The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-19-2016, 04:46 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Nothing of mine yet, but I basically expect very few of mine to make it aside from some obvious ones (also, my list includes one or two where I liked the books, but I never actually finished the books. I always got close, but then distracted.)

Nice to see the second Alice book made it so high. Never read them in full, but I have in passages and the Jabberwock is a highlight.

I DID end up seeing the TV movie of from the 80's a lot, which my sister had on VHS. The Jabberwock scene always scared me, but I imagine it looks sub-Power Rangers if I saw it today. I also remember similar feelings about the monsters from the 80's Babes in Toyland TV movie with Keanu Reeves and the guy from Empty Nest.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Don't know if Alice makes it eventually or not, but Looking Glass felt more like a work of fantasy (as opposed to the dream logic of Alice), especially with the titular looking glass entrance. And Jabberwocky. On the other hand, they're usually sold in one volume anyway.

It was on my long list!

I liked the Elenium books, especially the first half of the trilogy, where the knights ran around the kingdom doing knight things, but my interest decreased when they left and did quest stuff that was too reminiscent of the Belgariad books. So about halfway through the book that made the list.

I didn't nominate any WoT books but I liked the first few books the best, especially the more Arthurian parts. I also liked the section in book 2 where Rand is teleporting between alternate realities.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 AM
-ryn

I haven't read any of these so far, however I do remember in school we read Jabberwocky at a time when I was more interested in poetry and I thought very highly of it. I don't think I ever really connected where it came from though to read the book.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Much like I used to choose my video games based on which ones listed the longest play time on the back of the case, I used to choose my fantasy books based on how many volumes a series had, because more is always better, right? Compared to the other stuff that I purchased based on this metric, The Wheel of Time was amazing.

The food ain't great, but the portions are terrific!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I don't think I ever really connected where it came from though to read the book.
It's just presented as "and now here's a poem!" in Looking Glass anyway; it's not really integrated with the rest of the story.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I would have voted for Through The Looking Glass if I had remembered it existed and that it counts as fantasy, so yay!
I might have voted for it if I'd remembered that several things I thought were in Wonderland were actually from it instead. Whoops.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Don't know if Alice makes it eventually or not, but Looking Glass felt more like a work of fantasy (as opposed to the dream logic of Alice), especially with the titular looking glass entrance. And Jabberwocky. On the other hand, they're usually sold in one volume anyway.
Not to call you out but I'm curious. What about Wonderland makes it not-fantasy in your eyes. What's the crucial distinction between the two?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 AM
You blockhead

I've heard the term 'literary nonsense' applied to it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Wonderland has the "it was all a dream" ending that undermines the subcreation of Wonderland itself. It's a book of wacky ideas written by a mathematician that's a "fantasy" because it's fiction with unrealistic stuff in it. It feels more like Flatland or The Phantom Tollbooth where fantastic things exist as concepts to think about, a science fiction of dream logic. (See also Dr. Seuss, e.g., "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish").

When this finishes, I'll break out my long list and describe how I tried to cull it to books in the more narrow fairyland/subcreation genres, just as an artificial restriction for my help in making the list. But I found my boundaries between children's fiction / fantasy and horror / fantasy pretty fuzzy.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM

Please vote for this one:

Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM
is Earnest

Just got caught up on this, great stuff so far! I'd love it if people keep jumping in and commenting on stuff they nominated, since we can't expect Loki and FalseMom to know everything (anything?) about the winners.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 AM
#deadfish2017

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1964) - 41 points (Healy, Raven, Johnny Unusual)

You all know this one. Spare the rod and maim the child. Did you know that the whole fizzy lifting drink drama was invented for the film in order to create a climax? In the book Charlie is perfect and then wins it all. That fine but I'm not sure it would work in a movie.

“Whipped cream isn't whipped cream at all if it hasn't been whipped with whips, just like poached eggs isn't poached eggs unless it's been stolen in the dead of the night.”

FalseMomgic sayz:
[front cover] Well at least I recognize this one! Did you read this when you were little? (I tell her I didn’t) You should of. Seems better than all the swords and magic and monster stuff. I didn’t like the movie though. (I ask which one) What do you mean? The Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie! (I ask her if it’s the one with Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp.) They made another? The one with Wilder. It doesn’t make sense! There’s that girl who goes blue and then the elevator flies…

[back cover] talks more about the Wilder movie. Then asks me questions about the Johnny Depp one. Concluding that Depp is very strange and she only liked him in the first Pirates movie because he was too weird in the other ones.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Huh, I never would have considered that one. I'm not about to argue that it's not fantasy (in fact, the more that I think about it, the more that it fits), but it certainly doesn't trip my own internal "fantasy" switch when I consider it.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 AM
hi there

