The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM
This Guy

I like Superman a lot and it often ends up being kind of the forgotten show. People talk a lot about Batman and JL/JLU, but Superman gets kind of forgotten most of the time, which is unfortunate for easily of the best portrayal of Superman and his supporting cast in the last four decades.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

No question. Lois Lane was kind of a jerk (spoiled, cocky, sarcastic) but at least she had a personality, unlike the Lois in the recent films. Their Lex Luthor is perfect, and Darkseid comes close. The characters designed especially for the show are a mixed bag... I liked Mercy Graves well enough (loyal to Lex, icy to everyone else), but Livewire could have used some work. I'm sure a better VO would have helped.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Spoiled, cocky and sarcastic basically is my ideal Lois. She's actually the opposite of Lex - Lex doesn't believe that Superman, the only man powerful enough to challenge his hegemony over Metropolis, could be an ordinary human; Lois doesn't believe Clark, the annoying hayseed who dares to challenge her hegemony over the Planet's newsroom, could possibly be Superman.

You have to play Lois as a combination of Big City Cool and a military brat to make her work (Teri Hatcher hit on that pretty well around the same time, and - AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ABOUT TO PRAISE SMALLVILLE SO LOOK OUT - Erica Durance had flashes of that , too). The problem is when you make Lois into too innocent / pure of a character, which the Superman movies have tended to do. There's no fun there - and that's Lana's characterisation.

(I suspect you could go for a bit of Lois as Veronica to Lana's Betty. And since I always was Team Veronica....)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I like Superman a lot and it often ends up being kind of the forgotten show. People talk a lot about Batman and JL/JLU, but Superman gets kind of forgotten most of the time, which is unfortunate for easily of the best portrayal of Superman and his supporting cast in the last four decades.
"The Late Mr. Kent" is in the running for best DCAU episode ever. I didn't realise how great that one was until I re-watched it for JLR, but holy shit is that a perfect 22 minutes.

With that said, I've kinda cooled on the Darkseid episodes over the years. Turpin is, of course, poignant, but I don't really like how the final episodes are kind of a reprise of Brave New Metropolis. And then, of course, they cut that line from the Justice League pilot that referenced it....

With that said, I liked Superman more when it basically turned into an early version of Brave and the Bold with all the team-ups. Although you can tell that they did the Kyle episode through grated teeth, so fuck them for that.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:32 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
No question. Lois Lane was kind of a jerk (spoiled, cocky, sarcastic) but at least she had a personality, unlike the Lois in the recent films. Their Lex Luthor is perfect, and Darkseid comes close. The characters designed especially for the show are a mixed bag... I liked Mercy Graves well enough (loyal to Lex, icy to everyone else), but Livewire could have used some work. I'm sure a better VO would have helped.
Eh, you can't pull off a Harley Quinn all the time.

Also, some dynamite casting choices among those. Dana Delany was perfect as Lois--also, pretty much the first time I had seen a sarcastic take on Lois, personally. Clancy Brown was so good he pretty much was set from there on with voice roles. Darkseid was only barely there in most of the series, but Michael Ironside is never not awesome. I think a lot of it was also Andrea Romano's voice direction and that I think most everything DCAU was voiced ensemble. A lot that shines through in other series Romano worked on, and it's very strong on the lot of shows that followed these (The Boondocks, Avatar, Legend of Korra, the nu-Voltron), etc.

Hell, you can kind of tell the Avatar guys must have been huge DCAU nerds, since they picked some of the cream of the crop when it came to alumni from that. One of my favorite surprise appearances being Ozai's. Hey kids, it's Mark Hamill!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Livewire is interesting because it kind of shows the constraints the show was under early on. One of the Byrne additions was that Superman's two big new vulnerabilities were electricity and magic. But there was a bit of a gap in the system in that there never was an electricity-based Superman villain, and they had a limited capacity to use non-Superman villains in the early episodes.

So they wound up having to make their own. She does feel "of the 90s" in a way that other new characters created for the shows don't, though - the Stern thing and all. But Supergirl did a credible update of her last season....
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
FLASH DAY BEST DAY.
Great choice but I also like the next to last episode of Season 2 where Flash overclocks Brainiac to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Unlimited is the one that has wildcat fighting in super hero vale tudo, yeah? That was good, though its Dragon Lady temptress villain is a more than a lil bit tired these days
You are correct sir. That villain also returns in a later episode where she's doing the same thing again with brainwashed Female heroes.

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 01-18-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: c'mon man...
Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Outraged!

