The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Default ROBBIT DINOSAAAUUURS: Horizon Zero Dawn

Surprised we didn't have a thread for this already!

so the latest PS4 exclusive drops next Tuesday, and I am SHOOK. It's an open-world RPG set in a post-post-apocalyptic Earth where humanity is back to the tribal level, and the rulers of the landscape are FRICKIN ROBOT DINOSAURS that roam the landscape.

Reviews started coming out today and they are by and large extremely positive. The game looks gorgeous and I'm excited that it has a kick-ass female protagonist. And it's written by the guy who wrote Fallout: New Vegas!

I've already preordered this sucker. Anyone else hype for the game?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
#deadfish2017

Polygon gave it a negative 9.7
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Man, I wanted to make this thread so I could title it "Cadillacs are Dinosaurs". Dang ol' UUDD, taking away half my fun!

Anyway, it's Farcry crossed with Monster Hunter, if you were hunting Zoids, so of course I'm totally on board with this.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Man, I wanted to make this thread so I could title it "Cadillacs are Dinosaurs". Dang ol' UUDD, taking away half my fun!
but that's all of my fun
Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Kinda interested by the setting and aesthetic detail but want to wait for more opinions to shake out about this one. Guerilla Games' work has traditionally gotten good reviews but I've basically never seen one that couldn't charitably be described as disappointing. This looks more interesting than yet more Killzone but I think I'll wait until I'm done with Zelda and see how the consensus works out once the initial interest wanes.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Polygon gave it a negative 9.7
The USGamer review really did find it lackluster.

I've been hyped for it since it was first revealed... what, two E3s ago? I like the concept, I like the protagonist's concept, and it's one of the games that pushed me towards a PS4 instead of settling for Persona 5 on the PS3. The USG review also sounds like it hits the same spot where sidequests and their individual storylines don't quite jibe with the general mood of the main narrative, but, well, most games with sidequests have that issue.

I'm still making my way through FFXV, March is already reserved for Nier 2, and infinityApril and beyond are taken by Persona 5, so I dunno when I'll get to play this. I'm hoping I can get it by August or so, depending on how demanding P5 is.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The USG review also sounds like it hits the same spot where sidequests and their individual storylines don't quite jibe with the general mood of the main narrative, but, well, most games with sidequests have that issue.
I mean hell that's pretty much a feature in the Yakuza series.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, the complaints in the USG review don't really sound any different from those I level at, like, every sandbox game ever made. And this time there are DINOBOTS, so it already has a leg up over the likes of Assassins Creed or Farcry.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
I mean hell that's pretty much a feature in the Yakuza series.
And then there's Ryo playing with kittens and working as a forklift operator in his quest to find his father's killers in Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, reading the review, it does sound like the writers could've spent a little more effort fleshing out the relationship between the world, its sidequests, and the MC --and I'm as tired as anyone of snarky, sarcastic characters-- but when you give the audience the ability to pursue stories beyond the main plotline, this dissonance is almost built-in.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM

The USGamer review is one of the things that has me very leery and I don't feel like it is condemning the existence of tonal dissonance in whole, but it's... not surprising that the company that created Killzone might have had some difficulty fleshing out a world in a way that felt satisfying narratively. The running thought throughout the entire review seemingly isn't just "this is dissonant" as much as "outside the setting, this is rote" which certainly fits the pedigree.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Yeah, the complaints in the USG review don't really sound any different from those I level at, like, every sandbox game ever made. And this time there are DINOBOTS, so it already has a leg up over the likes of Assassins Creed or Farcry.
I was kind of hoping it would do better, though, because I really liked the setting and the idea of the game. The USG review went a long way towards dissuading me on it; I don't like these aimless open-world quest system games at all, so I needed it to bring something seriously compelling to the table in order to stoke my enthusiasm, and it looks like it didn't. I mean, I can watch videos and see robo dinos without subjecting myself to insipid game design.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM

*shrug* read the Polygon and Kotaku reviews for a different take.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

giant bomb gave it 5 stars, and while the review itself reads kinda rushed and incomplete, knowing jeff gerstmann's proclivities it sounds like a great-ass time. Wish i had a ps4!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM
?!

