The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM
concern troll

So what is the maximum number of arrows? Is there one? I've bought up into the 30s many times, and I think I've hoarded 20+ bomb arrows.

I absolutely love that they made the bow such an integral part of the game. It totally makes sense that the first trailer only showed Link using a bow.

They really nailed the feeling of sneaking around and putting arrows into dudes. It hits me just right like MGS5 did, and I'm a person who generally HATES stealth games. When it's an option like this it can work so well. It's so good that I've found myself occasionally looking for a "reload" button between headshots, hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
A bunch of those tiny stone enemies swarmed me when I was distracted and taking a picture of something. In my frantic button mashing to get back to bombs I accidentally picked one up!? So that's how I'm dealing with those guys now.
One of my favorite accidental things that happened to me: I was fighting a Stal monster and instead of stabbing his bouncing head I picked it up. So naturally I went to throw it off a cliff, and Link actually PUNTED it. I love it.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM
oh my car

If there's a maximum amount of anything, it's probably 999.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
So what is the maximum number of arrows? Is there one? I've bought up into the 30s many times, and I think I've hoarded 20+ bomb arrows.
I've got extra rupees and have been cleaning Beedle out every time I see him, and I'm regularly holding about 150 so far so it's somewhere north of that. Way more than you need definitely.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

I thought the Dark Souls/Breath of the Wild comparisons were overblown until I faced my first lynel. Any tips or tricks? Because this guy is just wrecking me.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I thought the Dark Souls/Breath of the Wild comparisons were overblown until I faced my first lynel. Any tips or tricks? Because this guy is just wrecking me.
Their melee attacks are fairly easy to dodge with a backflip, opening them up for a flurry. Definitely need a couple of decent weapons to take one down, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM
oh my car

If you're not confident in having the dodging motions down, you can use a shield to block nearly everything they can do. Shoot them in the face to stun them, then unload a heavy weapon spin attack. Stasis+ will help you line up the shot.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
meaningless Code

Yeah honestly just go toe-to-toe with them if you're well armed. Their arrows from afar are far deadlier than their melee attacks. Also, if you sneak up behind them, you can mount them and get in a few free attacks before they kick you off.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Stay in close, their charge attacks are killer and hard to dodge. If you have a tree or a pillar around, dance around it as cover, but watch out that his attacks won't reach around.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I've taken my first two down in the last day. Forced me to finally get the combat down so I think I've become a pretty good player. They're a good litmus test, like taking on the early game Black Knights in Dark Souls 1.

Interesting structure for the game:

While I've only tackled two Divine Beast quests, I think it's interesting that the "first" dungeon quest (Zora's Domain) pits you against a Lynel. The other dungeon quest I did (Goron City) isn't nearly so daunting. I think it provides a good incentive to find alternative methods, to explore more, while still being doable on its own. You can straight up purchase the necessary item at Korok Forest or Gerudo Town, which sends a great message about alternative solutions to exploratory-minded players.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
While I've only tackled two Divine Beast quests, I think it's interesting that the "first" dungeon quest (Zora's Domain) pits you against a Lynel.
You don't have to kill the Lynel. I just crept around and grabbed the lightning arrows, which are lying around almost everywhere. (Unless killing him is not what you meant by against.)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM
It's all good, man

I started this this weekend, got off the plateau, and I'm heading towards the first quest location.

It's reminding me of the first time playing Skyrim, where I have a goal I'm generally heading towards but I'm allowing myself to be distracted by things I spot on the way. Finished five shrines and found a couple stables.

I'm not sure how the breakable weapons are really a problem for anyone? I'm throwing weapons away constantly because I'm finding superior equipment faster than I'm breaking it.

I only played it for a few hours before sleeping both times, but I could easily see myself losing an entire day to it without realizing.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I also realized that I could just sneak around and collect the necessary number of lightening arrows - it's nice that the game doesn't gate your progress at having to beat him. I do want to beat him (and other lynels) at some point, but I'm playing with an impatient four-year-old so time is money.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Good Bee

I've been in the same state with this game for the last week or so, where I'm at the point where I probably should be going ahead and beating the game, but I'm sure that once I do I'll probably lose momentum and I don't want it to be over, so I'm going around and doing a whole bunch of other stuff.

