The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 AM
oh my car

Directional buttons on the detachable bobs is good from the perspective of breaking them out into multiplayer controllers. A proper D-pad is on the pro controller (sold separately).

I wonder if the docking station is sold separately as well. Probably. Considering the kind of low framerate on the basketball game, versus Skyrim Remastered running regularly (it runs on the same engine as Fallout 4), it's likely that the docking station is a hot-swappable coprocessor. That sort of technology has existed for a long time but is kind of seen as a gimmick. If this is a custom Tegra chipset as it seems to be, this would be an ideal use case for it, however. But that would still be some serious hardware that isn't strictly needed.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE-Ryan View Post
If they can have Zelda and Splatoon out on day one, nobody has any right to complain about a poor launch lineup.
What if I don't like 3D Zelda games or competitive arena shooters?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Then you can play a new Mario.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Nice looking hardware. It seems like what the Wii U should have been in the first place, and I say that as a stalwart defender of the Wii U.

That said, games please. I'll get the Mario for sure, once I get this, but whether there's anything interesting to go along with it will determine whether I buy at launch or wait a year or so. (Zelda's on Wii U, Skyrim doesn't interest me, and Mario Kart and Splatoon are supplemental purchases, not system-sellers.)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
What the hell else is there?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM

I'm super excited. I can't wait to see what else is revealed in the coming weeks. Also, there appears to be 4v4 local Splatoon matches, which will be fantastic for the big Nintendo Streetpass events down here.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:27 AM
oh my car

They're pushing Splatoon esports. That's probably more a bone to investors, although there's definitely big money there.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I wonder if the docking station is sold separately as well. Probably. Considering the kind of low framerate on the basketball game, versus Skyrim Remastered running regularly (it runs on the same engine as Fallout 4), it's likely that the docking station is a hot-swappable coprocessor. That sort of technology has existed for a long time but is kind of seen as a gimmick. If this is a custom Tegra chipset as it seems to be, this would be an ideal use case for it, however. But that would still be some serious hardware that isn't strictly needed.
I'm betting the dock is just an HDMI port and power, and the GPU on the phablet itself switches to high power mode when plugged in, to accommodate the graphical differences you're seeing.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm right. Just ask me!

I think everything shown is part of the core package, or at least, a base package and deluxe package.

Base package will be the NS, the dock (because that IS how you play it on TV, that won't be optional) power supply and the controller cradle that turns the two pieces into one controller.

Deluxe package will be all of that plus the Pro Controller, and maybe a bigger HD/Flash memory and maybe a game.

I'm pumped. This thing is exactly what I want. It's exactly what I've wanted for at least five years.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Not a Beer

Just watched the video. I like it. Could end up being my first Nintendo "console" since SNES... because if all portable dev shifts to it, I'll get one eventually. (I've been a Sony console + Nintendo portable guy for ages now.) The only thing I'd miss with this is the ability to easily carry the full portable system in my pocket, which I still do with my 3DS.

Probably won't get it at launch though because money. Though Breath of the Wild will make it awfully tempting. We'll have to see where the price points land.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finally watched the reveal trailer and, yep, looks like what I was envisioning, more or less. Looks like it's taking the best part of the WiiU (off screen play) and expanding it ridiculously farther than anticipated.

Looks like it's using cards instead of discs though, so maybe it won't be BC...
Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Chief Servbot

The design seems way more slick than what we've come to expect from Nintendo. If it does actually make that nice-ass click it will be the console's killer app

I'm in
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Little Waves

I don't know why this isn't in the first post, but here it is.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:39 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
[...] Looks like it's using cards instead of discs though, so maybe it won't be BC...
Oh, it most certainly won't. Different hardware architecture, even if the dock were to get an add-on for reading optical discs.

Given the Game Cards are thinner and have less connectors, the NS won't even be backwards compatible with the DS & 3DS.

