The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Gesundheit!

Default Favorite rappers

I really loved the embedded video in this article, which demonstrates how rapping has evolved since the days of Kurtis Blow and exactly what Rakim, Biggie, Eminem, Doom, and most recently Kendrick really brought to the table in terms of style and complexity. I never noticed what a tapestry of internal rhymes "Lose Yourself" is, all while telling a story - it's mind-boggling.

So what are Tyrants' favorite MCs? Some additional ones of mine:

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious): like the Micro Machines guy in rapper form - just a relentless barrage of tongue-twisters at light speed.
GZA (Wu-Tang): Most of Wu-Tang applies to this list, but I've always loved Genius's cerebral and commanding twang.
Jay-Z: Maybe not nearly as technically polished as the masters in the video, Jigga at his best (Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint) is the Jagger of hip-hop, with a ton of swagger and an instantly recognizable personality.
Myka/Mikah 9 (Freestyle Fellowship): Ridiculously versatile and musical, in a very quiet and subdued way. He's often overshadowed by his louder, more in-your-face colleague Aceyalone but I think he's the better rapper overall.

I'll think of a ton more in like five minutes, probably, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Kool G Rap.

Live and Let Die is a masterpiece of mean violent ignorant music.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Is there not one thing

Young motherfuckin Thug raps like a goddamned Venusian who just touched down in his flying saucer
Old 05-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Daveed Diggs has gotten a lot of exposure thanks to being in Hamilton, but his work in clipping. is some incredible stuff, just in terms of flow and control.

I could listen to Pusha T and Ghostface Killah no matter what they're rapping about or what beat they're over, just because I always love the way they sound.

Also Big Boi, MF DOOM, YG, Black Thought
Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Shares?

Biggie
Old 05-21-2016, 07:28 PM
bunch of bozos

Aesop Rock is in a league of his own. I dare anybody to try and catch every word he's saying on any given record in one listen. Fabulous wordplay.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:40 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
Aesop Rock is in a league of his own. I dare anybody to try and catch every word he's saying on any given record in one listen. Fabulous wordplay.
Aesop Rock made me remember I like indie rap again. I've been listening to nothing but The Impossible Kid for the past few days now, it's so damn good. Figuring out what the hell he's rapping about is so satisfying. The song Kirby is about his damn cat FFS, he's so good.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Cormega, Immortal Technique, Young Jeezy, KRS-One, Lil' Wayne, Wiz Khalifa
Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Aesop Rock is unfuckwithable lately. And his collab with Rob Sonic in Hail Mary Mallon is fucking great. Not that I've heard the first album, but "Bestiary" has gotten countless spins over the past year.

See also: "Run the Jewels 2," another album that is just so SO damn good. Killer Mike really shines when he's working with El-P. El-P is a good rapper, but he's an extraordinary producer.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:09 AM
bunch of bozos

Just gonna put this here. Sounded like the future in 2002, and still does nearly 15 (!!!) years later. Makes me wish El and Aes collaborated a whole lot more often.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

And also: Shut Up, Man by Das Racist and El-P. El-P brings an absolutely sick production. Heems is in top-form on this track, and El-P has a cool verse too. One of my favorite hip-hop songs that I've ever heard.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
And also: Shut Up, Man by Das Racist and El-P. El-P brings an absolutely sick production. Heems is in top-form on this track, and El-P has a cool verse too. One of my favorite hip-hop songs that I've ever heard.
YES! Das Racist's first two mixtapes will live forever inside my heart, and Kool AD has been doing ridiculous cool shit ever since they broke up. Like this, for example. Love it mayne.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yeah "Delorean" is rad. I'm not too familiar with El-P's solo stuff, so that was new for me. Super cool though.

Ok this Kool A.D. track is rad too. I could get into this.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Oily Butt Thing

there is also me and BEAT's hero, certified lunatic RA the Rugged Man

he also has a pretty funny twitter feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ratheruggedman
I ask for GREEN TEA on my show rider & the promoter says "Thats code for Weed, right?" I'm like "No, I want GREEN TEA... with fucking HONEY"
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Little Waves

1. Kendrick
2. Run-D.M.C.
3. Mega Ran
4. Ludacris
5. Kanye

My top five.