There's so much to do in this game that isn't covered by the main quest progression at all, I find it really fun and rewarding to just look at some big section of map that I haven't found a shrine in yet and just go exploring there. Once you get all the towers to open up the entire map, that becomes a whole lot easier.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM
concern troll

I've been gradually trying to hit all the towers and fill out the map before doing any of the main quests. It's been super satisfying.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
I've been gradually trying to hit all the towers and fill out the map before doing any of the main quests. It's been super satisfying.
I did the same thing, and had a blast doing it. For me, no game quite hits the sweet spot of "explore more of the map, find the tower to unlock more of the map, repeat" satisfaction like this game does, even though it's a gameplay loop that's extremely familiar to anyone who's played an Assassin's Creed game.

One little tip/warning about unlocking towers in particular: One of the divine beasts (Rito, in the NW) unlocks an ability that completely trivializes the mini-puzzle process of ascending every tower in the game. (These "puzzles" are often simply "Chug stamina food, solved", but a few of them get a bit more clever than that.) This can be really handy, but it's one of those cases where you unlock an ability that makes a fun/interesting problem (finding ways to navigate through each new slightly different obstacle course) into a trivial one (just skip right past the entire thing, done, repeat exactly the same thing for the next tower). Because of this, I would suggest that you either seek the NW-direction divine beast out ASAP if you're interested in trivializing all tower ascents, or avoid the NW-direction divine beast if you don't want to trivialize all tower ascents and don't think you'll be able to resist doing so if granted the ability.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM
concern troll

yeah, I'm trying to see how much of the World I can see while still relatively under-powered (though I have no idea what additional permanent upgrades the game has in store for me.

The dude who's doing the Boss Keys series did a breakdown on why BOTW's open world works so well (for him). Minor mechanical spoilers:

He hits on one of the things that I did almost exactly that made me fucking love the game: I ran into a Lynel and shit my pants. Just for the hell of it I tried to take it on, and got my faced punched in (ran through THREE fairies in the process). It made me smile so much because it felt exactly like coming across those same guys on Death Mountain in LOZ (or anywhere in Randomizer). Just bringing back that creature that's been largely absent from the games for the purpose of punishing me for exploring out of my depths was genius.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:55 AM
It's all good, man

I saw a blood moon and I tamed a horse and I visited Karaiko Village (hello framerates) and now I'm heading to Hateno.

I like the point that video makes about all of the content in that game being preparation for your actual quest. Kind of solves that open world disconnect without trying too hard.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
He hits on one of the things that I did almost exactly that made me fucking love the game: I ran into a Lynel and shit my pants. Just for the hell of it I tried to take it on, and got my faced punched in (ran through THREE fairies in the process). It made me smile so much because it felt exactly like coming across those same guys on Death Mountain in LOZ (or anywhere in Randomizer). Just bringing back that creature that's been largely absent from the games for the purpose of punishing me for exploring out of my depths was genius.
Just wait until you meet a Hinox! You'll be so happy!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 PM
concern troll

Oh, I killed one of those with his own trophy weapons already

Another moment that demonstrates how well designed this game is and why I love it.

I flew into this random valley and saw the biggest fucking horse ever. Clearly I had to catch this thing. It took me a couple tries, but using my stealth gear and chugging a stamina potion, I got him! I was super happy but a little nervous because I was miles from any stable I had marked, but I figured there had to be one in the region I hadn't found. On my way out of the valley buy the ground path (opposite of the cliff I flew in from) I run into an NPC, who's like, whoa, that's a big fucking horse. I've been researching horses and wanted to find this big guy and you brought him right to me, here's $100. And a short nerve-racking journey later, I found my stable.

What I love so much about this is the game didn't tell me what do to. I figured it out "backwards." In 9 out of 10 other open world games, either the target of a quest wouldn't spawn in the world until after I got the quest from the NPC, or at the very least the world would be designed in such a way that I was geographically funneled from NPC to the target with little chance of missing the quest giver before the quest item. But because this game GETS what makes open world exploration fun, I had the experience of just finding something cool in the world before the game told me to look for it. And that's great.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Oh, I killed one of those with his own trophy weapons already

Another moment that demonstrates how well designed this game is and why I love it.

I flew into this random valley and saw the biggest fucking horse ever. Clearly I had to catch this thing. It took me a couple tries, but using my stealth gear and chugging a stamina potion, I got him! I was super happy but a little nervous because I was miles from any stable I had marked, but I figured there had to be one in the region I hadn't found. On my way out of the valley buy the ground path (opposite of the cliff I flew in from) I run into an NPC, who's like, whoa, that's a big fucking horse. I've been researching horses and wanted to find this big guy and you brought him right to me, here's $100. And a short nerve-racking journey later, I found my stable.

