The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I dug in vain for a discussion of the insanity behind Amarillo Design Bureau or Chaosium. Did they get skipped?
No they're definitely there. Chaosium is in the 70s book and Amarillo in the '80s.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
No they're definitely there. Chaosium is in the 70s book and Amarillo in the '80s.
Now I get to see if reading all of ADB's history in one place shatters my reason and turns me into a lovecraft villain (wait, I look white, scrub that)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Now I get to see if reading all of ADB's history in one place shatters my reason and turns me into a lovecraft villain (wait, I look white, scrub that)
Oh no, it looks like ADB is a sidebar in the Task Force Games section; Appelcline identifies them as being not primarily involved in the RPG industry.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Oily Butt Thing

clearly we need the separate book about loco wargaming companies of the New Right era.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
clearly we need the separate book about loco wargaming companies of the New Right era.
Like I need the breath of life.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
That'll have to be written by someone outside the US or wait until we have a government again. The amount of liquor required to get through that would lead to quite the dialysis bill.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
>MAGIC

A friend-of-a-friend is working on a PbtA Noir game. That's about all I know, but that's enough for me to back it!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 AM
>MAGIC

So, I've played a couple of games of Mobile Frame 0: Firebrands and, friends, it is truly something.

It's about a group of mech pilots on different sides of an evolving conflict, dueling and arguing and flirting and firing barrages of missiles at each other. It's very, very simple to pick up and get going. The overall rules are very brief, character creation involves reading a bit about your faction and writing a few words on a card, and each player has a copy of all of the remaining material they might need to reference.

Essentially, what you do is go around in a circle, taking turns. On your turn, you pick a "game" (a type of scene) and a partner, you both turn to that page in the rules, and then you play out that scene. Games are things like A Discussion Over Food, A Dance, Meeting Sword To Sword, A Tactical Skirmish, Stealing Time Together....

The games themselves are also very clever. Typically, they involve the participants making a series of challenges and responses back and forth, based on a list of possibilities. So, for instance, a swordfight might go something like this:

Quote:
Austace: We circle, sword tips touching. What do you say to me?
Baile: "I'm sorry you were able to catch me. I had hoped I wouldn't have to kill you." Suddenly, I thrust and you barely turn it; a fraction slower and you'd have been cut through. Does it exhilarate you or chill you?
Austace: It exhilarates me - I laugh involuntarily as I twist away. But immediately I launch a sustained attack with my weight behind it. Do you give ground readily or grudgingly?
Baile: We don't have much room to maneuver, here - I make you fight for every inch of ground. But in my eagerness to force you back, I overreach slightly and you have an opportunity to slip in a dirty little cut. Do you take it?
Austace: No, but instead I catch your wrist in my hand and draw you close to me. Do you let your sword drop, or do you shove me away and fight on?
Baile: I let my sword drop - and it's my turn to pick the next game, right? I say the two of us are Stealing Time Together!
Also? It's kinda hot.

I'm working on an adaptation to try out with my friend where instead of mech pilots you play as Gems (with the serial numbers filed off) fighting over Earth, where each character type gets different lists of questions for each game - say, a Warrior might win fights with shows of incredible force, whereas an Ornament might win by cleverly taking advantage of an opponent that underestimates them.

Last edited by will; 04-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Inherently Stealthy

... You know, Vince Baker is remarkably bad at promoting his shit.

I've backed both MF0 Kickstarters and the AW2e Kickstarter; you'd think that would mean I'd be the ideal audience to have heard about that book. Possibly through, say, a Kickstarter update?

Yeah, I had no idea it existed.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM
>MAGIC

Yeah, sounds like you're the right demographic! I probably only really heard about it by poking around his website after not seeing any new posts for a while...? I've decided to follow his Patreon to keep up to date on what he's doing.

Fair warning, though, this isn't Apocalyse World But About Mobile Frame Zero. It's "Powered By The Apocalypse" in the sense that the games are "elaborations of Apocalypse World's moves, designed explicitly to treat your conversation as the medium of play", but it doesn't have playbooks, stats, moves as such, 2d6, any of that.

Bonus content: I got to talk to Mia Schwartz (of We Know The Devil) this past Pax East, and it sounds like her upcoming game, Heaven Will Be Mine, has a lot in common with Firebrands. Which made me that much more excited to play both things.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM
and ermine, too

The GMing best practices in Blades in the Dark are great. A lot of them express ideas I've almost- or unknowingly arrived at.

Apocalypse World made me look at RPGs in a completely different way, but Blades digests those same ideas and pushes them into a shape that fits my preferences very well.

Quote:
Be a curious explorer of the game in play. Ask the players questions to feed your own interest in the ongoing fiction in which the PCs are protagonists. Your game series is a cool TV show and you're its biggest fan. When you’re curious about something that a PC says or does, ask them about it! “I’m curious, though, when you tell him you’d do anything to help, do you really mean that? Anything? Are you that kind of person? Or are you just manipulating him?” These questions will often lead to goals, approaches, and rolls.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Dinger!

It's a really well written book. And a super fun game too!

If you ever want to play, pence, let me know.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Inherently Stealthy

So I know there's an entire thread for Kickstarters, but I feel like these are relevant to this thread's interests and would likely just get lost there...

Cam Banks is running a Kickstarter for a new generic Cortex rulebook. This is fantastic because Cam is fantastic, and Cortex is fantastic, and this is finally probably the release the system deserves. As usual for a generic rules kickstarter, the stretch goals are a bunch of fantastic settings/mini-games.

There's also a Kickstarter for a second edition of Eclipse Phase, the transhuman sci-fi game that's not terrible libertarian trash and actually does interesting stuff. I'm considering backing it even though percentile systems give me hives.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I backed both and my wallet now hates you, Egarwaen. I barely avoided backing anything out of the related campaign sections of either of them, at least. Why am I even tempted by a second edition of Aces & Eights? It's not like I've ever even tried to get my copy of the first edition to the table in the first place....
Old 05-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I ran my first session of Blades in the Dark on Monday. We got through character and crew creation and started the first score (stealing a rival gang's treasury). It went really well! I'm excited to play more.
My hard copy arrived today.

Now if I only had people to play it with...
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Dinger!

I wish I had time for another game in my schedule, because I'd be totally down to play.