The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I just don't get it. I find it ugly and unfunny.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The Far Side is good as hell
Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 AM
hi there

You guys do realize that hell is not actually very good, right
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Find Your Reason

I've never read it, but it looks trippy as hell.

Any small compilations you recommend? Something under $15?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

Honestly, you could probably pick up any of them for $15 and have as good of a time.

Don't think the complete collection is that much more, tbh.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
You guys do realize that hell is not actually very good, right
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah you can pick up literally any Far Side book and have a good time, unless you have problems
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Is there not one thing

Most modern surrealist humor uses Far Side as its bedrock. Looking back, I respect how it managed to have zero sentimentality without lapsing into misanthropy. Most creators can't manage that.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
The Far Side is good as hell
This.

Quote:
Yeah you can pick up literally any Far Side book and have a good time, unless you have problems
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Larson in Prehistory of the Far Side
It all started innocently enough. I hadn't thought much about cows in my entire life. They wre nice animals, both on and off the dinner table. And that about sums up my attitude toward them. And then it happened.

In May of 1980, I drew the cartoon at left. When I finished, I sat back and stared at my little creation. Something moved me. This was more than just a cow - this was an entire career I was looking at. As the following pages indicate, I should have just called this thing The Cow Side and forgot about it.
Then the following pages show 50-odd cartoons featuring cows (which still doesn't cover every Far Side cowtoon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post

Glad to help you strike that off your bucket list!
Wow... Way to be a giant asshole there, Donald.

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 03-17-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County and The Far Side were the very definition of newspaper comics for me (well those and Peanuts, but that was another era). Watching Breathed constantly try to capture the magic of his original strip and failing makes me so glad Larson and Watterson quit while they were ahead.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I bought this for a dollar at a library book sale today.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:19 PM
#deadfish2017

The Far Side should be in hell for the twenty years of unfunny and ugly single panel gag strips it inspired.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The Far Side should be in hell for the twenty years of unfunny and ugly single panel gag strips it inspired.
Weird to blame the original instead of all the poor copies...
Old 03-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Not a Beer

#12 (tie) Bad Machinery
Mentions: 5, Points: 120
Writer/Artist: John Allison
Genre: Comedy Mystery
Publication: webcomic at http://www.scarygoround.com/ , 2009-present
What's going on?: There are mods and rockers everywhere

It's a webcomic! I'll be honest here, I've been sorting out my parents' house all day and now I've had some brandy and it's midnight and I need sleep, but I wanted to give you fine folks another entry, so I"m largely going to hope the people who voted for this one will talk about it.

But in brief: This tale of mystery solving children/teens is a sort-of-sequel to Scary Go Round, and takes place in a shared fictional town of Tackleford in West Yorkshire, along with many other comics as detailed in a somewhat daunting "new reader" continuity page on the site. It's a bit unique among webcomics in being divided into a bunch of distinct 100-page stories.

Last edited by Kirin; 03-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Bad Machinery
Writer/Artist: Scott McCloud
Might wanna take another run at that, chief.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 PM
Not a Beer

I told you I was too tired for this. -_-

(fixed, thanks)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:12 AM
is Earnest

John Allison is a goddamn treasure. He has been putting out full color comics every weekday for just about 20 years and they are all in the same continuity. Someone recently pointed out that the kids in his most recent comics have been ageing in real time, and that wasn't even surprising to me. His characters all have entire wardrobes. Just pick one of the Bad Machinery cases and dive in. They're pretty much all mysteries with a bit of supernatural stuff starring six teens. It's all very good, and it's free. Go read it now.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

John Allison is a God damned treasure. I love every aspect of his work. His one if the few artists who make me wish I'd kept up my own art.

His characters are filled out, his line work charming, his stories captivating and hilarious. Nothing but good things to say about him and his work.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 AM
Dinger!

I've never read any of Allison's web comics, but I did read the first couple volumes of Giant Days and that was really good, so I should check out the rest.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
a somewhat daunting "new reader" continuity page on the site
The secret is to not worry about that. Yes, his characters all live in a gigantic shared universe, and he often makes use of that to drip in cameos and references, but none of that is important (by design), and Bad Machinery absolutely stands up on its own. Being part of that larger continuity just makes the world that the mystery kids inhabit feel more fully-realized and lived in. Like Patrick says, just pick a case and dive in.

(Also, the stuff that predates Bad Machinery is pretty hard to go back to these days and is best avoided, IMO.)