What I love so much about this is the game didn't tell me what do to. I figured it out "backwards." In 9 out of 10 other open world games, either the target of a quest wouldn't spawn in the world until after I got the quest from the NPC, or at the very least the world would be designed in such a way that I was geographically funneled from NPC to the target with little chance of missing the quest giver before the quest item. But because this game GETS what makes open world exploration fun, I had the experience of just finding something cool in the world before the game told me to look for it. And that's great.
You now own Ganon's horse. Gratz! You can now steamroll bokoblins like ants on a highway.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
I haven't done that specific quest, but a similar thing happen to me on Hyrule Ridge with the pure white royal horse that I happened to spot at the horse monument overlooking the river. I tried to nab it at first, couldn't because of stamina, then later on I found a stable nearby and a guy told me the backstory. I was then determined to get that horse the next time I was in the area -- and I did!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:55 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Man, I just can't get behind the direction of Gabe's art. That second panel is just ugly.

So back to talking about horses, I was down in the Southwest, exploring, and I found an absolutely beautiful chestnut horse. So I caught it and ran it back to a stable and imagine my surprise when it's stats were bad. Only one star in strength, three speed, and four stamina. The horse I caught to the northeast about 40 hours ago, a beauty with a dark gray body and black mane, had better stats: four, three, and four stars. For reference, Epona from the Smash Amiibo is considered the perfect horse stat-wise with 4 stars in all categories.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
concern troll

Man, I got amiibo horse in the middle of nowhere and didn't take it to a stable. I didn't even realize it was special. Just thought I dropped and abandoned a random horse in frozen hell.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
King Of Space-Time

Zelda's horse is better. 5 Spurs when galloping. And Ganon's horse? RUN FOREVER.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 AM
?!

I don't feel like I "get" horses in this game. Unless there's an unlock I've missed, they can't climb up vertical surfaces or jump off high ledges, and I don't go two minutes when exploring without climbing up or jumping off something. So I spend a minute or two capturing one, only to find myself needing to abandon it just as quickly.

I know some people just like horses, and that makes sense, as just the act of riding one around could be fun in that case. But practically speaking, I've probably spent a grand total of 10 minutes on horseback in my entire time with the game because I don't know what the net gain of a horse is.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Definitely not a werewolf

In order to encourage exploring, I don't fast travel except from the top of Sheikah Towers. Horses are great because they are a lot faster than walking. If I'm exploring and I find something I need to climb, I hop off and go do that. When I'm done, I'm either close enough to whistle for my horse or glide back to them, or I continue without them and just wait until I'm near a stable to summon them.

Fighting from horseback can be fun, too.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 AM
King Of Space-Time

Oh agreed. Nothing like knocking mob on it's butt with a nice jab of the polearm, and then circle skewering.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
The horse I caught to the northeast about 40 hours ago, a beauty with a dark gray body and black mane, had better stats: four, three, and four stars. For reference, Epona from the Smash Amiibo is considered the perfect horse stat-wise with 4 stars in all categories.
Dang, samesies! But mine is a lovely brown color. I love my horse, even if it's not very useful in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Jump and shoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I don't feel like I "get" horses in this game. Unless there's an unlock I've missed, they can't climb up vertical surfaces or jump off high ledges, and I don't go two minutes when exploring without climbing up or jumping off something. So I spend a minute or two capturing one, only to find myself needing to abandon it just as quickly.

I know some people just like horses, and that makes sense, as just the act of riding one around could be fun in that case. But practically speaking, I've probably spent a grand total of 10 minutes on horseback in my entire time with the game because I don't know what the net gain of a horse is.
If you're using fast travel, it's not so much about getting from A to B as it is choosing to explore a part of the world you wouldn't bother with as much on foot.

Link can go in pretty much a straight line to most destinations, which for me involved a lot of climbing over mountains and sticking to higher ground (I totally missed the seed guy at first, entering Kakariko from the side facing Hyrule Field). After doing a lot of that, I eventually found a horse and traveled the roads and open plains, and ran across a lot of stables and NPCs and shrines I wouldn't have seen otherwise. By choosing specifically to explore the roads and ignore mountains for a while, bringing a horse was useful.

Tags
breath of the wild , calamity ganon , fallout new kasuto , faron cry , gives me the ghiblis , grand theft epona , he come to town , morrowind waker , nintendo , shadow of the biggoron , sheikah's creed , skyrim sword , switch , timefractals , timetrees , vandal pyro elf , zelda , zelder scrolls