To be fair, it's 0.5 for 3 on the "Swords, Magic, and Exposed Cleavage" (SMEC) Scale. And it only gets the half because the factory could be magic.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 AM
is Earnest

I never actually read that one, but I'm a huge Roald Dahl fan otherwise. He had an amazing life as a WWII flying ace and then as a spy, and his non-fiction is pretty great too.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
#deadfish2017

Wily Wonka is clearly a wizard. A confectionmancer.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 AM

Good call on Willy Wonka. I think ALL his fiction is considered fantasy pretty much
Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Default This is Fine - Top 50 Fantasy Novels

Yeah, this is what I meant about my ideas on the difference between fantastic children's books and fantasy being fairly undefined.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:03 AM
-ryn

good call on Charlie. Man, I didn't really think of books like that at all for my list.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Huh, I never would have considered that one. I'm not about to argue that it's not fantasy (in fact, the more that I think about it, the more that it fits), but it certainly doesn't trip my own internal "fantasy" switch when I consider it.
I'd have put it on the list if it had occurred to me as fantasy.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meant a lot to me as a kid. Dahl helped introduce me to black humour in an accessible way. Yes, Charlie is fairly whimsical and goofy, but Dahl could really get dark when he wanted. Before, I was just a bit too sensative about characters having nasty things happen to them (which is pretty common in Dahl's works). I remember the sequel book, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, being particularly upsetting, with Charlie and Willy heading to a space hotel where people are eaten one by one by an alien creature. It's been a long time, but I feel pretty confident I remembered that correctly.

Also, I loved his fairy tale parody books, which I remember reading over and over again.

Bums me out to hear that he was something of a racist, like a real life Atticus Finch. But I suppose the Oompa Loompas were a pretty big red flag.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Safe Space

The book is good. The Gene Wilder movie has a lot of humour that seems out of place, though.

Has anyone else read the sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator? It goes a kind of creepy direction, with the family and Wonka traveling to a space station where they confront bloblike aliens and have to rescue a space shulttle. Later, one of Charlie's grandmothers de-ages into limbo and they have to rescue her...

Come to think of it, it sounds way to similar to a Doctor Who episode. No wonder it was never adapted to film.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Not only did I read the sequel, I wrote fan fiction based on it when I was in first grade.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The book is good. The Gene Wilder movie has a lot of humour that seems out of place, though.
Interesting. I've never heard that take before. For me, the film is preeeeeeeeeeeeeettty close to perfect.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:44 AM
...we're shy.

Not the Dahl book I picked, but a solid choice! I gave Elevator a chance once, but couldn't get past the vermicious knid.

The only part of the Wilder Wonka film I remember not liking is the song that Charlie's Mom sings. Otherwise, it's great!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Serial Thread Killer

I read the book long ago, after I had seen the movie. It never occurred to me how dark it was till after I read the book.

I'm half expecting to see The Witches show up on the list now. But probably not.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
#deadfish2017

Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson (2011) - 42 points (Rascally Badger, Octopus Prime, JFink)

Sanderson's follow-up to Mistborn, set some 300 years in the future. It's on my to-read list and I'm not going to spoil myself by looking up a synopsis. From what I understand it's Mistborn + cowboys and that sounds pretty dang fun. Those in the know say it's a rootin tootin good time. People all shooting their pistols through a saloon window, then using the bullets to launch themselves onto a horse or so I imagine.

“Wayne's a little attached to that hat," Waxillium said. "He thinks it's lucky."

"It is lucky. I ain't never died while wearing that hat."

FalseMomgic sayz:
[front cover] How many of these are there? (I tell her 50) I’m not doing fifty of these! I don’t know anything about any of these books! What is this for again? (I try to explain it to her. This was a mistake. As she can’t seem to wrap her head around why I’d “waste” so much time with my “internet friends”) At least there aren’t any knights on this cover or monsters. Why is there a gun? Do they have guns in these books?

[back cover] What are these words? (I just say Allomancy and Feruchemy are magic) Why do they need magic? They have trains and everything. Seems silly.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yay, I finally got one!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Serial Thread Killer

Loki, I didn't know you and I were internet friends. I would have totally invited you to the Christmas party!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Bertolli?!?...

In a world of trains, what need for magic?

I had a similar conversation with my own mother about these lists last night, when I called her for help with remembering some of my favourite snacks. I should have just told her that I was filling out a survey. >_<

Tags
falsemomgic , mom logic , moms , olive oil , penalty for being bard , science fiction , top 50 countdown