The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-28-2016, 03:56 AM
just ignore my posts

Butcher's got a new series out, FYI. Only one book. The Aeronaut's Windlass. My sister loved it.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:35 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
I voted Bone number one because I figured it'd need the boost and damn it if I don't love that crazy little thing.
We get to a top 50 comic books list, then we are on the same page.

Book pun.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 AM
100% All Original

1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Golden Compass

3. Cloud Atlas
I guess this arguably isn't fantasy, but Mitchell is one of my favorite recent authors and it's close enough.

4. The Hero and the Crown
I'm kind of surprised this didn't make it, but I guess it's just relevant to me and I don't actually know how popular it is. A princess fights a dragon and an evil wizard, what is not to like?

5. Mistborn
6. Game of Thrones
7. The Black Cauldron
8. Mort by Terry Pratchett
9. Redwall
10. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
11. The Golem and the Djinni
12. A Wizard of Earthsea
13. Neverwhere
14. The Lies of Locke Lamora

15. Perdido Street Station
Surprised this didn't make it either. My favorite Mieville book, I think? They're all good.

16. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
This is the story about a woman who becomes a wizard's assistant that seems like it might be a Beauty and the Beast thing but isn't really that at all.

17. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
18. The Way of Kings
The first book in Sanderson's currently-running fantasy epic, and it doesn't star any stupid assholes like certain other fantasy epics I could name.

19. The Hobbit
20. Pawn of Prophecy
The first book of the Belgariad, which is the comfort food of fantasy epics. That series is like pretty good pizza.

21. Graceling
The first in a series of books about a fantasy land where some people are born with a "grace" that makes them supernaturally good at a certain task. It also stars a princess!

22. Abhorsen
I voted for this instead of Sabriel because it shares its name with the series. Lady necromancers are cool.

I gotta say this is a pretty great list (the actual list, not mine). There are only a couple books that I don't like - almost all the entries that I don't have on my list are because I haven't read them, and there's no complete trash. Looking at you, Transformers: The Movie.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Cool Bunny

Transformers: The Movie was and remains a top movie.

Anyway, here's me. It's a mix of stuff I've enjoyed recently and stuff I read as a kid that left an impression. I would have had The Book of Wonder high on my list except I didn't think of it as a novel.

1. King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table - Roger Lancelyn Green
This is one I had as a kid. Not sure if it holds up, but I still remember an early fight scene where two brothers each struck the other many blows that would have killed a lesser man. Also the illustrations are great.

2. Ragnarok - A.S. Byatt
3. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
4. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
5. The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle

Got this after the animated movies list. It did not disappoint.

6. Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
7. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
8. The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
9. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
10. A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin

11. The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
12. The Passion - Jeanette Winterson
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
14. Northern Lights - Philip Pullman

15. Magician - Raymond E. Feist
16. The Magicians - Lev Grossman
17. The Boy Detective Fails - Joe Meno
18. The Silver Chair - C.S. Lewis
19. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams
20. Do-It-Yourself Magic - Ruth Chew
Another one I read as a kid. Two kids buy a magic kit with a hammer in it that makes things big or small depending on which end of the hammer you hit them with. Guy breaks into their apartment, they shrink him with the hammer and he winds up in their toy castle. They make that bigger and it's populated by medieval types, adventure ensues, and the housebreaker (Chester, I think?) decides to live in the castle permanently while the kids go back to the normal world. I was kind of embarrassed to have it on my list, but having typed that summary I'm not anymore. It's great.

Thanks Loki, FL, and FM! Maybe we should all chip in and get FM a complete set of TT's favourite fantasy novels as thanks? Or alternatively, get her something she might actually want?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM
You blockhead

While I think it would be nice for us to get Falemomgic something I doubt there is anything we could give her that she wouldn't then set on fire.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
20. Do-It-Yourself Magic - Ruth Chew
Another one I read as a kid. Two kids buy a magic kit with a hammer in it that makes things big or small depending on which end of the hammer you hit them with. Guy breaks into their apartment, they shrink him with the hammer and he winds up in their toy castle. They make that bigger and it's populated by medieval types, adventure ensues, and the housebreaker (Chester, I think?) decides to live in the castle permanently while the kids go back to the normal world. I was kind of embarrassed to have it on my list, but having typed that summary I'm not anymore. It's great.
Yeah, that sound like a delight. I wouldn't say embarrassed, but I doubt I would want to go back to Jacob Two-Two. I can't imagine I'd enjoy it any more. Ogg, I'd be more into but that's because I still have an idea for a story about a nation that's set up to be as close to fiction as possible (because in fiction, things are generally more "significant") so everyone to a certain extent is making pretend as their whole lives.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 AM
This Guy

Thanks to everyone who helped do this list. It was quite entertaining.

