The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
40. Barcelona
Company
Score: 51
Mentions: 2

When does it happen?
I'd never heard of "Company" before now. Let's look at Wikipedia, shall we?

o___________________________o

Covered by whom?
o_______________________________________________o

Company is a really important musical from 1970 by Stephen Sondheim (who also did Into the Woods). One of the things that makes this musical cool is that it's not presented in any sort of chronological order, and it doesn't have to be. It's a series of snapshots. It has many other incredibly strong musical numbers, particularly "Getting Married Today" and "The Ladies Who Lunch."

This song was high on my list because it's a perfect story told in a short period of time, and makes poetic use of music, lyrics, and subtext together to encapsulate something remarkably complex underneath something mundane. If you don't get it:

• Watch the clip with no context, then think about how much you learned about the two characters and how they feel about the one night stand they've just had from two minutes of dialogue about one of them having to leave on a plane.
  • Watch it a second time. This time, notice what's being said underneath the really run-of-the-mill conversational lyrics. What does it mean that Bobby yawns through his line about her being special? What's the difference each time Bobby sings "Stay...Go..." to April's protests? What is each character trying to do to the other? Why does the song end with the line "Oh God?"
  • Watch it a third time, and listen to how many times the two of them repeat lines or words. How many different meanings do they work into those same words over and over, and how well are they able to display growth?
  • Watch it a fourth time, and notice how the music doesn't repeat exactly with the words. What does this tell us about the scene? Why is it so repetitive? Is there something rote about it, and if so, what is changing?
  • You don't have to watch it a fifth time, but think about how much this particular number is telling you with literally no context for the rest of the musical, and how many levels it's working on to do that effectively in about 3 minutes. Compare it to other songs on this list and see if they do as good of a job.

If you've actually watched it four times and still don't get it, send me a PM, and I'll write your ears off .
Old 01-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Safe Space

36. Springtime For Hitler
The Producers
Score: 52

When does it happen?
Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom, the titular producers, scheme to finance a musical so bad that it would bomb spectacularly, and hire on an actual Nazi playwright to create it. He writes a musical love letter to Hitler, and the two attend opening night, assured that the play will indeed bomb harder than a B-29.

Covered by whom?
In this political climate? I'm not sure I want to know.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Safe Space

36. I Am Africa
The Book Of Mormon
Score 52

When does it happen?
Well, it's deep in the play, but basically, there's a bunch of Mormons, they just baptized a whole Ugandan village, and now they feel at one with the people.

Covered by whom?
Ho ho ho ha ha ha hee, no. I'm sure it's too satirical to get any kind of cover from artists who want to keep their careers.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Safe Space

36. Razzle Dazzle
Chicago
Score 52

When does it happen?
Well, some time after "Cell Block Tango", Roxie gets a lawyer named Billy Flynn, and as the court date approaches, he coaches her on what to say and do in the courtroom.

Covered by whom?
Whoa. Shirley Bassey. That's pretty boss.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Safe Space

36. Comedy Tonight
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
Score 52

When does it happen?
Like so many of the choices on this list, it's the show opener.

Covered by whom?
Oh, Nathan Lane, Geoffrey Rush... You know, the most popular musical acts of today.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Not a Beer

That last is one of mine again, though from the lower half of my list. Saw the movie with my middle school Latin class. Our Latin teacher was pretty cool.

Anyway, it's nothing spectacular or mind-expanding, but it's fun!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 AM
-ryn

Nothing I had on my list in the recent entries, though I should have included something from the Muppets, but it didn't come to mind. I haven't heard of most of the recent entries on this list.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Safe Space

35. Another National Anthem
Assassins
Score: 53

When does it happen?
Oh no. Another musical I've never heard of. Wikipedia says this one is a story about people who've tried to assassinate American presidents throughout the nation's history, living as exhibits in a metaphorical county fair.

Quote:
The assassins congregate in the Proprietor's shooting range once again and enumerate their reasons for taking action. Led by Byck, they lament that they haven't gotten the rewards they were "promised." The Balladeer tells them that their actions didn't solve their problems or the country's and that if they want their prizes they must follow the American Dream. The assassins realize that they will never get their prizes, that no one will ever care if they live or die, and briefly sink into absolute desperation until Byck and the Proprietor lead them in "Another National Anthem," a song for all Americans dispossessed by the dream.
Covered by whom?
No one seems to want to do covers of Steven Sondheim's work. I'm sensing a pattern here.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Safe Space

33. Pictures In My Head
The Muppets
Score: 54

When does it happen?
Small-towners Gary, Mary, and Walter travel to LA to meet the Muppets but find that the group's been disbanded and the theatre is being sold. They seek out Kermit, who is living alone, and he's despondent when he hears the news.

Covered by whom?
Amateur performers and people putting together Jim Henson tribute slideshows.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Safe Space

33. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Score: 54

When does it happen?
Early in the film, the three escaped convicts Ulysses, Pete, and Delmar meet a young black man who claims he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for musical skill. The four of them happen upon a radio station and convince the operator to let them record a song for some money under the band name "The Soggy Bottom Boys".