I liked it when superman kept making the little Gilbert Gottfried gremlin say his own name backwards.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
So they wound up having to make their own. She does feel "of the 90s" in a way that other new characters created for the shows don't, though - the Stern thing and all.
Not to mention being voiced by Lori "Tank Girl" Petty. For some reason, that screams "90's" to me more than anything.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM

Superman's one I saw random episodes of, like last year during some random BvS promo Cartoon Network Japan was doing, and liked. So I think I'll keep the DCAU kick I'm on going after I finish Batman TAS, and move on to Superman.

edit: people warned me about the crappiness of I've Got Batman in my Basement, and yet somehow, it was even worse than my low expectations. I think it doesn't help that it seemed all right to begin with, like "oh I guess Batman is gonna teach those bullies a lesson after he saves the day," but instead it turned into a really lame Home Alone ripoff, briefly, and it also established the Penguin as the worst villain ever.

Last edited by Bunk Moreland; 01-19-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

That was one of the episodes that was in heavy rotation back when I was tiny. That and the one with Invisible Creeper Dad.

Even Tiny Octos spurious tastes recognized that one episode was way better than the other.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 AM

The one right before it was really good, It's Never Too Late. It's like a Batman version of a Frank Capra tale. I went on through Heart of Ice, which is obviously great. There's one point that I would normally say is sloppy writing, when Mr. Freeze explains one of his new powers to Batman ("The circuitry in my suit makes me three times as strong as any man") because it's delivered as such a taunt. And the other thing that seems goofy and improbable (Batman shattering Mr. Freeze's helmet with Alfred's thermos of chicken soup) is also great in its cheesiness.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 AM
It's all good, man

Question: Is DCAU Lex Luthor black?

YEA:

NAY:
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

I thought he was supposed to be Greek.

Not that the name "Luthor" sounds Greek.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 AM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Question: Is DCAU Lex Luthor black?

YEA:

NAY:
I think the official word from the creators is "he tans easily".

EDIT: also apparently His skin tone is usually the same color as Superman's?

And apparently Octo is right, he IS greek because he was based on actor Telly Savalas who is greek. So yeah that.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Find Your Reason

Only Luthor could pull off a white necktie. Especially over a white dress shirt.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

That's how you KNOW he's evil!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

That and his bathroom hygiene.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:51 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Only Luthor could pull off a white necktie. Especially over a white dress shirt.
is this a faux pas? Seems like a classy look if you can pull it off.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
That and his bathroom hygiene.

MAN I love that episode.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Not to mention being voiced by Lori "Tank Girl" Petty. For some reason, that screams "90's" to me more than anything.
Now that I think about it, yeah. I can only remember three other things she actually did: the aforementioned Tank Girl, co-starring in In the Army Now with Pauly Shore(!), and a guest spot on Star Trek Voyager. Nothing before or after the '90s. It's like she sprang fully-formed out of that decade and then faded into nothingness on January 1, 2000.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:

MAN I love that episode.
The best part of it is that it's Michael Rosenbaum as Flash. It makes it works on a whole other meta level because it's his two worlds colliding.

Anyway, Lex falls into the Destro rule. Although with Destro, that's more because the Sunbow team didn't clue in that he was supposed to be Scottish.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
is this a faux pas? Seems like a classy look if you can pull it off.
From what I've learned, same-color shirts and ties are a big no-no because the point of the necktie is to provide contrast, so going against the trend and making it work (as opposed to making it bland or chintzy) requires very classy ensembles and poise and a hell of a lot of style. That's why it's a rare combination.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Now that I think about it, yeah. I can only remember three other things she actually did: the aforementioned Tank Girl, co-starring in In the Army Now with Pauly Shore(!), and a guest spot on Star Trek Voyager. Nothing before or after the '90s. It's like she sprang fully-formed out of that decade and then faded into nothingness on January 1, 2000.
irony: the whole deal with her character in A League of Their Own was that she was unfairly overlooked.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

There was a big same-colour shirt-and-tie trend about 15 years ago.

It was started by Donald Trump's suits during the first few years of The Apprentice.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
アヘ顔と加瀬さん

Quote:
That's how you KNOW he's evil!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Little Waves

Luthor read as black to me. That show was basically my entry point to Superman, too, so I remember being surprised when I found out he didn't usually look like that.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Luthor read as black to me. That show was basically my entry point to Superman, too, so I remember being surprised when I found out he didn't usually look like that.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
And apparently Octo is right, he IS greek because he was based on actor Telly Savalas who is greek. So yeah that.
Yeah, that was always my read. I suspect it hinges on whether or not you were old enough to have been exposed to Kojak.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

What's really distracting is reading the Superman comics from the 80s when Lex was also chubby and had hair.

Tags
batman , cartoons , justice league , schwarbage , superman