ETA: I really like BM, and will leave it to people more eloquent than me to explain why, but one thing I will say that helps it stand out is that it is very, very British. The most British, in the most charming way, and between that and the way the kids often misspeak, Allison takes some very entertaining liberties with the English language (and that extends to his sound effects, which are often written out and always delightful).

Last edited by JBear; 03-18-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Jack Hughes!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Default John Allison is a goddamn treasure

You've gotta respect John Allison's drive. Seven years into Scary Go Round, he decides the only way he can continue to improve is to put it behind him and start anew. That he anchored Bad Machinery on a group of young kids after a good decade of writing wild and smarmy young adults feels like he was issuing himself a personal challenge.

It paid off. I was sad to see SGR go at the time, but Bad Machinery is by and away the superior work. The focus on a core cast, and watching them age in (roughly) real time adds a level of personal connection that SGR never achieved; yet, at the same time, BM's case-by-case plotting also gives it a level of structure and immediacy that SGR never managed. Together, it's the rare story where each chapter works on its own, but come together to form an even greater whole.

Of course, it's also clever, funny stuff. It's not Allison's funniest (that's Giant Days), but dang if it isn't close.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Not a Beer

#12 (tie) Hark! A Vagrant
Mentions: 6, Points: 120
Writer/Artist: Kate Beaton
Genre: Historical/Literary Comedy and so on
Publication: irregular webcomic at http://www.harkavagrant.com/ , 2008-present
Step Aside, Pops: Velocipedestrienne Comin' Through

Once again I'm going to have to keep this brief due to a grueling parents-house-cleaning schedule, but this one I've been reading for years so I can report with authority that pretty much everything Ms Beaton does is positively delightful. Others evidently agree, as she's picked up a passel of Harveys, an Eisner, and an Ignatz.

Also her stuff gets used for reaction images a lot.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 AM
is Earnest

Kate Beaton is great.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
John Allison is a God damned treasure. I love every aspect of his work. His one if the few artists who make me wish I'd kept up my own art..
Kate Beaton is the other. She is just a treat. I treasure my copy of her first book.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Kate Beaton is up there with Ryan North, Chris Hadfield and the collected Kids in the Hall as the Canadians I least want to meet in person, as I'm sure I'd be so nervous I wind up embarrassing both of us, and possibly everyone else in a thirty-foot radius.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I thought for sure I voted for Hark, but apparently not? It's a brilliant comic. I have both of the hardcovers.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Hark! was my #1. Beaton is an incredible cartoonist, not just for her unique voice and subject matter, but her ability to say so much with so little. Her art looks sketchy and her dialogue perfunctory, but I'd say it's actually exactly precise for how effective it manages to be, and how much emotion and meaning it manages to carry. I've bought both her collections (which are some really handsome books) and I eagerly await her future projects.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I sent Beaton's "The Princess and the Pony" to my old English school back in China, as I thought they might enjoy it.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Is there not one thing

Beaton's understanding of expressions lets her pack an astonishing level of character into otherwise spare and sketchy designs. She's nothing short of the 21st century Sergio Aragones.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Not a Beer

#11 Maus
Mentions: 6, Points: 129
Writer/Artist: Art Spiegelman
Genre: history / Bipgraphy
Publication: insert in Raw magazine, 1980-1991
I have a sinking feeling that re-reading this right now might be a bit too harrowing...

I honestly didn't even know this was originally published serially, but then, at the time "graphic novels" were barely even a thing. Eisner used the term in '78, and it was just picking up steam with publishers, largely to counteract the low cultural status of "comics" which in most people's minds referred only to monthly pulp superhero stories for kids. The first Maus collection found a huge audience by being distributed through regular bookstores rather than comic shops. (Spiegelman wasn't too keen on this line of market-based reasoning but came to accept the term.)

Publishing minutiae aside, Maus is, of course, a harrowing tale of the Holocaust, told under a thin veneer of the "comic talking animals" genre with Jews being mice, Germans cats, French frogs, and so forth. Of course, Spiegelman himself acknowledges the limitations of such a metaphor, when some who claimed to be of German ancestry were labeled Jews and sent to the camps by the Reich. In the end he's said "these metaphors ... are meant to self-destruct".

There's also a contemporary frame story of the author's troubled relationship with his father, a survivor through whom most of the stories in the book come to light. All of this is drawn in a stark, high-contrast style sometimes reminiscent of woodblock prints.

Maus has basically won all the awards, so I won't bore you by listing them here...

Tags
comics , demoracy was a mistake , eomecaptcattutcauth , falselogic ruins #1 , graphic novels , lists , manga , meets game of thrones , random hellboy pages , top 50 countdown