Here's my list:

1: The Curse of Chalion Lois McMaster Bujold
2: The Dragon Reborn Robert Jordan
3: The Princess Bride William Goldman
4: Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell Susanna Clarke
5: The Hobbit JRR Tolkien
6: Mistborn Brandon Sanderson

7: The Dragonbone Chair Tad Williams - Its been a few years since I've read this, but I remember really enjoying this series. Most of the time I went with the first book in a series unless I specifically remembered liking one book over another.
8: The Lies of Locke Lamora Scott Lynch
9: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban JK Rowling
10: A Princess of Mars ER Burroughs - I have much the same take on this as Jeanie. While it is set on Mars, there is little science in this fiction.
11: The Eye of the World Robert Jordan
12: Outlander Diana Gabaldon
13: Pyrdain Chronicles Lloyd Alexander - I wasn't sure which book to choose, so I just put the whole series here. Im sure that didn't make things hard for anybody.
14: Paladin of Souls Lois McMaster Bujold - This one grabbed me almost as much as its predecessor, which was my #1. It should have been on the list.
15: The Once and Future King TH White
16: Wishsong of Shanara Terry Brooks - Most of the Shanara series is junk, but it was junk I read at a formative age and this book was always my favorite.
17: The Alloy of Law Brandon Sanderson
18: Redwall Brian Jacques

19: Talion: Revenant Michael Stackpole - The next five entries here are where I really let my love of fantasy junk reign free. I am fairly confiident this one would not hold up reading it 15 years later, but it was my favorite book for a time. That time was the year 2000.
20: The Way of Kings Brandon Sanderson - I like Sanderson, as my list attests.
21: Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn - The Thrawn Trilogy are the best Star Wars novels, and I'll fight about whether Star Wars is SciFi or Fantasy.
22: Assassin's Apprentice Robin Hobb - Typical fantast junk, with me voting for a series by putting the first book on the list.
23: Rhapsody Elizabeth Haydon - There is something in this series I remember greatly enjoying, but I don't quite recall what it was, so I tossed it on the bottom
24: The Gunslinger Stephen King
25: Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkien
Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Orbit View Post
Butcher's got a new series out, FYI. Only one book. The Aeronaut's Windlass. My sister loved it.
I'm halfway through it. The opening chapters drove me crazy ("Gwen, my daughter, you have, as you know, a duty to the house of Lancaster (to which you belong) to tend, as Lancasters do, to the crystals." "Yes, mother, but I also, as a citizen of Albion, which is the nation in which we live, have a duty, as citizens of Albion do, to enter the Albion service in defense of Albion."), but once it gets past the Expository Exposition bits (which takes too long, come on), it's pretty decent.

Oh, it also spends way too long talking about how cats think people are stupid. Yes, got it, move on.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

I liked the cat thing, myself, and liked the book on the whole as well.

It was definitely Jim Butcher writing a Firefly/Final Fantasy 13 crossover, though.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 AM

OK, in case anyone missed it, we are voting for the list after next. Yeah, I let things get out of hand. Will try to keep it more organized in the future. But if you want to host a list of your own, please go here and tell me the subject (please only do this if YOU are going to host/co-host).

http://talking-time.net/showpost.php...&postcount=215
Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM
the :motion: stands

No surprises, you're all a bunch of philistines.

Quote:
1. The Tortall Series - Tamora Pierce
2. The Olympians series - Rick Riordan
3. Fablehaven - Brandon Mull
4. Ranma 1/2 - Rumiko Takahashi
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Not a Beer

All you people who tried to get comics into this list better come vote for my Top 50 Graphic Novels list, just sayin'.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
21: Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn - The Thrawn Trilogy are the best Star Wars novels, and I'll fight about whether Star Wars is SciFi or Fantasy.

23: Rhapsody Elizabeth Haydon - There is something in this series I remember greatly enjoying, but I don't quite recall what it was, so I tossed it on the bottom
I prefer the X-Wing series a little more, but Thrawn is right behind it.

