The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
It's not Sonic Generations 2, guys. ;P

At least, that's what Iizuka said before the video ran (and elsewhere). Not a sequel, but something all-new.
Well, then the game will probably suck.

Sonic Team constantly tosses the baby out with the bathwater when doing a new Sonic thing. Then when everyone says "okay, this is good. Do more of these," they decide "naaaaaaw."
Old 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Shit like I wouldn't play both

Once a Sonic fan always a Sonic fan

death is the only escape

Time Over
I was once a Sonic fan. The earlier games mainly, not as much the comics & other stuff.

I will admit to being excited for Sonic Mania, and I've admired Christian Whitehead's ports -- but otherwise, I'm... not as much of a Sonic fan anymore.

This is me, as someone who dove into the furry community, like, 20 years ago.

MADHAIR!
THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU YET
Old 07-25-2016, 03:39 PM

If the Sonic catalog was the Genesis games, and a bunch of devices that deliver electrical shocks to your body, I would still like Sonic.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

There's a part of me that's kinda glad that Generations wasn't followed up by literally more of the same, because one of the reasons Generations worked as well as it did was most of the heavy lifting was already done by way of Unleashed, and most of the ideas in the game from its stages, with the main change being that everything's shorter, denser (more route options), and overall much better-tuned.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Sonic Team constantly tosses the baby out with the bathwater when doing a new Sonic thing. Then when everyone says "okay, this is good. Do more of these," they decide "naaaaaaw."
Well, they did emphasize that it was the team that made Sonic Colors and Generations, rather than Lost World, so hopefully that means it leans more towards those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
There's a part of me that's kinda glad that Generations wasn't followed up by literally more of the same, because one of the reasons Generations worked as well as it did was most of the heavy lifting was already done by way of Unleashed, and most of the ideas in the game from its stages, with the main change being that everything's shorter, denser (more route options), and overall much better-tuned.
Yeah, I never really wanted a follow-up, but DLC? It figures that of all Sonic games to get DLC, this wouldn't be one of them.

I hoped even for a Wii U version with bonus content, but alas.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Little Waves

This is worth its own thread, so I made it one.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM

I don't even like Sonic but I keep watching the Sonic Mania trailer. It's just really great.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:

They oughta do a "Best of Yuji Naka" where Sonic runs through those smooth-scrolling dungeon hallways from the SMS Phantasy Star.

Mini-games could include jealously guarding your programming work from other rival SEGA development teams.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM
The 6 Million Gil Catboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I don't even like Sonic but I keep watching the Sonic Mania trailer. It's just really great.
I do like Sonic (god help me, despite only liking Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, and Sonic Generations in fifteen fucking years) and I keep watching it, too. It's a damn good trailer, and I hope the game lives up to my expectations (which is the statement that signifies I'm fully sucked into the Sonic Cycle, here we gooooo).
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
WHAT'S WRONG NERD

Sonic is good.

I appreciate Sonic.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Eight minutes of gameplay.

That is definitely a Sonic game, both exciting and meh at the same time. Just like the 90s!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Little Waves

Nothing meh about that. It looks great.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 PM
All Things Voe

This looks wonderful, and I'm so happy they went with a Sonic 1-styled sprite because I never much cared for his Sonic 3 redesign. The new stage visually reminds me of Sonic CD and Sonic Crackers. The stage layout is also reminiscent of Sonic CD, and I'm pleased to see that there were no visible death pits (something that later 2D Sonic games had waaaay too many of).

Bonus points for SegaSonic Popcorn Shop cameo.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM

the new stage definitely doesn't have death pits because it wraps vertically the way stages like ice cap (1) and labyrinth (3) do
Old 09-05-2016, 08:21 PM
noble beast

found this compelling

when the player tried to bounce the little victory placard up and down at the end of act 1, I was just like "yes, yes, keep going, that's my impulse, as well."
Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Looks like Sonic picks up speed a bit faster than the originals (or maybe just Sonic 1?). Studiopolis seems kinda confusing, but that's OK - every level can have its own style.

Can't wait to see the other characters.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Sonic Mania delayed until the summer; the 3-D game is titled Sonic Forces, is running on an updated version of the Generations engine, and will have gameplay revealed tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 PM
BadAce Normal

So Sonic Forces isn't Generations 2.

But...its Generations 2.

We think.