Covered by whom?
In a surprise twist, the film version is the cover! The song has existed in some form or another since 1913 when it was first published by Dick Burnett.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:

Covered by whom?
No one seems to want to do covers of Steven Sondheim's work. I'm sensing a pattern here.
Sondheim's one "hit song" is "Send in the Clowns" from A Little Night Music which has been covered by the likes of Cher, Madonna, Barbara Streisand, and Placido Domingo, among others. It's a club/jazz standard these days. Most of his other work is hard to find re-recorded because it's generally so intertwined with story that it doesn't work that well out of context.

Fun Fact: Sondheim lived next door to Oscar Hammerstein II as a kid, and basically learned to write musicals from him.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
33. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow
Aw crap I forgot this one.

Even worse the Muppets one made me realize I forgot Rainbow Connection which would have been in my top 5 had I remembered it. FFFFFFFF
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 PM
King Of Space-Time

Will publish my picks at the end, as usual.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 PM

Babs covered a handful of Sondheim standards on her two Broadway albums
Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
33. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow.
That's not Clooney singing btw, Dan Tyminski is the singer and you really should listen to him with Alison Krauss and Union Station. They've performed the song and I'm not sure if that counts as a cover.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 AM
-ryn

"Pictures in My Head" is a good song. I forgot the Muppets, so i forgot it on my list. I probably still would have picked a different song though...

That song from Oh Brother is one of my dad's favorites. I like it too, but I definitely wouldn't have put it on a list of musical numbers in movies/stage productions. Sure the movie is what made it well known, but its diminished to me because of the goofy fake singing from Clooney and the whole scene in the clip is just shots of them singing. Not even one shot of the guitar playing even (which is supposed to be the devil-given talent part). These threads are supposed to be for people to argue about these things and I am, in my mind, rightly fake upset at this entry being on the list. Still a good song though.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
36. Comedy Tonight

OH MY GOD
I have been singing a version of this song for years and I never knew where it was from. Back in my university days, I got way into Settlers of Catan with a group of friends, one of whom had a song he would sing when he rejected trade offers. It was basically just a series of no's set to the verse melody of Comedy Tonight. I've been singing that version of this song for 15 years without ever realizing it was a cover!

My mind is reeling right now.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post

OH MY GOD
I have been singing a version of this song for years and I never knew where it was from. Back in my university days, I got way into Settlers of Catan with a group of friends, one of whom had a song he would sing when he rejected trade offers. It was basically just a series of no's set to the verse melody of Comedy Tonight. I've been singing that version of this song for 15 years without ever realizing it was a cover!

My mind is reeling right now.
Probably the most important thing to come out of this list right here.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Safe Space

I feel vindicated.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Not a Beer

Well gosh, now I feel vindicated voting for it, too.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:35 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Well gosh, now I feel vindicated voting for it, too.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:40 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Covered by whom?
uh...

Quote:
Covered by whom?
Oh, Nathan Lane, Geoffrey Rush... You know, the most popular musical acts of today.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I ain't gonna lie, the moment the pictures start talking to Kermit in Pictures in Your Head, I... well, I don't tear up, but it is always effective.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Safe Space

31. Uncle Fucker
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Score: 56

When does it happen?
Early in the film, the boys want to go see the Terrence and Phillip movie, but are denied entry, so they pay a homeless man to act as their guardian to get in.

Covered by whom?
Countless kids in the schoolyard.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Safe Space

31. Do You Remember Love?
Macross: Do You Remember Love?

When does it happen?
This number occurs near the end of the film. An ancient song is discovered in the ruins of Earth, after the villainous Zentradi leader learns that music disables the Zentradi soldiers. A peace treaty is brokered between the humans of Macross with the Zentradi, but the leader attacks the fleets of both Macross and Zentradi. Lynn Minmay, an intergalactic pop star, is encouraged to sing the fully translated song as part of their attack strategy.

Basically, they ripped this ending off for Star Trek: Beyond.

Covered by whom?
Countless AMV "creators".
Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
This came in second on my list but it was very nearly my number one. It's very possible this scene was the pinnacle of Matt and Trey's ouevre.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
You can blame me for putting anime in here.

Quote:
31. Uncle FuckerSouth Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
This almost made my list, but I picked a different SP song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Man of Constant Sorrow
Totally forgot O Brother, would have picked Down to the River or the song with the sirens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Even worse the Muppets one made me realize I forgot Rainbow Connection which would have been in my top 5 had I remembered it. FFFFFFFF
I remembered Rainbow Connection!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:42 AM
-ryn

Quote:
31. Uncle Fucker
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
I really hate that song. I really dislike most everything about that show, but it does have a few moments that are funny. That song is the worst though.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 AM
It's all good, man

How long before a song gets three votes?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 AM
Dinger!

I'm actually not sure how we haven't reached that point yet. The highest score a song should be able to get from two votes is 50 and the last couple have had more than that.

Tags
democracy was a mistake , muppets , puting on the ritz , the hills are alive , too cool for frozen , top 50 countdown