The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 AM
-ryn

"Cell Block Tango" was on my list and probably would have been pretty high. I really like the visuals of the red scarves and the refrain of the sound effects they chant means if you hear it, that it is going to stick in your head for a while.

"Hot Patootie" wouldn't have been the Rocky song I would have picked, but I'm glad Meatloaf gets some love from the list.

I've never seen JCSS, but that song was really well performed. The actor really gets a lot of emotion across. And the concept of the song (a first hand account of the guy who the bible refers to as a traitor) sounds interesting.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:14 AM
Sudden chomper

I thought it was an intentional choice to cast a black man for Judas, but I can't find anything to back that claim up on the internet. The singer on the original cast recording was a white man, so I guess it wasn't an ideological thing.

I love JC Superstar and I love that song and I love both the actor who plays Judas in that video (Carl Anderson) and also the guy who sings on the cast recording (Murray Head). The movie is an amazing piece of 70s psychedelia, filled with ballet jazz and weird actors and strange sets. At the same time, it somehow humanizes Jesus and the conflicts around him in a way that nothing else I've seen ever managed. It's great in its own way, but the soundtrack release has very poor audio quality, so I always listen to the Original Cast Recording version. It's great too, although a few scenes fall flat compared to the movie versions (especially King Herod). But the cast recording features Ian Frickin' Gillan from Deep Purple (and, more importantly, Blue Dragon) as Jesus and he just knocks it out of the park. It's a great album and my favorite Webber musical by a country mile.

In other news, I can't stand Moulin Rouge or Chicago. Musicals are a real love-them-or-hate-them genre.

Last edited by MCBanjoMike; 01-19-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Not a Beer

None of my choices in this set, but I strongly suspect this isn't the last we'll see of either RHPS or JCSS. Though I don't know if my somewhat idiosyncratic pick from the latter will make it. But speaking of which, like Mike just said, the movie version of JCSS is a pretty great experience and I'd recommend it to almost anyone.

Oh, and if you want some really obscure cover trivia, filker Tom Smith covered Hot Patootie Bless My Soul only set to the tune of Ode To Joy during his production of the Rocky Horror Muppet Show. So there's that.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM
#deadfish2017

I went more obscure with my RHPS pick. I'm hoping to see it make the list but it's no time-warp or whatever.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 AM
For blood and gold

I was unaware there was a movie of JCSS.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Gesundheit!

A little late on this, but I love that Billy Joel is not merely the singer of "Why Should I Worry," but also Dodger's voice actor for the entire movie. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
A little late on this, but I love that Billy Joel is not merely the singer of "Why Should I Worry," but also Dodger's voice actor for the entire movie. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I know, right? Are there any other Disney movies where they gave the musical act one of the prominent character roles? I was going to say that Sebastian from The Little Mermaid was voiced by Bobby McFerrin, but then I looked it up and that isn't true. But it autocompletes in Google! Why?? Why did I think that was true and why do other people also think that was true?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I know, right? Are there any other Disney movies where they gave the musical act one of the prominent character roles?
Idina Menzell?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Idina Menzell?
I mean, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I was mostly thinking of musicians who aren't actors (like ol' Billy). Idina was a broadway/television actress and singer, so it wasn't surprising to see her take on both the speaking and singing roles for Elsa. Unless Billy Joel had an acting career that I'm not aware of?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Idina Menzell?
Idina Menzel is an established musical theatre actor rather than a pop act, and that sort of casting happens in Disney musicals all the time (like Angela Lansbury in "Beauty and the Beast"). Remember Menzel was the original Maureen in RENT and Elphaba in WICKED.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Unless Billy Joel had an acting career that I'm not aware of?
I mean, why else would he be on Inside the Actor's Studio?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Safe Space

44. One More Sleep 'til Christmas
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Score: 49
Mentions: 2

When does it happen?
It's Christmas Eve and Bob Cratchit, aka Kermit the Frog, has just convinced Ebenezer Scrooge to give him (and the rats/other clerks) Christmas Day off.