Reviews make it seem like the standard AAA open world game formula, except with an interesting, unique setting. Sounds good to me! I'm not going to buy at launch, not with Zelda coming out a few days later, but I'll throw on the wishlist for my late-March birthday.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
This looks more interesting than yet more Killzone but I think I'll wait until I'm done with Zelda and see how the consensus works out once the initial interest wanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I'm not going to buy at launch, not with Zelda coming out a few days later, but I'll throw on the wishlist for my late-March birthday.
Anyone else feel like this game is being sent out to die? It's bad enough for any game to be releasing a week before a hotly anticipated new console, but one whose star launch title is a game in the same genre and with far more name recognition and pedigree?

I mean, despite me never really giving Horizon much of my attention, it does look like something I might like to try out, but Zelda is coming out next week man...
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
Anyone else feel like this game is being sent out to die? It's bad enough for any game to be releasing a week before a hotly anticipated new console, but one whose star launch title is a game in the same genre and with far more name recognition and pedigree?

I mean, despite me never really giving Horizon much of my attention, it does look like something I might like to try out, but Zelda is coming out next man...
Game's been getting hyped for a while, and the overlap between Day One Switch Buyer/WiiU owner and Triple A Gamesdude isn't huge. TT is a particularly Nintendo friendly place IMO.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Getting Equipped

Quote:

I mean, despite me never really giving Horizon much of my attention, it does look like something I might like to try out, but Zelda is coming out next week man...
This is the big PS4 exclusive of the moment. It will be fine.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:

It's there for those of us who couldn't secure a preorder. A nice little silver medal.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Yeah, H:ZD's release window has been known for a while, it's a very high profile game that Sony has been hyping up, and people have anticipated it for a long time. If Nier 2* weren't coming out within the same week, I'd be buying it, because while I want a Switch eventually it's not really a priority, especially not since I just got my own PS4 for Thanksgiving. Unless one has plenty of money to throw at consoles, I don't think there's a huge overlap between recent PS4 owners seeking to justify the purchase and people itching to buy a Switch.

* On the other hand, ask Yoko Taro how HE feels about timing of his game's release vs the Switch
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM
MOE~

it turns out that man
was the monster all along

>camera pans back
>audience appluase
Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

This is the only game that's made me consider buying a PS4. If Persona 5 was a PS4 exclusive that would be the final thing that would push me to get one, but we have our dumb paperweight PS3 we got for free so it's silly to buy a whole new console. I guess. Especially since we're getting a Switch.

Anyway, I figure someday I'll get to play this game, but am super jealous of all of you.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 AM
It's all good, man

I've got a PS4 backlog but I'll probably be buying this anyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Game in progress review from AV Club mentions it's cut from the same cloth as most of the Ubisoft "everything is Assassin's Creed" style of games, but it sounds less polished.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Meanwhile Jim Stirling's review says it takes all the best parts of other games in its genre and uses them very well.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:59 AM
:O

Is Horizon Zero Dawn good? It has a map, quests. It has enemies which do a lot of damage, which means you don't want to be hit by them. It has a character who does things, and events which happen around them. Sometimes you will go across the map to objectives, sometimes the objectives are near you. Love it or hate it, it's a video game.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Is Horizon Zero Dawn good? It has a map, quests. It has enemies which do a lot of damage, which means you don't want to be hit by them. It has a character who does things, and events which happen around them. Sometimes you will go across the map to objectives, sometimes the objectives are near you. Love it or hate it, it's a video game.
but is it art
Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
but is it art
Can it afford not to be?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Not a Beer

Still somewhat intrigued by this despite the mixed reviews, since I still enjoy the AC games when they're on form, and the setting is so intriguing. Buuuuut I'm still puttering around FFXV's post-game and don't really have the money/time set aside for a big game right this moment. Will probably just keep an eye out for sales down the road.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Horizon is a must-buy for me but not at launch. Zelda is only three days later.

I'll be picking up Horizon when I'm finished with Zelda. There's nothing else in March I must have and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 doesn't arrive until April 25th. (Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD for PS4 is at the end of March but that's a "maybe if I'm done with Horizon" since I own both on PS3 already.)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Shares?

I'm going to be all over this game in six months when it's $10.

Tags
cadillacs are dinosaurs , get on the floor , open the door , uudd is all for aaa , yo'stir isle