Clipped from the page that Positronic Brain linked in the previous thread:

______
______

Now, If Nintendo confirms that the system is indeed region free -- from a standpoint of maintaining other system restrictions, it could be a smart move. While region-locking wasn't the only motivation others had for breaking open the 3DS firmware, it seemed to be a major one, and it seemed to provide for a quicker push.

That's aside from my own feelings about region locking, which -- well, yeah. Y'all likely share them.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Love and Peace

I can't wait to bring my Nintendo Switch to all of my Sangria-drinking-on-the-roof parties!

I'm hoping it'll follow the Nintendo Console rule of "basically no revisions unless it's got a foot in the grave" instead of the Nintendo Portable rule of "Don't buy the first two or three editions or else you'll get screwed on basic functionality features."
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 AM
concern troll

Why are we making new threads rather than renaming old ones? Don't you kids know there's a thread shortage?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
TARANTUL

I'll take two.

Any official info on this aside from the video?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Why are we making new threads rather than renaming old ones? Don't you kids know there's a thread shortage?
[undocks new thread from old thread, takes it to rooftop Sangria party]
Old 10-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Video World 14 is out!

My excellent thread title
Old 10-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Anyway yeah. My original scepticism has fallen away as I thought more about the implications and potential of this thing.

If it's <£300, I'm in day one, I think.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Family Man

Is the 3DS going to keep going for a while after this comes out? I doubt Nintendo wants to get rid of it in case the Switch doesn't take off well. On the other hand, if they do get rid of it, it will be the only handheld system left for smaller Japanese games, what with the Vita being Sony's last portable. Will the Japanese handheld market contract even further with no cheap, non HD machine to develop for? Where will all the skeevy Vita games go? Perhaps the PC will become the new Otaku haven, where they can make the really awful games with no restrictions.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Shares?

It looks fun. I wanna play it.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post
Back in my day we called it a switch.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Is the 3DS going to keep going for a while after this comes out? I doubt Nintendo wants to get rid of it in case the Switch doesn't take off well. On the other hand, if they do get rid of it, it will be the only handheld system left for smaller Japanese games, what with the Vita being Sony's last portable. Will the Japanese handheld market contract even further with no cheap, non HD machine to develop for? Where will all the skeevy Vita games go? Perhaps the PC will become the new Otaku haven, where they can make the really awful games with no restrictions.
This is my concern as well. I kind of love B-level 3DS games.

Maybe Altus et al. will simply make lower priced, less detailed NX games. Or...could you imagine a Steam handheld?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:17 AM

I really appreciate the split design of the controller. I plan to keep them detached as much as possible.

However they look way too small to be comfortably used as individual controllers for two people.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM

I actually really like small controllers. When the dpad, analog stick, and buttons are big and far apart you have to move your fingers longer distances to execute controls. I always felt more precise control with NES controllers than Genesis controllers for example.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Shares?

I'm going to pretend that the Switch will be able to emulate DS games and slap both screens on the same screen, maybe with some resizing options for each screen.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:31 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I'm going to pretend that the Switch will be able to emulate DS games and slap both screens on the same screen, maybe with some resizing options for each screen.
You know, maybe you will be able to play the thing in portrait mode ...

E: my main interest now is how the UI and hardware works, how much storage it has, how it will handle old VC and digital content, etc.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
You know, maybe you will be able to play the thing in portrait mode ...
Nah, the Switch will play DS games, but only those that played in landscape, like Hotel Dusk.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Nah, the Switch will play DS games, but only those that played in landscape, like Hotel Dusk.
???

Tags
任天堂 リバ , ah-ah ah-ah yeah! , all eggs in one basket , bait and switch , controllers for ants , dom/sub , ebullient millenials , hardware , joycon , lets talk preorders , litral switch to the face , miimosa party , neo-cons , nintendo , nintendo switch , no picross no sale , opinions , snap! , snitches get switches , swiitch , switch it on , switch palace , the new switcheroo , the switching hour , whip it