I almost added Rhapsody as well, since the first couple parts are pretty good, but the copy-paste in the later books as well as the nearly ten year gap between The Assassin King and The Merchant Emperor (which is out as well as the next part, The Hallow Queen, btw) kinda hurt my feelings for it.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
This Guy

I like those too. But I slightly prefer Zahn's stuff and I already had a Stackpole book on my list.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I love all the books on that list except for the three I've never heard of before. I'll have to go look those up on Amazon.
Just out of curiosity, which three hadn't you heard of before? Clearly I'll need to shill for them harder in the future.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
Just out of curiosity, which three hadn't you heard of before? Clearly I'll need to shill for them harder in the future.
OK, more like four
4. A Stranger in Olondria - Sofia Samatar
5. Black Wine - Candas Jane Dorsey
19. The Etched City, K.J. Bishop
23. Vathek - William Beckford

were completely new to me and I've heard of Valente but haven't read
17. Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente

Also I saw Ruth Chew on Yimothy's list and it reminded me of borrowing her books from my third-grade classroom. I don't remember which ones but Magic in the Park sounds familiar.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Holy Swine

Mine:

1. Storm of Swords
2. Game of Thrones
3. The Lies of Locke Lamora

4. Clash of Kings
5. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
6. Feast of Crows
7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
8. Lord of the Rings
9. The Name of the Wind
10. Neverwhere

11. The Left Hand of Darkness
12. The Hobbit
13. The Phantom Tollbooth
14. Small Gods
15. The Princess Bride
16. Mort
17. Mists of Avalon
18. Guards! Guards!
19. American Gods
20. Anansi Boys
21. A Wizard of Earthsea
22. Watership Down
23. A Wrinkle in Time
24. The Golden Compass

25. Going Postal
Old 03-29-2016, 06:09 AM
-ryn

My list was really short and included several books that I assume aren't actually considered good based on some of the comments, but they were what I had read.

The Hobbit was my number 1. As a very young boy, my dad would sit us down each night before bed and read us a chapter of the Hobbit. Its one of the most cherished memories I have of my dad. I have re-read The Hobbit more than any other book and I love it.

Lord of the Rings was also on my list, though not as high as 2. I knew it would get a lot of votes, so I pushed it down the list. After having Hobbit read to me, I had to read the next book. I was really too young and borrowed it from the library again and again. I think I revisted it as a teenager because I know I finished it and I don't think I finished it as a kid. Its a good book, but its so long. Hobbit is fun to come back to because it doesn't take long.

I want to thank Loki, Falselogic and his mom for running. I actually haven't read much "good" fantasy and I think that's why I haven't read much of it. GoT kinda re-invigorated my interest and I had finished the last book not long ago and this list has given me a reading list that I hope will help me gain a greater appreciation for good fantasy novels.

That said, I find it interesting that it seemed like up until the last couple, most entries on the list were debated. Many books had people who would chime in and say that they didn't like that book at all. Seems like books are a lot more hot and cold than other lists we've done.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 PM
...we're shy.

So much to my shame, I didn't end up submitting my list. Mostly because I got super busy around the deadline, but also because sharing things I like always makes me uncomfortable.

However, here is what I came up with, in order:
  1. Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede
  2. The Hobbit (Rankin/Bass Illustrated Edition)
  3. Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman
  4. The Golden Compass / Northern Lights - Philip Pulman
  5. Another Fine Myth - Robert Asprin
  6. The Amber Chronicles - Zelazny
  7. Goblins in the Castle - Bruce Colville
  8. Wizard in Glass - Stephen King
  9. The Wastelands - Stephen King
  10. Neverending Story - Michael Ende
  11. Mattimeo - Jacques
  12. Dead Beat - Jim Butcher
  13. Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban
  14. Clash of Kings - GRRM
  15. The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan
  16. Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
  17. Test of the Twins - Weiss & Hickman
  18. Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher - Bruce Colville
  19. So You Want to be a Wizard - Diane Duane
  20. The Witches - Dahl
  21. The Forever King - Molly Cochran & Warren Murphy
  22. The Once and Future King - Eliot
  23. The Wizard of Oz - Baum
  24. Talking to Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede
  25. Matilda - Dahl
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM
King Of Space-Time

Exclamation

OMG!

Neil Gaiman to Adapt Good Omens as a Miniseries With Terry Pratchett’s Posthumous Blessing
Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 PM

About damn time!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 AM
-ryn

I just want to post and say thank you again to folks that ran and voted in this thread. I'm still working on reading books from this list and it has been a treasure trove. I've read more books in the last year than any other time in my adult life and they have all been good.

I just started reading American Gods and holy cow is this a good book. I love the precise way things are described without being over detailed or stopping to describe everything. Its like an image coming in to focus as the scene plays.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:20 AM
You blockhead

Same here. I've read a bunch of books from this thread since then. Sabriel in particular was amazing.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Thanks to this bump, I ended up re-reading this entire thread. It's a good'n!

Tags
falsemomgic , mom logic , moms , olive oil , penalty for being bard , science fiction , top 50 countdown