Covered by whom?
Nobody famous, exactly. I thought the song "One More Sleep" by Leona Lewis was a cover at first, but when I listened to the song, it's more like "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. Oh well.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Safe Space

44. Three Bedroom House
Bat Boy: The Musical

When does it happen?
Uh. I had never heard of Bat Boy before. The musical, I mean. So I'm just going to quote Wikipedia here. "Edgar" here is the titular Bat Boy.
Quote:
Act II

At the revival meeting Reverend Hightower offers a faith healing (“A Joyful Noise”). Meredith, Shelley and Edgar arrive and Edgar volunteers himself for the faith healing. The town are disgusted by his presence but Edgar implores them to accept him (“Let Me Walk Among You”). The townsfolk are won over by Edgar’s eloquence and civility and embrace him (“A Joyful Noise (Reprise)”).

Dr. Parker arrives at the revival and reveals Ruthie has died, blaming her death on Edgar. The townsfolk are furious and, once again, turn on Edgar. In the ensuing struggle Edgar attacks Rick Taylor; under the pretense of tending to his wounds Dr. Parker administers Rick with a lethal injection to serve as further proof that Edgar is dangerous. The townsfolk form a mob, led by Parker, and pursue Edgar into the woods.

In the woods Shelley and Meredith look for Edgar. Together they decide that they will run away from Hope Falls and Dr. Parker. Shelley tells Meredith she is falling in love with Edgar and Meredith’s horrified response causes Shelley to run away deeper into the woods (“Three Bedroom House”).
Covered by whom?
Again, not really anyone of note, since the song is a duet, and the play is, as far as I can tell, a little too obscure for mainstream appeal. I couldn't even find a decent live recording of the stage show, which is why I used the soundtrack instead.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Safe Space

42. Deliver Us
The Prince of Egypt
Score: 50

When does it happen?
It's kinda the song that the movie begins with...

Covered by whom?
Come on, as if anyone could hit the song as well as Ofra Haza did.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Safe Space

42. Colors Of The Wind
Pocahontas

When does it happen?
Great White Colonist, I mean, Captain John Smith meets Idealized Noble Savage, I mean, Pocahontas, and she tries to teach him the value of things that aren't gold in the only way a Disney Princess can.

Covered by whom?
Tori Kelly if you're serious. Melissa McCarthy if you're not.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
44. Three Bedroom House
Bat Boy: The Musical

When does it happen?
Uh. I had never heard of Bat Boy before. The musical, I mean.

That Youtube video wasn't playing on TT directly, so here's a link.

If this song even slightly piques your interest, I STRONGLY recommend listening to the whole soundtrack. This show is a satire that makes fun of almost every era of musical theatre (lovingly, of course).
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Ruffian

Two more from my list. I had Deliver Us at #9 and Colors of the Wind at #16. I'm probably not legally allowed to like Pocahontas, but damn it, it's such a visually stunning film and the score is one of my all-time favorites.

The Prince of Egypt is an amazing film in so many ways, and by far the best thing DreamWorks ever did. I tried to stick to one song per musical, but I love every song in this film. It's a shame that DW ignores this masterpiece and has yet to release it on Blu-ray.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I'm probably not legally allowed to like Pocahontas
Uh... What?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Uh... What?
I'm Native American.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Outer Spacean

Yay, one of mine made it! One More Sleep til Christmas is a beautiful song. I suspect a few more of my picks will slide in, but my selections were mostly limited to a few movies.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM
#deadfish2017

One More Sleep and Three Bedroom House are the first of mine to make the list. I donno if One More Sleep is the best song from Muppet's Christmas Carol, but it's the most iconic. I have to admit, I voted for it more for the production rather than the song. There's a crazy amount of craftsmanship going on. The puppetry is of amazing quality and invention. The staging uses practical effects, stop-motion, and animation. And there's an impossible shot in there that I have no clue how they did it.

Song's sweet too.

Three Bedroom House is so good. If you haven't heard it please give it a listen. It's super catchy and has that musical uplifting vibe, but it does that great great thing where the emotion of the music is contrasted by the subject of the lyrics. This is an upbeat song where the characters are celebrating this awful untenable fantasy. Plus there's this complex character interaction going on with information that one character knows and the other doesn't and they trying to convince each other of things and misunderstandings and god... so good.

I didn't even consider Prince of Egypt! What a weird film. Super ernest, and yet totally trying to emulate Disney (and the Lion King specifically). Pretty good, and it's a wonder it even exists. I don't think Deliver Us is the best from the score though. I really like the song that chants the Egyptian gods in the back chorus, and the plagues is good too. And the dancing song in the hebrew camp... man what a weird movie to exist.

