences. (I like the first volume a lot, but you're going to have a hard time following the plot if you don't have enough of a working knowledge of the mid-90s Britpop scene to recognize, to name one example, Luke Haines.)

Last edited by Westerhof; 02-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Ben Edlund is great, and I'm glad that the original Tick run made it in to the runners up at least.
Just wait. I'm sure The Tick will make a great showing once we do The Top 50 Animated TV Series.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

It'll definitely land in the middle of the list, I'm sure.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Safe Space

You know, just building a list for this thread had me thinking about what I want/don't want in my comics/graphic novel collection. I have the complete Transmetropolitan, yet I haven't actually enjoyed it in years.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:15 PM
#deadfish2017

A co-worker insisted I read Transmet. I read the first trade and was like "I would have loved this a decade ago."
Old 02-23-2017, 03:01 PM
A Real Man

Yeah, I've always found Transmet's cultural cachet somewhat mystifying (although parts that struck me as way over the top have seemed a bit less so in the last year).
Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Spiderman didn't even make it on the list?!

Y'all whacked.

Also, I missed another one of these?!

Now no one will know how great the Longshot one-off in the 80s was...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
A whole lot of the goofiness in Dr. Horrible made sense when I saw Ben Edlund's name in the "special thanks" section of the credits.
Also why Season 5 of Angel was so good.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post

Y'all whacked.

Also, I missed another one of these?!

Now no one will know how great the Longshot one-off in the 80s was...
Aww man, I forgot Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Falsey! Plz read!

Wait, this is Falsey, what am I saying. Anyway, showing up in the extra-superhero-books section doesn't mean something else with them didn't make the list. Just wanted an extra shout-out to all the votes that got spread over different titles.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Phonogram is really more a book about music fandom (and fandom generally) than about music per se.

The first volume, to me, is about the push and pull of nostalgia, the way that the things we loved when we were young are both foundational to us and simultaneously can be toxic and regressive.

The second one is a series of single-character one shots that take place during one night at an indie club about the different ways the characters use music (ie to bring up memories, as social currency, as pure sensual pleasure, etc).

The third volume is about the dangers of relying on references and pop culture knowledge in place of any actual personality, and the process of growing past that into a real sense of self.

I love all three, but the second is definitely the place to start.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Falsey! Plz read!

Wait, this is Falsey, what am I saying. Anyway, showing up in the extra-superhero-books section doesn't mean something else with them didn't make the list. Just wanted an extra shout-out to all the votes that got spread over different titles.
Octo doesn't do research and I don't read posts.

Get it into your heads people.

Not you Kirin. It's clear you already know this. If only barely.

Tags
comics , demoracy was a mistake , eomecaptcattutcauth , falselogic ruins #1 , graphic novels , lists , manga , meets game of thrones , random hellboy pages , top 50 countdown