Last edited by Kishi; 05-22-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Oily Butt Thing

it is always hard for me to pick a favorite Geto Boy. My head says Scarface, obviously. But my heart says Willie D.

also Bushwick's verse on "Two to the Head" fuckin slaaaaaaaaaays

Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Christ, he never stops. That's nuts.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Rugged Man is an interesting story. He was around back in the '90s and for a time had a big money deal with Jive Records that blew up spectacularly (partly because the label had signed the absolute wrong guy for what kind of music they wanted to get out of him, partly because RA is crazy). He sorta came back in 2005 when he did a feature on a Jedi Mind Tricks record that annihilated the entire rest of the album. Look up "Uncommon Valor."

nother contemporary dude: Jaysaun, from Boston, one third of Special Teamz and shows up a lot on Coka Nostra records. I keep waiting for him to put out an LP of his own. This is from the first Slaine record.

eta: Sticky Fingaz had the uncanny ability to rap in what was allegedly English, in practice seemed to be no known language, and still sounded hard as shit.

all I want for Christmas is another Onyx and Biohazard single.

Last edited by The Raider Dr. Jones; 05-22-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
This is awesome, thanks.

I'm also gonna have to check out that new Aesop Rock. I love Labor Days but haven't really kept up with him since.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

^ "Skelethon" is awesome. I don't know what album I'll end up thinking is better after I've had a year with "The Impossible Kid", but "Skelethon" may be Aesop's best yet. But the new one is different, and also really REALLY good. I'd say check them both out.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM

speaking of rhyming and wu tang masta killa is probably my outside choice for favorite wu member because he has the most bizarre free form rhyming structures of the group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLPRsCST8A

also gucci's staccato flow is *italian chef kissin fingers thing*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzot92vWBI4

aside from that uh, kool keith, mf doom, andre nickatina, chuck d, lil b, danny brown, rza, deck (i think rza and deck are the only other wu members that i like more than normal for their lyricism. I like everyone in the group but i don't wanna put all here), aceyalone (yea, he's the choice of freestyle fellowship as far as I'm concerned)

whatever
Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
aceyalone
Yes! I haven't thought about him in years.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Gesundheit!

I may have rated Ace behind Myka 9 in my original list, but All Balls Don't Bounce may be my most-listened-to hip-hop album. It's so good.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

I don't know where to put this, but Attrell Cordes of PM Dawn just died of complications from diabetes. The band was frequently bashed for being "soft as marshmallows" (fuck you too, Complex) but you know, sometimes you just want to sit down in a comfy couch and let your mind drift in psychedelic bliss. PM Dawn frequently covered Beatles songs, and in my opinion, their catchy cover of Norwegian Wood was a lot more enjoyable than the original.

Rest in peace, Prince Be. Thanks for being part of my awkward teen years.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Gesundheit!

I really like Of the Heart, the Soul and of the Cross and am sad to hear this news. PM Dawn got made fun of at the time, but hip-hop has evolved into such a broad range of themes and tones that how much it sounds like The Chronic is pretty much a non-issue.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Denny Blazin' Hazen

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 AM

"The irony of it: the best East Coast rapper is selling his CDs on the street and holding an honest job. As a poet once asked: What happened to the world? I ask you."
Ka's really cool. I don't follow rap music as closely as I used to, but I always feel compelled to check out his stuff. If you like Gza or Prodigy, more subdued NY rap, Ka is similar, but not too derivative.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 AM
bunch of bozos

Wow that was dope. I didn't think anyone was making low key NY rap anymore. Thanks for the share.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:26 AM
concentrate

Too $hort

Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Shock G from Digital Underground had a really interesting interview way back in an issue of Waxpoetics magazine. Among other things, he talked about a stretch where he worked in a store in Oakland that rented and sold high-end audio equipment, which was a good way to run into all the local artists.

One day Too $hort comes in and he wants to rent a sampler, the most expensive piece in the store. He says, how much is the deposit? Shock G says, it's five grand, you gotta put down the entire purchase price. Too $hort says, okay, and puts down five thousand dollars in the form of a fat roll of 20s.

Tags
gangster rapsters , rap bands