I can't get behind Colors of the Wind. Blegh.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 AM
This Guy

Colors of the Wind is a pretty good song from a pretty bad movie.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I didn't even consider Prince of Egypt! What a weird film. Super ernest, and yet totally trying to emulate Disney (and the Lion King specifically). Pretty good, and it's a wonder it even exists. I don't think Deliver Us is the best from the score though. I really like the song that chants the Egyptian gods in the back chorus, and the plagues is good too. And the dancing song in the hebrew camp... man what a weird movie to exist.
The only song that really fell flat for me in that movie is "When You Believe". It felt way too saccharine for the tone of the film.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I'm Native American.
That makes far more sense now.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 PM

Yay Muppets! I am always good with anything from MCC.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Safe Space

40. Prologue
Into The Woods
Score: 51

When does it happen?

Covered by whom?
It's a 14-minute ensemble piece complete with a narrator and Bernadette Peters as the witch. Anyone who does a cover of this song is probably performing the play.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Safe Space

40. Barcelona
Company
Score: 51

When does it happen?
I'd never heard of "Company" before now. Let's look at Wikipedia, shall we?
Quote:
Robert brings April to his apartment for a nightcap after a date. She marvels ad nauseam at how homey his place is, and he casually leads her to the bed, sitting next to her on it and working on getting her into it. She earnestly tells him of an experience from her past, involving the death of a butterfly; he counters with a bizarre remembrance of his own, obviously fabricated, and designed to put her in the mood to succumb to seduction. Meanwhile, the married women worry about Robert's single and lonesome status (as they see it), and particularly about the unsuitable qualities they find in the women he does date, asking, "Isn't she a little bit, well--Dumb? Tacky? Vulgar? Old? Tall? Aggressive? Where is she from?...She's tall enough to be your mother...." ("Poor Baby"). When the inevitable sex happens, we hear Robert's and April's thoughts, interspersed with music that expresses and mirrors their increasing excitement. This music often (as in the original Broadway production) accompanies a solo dance by Kathy, conveying the emotions and dynamics of making love; it has also been staged as a pas de deux, a group number, or been cut altogether in various productions ("Tick-Tock").[4] The next morning, April rises early, to report for duty aboard a flight to "Barcelona."
o___________________________o

Covered by whom?
o_______________________________________________o
Old 01-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
42. Deliver Us
The Prince of Egypt

When does it happen?
It's kinda the song that the movie begins with...

Covered by whom?
Come on, as if anyone could hit the song as well as Ofra Haza did.
Ok, but while you're listening to this, give the Hebrew version a shot too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgES_VvRSE

Ofra Haza's still singing it, but in my opinion her voice shines much brighter in Hebrew than it does in English. Admittedly that may be because as a native born Israeli I'm rather predisposed to enjoy my language, but Ofra Haza and other singers from her time pronounce Hebrew in a much more aesthetic and "old" style than modern Israelies do and it gives it an enchanting sound that you just don't hear anymore.

While I'm on the subject of The Prince of Egypt, let's take a moment to mention how amazing the soundtrack is in general. The Egyptian Priests' song has always fascinated me, the Plagues is a very powerful piece, but of the entire soundtrack my favorite is Through the Heaven's Eyes - I admit I don't even know the name of the singer, but he gives a wonderful performance and it makes me feel wonderful each time.

One final tidbit - Moshe's Hebrew voice actor is Dudu Fisher, who also played Jean Valjean way back in 1987's Israeli adaptation of Les Miserables, supposedly one of the first productions in the entire world. Ramses' Hebrew voice actor is Yigal Sade (that's Sa-De), who is currently playing a magnificent Javert in the currently running production of Les Miserables.
I don't personally like Fisher's Jeav Valjean - he acts it wonderfully but I find his singing lacklustre in that production (which you can totally find on youtube). Sade's Javert however is wonderful, and he's a magnificent singer - I saw the production very recently. If they ever release recordings of the current run I'll be sure to try and get it, they have a magnificent cast of singers.

*ahem* sorry for the gigantic post. I think most Israelis find that The Prince of Egypt means more to them than most other family movies by Disney, Dreamworks etc.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Not a Beer

Ah, there's another one of mine. I love Into the Woods and it has a lot of fun songs, but it's hard to pick so I went with Prologue for a little of everything.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:02 PM

The Prologue is def my favorite from ITW for those reasons

Tags
democracy was a mistake , muppets , puting on the ritz , the hills are alive , too cool for frozen , top 50 countdown