I wonder why Iizuka was trying so hard to sandbag people, when saying "this is Generations 2 in terms of the engine and gameplay style, but with all new levels" would actually produce more excitement and optimism.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The only fandom with their heads more up their ass is maybe the Mass Effect guys. Maybe.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Video World 13 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The only fandom with their heads more up their ass is maybe the Mass Effect guys. Maybe.
Rude.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

C'mon, because the Sonic Cycle isn't a thing.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Little Waves

It's hard to think of cases where the "Sonic Cycle" actually proved accurate. Sonic '06, Lost World, maybe Sonic 4. Arguably Unleashed, but that was introduced to the world with a set of leaked screenshots that included this.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Right, but it's the 'creation of the fandom' aspect I'm interested in, not the accuracy of the cycle itself.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:13 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
*Insert political joke of your choice here*

What are you even talking about? There was no huge outpouring of criticism of Sega for any of these announcements. It seems like you were just drive-by shitposting.

P.S. This is a week where a prominent independent reviewer had his site DDoS attacked due to his BotW review, so it's a bit ill-timed, too.

P.S.S. Sonic Mania is also brought to us in large part to some one who started out making Sonic fangames. So I think that re-balances things just a tad.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So Sonic Forces isn't Generations 2.

But...its Generations 2.

We think.

I wonder why Iizuka was trying so hard to sandbag people, when saying "this is Generations 2 in terms of the engine and gameplay style, but with all new levels" would actually produce more excitement and optimism.
Generations is arguably Unleashed 3 (I say arguably because I think, outside of more emphasis on the boost mechanic, more of its DNA comes from Colors, which shares only superficial similarities with Unleashed), so this would be...Unleashed 4? It's still weird that Classic Sonic is supposed to be there though
Old 03-17-2017, 03:54 PM
BadAce Normal

I know where you are coming from, but Unleashed's runtime is dominated by the Night sequences, which aren't represented in any one of the follow-ups (thankfully). I'd almost like to group the post-Unleashed games together as the "Wisp era," but Lost World includes them for no real reason. I also think that Unleashed's Day controls and feel of the levels are not as immediately satisfying as Colors/Generations. I wish I could explain it more concretely. Maybe way too loose is what I mean?

However, Forces is apparently going to include both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic stages, the modern Sonic will play much like Generations' version, and the Classic Sonic will likely be much like the Genesis-style physics from Generations 1 (perhaps even improved now). That pretty much makes it more like any two of the main 3D series since the Adventure titles. I think new stages is really all that will make it not-Generations.

However, Sonic Colors DS is Rush 3, so basically Sega is horrible with making game titles/deliberately is avoiding using numbers in the title.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
I know where you are coming from, but Unleashed's runtime is dominated by the Night sequences, which aren't represented in any one of the follow-ups (thankfully).
I'd still argue that the HD Werehog stages are the most well developed non-traditional Sonic gameplay in a Sonic game. Not that they don't have their problems (rail walking, QTE boss fights), but generally they were more playable than the daytime stuff.

The SD Werehog stages are boring tripe, though. Wii/PS2 Hog of War only gets a couple of piddly swipes compared to 360/PS3 Hog of War's vast 3D action game moveset.

Quote:
I also think that Unleashed's Day controls and feel of the levels are not as immediately satisfying as Colors/Generations. I wish I could explain it more concretely. Maybe way too loose is what I mean?
There's definitely a level of imprecision in the movement in HD Sonic Unleashed, enough so that precision platforming between really short gaps can unexpectedly be a colossal pain in the ass. Sonic's also a bit too fast in this game.

Also HDSU moved the homing attack to a different button Jesus Christ what the fuck man?!

But the bigger problems with the traditional Sonic gameplay is the heaps of bullshit piled on. Bottomless pits everywhere, randomized Dial-A-QTE ramps, spikes you never notice until it's too late to not run right into them, grind rails with spikes and breaks and assholes trying to kill you all at once on them, those jump pads from SA1 but now you have to press the displayed button or die.

In short, fuck QTEs.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Video World 13 is out!

It's difficult to muster the enthusiasm to post about this series on here anymore because when I'm enthusiastic about the series I get crapped on, and when I'm posting measured criticisms of the series I also get crapped on. And when I buy Sonic games I'm often crapping on myself, and now there's crap everywhere and I'm turning thirty in two weeks and I'm writing about Sonic on the internet just put me in my fucking grave I'm done.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Doesn't bug me if you like a critically panned game, dood. I don't derive any joy from bashing people for enjoying those games like some tyrants do.

Of course, it doesn't mean I agree with your opinions, but I've got better things to do than start some long petulant NO U fight over turkey gaming. Like trying to bait new cats into visiting me in Neko Atsume.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
However, Forces is apparently going to include both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic stages, the modern Sonic will play much like Generations' version, and the Classic Sonic will likely be much like the Genesis-style physics from Generations 1 (perhaps even improved now).
So it's half of a bad game attached to half of an okay one, like Generations. Gotcha.

Tags
anniversary , hedging your bets , sega , sonic the hedgehog